A Little Closer

Guardian of an Obnoxious
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

You should know the drill: Long Chapter Ahead! :D

 

Luhan leaned his shoulder against the wall near the girls’ bathroom and waited for a certain someone to come out. He was determined to have her come clean about the mess she caused and making you the blame of it all angered him even more.                                  

After a minute, Hee Jin finally stepped out and was taken aback by Luhan’s presence. She hitched a low breath and her muscles stiffened as he glared at her with razor sharp eyes.

“L-Luhan…what are you doing here?” She bit her lower lip and looked at him with innocence.

“I think you know why I’m here.” He walked over to her and she took a step back. “Don’t you have something you need to clear up?”

“I don’t believe I do.” She furrowed her eyebrows.

“It’ll be nice if you put away that act of yours.” He said impatiently. “I don’t have time for that.”

“It’s not like you ever gave me any of your time.” Hee Jin glared at him.

“You’re still the same aren’t you, Hee Jin?” Luhan stared at her emotionlessly. “After all these years….”

“And you still don’t trust me. Between that girl and me, you’ll choose her, won’t you?” She clenched her fists tightly. “No matter how hard I try, you’ll never see me that way.”

“There’s nothing between us anymore. I made that clear a long time ago. Stop doing these kinds of things just to get your way.” Luhan’s voice remained controlled even though he was obviously infuriated. “Hurting yourself and going to Kai’s house won’t change the way I feel about you either. Don’t hurt yourself more than you already are.” He paused before continuing. “….and don’t even dare bring Ah Ri into this.

“Then why did you pick me up when I called you?” Hee Jin trembled slightly. “If I no longer matter to you…why did you even bother to show up?”

“Because I know how you are and you went to Kai’s house not because you had nowhere else to go, you went there just to meet Ah Ri—to see if she really does live with him.” Luhan glowered. “If I didn’t come get you, the only person who’ll get hurt in the end would have been Ah Ri. You’re only doing this because I’ve set my eyes on her.”

Hee Jin scoffed and she felt herself getting angrier by every mention of your name. “So….you found another attachment…a new replacement? Is she going to become someone you can’t live without too? Just like that mute girl—”

“Shut up.” Luhan snapped coldly at her. “You don’t have the right to say her name. Never…”

Hee Jin eyes welled up with tears but she held them back. “And you think I was the only one who drove her away? She died not because of me….she died because of you. You turned your back on her and—”

Luhan grabbed her by the shoulders and pushed her against the wall heatedly. “You’re wrong. I’ve never once turned my back on her, but I pretended to in order to protect her and you took advantage of that. She died because of US. Everything—everything happened just the way you’d planned. I don’t en want to hear you talk about her ever again. No, you don’t even deserve to think of her. I’m going to make things clear… if you’re trying to prevent me from getting closer to Ah Ri, it will never work out the way you hope. So don’t waste your time trying to harm her just to get me to do what you want. Like how you hurt Minah, I won’t let you hurt Ah Ri.”

“You really have fallen for her…” Hee Jin sneered turning her head to the side. “To hear you say those words are actually quite surprising. You should have been stronger when that mute girl was still alive. Replacing her with that freak Ah Ri won’t make up for her death at all. I wonder what she’d think or feel if she knew she had already been replaced so soon.”

 

That’s where you’re also wrong. She IS Minah…and you’ll never know that.

 

“Don’t wonder…don’t even think about her feelings either. This time, stay out of my business—my life, leave it up for me to live it the way I want to. You’ve done enough…” Luhan let go of her and began to walk away.

“You’d never given me a chance...” Hee Jin spoke after him and he stopped. “You’d never considered my feelings before. What about me? How could you just come up to me…and accuse me of trying to hurt someone? Do…do you actually think that I’m still the same as I was before? I—I didn’t want this to happen at all. You should know how horrible I felt when Minah passed away.”

Luhan turned around slowly and stared at her pitifully. “Who are you Hee Jin? I don’t even know you anymore. The things you say and do, they’re just too hard to believe. If you really are sorry for everything, leave Ah Ri alone…”

Hee Jin shut her eyes tightly and reopened them as tears rolled down her cheeks. “Why can’t you see me?”

“Because every time I look at you, I see all the things you’d done to her and it kills me all over again… that I was such a fool, a en coward for not being a man enough to protect her like I should have. It’s not just you, it’s me too. I don’t deserve to live for hurting her the way I did, but I keep living anyways because I know that’s what she would want me to do, to keep living even if there’s no purpose to life. Just to be able to see her everyday knowing that she’s well and healthy even if I couldn’t love her the way I wanted to, was the only thing I’d ever wished to have and that was also taken away from me. That’s why I will never see you that way, Hee Jin.”

Luhan jaws clenched tightly. He had never spoken about you in so long and bringing you up again to the person who was the cause for his lost was beyond excruciating

“But for Ah Ri, I won’t let that same mistake happen again.” His eyes hardened. “Don’t touch her.”

Hee Jin glowered and her inside burned with both rage and jealousy. She was trying her upmost best to compromise with Luhan; to make him understand her a little, but it was too difficult. He still held a grudge against her and it only made her want her way a lot more. In truth, she would stop everything only if Luhan would love her…even if he had to pretend.

“I can’t promise you that.” She hissed.

Luhan felt his chest tighten. Hee Jin was challenging him and he didn’t like the sound of her voice. He began walking back to her when several students rushed passed the two of them as if something was happening. Curious, he grabbed a student and stopped him.

 “What’s going on?”

“That freak who cheated is begging the teacher right now!” He said quickly and hurried off.

“W-What…” Luhan’s head jerk up as he air through his gritted teeth. Goddamn it Ah Ri!

Without glancing back at Hee Jin, he immediately took off running towards the direction everyone else was going. It was impossible that you were apologizing right now because that only meant you’re admitting to cheating. He scolded himself silently for leaving your side. If only he hadn’t taken off so quickly, he would have been able to stop you.

When Luhan reached the teacher’s office crowded by many nosy students, he noticed Kai at once. He followed Kai’s gaze into the room and saw you kneeling on the floor in front of the teacher as if you had no shame all. His inside turned into mush seeing your pitiful state.

Luhan swallowed hard as he turned back to look at Kai who did nothing at all, but watch you fall to your knees. He waited for a second, perhaps hoping that the said boy would take you out of there.

But he never did.

Why the hell is he hesitating?

 Without another thought, Luhan walked quickly towards them and purposely bumped into Kai’s shoulder. He sauntered into the office and stormed over to you.  

“Get up, Ah Ri.” He looked down at you as you remained in the same position. He knew you didn’t want anyone to see you this way; your head bowed low so no one could witness your tears. It only made his heart ache even more.

“Get. Up.” Luhan’s voice grew deep and course. When you don’t respond, he instantly seized your wrist and pulled you back onto your feet.

“You idiot. What were you thinking?” Luhan’s eyes soften to the sight of your vulnerability that was showing so carelessly. He swiftly wiped your tears away with his thumb before taking your hand and leading you out of the room.

You halfheartedly followed and allowed Luhan to take you away from there. The loud drumming of your heart beat and the tears that overlapped your eyes protected you from seeing and hearing everything that was going on around you. As you were dragged passed the mocking crowd, you caught a glimpse of your human boy and you looked away at once. Right now, seeing him was the last thing you wanted.

“Ah Ri…” You heard Kai called your name.

Luhan’s grip on your hand was tight and secure. He had no thoughts of letting go of you, especially not to Kai. As he pulled you along, he sneaked a peek at you from the corner of his eyes and he had to stop himself from embracing you right then and there. Although tears weren’t rolling down your cheeks, the look of hurt written on your face was clearly visible. Your lips couldn’t be any less pouty than it was this very moment and Luhan wished he hadn’t seen it. He bit the inside of his cheeks in frustration for not being able to prevent you from such humiliation.

“Kim Ah Ri!”

A hard tug was felt and he lost hold of your hand instantly.

You were forcefully pulled away from Luhan when Kai caught up to you both. His hand was wrapped firmly around your wrist as he stopped you from going anywhere.

“I was calling you…” He tried looking into y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter