Imperfect Family

To Teacher, From Student, With Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9XxCeZebP8

Lee Hyun- My Heartsore

----

“Die! Die!” Ricky roared as he battled Chunji on the fight street game.

Chunji’s eyes were intently focused on the screen as if his life depended on this game.

“Come on, Ricky!” Changjo cheered.

“Hey! Don’t I get a cheer squad, too?” Chunji glanced at his best friend.

“Shut your trap if you know what’s good for you.” L. Joe warned.

“Sheesh. Some friend you are.” Chunji grumbled. Niel laughed as he popped his cherry-flavored lollipop in his mouth.

At the last second, Ricky conquered Chunji.

“SCORE!” Ricky stood up with his arms pumped in the air. “Yeah! You go, Ricky!” Changjo celebrated with him. The giddy maknaes mocked Chunji and laughed obnoxiously.

“Aish!” Chunji slammed his hands on the control buttons and stood up with flaring eyes. “It’s all your fault! I lost because of you!” He pointed at L. Joe, who raised an eyebrow. “Please. Don’t blame me for your poor game skills.”

Chunji fumed and stomped his feet. “Rematch! Me and…Niel!” He pointed.

“No thanks, hyung.” Nil glanced at his black watch lazily. “I have places to go, people to meet.”

“Where are you going now?” CAP questioned.

“Don’t try to find out too much. You’ll get hurt.” Niel winked and sprinted off. He tossed his skateboard on the ground, hopped onto it, and vanished out of sight.

“Where the hell does he run off to these days?” Chunji scratched his head. *I think I have a hint.* CAP smiled, amused.

“Want to play against me, hyung?” Changjo smirked. “You’re on.” L. Joe sat down and pushed coins into the slot.

“I’m not going to cheer for you either! So ha!” Chunji childishly stuck his tongue out.

“Good. I don’t need to hear your annoying voice while I play.” L. Joe said.

“Yah!” Chunji yelped, and CAP guffawed.

-----

Sohee lugged the heavy trash bag out of the building and towards the garbage cans. She put it in the proper pin and dusted her hands clean. Sohee looked up at the sky and squinted. The clouds were gray and gloomy. *It looks like it’s going to rain soon. I better go in before the sky opens, and it pours.* Sohee wrapped her yellow knit cardigan tighter around herself, crossed her arms over her chest, and scuttled towards the building.

“Sohee-ah.” A masculine voice called. Sohee froze in her steps. She could recognize that voice anywhere. It belonged to the man who had ditched his family twelve years ago for a younger woman and a new family. “Lee Sohee.” He called.

Sohee whirled around with flashing eyes. “Don’t…call me that. I threw that surname away long ago…when you threw me and mom away.” Her tone was brittle and unwelcoming.

Mr. Lee flinched at the hostility in her voice. “Sohee, please.”

“What are you doing here? I told you not to show up at my house anymore unannounced!” There was venom in her voice.

“I tried to contact you, but you ignored my calls!” Mr. Lee defended.

Sohee remained silent. That much was true. She had ignored every call and text message he had sent.

“Do you know how worried I was about you? I know you don’t want to talk to me, but can you at least respond to my messages? I had no choice to come up and check on you.” He sighed.

Sohee averted her gaze. “Well, I’m fine. No need to start pretending you care now.”

“Sohee, please-“ Mr. Lee pleaded.

“I have work to do. You should leave.” Sohee turned around.

“Can we talk?” Mr. Lee asked.

She spun around with hard eyes. “What do you think my answer will be?” His face was solemn and tired. She saw the wrinkles on his face. His hair was thinning at the top. She could tell he was growing older.

“Please, Sohee. Cooperate with me just this once. I came all the way here to see you. Can you please show some respect and come with me to talk?” Mr. Lee begged.

Sohee didn’t reply. Mr. Lee beckoned her to follow him. “My car is over there. Come with me, please.”

Sohee bit her bottom lip. Then with a reluctant sigh, she trudged after him.

-----

Niel skipped up the hill with his skateboard tucked under his arm while still on his lollipop. He looked up at the sky and wondered when it would rain. *I wish it would rain soon. That way, ssem can make me hot cocoa, and we can have a romantic moment together.* Niel grinned at his own fantasies. He arrived near her building and whistled a tune.

Niel stuck his lollipop into his right cheek, looked up, and halted. His eyes brightened like Christmas lights when he saw Sohee standing there. It was like she knew he was going to come. “Ssem-“ Niel raised his hand but stopped.

A man had approached Sohee. Niel scrunched his eyebrows and squinted. *Who is that? Can’t be another rival. That man is just too old.* The man said something. Sohee shot back with a disturbed expression. Niel watched the two of them converse. He was too far to overhear their conversation.

Whoever this man was, Niel already didn’t like him. He didn’t like the way Sohee’s shiny eyes had dimmed and her expression had grown dark just because of that mysterious man. *Is he bothering her? I’ll take care of him if he’s messing with her.* Niel cracked his knuckles menacingly.

The man stepped away and waved his hand. Sohee appeared anxious and uneasy. She was stuck in a dilemma.

The man called for her again. With a resigned sigh, she lumbered forward. He unlocked the car. With a wary expression, she entered the car.

Niel went on alert. *No, ssem. Don’t go.* The car was beginning to drive away. Niel quickly tossed his skateboard on the ground. As fast as he could, he skated after the car.

-------------

Mr. Lee and Sohee arrived a nice, quiet café. She couldn’t hide the displeased expression on her face. This was the last thing she wanted to do: have tea with her father who had ruined her adolescent life and killed her mother.

The waitress in a sky blue-and-brown uniform walked over and bowed polietly. “What can I get you today?”

“I’ll have an Americano. What do you want, Sohee?” Mr. Lee asked with such casualness that it made her dig her fingernails into her seat.

“Nothing. I don’t plan to stay for long.” Sohee answered.

The waitress glanced at Mr. Lee with uncertainty and confusion. “Sohee, you should still get something.” He said in a low voice.

“Nothing. Thank you.” Sohee ignored him and dismissed the waitress. “Oh. Okay.” She bowed and walked away.

Mr. Lee sighed. “You’re making things so much more complicated than it has to be.”

*And whose fault is that, I wonder?* Sohee knew she was being immature about this, but she couldn’t help it. Her resentment spilled uncontrollably whenever he was near her. The way he was living so perfectly fine irked her.

“So…how are you?” Mr. Lee asked. “I told you I was fine.” Sohee coldly answered.

“Well…” He fidgeted, obviously uncomfortable by the cold shoulder. “You didn’t reply back.”

Sohee looked at him. “I sent you a letter during Christmas time. I invited you to dinner, but you didn’t bother to show up.”

“Did you really think I would go?” She asked. “You came two summers ago.” He replied.

*That’s because you forced me to. You trapped me into a barbeque party with your wife and daughter.* Sohee thought indignantly.

“Yeona and Hanhee were waiting for you.” Mr. Lee blurted. Sohee gritted her teeth. Like she cared about her stepmother and half-sister. If she had

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter