[thirty-two]

Catch Taemin If You Can
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was ten in the evening by the time Taemin escaped from the cabinet and reached for his phone he left on Coach Kang’s desk. After having to endure thirty minutes of the security guard preaching about the consequences of locking themselves in a cabinet, the boys were finally free to go.




Taemin seriously felt his health being threatened as he sauntered down the street. Wondering at how he even had the energy to be walking, Taemin glided like a zombie when his eyes landed on a figure lingering in front of his house underneath the lamppost. Thinking that it could be Jongin, Taemin froze and hid himself behind a garbage bin until he realized that it was Soojung, steam puffing out of her head as if to break into Taemin’s house.

 


…Right, that goddamn dinner promise he made…


 

Taemin disheveled his hair as the tensity of his body eased. Taemin sighed, he had no idea how the he was going to deal with her temper at this state, and he approached her in front of the gates. As Soojung’s eyes flashed viciously in the dark, Taemin felt both the irritation and fear rising from the pit of his empty stomach.


 

“…You really want a piece of me, don’t you!?” Soojung screeched, stomping towards Taemin in a huff.


 

“No, not really…”


 

“Where the hell were you until now!? Do you have any idea how long I waited for you outside the school gates, you inconsiderate bastard!!!”


 

Taemin winced at Soojung’s deafening roar.


 

“Shut up, people are sleeping!” Taemin hissed, trying to cover Soojung’s mouth. “It’s not like I ditched you on purpose, I…”


 

“Oh, as if that’s supposed to be an excuse!? My ing gauge is full blast, I just haven’t decided how I’m going to kill you with the lack of tools I have right now-”


 

“Oh my god, if that goddamn dinner is so ing important to you then just come inside and I’ll shove some down your throat!!”


 

Taemin yelled, and witnessed Soojung’s red fuming face suddenly switch into a brilliant smile. Leaving Soojung squealing to herself, Taemin hastily rushed into his house. Soojung floundered right behind him, and Taemin hoped tonight would just pass by without any violation of some sort.


 

Watching Soojung happily bounce here and there inside his house for a minute, Taemin walked over to the kitchen. Taemin himself was as hungry as hell, and he planned to serve Soojung the ing dinner so that she could go home already. The ahjumma must’ve come and left today, for there were new side dishes made in the fridge and Taemin laid them out on the kitchen table. Placing two ricebowls on the table, Taemin called Soojung and the girl tumbled in. Moving her bowl and chopsticks from its initial place, Soojung plopped down right next to Taemin’s chair.


 

“Jung Soojung, go back to your spot.” Taemin tried to push the girl back, but Soojung didn’t budge.


 

“It’s cozier this way, Taemin-ah.” Soojung smiled brightly, reaching for her spoon. “Now, shut the up and let’s eat.”


 

Unable to adjust to her overly-bubbly atmosphere, Taemin watched Soojung eat as she commented on every little mundane thing inside his bare house. Fitting the title Paran High’s Angel (well, probably not anymore but still), Soojung had the long wavy hair that guys fantasized for, and a radiant smile that could fool anybody to anything. Soojung had the entire package, and Taemin didn’t understand why she was so stuck on liking him.


 

“…Why is it that you never last a week with your boyfriends?” Taemin asked, after taking a sip of water.


 

“I told you.” Soojung replied, looking up from her eggroll. “I like you, and they’re not you.”


 

“…Come on, there’s got to be something else.” Taemin placed his cup down as he narrowed his eyes to a frown. “I know you, Soojung. C’mon tell me the truth.”


 

Soojung’s chewing ceased and her shoulders slumped as she laid her chopsticks down on the table.


 

“…Probably because I’m not what they expect me to be.” Soojung sighed.


 

“Meaning…?”


 

“My personality.” Soojung said quietly, staring at the rice in front of her. “Everyone thinks I’m a .”


 

“…That’s not exactly top secret, there’s no need for whispering.” Said Taemin, earning a punch in the shoulder.


 

“So I try to hide it, and well… the act can’t last forever, can it?” Soojung shrugged after a short-lived glare.


 

“So drop the mask. Why do you make your life so unnecessarily complicated when…”


 

“Because everyone expects the ideal.” Soojung cut Taemin off. “Do you know what everyone says to me? Why does a pretty girl like you talk like that? You don’t seem like the type to do this judging by your face, and just… ugh. So I tried living up to their expectation and everyone seemed to love me. And um well, that’s how I came this far.”  


 

“Expectation my .” Taemin scoffed, taking the last slice of ham on the table. “You really suit your y personality, trust me. Just be yourself.”


 

“…I don’t know what ‘being myself’ is anymore.” Soojung answered bitterly. “It’s just so ing hard.”


 

Taemin looked at Soojung’s slumped shoulders as she went back to eating. Taemin didn’t notice before, but the girl looked absolutely exhausted. Taemin casually moved the last piece of ham he was holding and placed it on Soojung’s bowl. Soojung turned her head towards Taemin, and her face brightened.


 

“But when I’m with you, I become the real Jung Soojung. I become myself.” She chirped. “It’s so easy, you know the real me anyways so I don’t have to pretend or act like something I’m not.”


 

“…That is pretty convincing.”


 

“I KNOW RIGHT” Soojung flailed, and Taemin had to shove the ham in to calm her down.


 

As if to prove her point, Soojung emptied two full bowls of rice when she usually faked her oh-I’m-so-full-after-one-bite act at the school cafeteria. Ignoring Taemin’s muttering about not having food left for Jieun, Soojung bounced out to the living room and made herself comfortable on the couch.


 

“You had your wish, now go home.” Taemin ordered as he leaned against the wall.


 

“It’s only eleven.”


 

“ONLY? It’s ING eleven, you mindless bimbo.”


 

“Oh you’re such a gentleman, Lee Taemin.” Soojung cackled and fell to her side on the couch. “So,” She started. “You like Jongin, huh.”


 

Taemin hesitated before answering, and Soojung smirked as if she knew he couldn’t answer. When she reached for the TV remote, Taemin opened his mouth.


 

“…Yeah I do.”


 

Soojung lifted herself up at Taemin’s curt answer. She stared wordlessly and Taemin pretended to be fascinated by the ticking clock on the wall until he heard Soojung’s voice, rather low.


 

“…Shouldn’t have asked.”


 

Taemin met her gaze again, and she curled a long strand of hair with her finger.


 

“It really does feel different. From assuming the obvious to actually hearing it from you.” She said. Then Soojung jumped to her feet, startling Taemin in the process and reached for her backpack.


 

“You’re right, I should go.” Soojung smiled and headed out, until Taemin stopped her at the doors.


 

“Hey,”


 

Soojung turned around. Taemin wanted to ask Soojung what she thought of Jongin’s behavior towards Taemin. The girl claimed to have liked him even wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter