Wish Upon A Voice

Tears of a Phoenix

You know that it’s just a bluff. ‘Why would I need to?’ you reply to the voice. ‘You’re not going to be there.’ You try to push through the barrier with your fingertips, hoping that something would happen. But the only thing that changes is the phoenix’s attitude towards you.

It’s tiny, beady eyes narrowed in disgust at your futile attempts to break into its invisible cage. ‘I won’t work. It’s indestructible,’ whispers the chilling, calm voice. ‘Like I care, the phoenix is mine and I intend to take it back,’ you shout, clawing the air.

‘Why don’t you just turn around,’ the voice croons. ‘I don’t like it when I talk to someone’s back. Eye-contact is needed to have a good conversation.’ You’re slightly annoyed, but you continue to look for loopholes in the barrier.

After ten minutes of investigating every inch of the unknown force, you give up. You can hear the soft chuckles of the voice, humouring itself at your failure. ‘What must it take for you to calm down and turn around?’ the voice asks softly. ‘What if I told you I could grant you any wish?’

You freeze. Any wish? Thoughts of everything you ever wanted flood into your mind. ‘Just one wish?’ you ask. ‘Only one single wish?’ The voice laughs a bit more openly. ‘Only one. Anymore and I would turn into a fairy godmother.’

You think hard, straining your mind. What do you want? But only two things stood out. You either wanted to have Jongup dead, or to escape the forest with everyone. As you think, you see your phoenix’s eyes look at you sadly, sending a small wave of fire towards the barrier, making the flames the surface. You can feel the heat, but the flames don’t touch you.

Or you can set your phoenix free. Your phoenix is smart, maybe it could guide you to Jongup, and to the exit as well. ‘I think you’re forgetting something as you think about that wish you want fulfilled,’ the voice said, stopping your flow of thoughts. ‘You’re supposed to turn around if you want anything from me.’

‘What if I don’t want anything?’ you snap back, annoyed at the voice’s attitude. But only booming laughter follows your words. The voice was laughing loudly, the sound echoing in the darkness, and among the trees. ‘If you don’t want anything?’ the voice asked, still laughing. ‘Oh, you’re so funny! If you don’t want anything then don’t turn around, and it’s your loss. I’m letting you have a wish with the only thing I want in return is for your beautiful face to turn my way.’

Do you turn around and wish for something? Or do you walk away, leaving the wish, the phoenix and the voice alone?

Please click here and make a wish!

Or click here and walk away.