Mixed emotions

Guardian of an Obnoxious
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A/N: Be warned. Long Chapter ahead. :)

~~~

 

“Look! I told you he’s been up to no good!”

“Shh!”

“Get that nasty girl out of this house!”

“Quiet down! You’ll wake them up!”

“I don’t care! That leech has been staying here as if she lives here!”

“If he’s happy, that’s all that matters. Come on, let’s leave.”

“But HONEY!”

Loud whisperings echoed through the room and you tried to ignore it, hoping it was just one of those annoying dreams. Besides, you felt too comfortable to move or get up. The warmth that surrounded your body was the best feeling ever.

“I’ll talk to him when he wakes up.”

“No! Do it now. I can’t stand that girl staying here any longer!”

The ‘whisperings’ only get louder and you realized that maybe you weren’t dreaming after all. You slowly became aware of your surroundings and the warmth you were receiving was coming off from another body. You were wrapped up in heaps of clothing, blankets, a pair of strong arms and a succulent bare chest.

But that wasn’t what made you scream or better yet, frenetically punched Kai off of you. You screamed because two figures were standing at the door, looking at the two of you; one who was clearly pissed off and other, calm.

“Kai…KAI!!” You hissed furiously when he didn’t move an inch. Now, if you weren’t panicking due to the two people (you suddenly realized that one of them was Kai’s step mom) at the door, you would have not only gave Kai a black eye, but strangle him to his last breath.

“Kai, wake UP!!”  With a push, you exceedingly kicked him a bit too rough, and for the second (maybe third) time in the same situation, he toppled off the bed. Hey at least that worked.

Because the next thing you heard was Kai cursing fowl language as he rubbed his bottom. He was the last thing you were worried about at the moment when four very peculiar eyes blinked and watched the entire scene unwrap before them.

Oh god….please let this be just a dream.

“You unappreciative pig! Is this how you treat the person who kept you warm all ni—” Kai glared up at you, oblivious to the door, and the only thing you do was stare wide eyes back at him while you slightly point towards the unwanted direction.

Kai’s words slurred and he followed your finger. The only thing that made him jump in shock was that the two extremely rude (in his opinion) people didn’t knock before barging into his room. Rolling his eyes in annoyance, he stood up slowly to faced him.

“It would be nice if you could knock before walking into someone else’s room.” He snapped at them. You immediately scramble out of bed and stood beside him. Embarrassment was far from the shame you felt right now. Having people witness you two together as if you were a couple was the last thing you wanted.

“And it would be nice to say Hello to your dad for once.” Said the middle aged man with crinkled eyes and slightly grayish hair. He was wearing what appeared to be a rather expensive suit.

Dad?! Father?! Kai’s father!!

Your head was about to explode. This was far from what you had imagined when meeting Kai’s dad. You even had a well, thought out plan on how to introduce yourself (definitely not in Kai’s room nor in his damn bed). You were a nervous wreck and sure as hell didn’t give a living crap if it showed too.

So much for first impression.

“Hi.” Kai monotonously gave his dad what he wanted. It wasn’t like he actually cared, especially not with the ‘step mom’ around. In this case, she had her arms crossed obnoxiously across her chest and her snake eyes were on you only.

You bowed deeply in ignominy and as you did so, you saw Kai’s fist clenched so tightly that his knuckles became ghostly. Why is he getting so worked up? Already feeling the heated tension in this early morning, your first instinct was to calm him down. You clasped your hand around Kai’s fist and gently weaved your fingers through his.

Surprisingly, his grip loosens and he allowed your petite hand to form underneath his. He softly squeezed it and you assume it’s for assurance; to tell you that he’s alright.

Except Kai was silently telling you otherwise; that maybe without you there, he’d probably detonate and tear the house apart. Yes, that’s exactly what would actually happen with his father around. It was always a messy face to face interaction all the time and Kai hated it.

It also explained why his father was almost never home in the first place and because of this, he let his watch dog (the evil step mother) guard him; not that she could ever make him listen to her.

Don’t let go….

Kai pulled you protectively behind him as if they were going to take you from him. His hands were still intertwined with yours and his dark angry eyes never left his dad’s. You weren’t sure whether to break the silence or not.

“Care to introduce me to your—” Kai’s father averted his gaze to you.

“No.” He immediately answered and you lightly poked his back for being so rude. Instead of saying nothing, you took a step forward with a ninety degree bow and decided to introduce yourself.

“Hello. My name…” You looked up at Kai for a brief second. “..is Ah Ri, Kim Ah Ri. I’m Kai’s guar—”

“Girlfriend.”

Damn you human boy. You turned beat red; too embarrassed to face his father. To be exact, you were about to expose yourself to them if he hadn’t interrupted. The coldness that seeped out from the three was bitterer than the weather. You already knew they didn’t get along, or maybe Kai’s just being the bratty stubborn person he always is.

“G-Girlfriend?” His father looked surprised, but not at all angry. You see an almost pleased look on his face. “I’m glad…you finally found someone.” He said quietly.

Just let me die…

You couldn’t believe he actually bought it and was even encouraging.

“Kai, sweetie…” The step mother cooed. “Your dad and I are here to help you. We can make this girl leave.” She stared at you disgustingly.

“Get out. Both of you.” Kai’s voice was filled with so much aggravation.

“But—” She began.

“LEAVE!” Kai roared heatedly and you weren’t sure if you could feel your hand anymore by the way he held on so tightly.

“Ok ok.” His dad even offered a smile. “Sorry about...er…disturbing you two. Let’s talk later.”  He grabbed his young wife’s arm and pulled her away. “Oh, and put a on a shirt, Jong In.” He added before shutting the door behind them on the way out.

Jong In. He called him Jong In. You couldn’t help but smile.

The first thing that came to your mind was…His dad isn’t a scary person at all.

Kai let go of your poor hand and raked his fingers through his messy hair. “Get ready for school.”

 

  ~~~~

 

Besides the fact that you still weren’t feeling all that well, you went to school without your blazer and a missing sock; resulting in freezing your off the whole way there. Of course this was all Kai’s fault, for if he hadn’t continuously nagged you to hurry up and basically dragged you out of the house before you even had the chance to put on your sneakers, you would have properly dress.

You sluggishly tailed behind Kai who was walking towards the school gate with long elegant strides, something too perfect to be even real. If you could recall, you don’t ever remember going to school at 7:25 in the morning. Kai had rushed you for his own damn purpose. Selfish prick.

“Why are you so slow?” He finally realized that you had fallen way behind. You ignored him completely, coughing and sniffling softly as you rubbed your hands together. Breath vapor from the cold weather escaped your quivering lips.

“Just go on about your business.” You waved a hand carelessly at him when you reached the steps to the school’s entrance door. “This is where we pretend neither of us exists.” You walked inside the building and Kai casually followed you.

“You actually don’t exist.” He smirked with glistening eyes. His smart mouth was beginning to get on your last nerve.

“And running away from your dad CLEARLY shows what your existent is worth.” You scoffed and held your head up high. Kai’s smirk immediately deflated and was replaced with a frown.

“I wasn’t running away from him.” He snarled. “Keep your pig nose out of my business.”

“I’ve said it before and I’m going to say it again and AGAIN! You are MY business, KIM JONG IN!” You hadn’t meant to yell, but the word ‘pig’ was what pushed you off the edge. Besides, you almost always knew how to piss him off too. So, it was win-win situation as you watched flame blow out of his nostrils at the name Jong In.

“I’m really going to k—”

“KAI!”

A soft, yet sugar coated voice cut him off and you both turn towards the direction of it. Seeing that it was none other than Hee Jin, you made a face; although couldn’t help to admit that she had saved you from whatever Kai was about to do to you.

You realized that Kai’s face was flushed pink as the princess made her way to the two of you. He bit his bottom lip while a smile (a very sweet one to be exact) formed so flawlessly. It irked you in such a disgusting way how the brat in him suddenly disappeared, replaced by a front that you weren’t sure was real or not.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter