Protecting Her

If Angels Could Cry

AN: please read the first chapter again if you haven't. I've been experiencing some technical difficulties hence it didn't fully upload it. Sorry again. Here's the second part.

Weeks past and she rarely cried anymore. On occasions however where the pain just got too unbearable, tears had flooded her eyes but she didn't go to the park anymore to cry her eyes out.

 
"Jin Ae, go get your father some beer" her mother shouted. She looked through her pockets and found no money, how was she meant to buy anything without money. Her mother came up behind her and pulled her ponytail making her squirm.
 
"What are you still doing here, get going otherwise no food today" she said pushing her out into the cold.
 
"But..." she softly began when outside, "I have no money".
Her mother got angry and threw a bill in her face and shut the door behind her.
 
She began walking in the direction of the shops sighing and shivering. She hadn't even been able to grab a jacket.
 
 
 
Tao hadn't seen Jin Ae since she walked away a few weeks ago. Even when he walked home, she wasn't under the tree at the park. Unknowingly he had gotten used to seeing her there. He wanted to see her again but didn't know why.
 
When he saw her then, a unconscious smile spread across his face. What was she doing here? She was holding a shopping bag and walking quite fast.
 
He approached her and grabbed her wrist to slow her down. The wrist he was holding was bruised already and she winced in pain. He immediately let go when he notices her pained expression. As soon as the her wrist was let go of, she looked to see who it was. Noticing him she smiled.
 
"Oh hello Tao" she greeted him kindly.
 
"Hi Jin Ae" he sheepishly replied back. He had approached her but really he had no reason to. "What are you doing here?" he asked awkwardly.
 
"Oh nothing just shopping" he looked to see what she was carrying and noticed the six pack of beer in her bag. 
 
In a short moment, he grabbed the bag off her and put it in a nearby bin before turning back to her. "Aren't you too young to be drinking. Cry all you want but don't drown your sorrows in alcohol!" One thing he hated more than crying was alcohol, he had seen the effects of it first hand and was the very reason he had left home many years ago. She looked at him surprised for a second before going to the bin to get her bag.
 
"What the hell Tao" she screamed back at him whilst rummaging through the bin, "it isn't for me! What is with you? Why does it matter anyway if I drink? You don't know me so don't pretend you do." At first she had liked Tao, he seemed to have a cold exterior but she thought this just covered up his nice and kind personality. Now she just thinks he's crazy. She got her bag out the bin and began walking away from him. He stared at her walk away, stunned, he had not expected her to shout back at him. A feeling of guilt washed over him for misunderstanding the situation and he began following her.
 
"Stop it" she said after a few minutes, Tao had assumed she didn't notice his existence behind her but he was wrong.
 
"Stop what?" Tao asked innocently.
 
"Stop following me"
 
"I'm just walking home" he replied back.
 
"I know for a fact where you live and it's not anywhere around here!" Tao didn't reply straightaway, he knew she had got him there. Instead, after a few seconds he changed the subject.
 
"Why haven't I seen you at the park anymore?" he asked softly. She looked at him for a bit, he had noticed her absence?
 
"I don't see a need for it anymore" she honestly answered, "I tried to take your advice. It's hard sometimes."
 
"What's so hard about it, just don't cry!" he said, this time a little  louder than he expected.
 
"Again I would just like to say, you don't know me" she answered back, Tao's mood swings annoyed her, one minute he was kind and the next he was angry.
 
"I would like" he started quieter than before, almost a mutter to himself, "to know you."
 
She kept walking and Tao kept following behind silently. His angry eyes had softened and he looked as if he was in thought, trying to speak.
 
"Were you born here?" he asked
unexpectedly. He was attempting to get to know her. She nodded in return.
 
"Where do you live?"
 
"Not too far from here" she answered indicating up the road.
 
"How old are you?" 
 
"18"
 
"Your younger than me" he stated. 
"What school do you attend?"
 
That question hit her as she didn't go to school like most kids her age. She didn't deserve school, instead she deserved verbal and physical beatings everyday. Tears threatened to escape but she resisted and turned to Tao. This unexpected movement cause him to tumble back a bit in surprise.
"What are you doing, do you think I'll start to cry if you ask me all these questions. Yes I do cry a lot but you know what I don't care. Crying works! No matter how much it doesn't help the situation it helps me cope with my emotions ok. So just leave me alone." And with that she stormed off to the direction of her house. 
 
She arrived home a few minutes later, she didn't get a chance to grab her keys so she had to ring the door bell. Her father answered looking angry. He grabbed her pony tail and pulled it bending her back backwards, she shut her eyes at the pain.
 
"Why are you late?" he growled.
 
"I was getting you beer" she answered though the pain. Her father let go of her hair and went to examine the bag of beer.
 
"What is this, it's not even my brand" he scolded.
 
"Mother didn't give me enough money" she stated weakly.
 
"So now your blaming her!" he had gotten angrier and she remained silent. "Whatever, go get me some new ones!" he said throwing the bag with the beers in her face before shutting the door. She stood there in front of her front door, her nose was bleeding and she was shivering. All this had happened on her front porch, she wondered why the neighbors didn't care. They could obviously hear her father's abusive words.
 
For the first time since she met Tao, she actually felt like crying. Did no one care about her? Was she just a commodity that could be thrown away at anytime? Would her parents throw her away once they decided she was of no use anymore?
 
A soft hand came and wiped her tears. It was Tao. He pulled her into a hug and just let her cry.
For the first time Tao didn't care that the girl was crying, he had seen the happenings just then as he had silently followed her and he just wanted her to be ok.
 
"Tao..." she said in between sobs, "I'm getting blood on your clothes"
 
"Don't worry about it" he said softly.
 
When her crying had finally calmed down, Tao still held her in his arm refusing to let her go. "Umm...Tao...you can let go of me." He slowly released her and smiled awkwardly at her.
 
"Come with me" he said softly holding her hand, he had already noticed her bruised wrists and didn't want to hurt them anymore.
 
They walked hand in hand towards his apartment in silence. She didn't know what to say, Tao was being so nice after she had shouted him. 
 
The air was cold as winter was fast approaching. She was shivering, noticing this Tao took off his jacket and draped it across her shoulders.
 
"No, you'll be cold" she protested handing the jacket back to him. 
 
"But you won't be" he whispered as he turned around in front of her and zipped the jacket up. Her arms weren't even in the sleeves and she looked like a weird penguin. He slightly chuckled at how funny she looked. She frowned and pouted. He looked away blushing and kept walking with her following behind him.
 
"Was that your father" he didn't want to ask but he had to know. She just nodded.
 
"And he does that to you?" he sounded angry and his eyes had gone back to the sharpness she feared. Again she simple nodded. Now he understood the reason for the bruises and scars on her body.  No one deserved to be treated that way, especially by their own parents.
 
His apartment was warm and bright just as she remembered it. He led her in and closed the door behind him. He left her standing in his living room and walked towards his own room. She stood silently waiting. What was she supposed to do? Why was she even here?
 
He returned holding a box and sat down on his couch. "Come here" he said signaling the seat next to him. She slowly walked over to him and sat down. He leaned in close and she blushed pulling back away from him.
 
"Sit still" he said pulling her back in by her shoulders. He opened the box took out a alcohol wipe and started rubbing the cloth under her nose. A small tear escaped her  eye and he hand paused. 
 
"Does it hurt?" he asked softly. She shook her head. Her tears for the first time were out of happiness. No one had ever cared for her before. He again wiped the single tear from her eye and smiled. "Why are you crying then"
 
"Why are you being so nice"
 
"I know I may look and act cold but I do care" he said as he finished cleaning her up.
 
"Why?" she asked, "Why do you care?" 
 
Slowly he leaned towards her, closed his eyes and kissed her. The kiss was soft and sweet and lasted a few seconds. Pulling away he whispered in her ear, "That's why I care". A blush swept across her far and she placed her hand to her lips. Tao didn't expect to kiss her either, he just did but he didn't regret it one bit. He wanted to protect her.
 
"Don't go home" he said softly, "don't go home to that, stay here."