Jumping Off

The Bubble Tea Store

 

I watched on the boat with a camera around my neck as the boys competed in their own kayak race in pairs. Chen, Xiumin, Lay and Suho decided to stay by the pier to go fishing. 

"Paddle, Chanyeol! Paddle!" D.O repeatedly shouted as he struggled to move their kayak with an oar. 

"I'm trying!" Chanyeol yelled back. D.O glanced over his shoulder and scowled.

"No, you're not! You're not even holding an oar!"

I could hear Baekhyun and Kai laugh in the distance. They were soaring the ocean with ease, coming in first place.

"Losers! Your teamwork stinks!" they shouted. 

"Sehun, hurry! We're nearing them!" Luhan yelled as he steered in front. 

"I know. I can see," Sehun responded. 

"SEHUN, COME ON!"

"Shut up! We're almost there!" Sehun yelled in frustration. They were in second place.

"But Kris and Tao are catching up!" Luhan began paddling twice as fast, but Sehun was slowing them down as he paddled in his own pace.

Kai and Baekhyun have already made a U-turn around my boat and was returning to the starting point, which was the pier. 

"Kris, we need to slow down when we make a U-turn!" Tao said as they approached the boat, successfully passing Luhan and Sehun.

"Don't tell me what to do! I'm the driver here," Kris said in an authoritative voice.

"You have no sense of direction. Don't ever go sailing on your own, okay?"

"I don't know what you're talking about!" 

"The sea is screaming out for you to never be a sailor," Tao said. 

I burst into laughter because of their silly argument. I continued taking pictures, not missing any funny and precious moments of them. I could see Luhan's tongue stick out as he continued concentrating. Sehun was just scowling. 

"Fighting!" I cheered for the pair. 

Luhan grinned, however Sehun didn't react. It looked like he was desperate to jump on the boat with me. 

"Sehun, smile!" I aimed the camera at him, zooming in on his features. He looked in my direction and gave a small smile. 

"Sehun, don't get distracted!" Luhan shouted as they made a U-turn. His eagerness made Sehun scowl again. 

I noticed that D.O and Chanyeol weren't making progress at all. 

"Okay, ready? Left! Right! Left! Right!" D.O carefully instructed. 

Chanyeol tried his best but resulted in clumsily hitting D.O's oar with his own and eventually self-injury.

D.O facepalmed, "Who even paired me up with you?!"

The race eventually ended when they all reached the pier. Kai and Baekhyun won first place, Kris and Tao came second, Luhan and Sehun came third, and D.O and Chanyeol came last.

"How's fishing going?" I asked Lay and the others already at the pier. Exo have now gone shirtless. 

"I caught a couple," Lay replied proudly. I scanned Chen and Xiumin's faces and realized they were frowning. 

"I only caught one," Xiumin sighed. 

Chen laughed, "All the fish hate you."

"You haven't even caught one!" Xiumin protested.

"I did! Twice. I was reeling my line, but you pushed me into the water both times so they got away."

"Well, I'm having so much fun," Suho grinned. 

We then climbed up to the upper pier. 

"Okay, who's ready to jump off from here?" Baekhyun excitedly asked with a clap. We all turned extremely quiet.

"Why don't you jump off first?" Chanyeol suggested to Baekhyun. 

"I don't want to be the first one," Baekhyun shook his hands. "Hyemi, are you going to jump off or not?" 

"M-me?" I stuttered, eyeing the ocean. "Maybe later."

"Don't be scared? It's not that high," he leaned in to see below us. It was similar to jumping off from an average double-storey house.

​​​​​Tao suddenly made his way at the edge of the pier. 

"Move aside, scaredycats. Watch and learn from the pro," he said confidently. 

Without fear, Tao did a sloppy summersault in the air before diving into the water. He then pushed his wet self up at the edge of the bottom pier and dangled his feet in the water, waiting for the next person to follow.

"See? That wasn't scary," Baekhyun said to me.

"Psh, I can totally beat that," Chanyeol coolly brushed invisible dust off of his shoulder. 

He stood at the very edge and prepared, extending his arms out like a bird. Taking a deep breath, he jumped very high and ended up doing a belly flop. Unintentional or not, it still didn't stop the others from laughing hysterically. 

"Amazing, Chanyeol!" we applauded him. 

"Hyemi, it's your turn," Baekhyun gestured me to come forward. 

"Oh, um," I started to panic again. 

"Do you need a little push? I'll push you!" Baekhyun placed both of his hands on my back. I immediately slapped them away. 

"No pushing!" I shouted. 

"You won't even notice. Allow me to demonstrate," he sneakily walked behind Kai who seemed oblivious to what was going on, and literally threw him into the sea with a forceful push. 

Kai was too surprised by the sudden action that he could only flail his arms before making a big splash. He swam to the surface and wiped his eyes.

"What the hell was that?!" Kai yelled in fury. 

"Wasn't that helpful?" Baekhyun said to me. "Okay, let me push you now."

I abruptly stepped away from him, "Are you crazy?!" 

"I think I know what you mean, Baekhyun," Xiumin his chin and nodded in understanding.

"Show me then," Baekhyun challenged.

"Okay," Xiumin grinned.

Without hesitating, Xiumin pushed Baekhyun's shoulders, causing him to lose his balance and fall into the sea. Baekhyun rose from the water with pure shock on his face.

"Xiumin, I didn't think you were serious!" Baekhyun exclaimed.

"Let me try too! Weee!" Chen randomly pushed Xiumin off the edge.

Xiumin screamed in the air before landing in the water. He was immediately attacked by Baekhyun.

"Thank karma!" Chen laughed.

"Guys, move! I'm going to jump off too!" Luhan excitedly said. I immediately avoided him like a plague. 

Before he could actually let anyone make way for him, he began charging. The boys blocking his way, Kris, Sehun and Lay, showed terror in their eyes when they saw him with his arms wide open, running in their direction. Kris extended his arms to stop him before it was too late.

"No, don't, Luhan! You're not going to take us down with you!" Kris screamed.

"Luhan, just wait, okay?!" Lay panicked. Sehun, on the other hand, was just sending death glares to Luhan again. 

Their cries were useless when Luhan wrapped them in his arms and dragged them to the edge with him.

"ARRGGHHH!" Luhan freaked out at the last minute when he pushed all of them with him. A very large splash was created when they hit the water.

D.O suddenly tapped my shoulder, "Should I jump off first or do I go after you?"

"I-I don't think I can do this," I shuffled my feet nervously and looked down at the boys having fun.

"She's not going to do it," I heard Sehun say from below, earning a light pinch from Baekhyun.

"Let's jump together!" D.O grinned, holding out his hand for me to take

"No, it's okay. I'll just stay up here," I shook my head.

"I told you she won't do it," Sehun said. 

I then felt my hand being held by someone else. I looked to my right and noticed Suho with a grin too. 

"I'll join you!" he said.

"N-no, no. I really can't," I whined. 

"Alright, I think it's time I get up there to help," Baekhyun pushed himself up at the bottom pier and started climbing over to us. 

I took D.O's hand with my free hand and stood at the very edge as I eyed Baekhyun coming closer. Realizing that I knew what his intention was, he hurried his way over. 

"No pushing!" I exclaimed.

I felt my heart race in adrenaline. The boys below us began preparing us to jump. 

"Ready?! Set?! JUMP!"

"No, no, no! I can't! I can't!" I backed out at the last moment which D.O and Suho didn't seem to notice.

I tried to pry my hands off from them but their grip was too tight that I had no choice but to get dragged along.

"AARRGGHH!" they screamed in excitement while I just froze in the air. I held my breath and continued to wait for a heart attack. 

The cold water instantly hit my skin and then I was engulfed by the sea. I opened my eyes underwater, still trying to process what happened and what I just did. I heard faint cheers around me. I swam up to the surface and was greeted by their grins. 

"Great job!" Luhan praised me. 

"There's something tickling my foot," Chanyeol irritably kicked his legs to get rid of what it was. "Baekhyun, stop it!"

Baekhyun scoffed, "I'm up here, you idiot."

"W-w-what?" Chanyeol was suddenly horrified, his eyes widening in fear. "T-t-that means...i-if you're...t-then down here..."

"Maybe it's just seaweed," Xiumin guessed. 

"SHARK!" Chanyeol shrieked. He ran to shore with his hands swinging wildly in the air.

Seconds later, Kris' head appeared out of the water. He swam over to Tao and gave each other a hi-five. 

"Look how fast he got out," Kris laughed. 

I stood up and boldly made my way up to the upper pier again. They glanced at each other, puzzled. 

"Who wants to have another round of jumping off?!" I yelled. 

There was no way I'm leaving this beach without creating the most biggest bomb splash ever.