24 Years Back

The Pain Behind The Darkness

1984-03-13 20:08pm Kawloon in the billiard pub
Guy: Please Mich gah, don't make it hard for us let your people stay outside.

Damien: Mich gah are you sur....

Michael: Don't worry Git zhai (zhai stands for son) it won't take long and I will be fine, what can he do?
And then he went in to the room with the rest outside and waiting.
At the same time he  entered the room a voice could be heard " hahaha Mich gah you came in the end" the voice belongs to no other then Power Chan who was sitting in the corner with a lady y dressed in red on the left side and a cigar in his right hand
"ah don't stay there come over" at the same time he said that he make a sign to the girl next to him and she started to fill up a glass of cognac.
Michael leer at the glass took a sip and sat down " I cam here today not because of you Power if Paul gah wasn't my older and I give him some face you won't be sitting here and enjoying your cigar today but my patience have a limit if you ever cross the line again I don't care if you are Paul gah's brother in law I won't be kind is it clear?"
The look Michael had wasn't something to joke about what he just said was for sure a warning Power could feel the tension in the air
"ha ha (struggling) wah Mich gah don't need to be so angry woh you can't earn all the money I just came to your area and wanted to share some of your wealth do you really mind?"
Michael stood up " lisen carefully I don't care what you do on Paul gah's side have a e or whatever but don't come and sollied my area, if I ever see you again with does drugs in my area I can promise you that you won't see the sun rise the day after. Paul gah can save you once but he can't protect you forever and keep that in your mind" after he was done with his words he just turn around and walk toward the door when he just pass by the billiartable and was planing to leave he could feel a high kick from his left side, as a gang leader that had been all alone from the years of 14 till know an attack from behind couldn't even touch him.
Michael just quickly laid back to prevent a high side kick and fastly get up and turned around to face the attacker who was squat on the middle of the billiartable
" Well I know there was something strange how could Power have the courage to face me all alone without any of his guys around and instead just have a y dress women by his side" Power stands up clapping his hands
" hahaha Mich gah you have quite good reflex, I want you to know that I'm not done with today's meeting before I said is over no one can walk out from this door without my permission, is it clear?" a tiny grin could be seen on Powers face after he state that.
Before Michael manage to response to what Power just said the lady attacked once again and this time Michael didn't care if the attacker he is facing is a women or not he blocked her kick from the right with his right hand and before she could react he tie is left fist and punch her hardly on the left cheek and before she fell down he used his right leg and give her a hard kick on the stomach so she flew over the billiartable and hit right on the wall next to Power.
Power was frozen on the place he was standing and in a second of time he could feel that his feet's didn't touch the floor, Michael was pushing him up on the wall with his lower arm right on Powers throat
" I think you have missed something it have always been me who decide when this meeting start and ends, also you should locate who is the lead and be clear about the difference between me and you.." before he finish his sentence the guys from outside all came in, and was chocked about the scene they was looking at
"you are just a chicken that always needs the help of your brother in law" after that Micheal let go off Power and told his people to leave.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

20:40pm Outside the billiar pub

Michael: You guys can leave now nothing to worry about Power won't cross the lines, I think I have made it clear for him that even Paul gah can't save his life
Damien: brother where are you going? are you sure you don't need us around I mean Power he...
Michael: Don't worry Git zha, I have everything under control and his men can't even hurt me. Go now
The guys: Ok brother see you

------------------------------------------------------------------

20:42pm Michael was on his way to pick up his car that was parked some blocks away

Michael: Wai low pah (low pah means wife if you doesn't know) ah, is charmy still up?

Michelle: of course, geh sah chu( which is similar to silly girl in eng) won't get to bed before she sees you, She is still angry at you because you couldn't be there and celebrate her yesterday.

Michael: But I really did have something to do up in Kwang Chow and couldn't be back in time, and I just came back this late afternoon and needed to deal with that Power Chan, but didn't you give her the gift that I bought to her for a week ago?

Michelle: Did you argue with Power again? you know that low jeh (the calling for the husbands dad in chinese) and Ming sok (sok stands for uncle) are buddy's and he don't want you to fight with our people.Well I thought of waiting for you to come home so we could hand it to her together.

Michael: Yeah I know that dad doesn't want me to fight with Power so it won't be so hard to face Paul gah but Power have cross the lines, if dad knows about the drug dealing in our area I think he will even killed Power by now.
Ah you didn't need to wait,I'm sure Charmy wouldn't mind if I didn't hand the gift to her by myself now she needs to wait one more day before she can open her present.

Michelle: Well then you don't know your daughter really well, she was at Lams mansion today and she almost turned the mansion upside down because of you.

Michael: ME? what have I done, I didn't promise her anything about I would be on the Lams mansion

Michelle: Well actually it's not your foult just that Fung zhai accidentally joked about you doesn't care about Charmys birthday, and the sah chu take it to serious. Nothing happen to Fung zhai but your daughter broke their TV.

Michael: Hahaha that's my girl!

Michelle: Are you kidding with me? she broke their TV and now you tell me that's you girl? you really have spoilt her.

Michael: Eh don't take it to serious the TV on Lams mansion is already so old it's time to get a new one. Hey where is Charmy I haven't heard her voice bring her to the phone

Michelle: oh well (rolling her eyes), Charmy dady is looking you!

Charm: Daddy!!!! (running to the phone from the kitchen)

Michael: Charmy I heard from Mommy that you was a bad girl today on Lams mansion is it right?

Charm: No! dady don't trust mommy she is laying I have been I nice girl, but Fung gor gor was really mean today so I just hit him and accidentally broke the TV it wasn't my fault.

Michael: Oh so it was Fung gor gor who was the bad boy, not charmy

Charm: Yeah yeah exactl! But daddy you have been a bad boy you promised charmy that you would celebrate my birthday every year with me but you didn't came home yesterday.

Michael: Yeah I know I'm the wrong one sorry lah, charmy don't be mad at daddy ok?

Charm: No, I'm still mad and grandpah is on my side this time

Michael: wah grandpah on your side ah, then what can daddy do to make charmy to forgive daddy?

Charm: I want to eat low pah beng ( a chinese wife cake) from Hang heung (the company that makes the most famous wife cakes in HK)

Michael: Wah! daddy is in Kawloon right now and it will take daddy more then an hour before daddy can be at home then charmy have already go to bed.

Charm: Don't worry daddy charmy will be awake and wait for you I don't need to go to children garden tomorrow.

Michelle: Don't be silly charmy daddy is really tired, and you have already brush your teeth

Charm: But it was daddy who asked me what he needed to do so charmy would forgive him.

Michael: Yeah and daddy will go to Yeun Long and buy it for you lah! charmy give the phone back to mommy.

Michelle: Are you really going in to Yeung Long just for buying the low pah beng?

Michael: Yeah that's my plan, oh by the way does dad want anything I can buy some congee for him now when I'm on my way.

Michelle: Nah you don't need to low jeh is still in the Lams mansion, you know him when he meets Ming they will chat nonstop and today charmy even broke the TV I think they will talk to late at night. But don't worry I had told the chauffeur to stay at the Lams mansion so he can drive low jeh home.

Michael: Ok then tell charmy to not fell asleep before I arrive home. Love ya

Michelle: I will, love you too

-----------------------------------------------------------------

21:35pm Yuen Long

Michael's cellphone started to call

Michael: Hello?

Charm: Daddy! where are you I have been waiting for very long when are you coming home? charmy is very sleepy

Michael: I have just bought your low pah bengs and bought mommy her beloved sweet soup but don't tell mommy ok? Daddy will be home soon wait 20 min and open the front door and daddy will be right infront of you.

Charm: Well then daddy we can chat till you arrive home, mommy told me to call you and make sure you wouldn't fell asleep during your ride home.

On the way to the car Micheal chatted happily with his daughter but what he didn't feel was someone on the other side of the street was following him, he trund to the hallway to get faster to his car so he could be home earlier to see charmy.

Charm: Daddy

Michael: mm

Charm: Mommy are making some sui jeh (late dinner) to you right now but don't tell her I told you ok?

Michael: Hahaha so you are betraying mommy now. ok then let me tell mommy that you have done that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

21:37pm

Charm: No daddy I.. Before charm could finish that sentence she heard her daddy scream. At the same moment the person that have been following Michael was running towards him and stabbed him with  an oxknife ( a knife with a long blade those knifes you see when the gangsters have figths) from behinde and the blade goes right through the lower back to the front of his stomach, the person pushed Michael towards the wall with Michael's face against the wall. Micheal drop the low pah beng's and the sweet soup to the ground.

Charm: Daddy, daddy what happen daddy? why aren't you answering charmy daddy? daddy?

Michael have no chance to get lost of this situation he couldn't even move because of the blade in him. "who are you?"
" Hahaha who I'm you should recognize this situation Mich gah but the differns is you are me and I'm you right now" with a struggling voice Michael let out " Power"
" and who was calling me chicken?, that I needed the help of my brother in law to survive huh?" during the whole conversation Charm was holding the phone and heard everything she didn't understand that her father was in danger or she was to chocked to understand it she also new that uncle Power is Fung gor gors uncle and they wouldn't hurt each other.
Power let go off Micheal that was really week and now laying on the grounds with the blood constantly flowing out, Power just stood there and watching him suffer

Charm: Daddy are you still there? daddy answer me? don't play with charmy, charmy don't want to play with you anymore daddy?!

Michael could hear the voice of charmy and tried to srteach his arm to reach the phone that was also laying on the ground but Power kick it away for a little so he couldn't reach it.

Charm could hear her fathers week voice " why Power why did you do this?"
"I told you I just wanted to share some of your wealth, hahhahaha but seeing you like this is even better"

Michelle heard that charmy was screaming for her daddy and wondered what happen she came out from the kitchen and saw charm with teary eyes and still screaming.
She took the phone from charm " don't play lah charmy starts crying Miche....." before Michelle could continue the phone line was broken.
Michelle was abit worried and ask charmy what did daddy said to her? But charm was already in shock and didn't answer she just sat there on the sofa.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

At Lams mansion 21:35pm

Kong: Aijah my grandchild can be so silly sometimes she even broke the TV today I feel ashamed.

Ming: Ah don't say that kong charmy have always been a nice and obient child, it's Fung zhai I should feel ashamed over. I mean if it wasn't he who didn't think before he made that joke charmy wouldn't get that mad. As long as both didn't get hurt then it's ok.
The TV was already very old and we needed to buy a new one just that Paul have been to lazy to do it so now thanks to charmy we can get a new one.

Kong: Hahahaha ah Ming you don't need to help her out she is very spoilt by all of us I know that I need to teach her better but it's so hard to be strict to her when she is looking at you with those big eyes.

Ming: hahaha the old Kong that never let Micheal have what he want have really changed, you can't even raise you voice when you are talking to charmy.

Kong: Hahaha yeah I know I can't lie anymore I'm old, from the day she born I have already give everything to Micheal to handle and could concentrate to be a real grandfather for her.

Ming: Hahaha ah Kong I know what you mean even if I still was in the gang during Fung zhais birth till Fung zhai was three years then I finally could give all the things to Paul and become a real grandfather, even for me it's hard to punish him when he is wrong. So how can you that have been there from the beginning punish her.

Kong: haha ah Ming you have always been softer then me, so how would you give punish to Fung zhai?

Ming: yeah because of my softness that was the reason why my son couldn't take over all the things on his early years not like Michael that took over everything when he was only 23.

Kong: Aijah don't prise him, this son will be to proud of himself if he heard that from you ah Ming.

Ming: Ah Kong you are too strict towards Michael he is really good taking care of everything on Choi Long in these 4 years and I can see that you don't need to worry. Unlike Paul I handed everything to him when he was 31 and till today I still need to worry, it's have been three years and he still can't take care of Cheng Long properly.

Kong: Wah don't say that Cheng Long is build by you of course you would be more careful and worried.Aijah you haven't seen the bad side of Micheal that's why you think he is soo good. This son is pau zheung geng (firework neck which mean low temper) get allot of enemies if it wasn't the older that help him he would have been killed by now and taken to some unknown place.

Ming: Wah that was the old time, Micheal was still young back then he was only 14 and thought he could do something bigger then his father. You can't blame him such father such son. You was also like that when your dad was fighting to build up Choi Long what did you do? you tried to have a gang of your own.

Kong: hahah that was the old time, I still remember how the old man hit me and how disappointed he was in me when he thought that I was not going to help him.

Mary: low jeh, Kong sok have some thé you must be very thirsty by now.

Kong: mm.. oh it's Kung Fu thé woh, Mary your pouring thé skills have improved a lot

Mary: Kong sok don't laught at me the pouring thé skills is not good as Michelles, it's her that teached me.

Kong: hah ah Ming you daughter in law is so shy, this is a good san poh (daughter in law), Paul have find a great san poh for you unlike mine haih..

Ming: Kong your san poh is even better then mine how can you say she is a bad one. She know that you love to dring chinese thé she even take courses to learn it. For what? just for you she herself don't drink thé.

----------------------------------------------------------------

21:40pm Sheh mansion

Michelle tried to call back to Micheal but no one was answering.
On the other side Power who have stand here for some minutes couldn't bare the sound of the calling and wanted to turn off the phone just as he was going to he heard some noice and ran away quickly and left the phone on the ground.
The sound he heard was from the police officers walki talki that have heard the sound of the phone calling from the hallway and decided to check it out.

-------------------------------------------------------------

21:50pm Sheh mansion
The phone started to call Michelle who have been sitting next to the phone took the phone call right away.
A man from the other line asked if he have come to the family of Micheal Sheh Michelle didn't hesitate and said Yes, the man then ask
"who I'm a talking to" Michelle with a shaky voice answered "his wife" the man on the other line introduce himself.
Man: I'm Senior Inspector Wong Chi Lau and I'm calling from Maria hospital. I want to inform you that your husband have been through an accident and have been sent to Maria hospital and he is now in the operation room but his condition is bad you better come here right away.

----------------------------------------------------------------

At Lams mansion 21:49pm

Ming: Ah we can talk about the old times for a whole day, do you still remember the promise we had for each other?

Kong: Of course I remember, they day Paul was born we made the promise that if I get a daughter I will let her marry your sun. But too bad that Ada was born so late I mean she was only eigth years old when Fung zhai was born. Is sad that we couldn't be family.

Ming: haha ah Kong we still have the chance. Fung zhai and Charmy are going round well and have her as my grandchild in law I would be more then happy.

Kong: hahaha to let Fung zhai take care of charmy rest of her life can't be better, Even if I die I don't need to worry

Ming: Chaij (which means touch wood) ah kong if that day come I will go first. And I haven't planed to leave this world so early at least I would wait till my gran gran child is born

--------------------------------------------------------------

21:52pm Ring ring...
Chat jeh( seventh sister an house keeper)in Lams mansion

Michelle: can you please pass the phone to my low yeh, hearing Michelle's voice like that chat jeh know there was something wrong.

Chat Jeh: Mr Sheh Mrs sheh is on the phone.

Kong: what is it Gah sou (daughter in law)

Michelle: Low yeh Micheal.. Micheal he...sound of sobbing could be heard he have been through an accident and have been sent to Maria Hospital he is in the operation room right now and his condition is bad..

Kong: Calm down gah sou who said this to you?, have you tried to call Micheals cellphone? are you sure it isn't any of our enemies that have played a trick on us? Where is charmy? did she know about this?

Michelle: It was Senior Inspector Wong Chi Lau who called and told me this news, and I have tried to call Micheal but no one is answering. I don't know if it's a trick or not. No charmy doesn't know anything I left her at home with lok jeh (sixth sister another house keeper) and I'm on my way to Maria hospital and Ada is with me.

Kong: Ok I will tell ah Chun (chauffeur) to drive me to Maria hospital right away.
Ming could feel that was something wrong "what have happened?" Kong had cold sweat " Micheal are in the hospital"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

22:05pm Maria Hospital
Michelle and Ada both was running in to the hospital right to the counter and asked where Michael is.
The Senior Inspector Wong Chi Lau came up to both and told them that Micheal was still in the operation room before they go and see him he needed one of them to stay and because of the young age Ada he choised to ask Michelle instead.

Wong: You are Michael's...

Michelle: Wife

Wong: Ok then Mrs Sheh can you check if all his belongings are here and nothing is missing?
Is this cellphone your husbands? if this is his belongings then please sign here.
Michelle didn't really pay any attention in if the any thing was missing the only thing she want to know is to see how her husband was.

Wong: Also want to ask you if you would know anything about your husband having any enemies or have any arguments with anyone recently?

Michelle: I don't know,.... why do you ask?

Wong: Well when one of my colleagues find your husband in the hallway he had a oxknife through his stomach and he got attacked from behind. So we was consider this case to be a revenge or something like that he didn't had any other injuries then the knife stabbing and it seems like the one who stabbed him wanted him to be dead more then other thigs because your husband still have threethousandtwohundredfortysix and fifty hongkong dollor left in his wallet.

-----------------------------------------

22:12pm Kong, Ming and Paul arrived to Maria hospital
When they entered the emergency ward they saw Michelle standing on the side with an unknown man.
When they all came up to her Michelle was talking to that man
" I don't know I can't think of anyone right away but he did say he had to deal with Power Chan these night and they had an argument" Paul interrupt
" what?! what are you saying Michelle, the problem between Power and Micheal was already cleared why do you need to bring it up"

Wong: Excuse me but who are you? and what do you know about the problem between Power Chan and Micheal Sheh?

Paul: And who are you? why should I tell you?

Wong: I'm Senior Inspector Wong Chi Lau and I'm in charge with this case. And can you now tell me what the problem between Micheal and Power is?
If you don't want us to suspect him then helping us is the best way.

Paul: Eh.. it's just some business matters but it's fine now
Wong wasn't satisfied with Pauls answer but didn't go further because it wasn't the right time.
" ok thanks, if we have more questions or find other evidence we will contact you Mrs Sheh" after that Wong leaved the hospital

-----------------------------------------------------------------

22:20pm outside operation room
The light of the operation room sign turn off, Michelle was the first one who went up to the doctor
"doctor how is my husband?" the doctor take off the mask
" I'm so sorry, we did everything we could but still couldn't save your husband I'm sorry, don't take it to hard" with that said the doctor and the nurses leaved.
Michelle didn't move the tears in her eyes just flowing out uncontrolled she couldn't believe what she just heard.
Kong who was standing right behind Michelle started to move backwards
"huh huh no no it can't be, my son wouldn't die so easily" to see Kong in this condition Ming hold him and tried to calm him down
" Kong don't take it to hard, Mich doesn't want to see you like this"
The operation door opened and two nurses was pushing out Micheal.
Michelle who hadn't moved since she get the message about Micheal's death started to run toward the bed
" no, NO MICHEAL DON'T LEAVE ME"
At the same time Ada and Kong get to the bed
" GAH, NO WAKE UP GAH YOU CAN'T JUST LEAVE US LIKE THAT GAH"
" ZHAI ZHAI STAND UP DON'T SLEEP ZHAI" seeing them like that Paul pulled Michelle away and Ming pulled Kong away one of the nurse pulled Ada away and continue their way.
Ada screamingly run after her brother but in the end she sat on the floor and just cried.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------