I'll Protect You

The Bubble Tea Store

 

-- Back to Hyemi's POV.

 

It was Friday night and Exo, Myungsoo, Haneul, and I were having a great time in a club. I watched as the boys got their crayon on the dance floor, attracting some attention from the ladies around them. However, they were unaware of the stares they were receiving as they were too busy laughing and having fun. 

"Hyemi, why are you just sitting around? Come dance!" Haneul tugged on my arm to follow her to the dancing crowd. I stayed rooted in my chair. 

"No. Maybe later. I'm just taking a break," I told her, lifting the soju bottle I was holding. She nodded and ordered one for herself. Sitting next to me, we just observed everyone in the club. 

"So, have you found anyone here to hook up with?" Haneul asked.

"I didn't come here to do that," I rolled my eyes.

Although there were hot guys surrounding us at this moment I didn't feel any sort of attraction towards them. I would catch some staring, but I would just smile and turn my attention somewhere else.

"What about you? Have you found anyone?" I asked, in which her eyes immediately landed on Myungsoo. 

"Yes, and I'm determined to get him to be mine tonight," she replied with confidence. 

"You better make your move before that girl beats you to it," I nodded at the girl who approached Myungsoo and pressed their bodies close together. Haneul gasped. 

It seemed like he was slightly uncomfortable by the sudden contact and kindly pushed the girl away, removing her hands. Just then, Exo came jumping out of nowhere and unintentionally broke the pair apart, earning a sigh of relief from Haneul.

"That was close," I spoke.

It wasn't long before the anger in her eyes melted as soon as Myungsoo looked directly at her and showed a smile. She slightly lifted her shoulders and gave him a shy smile in return. 

"Stop blushing," I laughed at her red face.

I can't believe something as simple as a smile could break down her tough exterior and suddenly make her feel so giddy. I know that butterflies started going crazy inside her when their eyes connected. The way he slightly turned his head to hide his grin meant that he was as happy as she was.

Feeling Myungsoo's eyes still on her, Haneul turned her back to him and took a deep breath. 

"He's coming over. He's coming over!" I alerted her. 

"What?! What do I do?!" she panicked. I tried to bite back a laugh. 

"I'm joking. He's nowhere near us." 

"Stop doing that! I can't believe I keep falling for it," she shook her head and drank her soju.

Just then, a tap was felt on her shoulder. 

"Haneul, come dance with me," Myungsoo said. Hearing his voice, I noticed that she turned stiff.

"Hey, Myungsoo. I thought I saw you approaching us," I waved. I could sense Haneul glaring at me. 

"You don't mind if I steal Haneul for a while, do you?" he asked for my permission. I glanced at her and sure enough her piercing eyes were on me.

"Not at all. Enjoy!" I pushed her into him. He held her hand and directed her to the centre of the floor. 

"Hey, Hyemi!" Luhan came up to me with Sehun next to him. 

"Hey," I said with a smile.

"What happened to you out there? I turned around and you were gone," Sehun mentioned.

"It was getting too crowded so I just decided to sit down and watch. Stay with me," I told the boys.

"Okay. If you insist," Sehun gladly took a seat next to me. Luhan shook his head. 

"No, I'm good. I think I'm gonna go back to the others now," he turned his back to us and returned to them.

"Luhan, wait! You said we were going to keep her company together! Luhan!" Sehun shouted, startled when he saw him walking away. 

"I'm not needed there. She already has you!" Luhan answered.

"I can't believe he tricked me. It was his idea to come over here in the first place," Sehun sighed.

"Go if you don't want to stay," I insisted.

"Okay. Thanks!" he stood up with a grin.

What.

He then extended his hand to me, "Not without you, of course."

I paused at his sudden gesture, just staring at his hand.

"I really thought you were going to leave me alone," I said. 

"Would I really do that? Well, yes, but not in this situation."

This jerk!

"Why are you glaring at me? Gosh, you take things too seriously," Sehun laughed, his hand still offering to be held. Rolling my eyes, I reluctantly accepted it. He led me to where Exo was dancing.

"Hyemi, you finally came! Good job, Sehun. I don't know how you did it," Tao joked and patted his shoulder.

Everyone carried on with dancing after acknowledging my presence again.

"Hey, do you see that girl over there?" Sehun leaned in so that I could hear him over the loud music. I followed where his eyes were looking at. I noticed a girl near us checking him out.

"Yeah. What about her?" I asked.

"I was dancing with her before. Stay near me so she won't come over anymore."

"Why? Is she a bad dancer?" I chuckled. 

"No, I'm just not interested." 

"Then just reject her nicely."

"I already tried before, but she's too persistent. Oh, no! She's coming over! Stop looking!" Sehun turned his back to her and quickly moved me in front of him.

"No, she's not! She's walking in the opposite direction!" I pushed him lightly.

"I just need you to stand near me so she can see that I already have a partner!"

"Ask someone else then!"

"Guys, stop pushing and pulling each other! You look weird doing that. It's embarrassing!" Chen stated.

I suddenly felt a pair of arms snake around my waist. I thought it belonged to Sehun, but his was still by his side. I turned my head to find a stranger hugging me from behind. It was the guy who had the courage to come up to me earlier to offer me a drink, but I rejected.

"Um, h-hi again," I smiled uncomfortably, trying to release myself from his grip.

"I didn't catch you're name earlier. What is it? Angel?" I could tell he was smirking. I felt disgusted by the inappropriate behaviour he was displaying.

"I don't want to know yours so why do you have to know mine? Let go," I was still trying to untangle his arms around me, growing impatient.

"Nice. I like the attitude," his lips brushed along my neck. My eyes widened in surprise.

"H-Hey! Stop!" I elbowed him.

"Come on. Just one dance! Maybe something more later," he spun me around to face him.

"She said to stop!" Sehun growled, suddenly grabbing the guy by his collar before shoving him hard.

Sehun then secured his hand around my wrist and began leading me out of the crowd. We ended up exiting the club.

"Are you okay?" Sehun asked with furrowed eyebrows.

"I'm fine. I was just surprised. That's never happened to me before," I was still shaken up.

"The nerve of that guy. No one treats you like that when I'm around."

I was about to open my mouth to answer until my phone rang in my purse.

"Hello?" I answered the call.

Baekhyun's worried voice spoke immediately, "I just saw what happened! Are you alright? Hold on, I'll come and find you."

"Baekhyun, don't worry. Sehun's here with me outside. I'm okay," I assured him. I then heard Chanyeol say to give him the phone.

"Hello?! Hyemi! Are you there?! Speak to me! HYEMI!" Chanyeol's voice boomed through the small phone speaker.

"Chanyeol, I'm here."

"We tried searching for the guy, but he ran off somewhere. You're okay, right?" Chanyeol asked me.

"I'm fine. No need to worry. I don't think I'll be going back inside though."

"Alright. We understand. Here's Baekhyun again. There, take it back!"

"Hyemi, walk," Sehun suddenly said in a low tone as he began walking backwards, gesturing me to follow him.

"Where are you going?" I mouthed to him, but was only indicated with his hand to move towards him.

"Hyemi, are you there? Hello?" Baekhyun's voice returned.  

"Oh, yeah, I'm still here," I quickly answered.

"We'll see you back at the hotel. Just stick with Sehun," he ordered.

"Okay, I'll see you later."

"You better take care, okay?!" 

I nodded and hung up. I noticed that Sehun was already far ahead.

"Sehun!" I called him before trying to catch up. "Where are you going?"

"I don't know. Where do you want to go?" he returned the question. 

"I thought we were going back home. It's getting late," I replied.

"Well, I'm hungry. Do you want to eat out first? Let's try to make you forget about what just happened in there and just enjoy the rest of the night." 

His presence made me regain my confidence. I was really glad he dragged me out of the club.

We ended up choosing a small restaurant near by and ordered a simple meal for ourselves.

"So what did you do today?" Sehun casually started a conversation.

"I was out all day with my parents," I responded.

"Doing what?"

"We went sight-seeing and then relaxed at the beach."

"Oh, that's right. I actually spotted you up on the mountain. We were there too. You looked so scared," he chuckled.

"No, I wasn't! Why would I be? The place was surrounded by high fences."

"Well, that was what I saw. Actually, Luhan was more terrified. He was clinging onto everyone. He made us all hold hands because since he thought he was in danger, everyone else was too."

"I heard Chen pulled a prank on him," I stated.

"Yeah. He pushed Luhan and then grabbed his shirt to pull him back. I don't know why Luhan freaked out though. He was nowhere near a cliff and stood in the safety zone area. Poor guy burst into tears."

Although it was a horrible experience for Luhan, I could imagine the others laughing and enjoying the whole thing. In fact, Sehun was trying to hold in his laughter while telling the story.

"You guys are so mean," I pouted as the image of Luhan's frightened expression flashed on my mind.

"Be right back. I'm going to get us drinks," Sehun left the table momentarily and then returned with two cans of drink.

"Have you tried this before?" he placed it next to my bowl that I had finished already.

"No. Is it good?" I read the label. 

"I'm not sure. I've never tried it either," he opened his and drank from it. I only took a sip from mine, evaluating the taste.

Liking the flavor, I drank the whole can in one go.

"This tastes strange. I don't think it's soda," Sehun's nose cringed as he examined it carefully. 

"I really like it. I'm going to get us more," I said and bought us three each.

It wasn't long before the club incident left my mind completely. Sehun and I exchanged funny stories and shared some secrets as time flew by. I noticed our laughter rose higher each time we drank. I somehow began feeling light-headed by the time I started drinking the third one...

 

[Sehun's POV]

I have come to a conclusion that this is not an ordinary drink. Hyemi is giggling too much and is slightly swaying from side to side. I was starting to feel the effects of it too.

"Hyemi, are you alright?" I asked in concern.

"My head is spinning a bit," she rested her head on the palm of her hand.

"I think the cans were alcohol. We drank it without realizing. Don't drink anymore," I grabbed the can she was holding and slid it as far away from her as possible.

"It's your fault. Why did you have to buy it? Now I'm flying," she chuckled.

"Come on. Let's go back to the hotel. It's already," I looked at the wall clock and my eyes widened when I realized what time it was, "1 AM?!" 

That can't be right. We left the club at 9:30 PM, arrived at the restaurant at 10 PM, and drank for three hours? What?!

"Hyemi, come on," I said, opening the door for her.

"Did we walk far before? I'm sure our hotel is this way," she directed us to the left, walking so close next to me that a gap between us didn't even exist.

Even though I drank the same amount as her, I still hadn't reach my drinking limit. I was still sane and quite aware of what was happening. Hyemi, on the other hand, was not herself. She was already intoxicated in the club before we drank at the restaurant so she must be really drunk right now.

Thinking about the club reminded me again of what happened in there before. Anger quickly filled me and my fist clenched when the image of the guy advancing in on Hyemi replayed on my mind. I tried my best not to punch him right at that moment. He knew Hyemi was uncomfortable, but he stilled continued to do his dirty deed.

"Whoa, are we by a lake? How did we get here?" Hyemi disturbed my train of thoughts, blinking rapidly as she scanned our surroundings. I took in the view of the lake in front of us.

"We took a wrong turn and ended up here, I guess." 

I had no clue how we got here. We haven't explored this side of the island yet. The moon was the only source of light and its reflection bounced off the waters. Sitting down, I watched as Hyemi removed her shoes and dipped her bare foot in the water. I smiled to myself when her laugh took over every sound I could possibly hear.

"Have you ever slept under the stars before?" she looked up at the night sky.

"Yeah, at Luhan's backyard. You were there with us, remember?"   

"Oh, that's right. I don't remember it being this many though," she sat beside me, still eyeing the stars.

"That's because we're looking at so many helicopters right now."

She scoffed. 

"Sehun, I know I'm drunk, but I can still tell the difference between a star and a helicopter. I'm sure they're all stars," she replied confidently.

"What about that red one flying so fast?" I pointed at the moving object.

"That's a bird!" she slapped my hand down. I tried to hold in a laugh. 

"Okay. I was just making sure your eyes were still working properly," I rested on the grass and closed my eyes.

I felt her lie down too as our arms brushed against each other.

 

[Hyemi's POV]

"I don't think I'll be able to go back to the hotel," I began in a sleepy voice. I had no energy to move my body anymore and my whole world was spinning. 

"That's alright. We'll just stay here tonight then," Sehun said. My eyes grew heavier by the second.

"Here at the lake? Will we be okay? I don't want to disturb the ducks."

Sehun chuckled lightly.

"Don't worry. We'll be fine. Nothing bad's going to happen to you while I'm around," he answered.

I felt my head being lifted up and something soft slide underneath it. Sehun had offered his arm as my pillow.

"Hyemi, are you comfortable?" he whispered, careful not to disturb the calm atmosphere.

I hummed in response. My mind was losing track of what was going on.

"Thanks for helping me in the club. That guy was so mean," I pouted. We began speaking in a softer tone.

"I'm sorry. I should've done something sooner to stop him," Sehun caressed my cheek with the back of his fingers.

"No, it wasn't your fault," I shook my head.

"I promise I won't let anything else happen to you. Will you let me protect you?" he pulled me closer to him. His breath tickled my neck, "Your answer doesn't even matter. I'll still protect you no matter what."

"Really?"

"Yes. Trust me."

We then stayed silent. I thought he fell asleep when he didn't continue talking. I was wrong when he stirred next to me and started playing with my hair.

"Did you know I've been trying my best not to be around you so much? It's so hard," Sehun whimpered.

"Why are you doing that?" I questioned.

"Because I have an important mission in mind."

"Does it involve a girl? It does, doesn't it? Aw, you're in L-O-V-E," I started talking nonsense.

He chuckled, "You have no idea. Should I go after the girl?"

"Yes. Don't give up. Steal her heart and make her yours," I encouraged. Sehun let out another chuckle before kissing my cheek.

"You're so cute," he then kissed my nose playfully, absentmindedly making me smile.

"Hey, that's too much," I shut my eyes tightly.

"It's your fault. Stop being so perfect," he kissed my jaw.

"Sehun, I'm about to fall asleep," I yawned and turned my head to him.

"Go ahead. Fall asleep in my arms."

"Goodnight." 

That was the last word I told him. Before I drifted off to a deep slumber, I felt Sehun's warm breath on my lips.

"Sweet dreams, Hyemi," he whispered before kissing me softly on the lips.