Escape

Tears of a Phoenix

‘Don’t lie to me!’ you scream. ‘I don’t even remember having a brother!’ Daehyun looks up at you with pitiful eyes. ‘You… don’t?’ He slowly stands up and brushes the dried leaves and dirt from his knees. ‘Well… that’s all I can do for you. Good bye,’ he whispers and walks away with what seemed to be all the willpower he could muster.

You watch his back disappear into the darkness and listen until the crunching sounds of leaves fade away. You are alone.

You’re not sure of what to do. Maybe, you should find a way out. But as your mind wanders, your legs don’t move. They feel like two heavy blocks of lead, impossible to move.  You think that maybe it’s just because you’re in distress and your body isn’t functioning properly, but after a while, it feels as if the more you struggle, the heavier your legs become.

After what seems like hours of hard work, you give up and just stand there in the darkness. As fear creeps up on you, you use your final resort. ‘Help!’ you yell out, hoping someone would hear you. You want to yell out again but you feel like anymore would damage your pride.

Yes, even to your deathbed you must keep your head held high.

As you give up and stand in silence, you see a golden light moving towards you. It seems to be moving extremely fast, flying like a bullet in front of your eyes. Before you know it, the light is already hovering above your head; your eyes squinting at the sudden brightness.

When your eyes finally adjust, you blink and look up to see your golden phoenix staring at you. ‘What are you doing here?’ you say in surprise. The phoenix shakes its head and looks at the night sky which is slowly lighting up to day time. Something clicks in your mind as you take a guess: ‘We’re going to escape?’

The phoenix nods and flies down to your hands and peaks them lightly. Without even thinking twice, you hold onto the phoenix’s tiny leg. What if they break off or something? But with a small burst of fire, the phoenix flies upward. Your heavy legs suddenly feel like a feather and your whole body lightly rises into the air.

You feel an amazing rush of happiness as the phoenix soars over the forest, before landing in a deserted alleyway of a nearby town. After seeing that you were safe, it takes off without a sound. ‘Wait!’ you call out, but it doesn’t reply. All you can do is watch it fly away as drops of rain begin to fall.

From then on, you vowed to forget all the memories of the past, even if it hurt you. You swore to rebuild your broken life. Though you knew there were pieces missing, you would live without them. Maybe one day you would cross paths with them, and become friends. But until that day, you were putting your pieces of the puzzle together. 

The End

Have another adventure? 

Click here to go to the beginning. 

Click here to go to where the paths divide.