[final chapter]

Catch Taemin If You Can
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Catch Taemin If You Can; [final chapter]

☆click→ ♬ bgm_catch me

 

 

 

 

 

It was four o’clock in the morning by the time they headed for the beach. Carrying a flashlight in each of their hands, Taemin, Jongin, Chanyeol, Soojung and Sulli were walking towards the best spot (apparently, according to Sulli's uncle) to see the sunrise. The only sound in the dark was the crunching leaves below their feet. Jongin was walking in front of him and Taemin took after his steps. He hadn’t talked to Jongin all morning.

 

 

Taemin didn’t want to hear what he dreaded the most. Not yet, at least.

 

 

“What do you think he means?”

 

 

Chanyeol asked as he slung his arm around Taemin’s shoulders.

 

 

“…Too bad you can’t major in eavesdropping.”

 

 

Taemin turned to Chanyeol, chuckling at the fact that he wasn’t even surprised anymore. 

 

 

“Hey, he’s the weirdo that says things out loud.”

 

 

Chanyeol shrugged and Taemin looked ahead bitterly.

 

 

“…….”

 

 

“That’s just unfair.” Chanyeol suddenly said.

 

 

“…Jongin is just…” Taemin started, but Chanyeol cut him off.

 

 

“I’m not talking about him. I’m talking about you.”

 

 

Taemin halted in his spot, and Chanyeol dragged him forth. 

 

 

“I mean, you had your chance to do everything. You dated a hell of a lot of hot girls, and you had your time in getting frustrated over yourself and concluding that you were in love with your best friend. Don’t you think Jongin needs an equal amount of time?”

 

 

“…What are you saying?”

 

 

“All I’m saying is that you had an early start when Jongin didn’t even know the game had started. That’s called cheating.”

 

 

“…….”

 

 

Taemin guessed he was beginning to understand what Chanyeol was saying. Just a little.

 

 

“You’re dying to know what his decision is, right?”

 

 

Chanyeol asked cheerfully, his grin marking that signature twitch on his face.

 

 

“I’m dying to get rid of you.”

 

 

Taemin retorted and Chanyeol smirked. 

 

 

“I’ll give you a hint. Jongin just needed the right things to happen at the right time for him to realize the ing obvious.”

 

 

Chanyeol drew his head closer and whispered into Taemin’s ears.

 

 

“Which I made a huge contribution to. You should really thank me for helping you.”

 

 

“The fact that you think you were of any ‘help’ is actually so sad-”

 

 

Taemin started dubiously, as Chanyeol slid his arm up around Taemin’s head and brought him closer.

 

 

“You’re right. A thank you isn’t enough.”

 

 

Chanyeol whispered again, and Taemin turned towards him.

 

 

“What are you-”

 

 

Taemin couldn’t finish. With the fastest peck on the lips Taemin has ever seen, Chanyeol kissed Taemin right on the lips before parting away in less than a second. Chanyeol unraveled his arms and skipped ahead.

 

 

“Wow, I see the beach! We’re here, right?!”

 

 

He chirped, running ahead of everyone and landing on the sandy beach first. Taemin just groaned. 

       

 

 

 

 

 

 

When Taemin reached the beach, the ocean was wavering black. A wooden wharf stood lonely over the waters and Taemin could tell that the place wasn’t usually open for leisure. The wharf stretched about ten meters from the sand, and a boat was tied at the end of the bridge.

 

 

The wood creaked with every step he took, and Taemin crossed his fingers that the wharf wouldn’t break and let him be engulfed by the dark sea. The further they walked across the wooden planks, the bluer the water turned. The wind got stronger without any walls around them.

 

 

Maybe it was because they were still drowsy from the sleep, or because the weather was cold. Or most probably because the sea at dawn was even more beautiful than they had expected. But the five friends were unusually hushed. Without a word, everyone stared out into the sea. Taemin’s face felt numb from the cutting wind.

 

 

“What are you going to wish for?” Sulli suddenly asked.

 

 

“Who are you asking?” Soojung muffled underneath her scarf.

 

 

“Everyone.”

 

 

Nobody answered.

 

 

“What about you?” Jongin spoke up.

 

 

“Hm…” Sulli fell into a deep contemplation before coming up with an answer. “World peace.”

 

 

“…….”

 

 

“Look!”

 

 

Sulli yelled loudly before anyone had a chance to react. The sun was rising. It slowly revealed itself, painting the water orange from the end of its horizon. As if waking up from a deep sleep, the waters shimmered in gold and hummed in bright silver. The gradient of colours were breathtaking, and everybody closed their mouths at the miraculous sight. The sun rose over the horizon in a beautiful arc.

 

 

Taemin turned left to see Jongin’s face illuminated brightly. He gazed over the waters again when the familiar warmth touched his hand. Taemin looked down and saw Jongin’s hand clutching his. On his right, Chanyeol raised his arm and covered the sun with his palms. A shadow drew on his face, and Chanyeol suddenly clenched his hand to a fist. Grinning to himself, Chanyeol turned to Taemin.

 

 

“…Look what I caught.” He snickered. “The sun.” 

 

 

“You definitely did.”

 

 

Taemin laughed, and Chanyeol’s brows soared mischievously.

 

 

“It’s your turn now.” He said, lowering his arm and taking a step back. “Go catch.”

 

 

And before Taemin could question what he meant, Chanyeol gave Taemin a 'light slap' on the back. Completely unprepared, (who would’ve thought that one would push someone into the waters in the middle of freezing winter) Taemin lost balance and fell right into the sea.

 

 

“AH!!!! PARK-ASLKJ-CHAN-FALKDFJS-YEOL…..”

 

 

Taemin gurgled, flailing his arms over the waters without success. His teeth chattered in the cold and salty water flowed into his mouth continuously that Taemin couldn’t even yell at Chanyeol properly. He flapped his arms and legs, trying to reach the wooden pole of the wharf when suddenly, there was a loud splash. Taemin could barely open his eyes from the splashing of waves, but it was Jongin’s wet face that he saw through the furious blinks. Jongin swam over and held Taemin’s body under the waters. Jongin grinned and Taemin laughed in relief, unwillingly sputtering salty water onto Jongin’s face in the process.

 

 

“AHHHH!!!”

 

 

There was a loud shriek and Soojung splashed into the sea in the most ridiculous pose possible. Soojung’s head popped out from the waves and the morning dawn shattered with her scream.  

 

 

“ YOU PARK CHANYEOL I’M GOING TO KILL YOU AS SOON AS I GET UP THERE!!!”

 

 

She screeched, towards Chanyeol who was now practically crying and dying from the laughter. He suddenly whipped his head towards Sulli, and Sulli staggered back in fear. Taemin could only make out Sulli backing away over the tide, until there was another huge splash and the tide rode over their heads again. Taemin sputtered and wiped his face when an unexpected voice cried over the waters.

 

 

“WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT, CHOI SULLI JUST THREW ME OVER-”

 

 

Chanyeol’s voice drowned as Sulli ran across the wharf and canon-balled into the waters. 

         

 

 

 

 

 

 

The gang was met with a much disapproved Sulli’s uncle when they stepped into the resort. He gawked at the shivering teenagers as he handed them dry towels. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter