New Project

The Dull One

The moment L stepped into the classroom the next day, his eyes searched the classroom for that one particular girl he had been wondering about for the previous night.

Jaekyung.

He saw her sitting at the corner of the class as usual, reading a book intently as completely unaware of whatever was happening around her.

He took this chance of her lack of awareness to look at her features closely.

He hadn't been able to figure how in the world she and his girlfriend were sisters. They looked nothing alike, nothing.

But then again if she wanted to hide how she looked so she could be a wallflower, it wouldn't be that easy to tell either.

*Wait, does that mean underneath all that Lee Jaekyung might actually be pretty?* L wondered.

Jaekyung tapped her chin as she read on, unaware that a guy was scrutinizing her entire face.

Dongwoo shuffled over to Woohyun's seat and they began talking about soccer. As L sat down at his chair, he maneuvered himself such that he could turn around, pretend to listen in on the conversation, and sneak peeks at the girl.

"Man you should have seen number 18 yesterday! He was awesome! That high kick across the field and BAM! It went in!" Dongwoo exclaimed excitedly.

"I know right!" Woohyun nodded. "The keeper had no chance!"

L pretended to nod as his gaze darted over to her again. He studied her almond face shape, similar to Chaekyung's.

She had those large eyes she hid behind the glasses. They sparkled with knowledge and curiosity, her hazel brown pupils glistening in this oddly sparkling manner he never noticed before.

*Hers are browner.* L thought. *I think Chaekyung's are black. Or are they equally brown again?*

He moved on to her cute nose and then pink lips. They were pressed in a firm line as she read on, apparently reaching some sort of of of the book.

L tried to recall Chaekyung's lips. He realized he hadn't really looked at it before. Or they were just always curved in a smile while Jaekyung's smiles were few and sparse unless something good happened.

Somehow that made her smile more previous, something he would like to see more often.

*To be completely honest, I think they might look alike. Under that thick woolen sweater of hers and the horrendous hair.* L concluded.

*Well MAYBE,* L mused. *Maybe Lee Jaekyung might even be prettier than her sister!*

Just at this instant, Jaekyung seem to finally sense a pair of eyes on her. She blinked and looked up from her book, her eyes connecting with L's at first glance.

She raised her brows questioningly at him and L fought hard not to blush from being caught staring. L just shrugged and gave her a meanest expression he could conjure, turning back to his hyungs as if he had just been accidentally looking at her when she glanced over.

L saw Jaekyung make a face from the corner of his eye and return her attention to the book.

*Well. That was close.* L thought to himself. *And what were you thinking? Of course she isn't as pretty as Chaekyung right?*

Chaekyung was his girlfriend, his girlfriend, he repeated in his mind. He better not forget that.

-----

The Infinite boys were walking to the cafeteria to have their lunch break where Chaekyung and her friends would be joining that day. Woohyun seemed exceptionally excited that he would be sitting with his girlfriend and very nearly bounced as he walked.

They arrived at the cafeteria and saw that the girls were already at the table. Woohyun bounded over to Yoomi while L smiled politely at Chaekyung. "Hi." he sat down beside her.

Chaekyung brightened and gave him a large beam. "Hello L oppa!" she chirped.

They ate their lunch in merry chatter. Bomi and Dongwoo kept fighting over the food while Soomi looked like she was too cool for even Infinite's lame chatter.

L looked at Chaekyung when she wasn't looking, trying to figure out of her features matched those of Jaekyung's he had studied earlier.

They were very similar indeed. Chaekyung's face was rounded, her eyes darker, her skin tanner due to the cheerleading. But other than that, they looked really similar, but very different at the same time.

Chaekyung went to throw her rubbish away and Hoya nudged L from the side. "I know you like her, but if you stare at her like that with any more intensity, you'll turn into a second Woohyun hyung." he mused.

L shook his head. "No no. I was just thinking. Don't you think Lee Jaekyung and Chaekyung look alike?"

"WHATTTT?" Hoya threw up the kimbap he was eating and Soomi grimaced. "Hoya oppa!" she shuddered.

"Mianhae." Hoya cleared it up embarrassedly and shot L a look. "You must either mad or blind to say that. How are they alike? You're going bonkers L, go see a doctor."

L sulked and stabbed at his rice. *But they do!*







A few days later, another Newsletter meeting was held. The previous newsletter was a big hit with many discussing the front page news that had been written by L and Jaekyung.

L had gazed at the part where they had put "written by Lee Jaekyung and Kim Myungsoo" for a dozen times, feeling proud of himself.

The next meeting was to give ideas for the topics to be written in the newsletter two weeks later.

"I have an idea," Jessica giggled. "Why don't we do an interview with L and Chaekyung? Everyone wants to know more about this brand new hit couple and it doesn't help that you two do nothing to satisfy our thirst for information! Not a single skinship moment!"

L reddened. "No way." he instantly refused. "We're just...you know...beginning."

Jaekyung nodded. She didn't want to expose her sister's private like for the entire school. "The newsletter is for news, not gossip." she reminded. "Inspiring information, things with a cause. Not an entertainment column."

Jessica sulked and Krystal bumped shoulders with her, shaking her head to tell her not to continue her quest for gossip columns.

"How about animals?" L suddenly blurted.

Jaekyung looked at him curiously and Yoseob gestured for him to elaborate. Teacher Jung leaned forward in interest as well.

"Uh well," L explained. "The number of pet animals that are being abandoned are increasing by the day. It's important for the teenagers these days to know the responsibilities of having a pet, instead of the initial interest that fades."

Jaekyung nodded, thinking. It sounded pretty goo to be honest, even though she didn't want to agree with L.

Teacher Jung nodded. "What do you think, Jaekyung?"

Jaekyung shifted in her seat and L turned to look at her in interest. *Wonder what she'd say.*

Jaekyung cleared and avoided L's eyes. "I think it's a pretty good idea actually." she confessed. "Because people don't usually know what it does to the animals when they are abandoned. It's good to raise awareness on this matter."

L blinked in surprise and bit back a smile. *She agrees.*

Teacher Jung smiled. "All of you agreeable?"

There came nods from everyone and she clapped her hands. "So that's it, this will be the front page news for the next issue. Jaekyung and L will be in charge of this as usual. The others, you already know your niche area right? So meeting dismissed."

The others packed their bags quickly and darted out of the room behind Teacher Jung.

Jaekyung piled her papers neatly and packed them in her bag. She dropped a pen and bent down to pick it up, coming vis-a-vis with a pair of sleek grey sneakers with neon yellow laces.

She blinked up at the pair of legs and saw L looking down at her. Her cheeks unconsciously heated up and she quickly stood up, regaining her calm.

"You're still here?" she murmured.

L grinned and leaned nearer. "You agreed with my idea." he stated. "Didn't think it was possible."

Jaekyung shot him a look. "As much as I would have liked to, I am helpless against my own views against you, Kim Myungsoo. I'll support a good idea when I hear one."

L grinned. "Still." he shrugged. "Shocking."

Jaekyung picked up her bag and waited for him to leave the room before she locked it up. She found him still waiting for her as he sauntered by her side.

"You like animals?" L asked. "You seemed to be really defensive and passionate for this cause, just now."

Jaekyung let her lips curl in a small smile. "Yeah. But I like cats the most." she murmured, thinking about the school cat and her kittens.

"Oh?" L mused. "Just like your sister right?" he thought of how Chaekyung was the one who fed the kittens every single day. "Chaekyung likes kittens too right?"

Jaekyung stopped in her tracks and stared at him. "What?"

L looked back at her, puzzled. "I said, Chaekyung likes cats too right?"

Jaekyung nodded slowly and let out a small sound of agreement.

She secretly scratched her head in confusion. *But Chaekyung hates cats.*