It has Always been You

It has Always been You


Gui Gui was walking to school the next morning because Aaron didn't come to pick her up.

“He must have slept in again,” she mumbles as she looks down on the ground.

Ring! Ring!

She smiles and picks up her phone.

“Hello?” she answers hoping it would be Aaron.

“Gui Gui,” she heard a guy said on the other line. “It's me.”

“Pa Pa! How are you?” Gui Gui said happy. “Wait a minute, how did you get my number?”

She heard her father laugh on the other line. “I met Ariel a few days ago at a international doctor meeting and she gave it to me.”

“That little teller” Gui Gui said quietly.

“Don't blame her, who told you not to call your old man. And when did you get back?”

“Well...uh....” before she could answer her dad interrupted her.

“Xiao Gui...Today's your mother's anniversary, I hope that you can come with me.”

“...definitely,” Gui Gui said remembering. She was going to go visit her mother after school, but going with her father would make her mother very happy.

Gui Gui waited a block away from the school. A few minutes later a black car came by her and she got in.

“Why did she go in that car?” Aaron said to himself suspicious. He had been following Gui Gui all morning. Although he might be mad at her, he just had to make sure that she was safe going to school. So ever since morning he had been slowly following Gui Gui in his car.

After a few seconds Aaron decided to follow the car.

He pulls over by a curb as the car stops at a small breakfast shop. Gui Gui got out with an old guy and has her arm around his.

“Oh, cheating on me now aren't you” he said looking at them coldly. He puts on a cap and follows them into the shop. “Why didn't you pick a better guy to cheat on with?” he said as he quickly got in and sat on the other side of the room. He lifts up a newspaper and pretends like he's reading it but was actually looking at Gui Gui and the old guy who sat across from her.

“He looks rich. But I got that too” Aaron said thinking of why Gui Gui would go out with this old man.

~

“Pa Pa, how have you been?” Gui Gui ask.

“Busy like always dear. And you? You didn't even call me, am I not important to you?” her father jokes.

“NO, it's not that. It's just, I really forgot. I mean you're always busy with the hospital, and all, and so not bothering you is better. Even if I did call you, you probably would be too busy to talk with me anyways.”

Her father laughs, “Yes, working and running a hospital is a very busy thing. So tell me, when will you come and join me? I'm getting old my dear.”

Gui Gui's smile's disappeared, “Pa, you know I don't like your job. Although being a doctor is a very good job, and what you want me to do, it's not what I want to do. I know you are very busy, and you love your job, but do you think that making me do something that I don't want to do will make me happy like you?”

Her father sigh.

“I know I'm being selfish, but dad, I know what I'm doing, and I promise that I'll come and help out at times, now that you know my number, just give me a ring” she smiles.

Her father touched her hands and smiles.

“My little girl had finally grown up.”

Seeing this made Aaron boiled up wanting to rush over and tear them apart, but he kept himself in his seat. He took out his phone and took a picture of them.

“Pa, I love you” she smiles. “Let's go visit mom, I miss her dearly” she said and got up.

Her father got up and she puts her arm around his and they walk out. Aaron quickly got up and follow them.

Gui Gui and her father stopped at a flower store and bought some lilies, they were her mother's favorites. From that shop they walk side by side to the commentary where her mother was buried.

Aaron who's in his cap still follows them from a distance.

They finally stop in front of a beautiful gave. Gui Gui kneels down beside the gave and sat down the flowers.

Her father and her stayed there for an hour and left. Aaron who was still following them was falling asleep as he leans against a tree. But his eyes flew open as she saw Gui Gui left with the old man. He then quickly went over to the gave that they stop at and looks at it.

“Lin Kwan Wu 18**-19**” Aaron read off the plate.

-

“Pa, see you later” Gui Gui said as they stood outside of her house.

“Yes, remember to come home often” her father said as they hug.

“Yes sir, I will,” she smiles and hugs him tighter. “Pa Pa, I really miss you” she said still hugging him.

That was it, Aaron got out of the car and walks over them. He pushes Mr. Wu aside and was about to hit him but Gui Gui quickly went in front of her father.

“Don't!” Gui Gui said loudly closing her eyes. She slowly opens them and saw Aaron's fist in front of her face.

Aaron looks at her angrily as he lowers his fist.

Without saying anything he turns and began to walk away.

“Aaron!” Gui Gui calls after him. “Aaron!” he calls again.

But he didn't turn back.

“Aaron!” Gui Gui said as she ran in front of Aaron breathless. “Listen to me” Gui Gui said as she looks at Aaron who has anger written all over his face.

Gui Gui looks away and began to laugh.

He looks at her angrier.

“If you really like him, then...”

Gui Gui laughs harder, and then tries to control her laughter.

“I really like him, in fact, I love him, but you know, you've misunderstood everything.”

“I guess I don't know you well enough ” he said coldly. “Maybe we should stop everything here.”

Gui Gui's smile slowly disappeared.

“But you really have misunderstood” Gui Gui said again.

“Then explain to me why you were hugging an older man?! Did you need money?! Why didn't you ask me?!” he yells at her.

“I...He's-”

“Young man, may I please know your name?” Mr. Wu said as he approaches them.

Aaron didn't say anything.

“Young man, the lady is right, you misunderstood what you saw” Mr. Wu said.

“Aaron, you must believe me” Gui Gui said as she gently grabs onto Aaron's hand.

“How could I have misunderstood?! I've been watching you two interact all day!” he said and quickly shuts his mouths making Mr. Wu laugh loudly.

“You've been following me all day?” Gui Gui said surprised.

“I...Well...” Aaron looks away from her not knowing what to say.

“Aaron Yan! Can't I have my own privacy with my FATHER?” Gui Gui said mad at him now for stalking her.

“No! You-...did you just say father?” Aaron said and looks at Gui Gui.

“Yes, father, he's my father” Gui Gui repeated herself.

Aaron looks at Mr. Wu embarrassed.

“Uh...sir, I’m very sorry” Aaron said as he bow towards Mr. Wu with a red face.

“It's okay son,” Mr. Wu laughs. “I'm glad my daughter found someone who really cares about her.”

Aaron looks up at him, “You're not mad?” he ask Mr. Wu.

“Let's go for a small ride” he said instead and walks towards his car.

Gui Gui looks at Aaron and told him to follow.

Gui Gui watches as the car disappears around the corner.