Unexpected Surprise

The Bubble Tea Store

 

[Sehun's POV]

I've been staring at my phone for a while now, struggling to come up with a decision. Should I give Hyemi a call? If I were to do that right now then I would fail at my own test to see how long I can go avoiding any contact with her.

This is torture. I hate not having to her around.

Fortunately, I saw her this morning at school before we left. During our farewell hug I was so tempted to just carry her all the way to the airport with me.

Just then, my eyes shot up at the person who suddenly jumped on my bed. 

"What are you doing?" Kai asked.

I was too engrossed in my own thoughts that I didn't even realise he had entered my hotel room that I shared with Luhan. 

"Nothing," I shrugged. 

"Really? Well, I've been watching you for ten minutes now. I'm sure that phone will melt if you keep staring at it like that," he chuckled and snatched it from my hand. "What are you watching?"

"I wasn't watching anything."

"I hope it's not a naughty video," he simply said. I stared at him in disgust. 

"What's wrong with you?!" I pushed him off the bed. 

"Don't blame me. I've just never seen anyone stare so hard at a screen like that before," he tossed my phone back to me.

I rolled my eyes, "What are you even doing here? Get out."

"They told me to tell you that we're all going to the beach," he began walking to the door. 

"But we just got back from there."

"That was three hours ago. Actually, since it's six o'clock, we might have dinner first. Let's go before they ditch us."

I nodded and glanced at my phone again, not forgetting about Hyemi.

Kai cleared his throat loudly, "Seriously, Sehun, just turn off whatever you're watching..."

"Shut up, I'm not watching anything!" I threw a pillow at him. He ducked on time causing the pillow to hit the door. 

"I'm kidding!" he shouted.

"I was just thinking, okay?"

"About what? Hyemi?"

"Yeah," I confessed.

"You miss her already? But it's only been a couple of hours," he pointed out.

"You know I can't go a day without her. Plus, I'm not the only one missing her," I stated.

"Yeah, I know. I wanted to throw Baekhyun out the window earlier on the plane when he wouldn't stop complaining about how I snore louder than Hyemi. I don't even snore." 

At that moment, the door behind him suddenly burst open, smacking him straight on the floor. D.O blinked innocently.

"Why aren't you both downstairs yet?" D.O asked.

"Ow," Kai groaned in pain as he sat up. He then glared at D.O. "Have you ever heard of knocking?!"

"I have. And you should try it sometime," D.O responded with narrow eyes. He extended his arm and pulled him up to his feet.

"I do knock! You just don't hear it..."

"Anyway, I'm hungry. Should we all eat now?" D.O said.

With that, I decided to give up on Hyemi for tonight, placing my phone in my pocket and leaving the room with them. 

 

♦ ♦ ♦

 

I watched by the stoned wall as my childish friends splashed in the water at the beach. They insisted on going there again before dinner because the sun was almost setting. I got stuck with Exo-M while the rest of Exo-K went off to buy ice-cream. 

"Stop it, Tao! I said enough already!" Xiumin cried as salt water got into his eyes. 

"You started it though!" Tao pointed at him accusingly.

I heard Luhan and Lay laugh with Kris. They were sitting close to the waves, keeping a safe distance to avoid getting wet. Chen was also with them but his eyes were fixed on the seashells scattered around.

I'd join them too but I still wasn't over about what happened earlier.

We were playing volleyball and Chanyeol accidentally hit the ball too hard causing it to fly into the sea. Since I was closer to the water, they insisted I bring it back. I refused at first. However, during the second time, it wasn't up to me to decide because they had already lifted me up from dry land and catapulted me into the ocean. 

I mean, why me? Baekhyun, Suho and D.O are all shorter and lighter than me. Did I look like some kind of whale that needed to be thrown back in the water?

After retrieving the ball, I immediately targeted them all; shooting at them like dodgeball was my life. I gave them silent treatment after that. 

"Sehun, come here! You're such a loner over there," Luhan glanced over his shoulder and told me.

Annoyed, I turned my head, "No, I hate all of you."

"We're sorry, okay?"

I threw dagger eyes at them, Luhan in particular.

"I can't forgive you! You were the one who kept screaming 'THROW HIM! THROW HIM!' the loudest!" I growled at Luhan. 

"I know. It was so funny," he laughed.

I scoffed.

Bored, I took out Baekhyun's phone and played games. My eyes widened and a grin instantly plastered on my face when I saw Hyemi's name flash across the screen. She was calling. 

"Oh my god, no way, no way, no way," I felt giddy all of a sudden.

Keeping cool, I answered the call. "Hello?"

"Oh, um, you're not Baekhyun," Hyemi began unsurely. 

Hearing her voice, I bit my bottom lip to stop myself from smiling too much.

"Well done, pretty."

There was a short pause. 

"Sehun," she said bluntly. 

"Aw, you recognize my voice," I smirked.

"What are you doing picking up other people's calls?" she asked.

"Baekhyun told me to hold his phone for him. And you made me lose in Angry Birds. Thanks for that," I sarcastically said.

"You're welcome. Now please let me talk to Baekhyun," she ordered.

"He left to buy snacks with the others. They'll be back soon though," I answered.

"Oh, okay. Then I'm hanging up. Bye."

"What, Hyemi, no! I miss you!" I shouted.

"I know you do."

"Why did you call, anyway?" I curiously asked.

"I just wanted to give Baekhyun and the others good news."

My brows rose in curiousity, "What is it?"

"You'll find out very soon," she said mischievously.

My shoulders slumped, "Just tell me." 

I heard her giggle, making me melt inside.

"Guess where I am," her voice became cheerful. 

"Um, on my mind?" I gave an amused smile.

She took an unsteady breath, probably out of frustration. I can clearly imagine her cute, irritated expression Thinking about it, I bit my bottom lip again.

"So, where are you?" I asked seriously. 

"I'm closer than you think." 

"What do you mean?" I tilted my head, puzzled. 

"I can see you!"

"...What?" 

My head darted from left to right, searching for her. However, the sight of six immature boys swimming like abnormal dolphins was all I could see. 

"But I can't see you," I scratched my head in confusion.

"You look like a lost puppy," she laughed. 

"Hyemi, just tell me where you are!" I demanded. Another short pause came. 

"Turn around!" she mentioned. I listened to her and turned my body around completely. 

At that moment, our eyes met when I saw her across the street, her phone beside her ear. My heart skipped a beat when she gave me the most breathtaking smile.