Step 3: Share Common Interests

"How To Catch A Dragon" for Dummies.

 

-Step 3-

 

Seeing how his leader was sitting by himself at the kitchen table, Jongin walked towards him and ruffled his hair, smiling. "What are you doing, hyung?" he asked, wondering what his older brother was doing with a notebook and his laptop by his side.

 

"I'm trying to know how to be closer to Yixing" he answered seriously, making his dongseng laugh at his cute response.

 

"And why do you need to write-" he said, leaning against his hyung shoulder and reading what he had wrote on the notebook "Yixing's clothes sizes? Seriously hyung, If I didn't know you, I would think you have no clue of how to make friends"

 

"It's...ah!" Joonmyun gripped his hair, clearly frustrated "is more than that. By watching his body language, I know Yixing's actually pretty sensitive and I don't want to make him cry trying too hard to be his friend. Remember how I made Chanyeol hide from me for three weeks?"

 

Jongin just smiled reassuringly, patting his back and laughing a little at the memory.

 

At first glance, everyone thinks Joonmyun is the kind hearted leader and Wufan is the mean insensitive leader. But is usually backwards. Don't get him wrong, Jongin loves his hyungs a lot -heck, they've been together for five years, being the three of them who took the longest time being trainees- but Jongin knows Joonmyun's usually a little insensitive. Not in a bad way, but his mind is usually busy with everything else that he doesn't notice when he had hurt someone.

 

One example being when Joonmyun -in all his smiley glory- told Chanyeol that he has big funny ears.

 

Chanyeol cried in Sehun's chest for hours after that, stuttering how there was this mean hyung who was making fun of him on his first day at SMent. Obviously that wasn't Joonmyun's intention, but the older guy didn't notice what he had done because he was pretty busy trying to make the other trainees to stop making fun of Chanyeol's big creepy eyes behind his back. It didn't work much until Wufan glared at everyone who dared to make a comment about him. No one did.

 

That's why Jongin understood Joonmyun's worry about hurting Yixing. What if he tried to make a funny comment about him and ended up hurting him? What if he said something innocent like how Yixing actually looks like a unicorn -Yixing's distaste for that animal is widely known between the members- and makes him angry?

 

"Do you think I can just... buy him ice cream and say nothing to him for the rest of my life?" came the useless solution.

 

"No hyung" laughed Jongin "I think you can't avoid him forever. You need to get closer. If not for the fans, do it to make a new friend"

 

"Well, you're not better than me" Joonmyun smiled knowingly at his dongseng. Jongin just avoided his eyes, sighing and sitting beside his hyung, dropping his head at the older’s left shoulder. "I know... but, what am I suppose to do? Moonkyu hates him with a passion and Kyungsoo doesn't like me because of that. What can I do to change that? It's already pretty hard trying to pretend we're close in front of the fans when we're not."

 

It was time for Joonmyun to hug Jongin and pat his back, knowing pretty well how their personal interactions were closely watched by everyone. Joonmyun's been there when Moonkyu -one of Jongin's best friends along with Sehun and Taemin- yelled at Kyungsoo and hit him in the middle of the practice room. Obviously, Kyungsoo hit him too and they kept fighting until Minseok hit both of them on the neck -using his Tae kwon do skills- immobilizing them before their vocal teacher came back.

 

After that, both Kyungsoo and Moonkyu started hating each other, and as a friend, Jongin sided with Moonkyu. You can't blame him, that's what friends do. He didn't know two years later he would be debutting with Kyungsoo and not Moonkyu. He didn't know they would be roommates. He didn't know the fans would like them to be together so their company demanded them to be closer.

 

And believe him, it was pretty awkward.

 

"Well, you know Kyungsoo's a good guy. Why don't you try to treat him like nothing happened before? Like a real friend, not what you usually do" Joonmyun laughed, remembering how his dongseng -not knowing what to do to break the ice- started teasing Kyungsoo with their fake Kaisoo relationship just to see how the older's eyes widened every time "If you keep doing that, I'm pretty sure Kyungie's going to hit you on the face with a frying pan. Hard."

 

"Uhm. ." at Kai's response both of them laughed, Joonmyun already knowing he couldn't use Jongin's techniques in his soon-to-be friendship with the Chinese guitarist. He would probably be skined alive by both Luhan and Wufan.

 

That night in the kitchen table, both of them make their mission to become closer with their fanservice partner, hoping to gain a friend.

 

One of them would gain more than that.

 

--------------------------------

 

 

"What are you writing, Fan?"

 

That day after arriving at Thailand and doing a photoshot, Exo-M headed to their hotel to sleep a few hours before going back and film Ching100 variety show for the first time. It was a surprise when Hyunkyun just gave their hotel room cardkeys at Luhan and walked away awkwardly. Jongdae swears he heard him whispering something along the lines of 'manipulative kid'.

 

Now here he was, trying to write some lyrics on his laptop while lying on his bed and smiling softly at a curious dongseng. "I'm writing."

 

"What are you writing?" asked Yixing, sitting behind his gege on the bed and taking a glance at his notebook "Wufan, you're handwritting " he laughed, using a pillow as a shield and avoiding Kris' punch. "What does it say?"

 

"It's not finished yet..." Wufan murmured, taking away his notebook and pretending to be mad at the younger. But Yixing was faster and in a second, he rolled on the bed and stole the notebook, reading it while running away from his gege. "Hey! Don't read it! Yixing, I mean it!"

 

"Oh baby don't let...leave! yeah, don't leave me alone" Yixing started reading the Chinese characters "Oh baby, I'm still wai...waiting for you, Oh baby, I'll never.....yah! Wufan!" Yixing screamed when he felt how the older one took him by the waist and throw him on the bed, making him laugh at his childish behavior "I just wanted to know what you were writing!"

 

"And I said it wasn't finished yet" Wufan growled, lying besides Lay on the bed and hitting him on his forehead lightly.

 

"Can I read it when you finish it, then?" Yixing asked, turning around and looking at the other with a smile. He couldn't help it, he loved being near Wufan. And now that Yixing knew why he liked it so much, he's going to enjoy every single time he spends with him.

 

Yixing wasn't stupid, he knows Luhan was behind the new roommate arrangements and he couldn't feel more grateful to have such an amazing friend.

 

"I don't know" Wufan said, turning around too and facing his dongseng "I'm not... I'm not really good at writing lyrics, I just like doing it" Yixing's smile felt warmer everytime he was being sincere with him and Wufan knew that. Apparently Yixing appreciates when he's being more Wufan and less Exo-M's perfect leader Kris.

 

"It's fine. No pressure" Yixing smiled.

 

Wufan smiled back.

 

"But if you want, I can help" Yixing continued and sensing the question on the other's mouth, he continued "I get creative when I hear instrumental music. Maybe that could help you. Wanna try?"

 

' it, he always makes me say yes' Wufan thought, nodding and watching how Lay got up from bed and took his guitar from the corner of their hotel room. He sat beside Wufan again and stared at him. "Are you gonna play?" he asked, when Yixing just looked at him without doing anything.

 

"Have you thought how your song is gonna sounds like?" Yixing wondered.

 

"...you can choose that" Wufan smiled sheepishly because he never thought about that before. Yixing just shaked his head with a playful smile and started messing with the guitar's strings, trying to create a new melody.

 

"Ok, read what you wrote whenever you want" Lay said, leaning against the headboard and closing his eyes, still playing with his guitar. The older just kept looking at him for some time. Until he realized what he was doing and looked at his notebook instead. Sitting besides his dongseng, Wufan just kept hearing the music.

 

"Oh baby, don't leave me alone. Oh baby, I'm still waiting for you. Oh baby, I just don’t want you to go. Let me be a part of you" Wufan sang awkwardly, glancing at Yixing waiting for some kind of sneer. But none came. "My heart breaks when you're not with me, please tell me you'll come by my side, I'll always be with you no matter what" Wufan finished, waiting for his dongseng's opinion.

 

"Mmm... I like the first verse but the second one sounds a little bit rushed, don't you think?" Yixing kept playing his guitar, looking at the ceiling and waiting for Wufan's response. The latter just sang the last verse one more time and ended up nodding. "Yeah, something's missing. What about "My heart breaks when...you go away?"

 

Yixing ended up singing with him, following Wufan's lyrics and smiling happily. "Yeah! That sounds better" he beamed at Kris, showing his dimples and happy to feel useful.

 

They fell asleep three hours later, with Yixing hugging his guitar like a little child and Wufan whispering their made-up song in four different languages.

 

Oh baby, don't leave me alone

Oh baby, I'm still waiting for you

Oh baby, I just don’t want you to go

Let me be a part of you.

 

My heart breaks when you go away.

Please tell me you love me still.

I'll be right here with you.

 

----------------

 

“Wait… If you’re my roommate and Yixing’s with Wufan, that means…”

 

“Oh, .” Luhan widened his eyes at Minseok, knowing full well how he forgot the only condition his manager left him. ‘I’m spending too much time with that forgetful unicorn’ he whined, hitting his head on the wall while Xiumin rushed out of their room to prevent the end of the world.

 

---------------

 

Hi! I can't help but wonder why the hell I always end up writing in the middle of the night but I hope you like this chapter! :D And yeah... I'm going to enjoy writing Kaisoo. For those who don't know, the rumor about Moonkyu (Kai's best friend) and Kyungsoo disliking each other is real (I said rumor, I'm not sure if it's real but I'm using it because it was interesting). It's also true that Wufan, Joonmyun and Jongin were the ones who spend the most time being trainees (since 2007) so I like to imagine they're close since then.

 

And I love bromance, I'm going to write a lot of that xD Here was a little of KaiHo, ChanHun, and XiuHan. I hope you liked it!

 

One last thing. To the first person who recognize Kray's song, I'm going to let them choose a pairing (Any pairing you want, it doesn't matter if I'm not going to make them fall in love in my story) and write the next chapter about them. The next chapter Exo will be reunited so, choose whoever you want! :)
(It's pretty easy xD)


Love you all, you random readers! (?) <3