[eight]

Catch Taemin If You Can
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

December wind was cutting in the morning. Taemin locked the front door and started out his driveway when he met ahjumma coming in. She held up an outdated scarf wrapped around her neck, explaining that her young son bought it as a Christmas present for her. Taemin complimented on how nice it looked on her and hurried out of the driveway. Puffs of steam formed as he gave out an empty chuckle. Everybody else was anguished about what kind of present they should give to their parents while there he was, anguished about not being able to give a present even if he wanted to. The sad thing was, Taemin thought, both of his parents were perfectly alive.

Taemin sauntered up the hill to his school alone, he didn't see Jongin on the way and that meant he was still mad at him. He stopped by the school cafeteria for a quick grab of breakfast before the bell rang. A perky voice greeted Taemin from behind as he paid for his two Aero bars.

“Chocolate for breakfast, huh? Why am I not surprised.”

Taemin turned to find Soojung waving at him with her cheeks bright red from the cold. She took off her gloves and snatched one Aero bar from his hands.

“Kinda early, but thanks!”
“…What are you doing.”
“Receiving a Christmas present.”

Soojung said and took a bite. Taemin glared at her viciously and the girl smiled back.

“Come to the old piano room after school, I have something to give you.”
“What, a box of poisoned chocolates?”
“How did you know? It’s weird how we’re not dating, we’re like made for each other.”
“Don’t you dare repeat yourself.”
“See? Even that sharp tongue and that sarcastic humour.”
“I'm not being sarcastic…”
“Don't worry, I just want to give you a present for doing me such a favour. See you then!”

Before Taemin could respond, Soojung waved to her group of friends that were passing by and joined them. Taemin took a bite of his chocolate, chewed, then threw the candy into the garbage bin. His tongue tasted too bitter.

He walked over to the door that lead to the field outside, and saw Jongin warming up with the other guys in his soccer team. The gray soccer uniform made Jongin seem even taller than he was, suiting him really nicely. Taemin watched his friend hop over orange pylons to the curt whistles and remembered his irritated face from last night.

'Was I being too harsh?'

Whatever the case was, Jongin was sincere about Soojung and Taemin didn’t have the right to mock it. A girl came in through the door and Taemin woke up from his thoughts to see a familiar face. A lollipop was sticking out from and Taemin remembered. Choi Sulli. The girl with a mindless expression, sprouting a four-dimensional – no cross that – a fifty-nine dimensional aura with a lollipop in .

"Oh hi, we meet again. I'm Choi Sulli."

She pointed to her own face.

“You?”
“Oh, I’m…”
“Lee Taemin.”

She read off from Taemin’s nametag before he could finish.

“I heard you’re popular.”
“Who says?”
“Everybody.”
“You know everybody?”
“I don’t know anyone. I’m new.”

Taemin nodded. That was why Taemin had never seen her before. Sulli leaned against the door and continued.

“Girls in my class are wrapping presents for you.”

Feeling a tad embarrassed, Taemin coughed drily and they both moved their gaze back to the field. Back to Kim Jongin to be specific, where Taemin’s eyes took him naturally. Sulli took out a small gift-wrapped box from her bag.

“......?”

Taemin realized that Sulli stared absentmindedly most of the time instead of answering ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ like a regular person. Sulli pointed out the glass window after some time.

“It’s for him.”

At the end of her fingertip was none other than Jongin. Taemin's eyebrows soared, the girl didn't seem to be in her right mind to be preparing a gift for a boy when she just came to this school a few days ago. Sulli looked back at Taemin.

“Are you close to him?”
“Uh… Yeah. Kind of.”
“Does he have a girlfriend?”

Taemin hesitated.

“Yea.”

Disappointment drew in Sulli's face, changing her blank expression to a frown for the first time.

“They have been going out for a long time actually, about eight years…”
“That long?”
“Yeah, so you shouldn’t really-”
“Hm. Doesn’t really matter though. Be right back.”

Sulli cut Taemin off and opened the door to the field. She is definitely something strange, Taemin thought as he stared after the girl skipping down to the field. She stopped, turned back, and waved at him brightly. Confused as to if he should ignore her or wave back, Taemin awkwardly raise

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter