Do you care about me?

To Teacher, From Student, With Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciMGKKIL7TE&feature=related

Shayne- Story

----

Sohee and Niel sat in her car in silence. No one spoke. All they could hear was the pitter-patter of the rain outside.

Sohee moved her gaze upward to check his face.

Ashamed, Niel couldn’t meet her eyes. He kept his eyes averted on the floor of the car. He swallowed hard and fidgeted in his seat.

Niel never tells us anything because he’s ashamed to reveal his weak side.

*Byunghun is right. As his mentor, as someone older, I have to step up and take charge.* Sohee straightened up and smiled. “I have something for you.” She reached into the backseat.

Niel finally looked at her. He wondered what she had for him.

“There we go.” Sohee brought out two boxes. She held out the bigger box first. Niel gave her a curious look. “Take it.” Sohee nodded. “It’s yours.” Niel took the box but didn’t open it. He looked to her for a clue to what this box might hold. “I heard it was your birthday.” Sohee said. Niel stared at her. *How did she know?*

“I couldn’t get a cake, but I got a cupcake on the way. I hope you like chocolate and strawberry.” Sohee opened the smaller box to reveal a chocolate cupcake with strawberry frosting. “Can you hold onto this while I find the lighter?” She requested. Stunned, Niel held his palms out, and she placed the cupcake in them. “Thanks. Now where did I put that? I asked the baker for one…” Sohee dug through the glove compartment. “A-ha! Found it! Here is the candle, too.” She held out one tall, blue candle and stuck it in the middle of the cupcake.

“Hold still.” Sohee switched the lighter on and lit the candle. It sparked to life, and her face brightened. “There we go. Now I should the ‘happy birthday’ song to you, huh? Mind you. I’m not good at singing.” Sohee cleared and began to sing.

Niel watched her in amazement and astonishment.

He was amazed to have an angel sing to him on his birthday. He was astonished that his wish came true.

“Happy birthday to Daniel~ Happy birthday to you!” Beaming, Sohee clasped her hands together. “Now blow out the candle!” He just continued to stare at her with wet eyes. “Hurry! The wax is melting! Oh! And don’t forget to make a wish!” She added.

Niel stared at the candle for five seconds. Then he closed his eyes and made a wish in the deepest part of his heart. *I wish I could be with this amazing woman forever.* Niel opened his eyes and blew the candle out. Sohee smiled and clapped. “Bravo, Niel!” Her eyes softened. She put her hand on top of his, and he jumped, startled by her touch. He looked into her eyes, and right away, his heart began to do crazy flip flops in his chest.

“Happy 19th birthday, Ahn Daniel.” Sohee whispered genuinely with a warm smile. That only made him fall deeper in love with her.

Beaming, she set the cupcake aside. “Open your gift.”

Niel stared down at the box. Slowly, he opened it and pushed aside the thin tissue paper. There was a brand new pair of Nikes inside. Astounded by the nice, pricey gift, he stared at her. “Now I know why I wanted to buy sneakers for you.” Sohee said, amused as she glanced at his bare feet.

“Why are you doing this?” Niel whispered.

“What do you mean?” She asked, befuddled. “Do you not like this gift? You can exchange it if you want-“

“Why are you being nice to me?” He asked louder. “No one…no one has ever looked out for me before. Then you came into my life and changed everything.” He looked away.

Sohee softened. *Poor Niel. He had no one to rely on.* “Of course people care for you, Niel. Your friends worry about you a lot. Especially Byunghun.” Sohee said. “And…I care a lot for you, too.” Niel stared at her with a swelling heart of love, appreciation, and gratitude.

Sohee checked the time. “It’s getting late. Eat your cupcake. I’ll drive you to one of your friend’s house.” She the engine. “I’m going back home.” Niel spoke. She stared at him in shock. “In this condition?! No way, Daniel! I’ll call Byunghun. He can help you-“

“My home is here. I don’t need to burden anyone else.” Niel said.

“Daniel…”

“Thanks for the cupcake and shoes, ssem.” Niel meant it. He got out of the car, and the rain poured over him again.

Sohee opened her window and called out, “If you need help, don’t hesitate to call me! Byunghun has my number! Be safe, Daniel!”

Niel paused and glanced sideways. Then he disappeared down the alley.

Sohee sighed and shut the window. “Happy birthday.” She muttered.

Niel walked down the passage and turned into the corner. He stayed still until he heard her drive away. Niel opened the shoe box and gazed at the brand new sneakers. He had always wanted new ones, but he could never afford one. His father would never splurge on him like that. Niel’s smile grew, and his heart grew lighter than before. *Out of all the nineteen birthdays in my life, this is the best one. Thank you, ssem.*

----

Sohee was traipsing towards class the following morning. She looked at the clear sky and absent-mindedly accepted the greetings of the Goryo students. *I wonder how Daniel managed last night. Hopefully his father didn’t continue to harass him. Will he come to school today?* She stopped in front of her homeroom and took a deep breath. With building hope, she opened the door and stepped inside. The boys were being rowdy and loud as usual. Sohee craned her neck to check for Niel. His desk was, to her dismay, empty. Her shoulders slumped, and parted a little.

*He didn’t come today. That means something happened. What if Daniel is in trouble? I knew I shouldn’t have let him go like that last night!*

The final bell rang, and the students rushed to their desks. “Ssem? Aren’t we starting class?” Dookyung asked.

“Huh? Oh…yes. We are.” Sohee nodded. Blankly, she made her way to the podium.

Sohee looked towards the back to make sure her eyes hadn’t played a mean trick on her. Niel’s desk was vacant. His friends looked puzzled also. L. Joe bit his lower lip in concern. Sohee wanted to run over to Niel’s residence to check on him right away, but she knew that was impossible. She still had twenty-seven students to account for. Her voice shook as she called the first name. She went down the list and called each name out loud. “Ahn Dookyung.” “Here!” He raised his arm. Sohee hesitated. She knew the next person wasn’t in class. She had checked twice already.

Sohee called his name anyways. “Ahn…” Sohee whispered, “Daniel-“

BAM! Everyone jumped as the door opened.

Sohee looked up, startled by the abrupt noise. Her eyes widened when she saw who was standing by the door frame. *

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter