Split Personality

Tears of a Phoenix

 

This clueless looking guy might know more than you think. You take his hand and shake it, smiling. ‘So,’ he begins. ‘We’re buddies, right? Buddies forever?’ You take one look at his sweet smile and nod your head without thinking.

The second you stopped nodding, Zelo slaps you across the face. ‘So, what are you standing there for?’ he growls. ‘Go fetch some water in the kettle.’ You are absolutely dumbfounded as you reach for the kettle and start walking to the pond’s edge. This boy, he had the most honey dripping smile in the world, now had a scowl tattooed onto his face and was ordering you around like a slave.

You fill the bucket up, and bring it back to Zelo, trying not to spill a single drop. ‘You’re late,’ he spits. ‘Well, sorry,’ you mutter, rolling your eyes. ‘You dare take that tone with me?’ he snaps. Silence fills the forest. You and Zelo glare at each other, you can feel the aura of angriness emit from him. ‘Go hunt,’ he says finally, throwing a gun at you. You keep glaring at him. ‘Now.’

You strut away from him happily, trying to annoy him as much as possible. But all your anger seems to run away from you as you run around, shooting rabbits and birds. As night fell once again, you bring back a whole bag full of animals, hoping and praying that this would satisfy Zelo.

As you present your catches to Zelo, you can see his eyebrows rise slightly. ‘Go roast them over the fire,’ he scowls. ‘I’m not eating them raw.’ How long was this guy going to live if you hadn’t been there for him?

You roughly shove him a bucketful of all the cooked rabbits and birds. He reaches in, down to the bottom where you hid the fattest rabbit. ‘You eat the rest,’ he says, pushing the bucket back. You don’t believe your ears. The guy who has bossed you around, ordered you like a slave and made you do his work, decides to be nice.

You gingerly take out a rabbit a bite into it, watching Zelo carefully. What if he was pulling a trick on you? To take up some time, you move towards the fire to put it out. ‘Don’t put out the fire,’ he says sharply. Why? Give him a questioning look, the fire reflected on your eyes make him flinch. ‘Those ashes,’ he says, pointing to your pockets. ‘Pour them in.’

‘Excuse me?’ you reply. According to Daehyun, this could be the recipe to revenge. ‘Pour the ashes in the fire,’ repeats Zelo. You take another bite out of your rabbit and stare at him, this time, with eyes full of fear. What is this guy plotting?

Click here for the next part.