Daehyun

Tears of a Phoenix

 

After what seems forever, you stand up. Jongup’s blood soaks completely through your tracksuit pants and dampens your skin. No more tears could come out of your eyes; no words could express your emotions right now. ‘I could have at least known who had killed my friend,’ you whisper quietly to no one.

You turn back and walk away. Your legs wobble like a newborn calf, learning its first steps. It felt wrong to leave Jongup lying there on the leaves, but you had nothing to give up. The familiar rustle of the bushes makes you tense as you keep walking. Was the killer still there? Maybe you could run up and give that murderer a good old punch before they hurt you.

You take the courage that came out of nowhere and stride up to the bushes. You can spot a glint of silver somewhere but you can't see anything else to raise some awareness of what you could be encountering. The second you reach the bush, someone or something jumps out.

You turn around to see someone dressed in black, a gun barely hidden in the left pocket. You stare at it, you feel so certain that it was the weapon that killed Jongup. ‘Yeah, that’s right! I killed him. You got a problem?’ You flinch and look up. It was a young man. His blond hair sparkles in the sunlight; his arms are splattered with blood.

You open your mouth, about to ask for his name before he roughly says: ‘I’m Daehyun.’ You stare at him. This guy could read your mind? ‘Remember this name. We’ll be meeting again.’ And with the air of a ninja from a movie, he jumps and lands on the branch of a tree.

You’re frozen with shock. One second you’re walking down, curious about the rustling bushes, the next, a guy named Daehyun runs out and admits he’s the killer. As you stare at the branch that Daehyun had leapt on, you spot the glinting item again. As you realise what it is, you gasp, tears filling your eyes again.