Selca

Through The Lens

 

Alright, camera up, chin down, eyes wide, don’t blink.
Click.
Swing it around, take a peek. Ugh, eye looks wonky. Try again.
Camera up, chin down, eyes wide, don’t blink.
Click.

            Zinger had been sitting there for several minutes already, going through the same process over and over. There were some decent pictures, but for the most part, she wasn’t satisfied. Her jaw was too round; her eyes were too small; her cheeks were too large.

            She loved her body, she really did, but sometimes, being surrounded by the tiny girls of the entertainment industry got to her. Their waists were as wide around as rose stems – and her waist was a tree trunk in comparison.

            Zinger sighed. She raised the camera up above her head.

            Okay, let’s try this again.
            Camera up, chin down, eyes wide, don’t blink.

            Hyunseung walked past the door and then backtracked to it. He watched as Zinger looked at the screen of the camera, slumped over in frustration with a groan, and then, after a moment, collected herself as she lifted the camera again.

            He saw her squinch up her eyes and raise the corners of her lips for an ‘eyesmile.’
            Click.
            The smile was gone.

            One more time.
            Camera up, chin down, eyes wide, don’t blink.
            “Here, let me take a picture for you.”
            A strong hand appeared in front of Zinger’s eyes and firmly took the camera from her.
            She looked up in confusion at Hyunseung’s chiseled face.
            “Oh, no, it’s okay, I’m just taking selcas. I -”
            Hyunseung shook his head. The camera was already in his hands.

            Camera up, chin down, eyes wide, don’t blink.
            Camera not up.
            Hyunseung-ssi, please raise the camera up. Please -

            Hyunseung got up and kneeled right in front of Zinger. He crooked a finger under her chin and gently lifted it up. After a second, he moved back and set the camera straight on her face. Hyunseung looked up from the screen and directly into Zinger’s eyes.

             “Beautiful,” he murmured.

            Click.