My Fear

My Pet

 

                “Lulu, I want to go to the carnival they’re having in the park for our second date.”  Sehun said as soon as I entered our shared apartment.

                I really hated carnivals, they had rusty-looking rides and there were too many people.  It was on Sehun’s date list, though, so I couldn’t really go against him.  Who knows?  Maybe it would be fun with him.  The food isn’t that bad and maybe he has something else planned.

                When we got there, I automatically hated it.  I hated the dense population of noisy children and sweaty adults chasing them around.  I hated that all of the lines were long.  I wanted to go home and sleep.  As we got the tickets Sehun spoke first.

                “Ooo!  So many fun rides, which one is your favorite?!”

                None.

                “Oh um… the… that thing!”  I pointed at the Gravitron which was a UFO looking thing.

                I didn’t know what it did but it looked like some kind of room.  I decided that it couldn’t be as bad as the other rides.

                I was wrong.  As we went in, it was empty except there were these… things on the wall.  They were kind of soft and I guessed you were supposed to rest your back against it.  Sehun smiled and laced our fingers together.

                “It’s not scary.”  He said.

                It is scary.

                It spins.

                I feel sick.

                We were spinning at lethal speeds and I felt like my body was going to implode.  Those things we were leaning against started to roll up towards the ceiling and it scared the out of me.  I wanted to hold onto Sehun more but I couldn’t ing move.  It was a crazy- UFO, what kind of UFO spins?  Is this what aliens have to go through?  After the ride was over, I stumbled out feeling queasy.

                “Wasn’t that fun?!  I’m glad you chose it because now I’m pumped.  Let’s go on that one next.”  He pointed towards the one with the biggest line.

                The… Zipper?  Jesus Christ…

                It was this contraption that had these kidney shaped cages.  People were supposedly having fun in these cages?  It looked like it was going to break any second.  They were being flung around this zipper-shaped thing and those cages were flipping around like crazy.  My hands started to sweat so I detached my left one from Sehun’s and wiped it on my jeans.

                “Are you afraid?  Don’t be, I’m here.”  He murmured softly, reaching down to hold my hand again.

                It didn’t matter if he was there or not.

                It was crazy.

                When the man guided us to our cage, I was confused.  It had these seats but it was on an angle, as if you had to stand.  We ended up having to stand and I almost tripped out of it.  The guy then slammed the cage door closed with a frightening clunk and then locked it.  We were swaying back and forth and I already knew that this was going to be bad.  Sehun cuddled me close, wrapping an arm around my waist in the small space we had.  Soon, we started to move.  I thought I saw my life flash before my eyes as we sped up, zipping around the contraption over and over again.  We stopped abruptly and started flipping, my stomach dropping every time.  Were we in the air or on the ground?  I was too scared to open my eyes and find out. 

                “Lulu, are you not enjoying yourself?”  My boyfriend asked, rubbing my back.

                “I… hate… fast rides.”  I admitted slowly, trying to calm myself down.

                “I’m sorry, why didn’t you tell me?  Come on, I’ll take you to a better ride after we get down.”

                That better ride was a Ferris wheel.  I not only am afraid of heights but I could actually see the ground this time.  The Zipper had a cage that blocked my view so I wasn’t that worried but that Ferris wheel had small seats and shook a lot.  I didn’t say anything, though. 

                We sat down on the ride’s seat and it was a tight fit.  It was comforting to know that he was there, but I was really upset.  I wasn’t even in the air yet but just the thought of it made my stomach flip.  As we slowly made our way up, I started shaking violently.  We stopped at the top and we started to swing.  I let out a shrill yelp and clung onto my boyfriend for dear life.  A few tears squeezing their way out of my eyes in pure terror.

                “Luhan!  What’s wrong?”  He hugged me to his chest, my hair.

                “I-I’m scared of h-heights.”  My voice trembled and I started to hyperventilate as my eyes saw how high we were.  I was gripping his arms so hard that my knuckles were turning white.

                “This is my fault.  I should’ve known that this wouldn’t be any better.  Just close your eyes and imagine we’re at home, watching Love Rain.”

                “Love Rain?  What if I want to watch Boys Over Flowers?”  I giggled, trying really hard to visualize it.

                Sehun would be basically hugging the TV, screaming at someone for being “stupid” or something along those lines.  I would be trying to see but Sehun’s head would be blocking it so I just kicked him away or scolded him.  He would then apologize and go back to the couch and cuddle up to me. 

                I really missed the days when he was my pet.  I mean, he’s a great boyfriend and all but I feel like he’s starting to dominate me.  I’d rather be in charge because I’m older and more mature than him.  I want to comfort him for once.  I don’t want to be the scared one anymore.  I don’t want to be the depressed one or the sensitive one.  I want to be the man of the relationship like the way I was when I was his owner.

                The man in a man-man relationship?
               
The more I thought about it, the more absurd it sounded.  What would Sehun be if I were the man?  The woman?  When I married him, would he wear a wedding dress?  That’s stupid, I wondered if anyone actually did that.  I love him as a man, not as a woman.  I don’t think he looks pretty like a girl and I would never treat him as one.  None of us are the more feminine in the relationship and nobody is the tough manly man.  I just wanted to be more helpful to him, he doesn’t really have problems and if he does, he doesn’t come to me about it. 

                I was so engrossed in my random thoughts that I didn’t even notice that we were not only on the ground, but Sehun had been shaking me repeatedly.  Only then did I snap out of it.

                “What?  What?!”  I looked around and saw people staring at us, waiting to get on the ride.  “Oh, I’m sorry.”  I bowed and walked away, mortified.

                “I’m still sorry for making you go on that ride, Lulu.  I really didn’t know and-”

                “Shh, it’s okay.”  I hushed him with a finger to his lips.

                “You probably had a horrible time, didn’t you?”

                “I always have a great time when I’m with you.” 

                “Come on, I knew this might happen so I have a plan B.”  He took me to a field behind the carnival. 

                It was really dark there and it had a really good view of the moon and stars.  He laid down on his back and dragged me down with him.  He snuggled up to me, laying his head on my extended arm. 

                “Isn’t it beautiful?  I found out about this spot when I got lost one day.”   

                “Yeah, I can see Orion.”  I pointed to the constellation and he nodded.

                “That’s the only one that I can ever see.  It’s easy because there’s three stars lined up in a row.” 

                “Let’s see who can find one of the Dippers first.  Big or little.”

                There was a comfortable silence of us just studying the sky, searching for the constellations.  I gave up and picked at the grass.

                “I can’t find them.”  He yawned and hooked a leg around my waist.  “Hold me, I’m tired.”

                “Aren’t I already?”   I knew I wasn’t, he was just lying on my arm and spooning my side.

                “No, your other arm isn’t even around me.”  He grabbed my forearm and yanked it so that it was around his shoulders, too.

                “Sheesh, so clingy.”  I rested my chin on his head and I felt his warm breath on my clavicles.

                “I’m not clingy, I just love being close to you because it makes me feel fuzzy inside.  Junmyeon is clingy.” 

                “I know, I was kidding.  Your word choice is adorable, though.  Fuzzy inside?”

                “Aw man, I knew you were going to say something.”  He tried to wiggle out from my reach but I didn’t let him.

                “Where do you think you’re going?  I thought it was cute, is that bad?”

                “No, but… still…”  He sighed and I knew what he was going to say next.

                “You need to stop getting embarrassed, okay?  Do and say whatever you want, we’ve been living together for four months, almost five.  Why can’t you just let it go?”

                “Because, I don’t want you to think I’m weird and kick me out.” 

                He has abandonment issues, I get it.      

                “I won’t abandon you, okay?  I won’t be like your parents.  I won’t be like those people who used you then kicked you out.  I’ll take care of you and love you, okay?  You need to trust me.  You’ve helped me come out of my depression and anxiety so I’ll help you now.”

                “You were depressed?”

                “Why did you think I wanted you to be my pet?  I was lonely and I needed someone to make me feel better and I just happened to fall for him.”

                “Really?”

                “No, actually I first wanted you to be my pet so I could get over my guilt because I basically killed my other dog.”

                “Eh?  Right, the original Honey.  How did she die?  I’m not sure if you told me or not.”

                “I was walking her one day and the leash slipped out of my hand.  I heard a really loud yelp and when I found her, she was dead.”

                “I brought up a touchy subject, I’m sorry.”

                “No, I brought it up.  You were just curious.  It doesn’t matter because you’re my Honey now, even if you’re not my pet anymore.”

                “I miss it.  Maybe we should get a puppy in America.”

                “I miss it, too, you made such a good dog.  I really liked when you used to force yourself on me.  Even though I said I didn’t like it, I did.”

                “Oh, you like that, do you?”  He rolled over so that he was hovering over me.

                “Hey, what do you think you’re doing?”  I looked around frantically to see if anyone was there but was just met with the light from the carnival in the distance.

                “Forcing myself on you.  Love me Luhan, love me~” He pinned my hands down and kissed my face all over.

                “I already love you.  I don’t need you to force me.”

                “Oh Luhan, you’re moving so fast, we’ve only been going out for two days.”  He got out between kisses.

                “Oh shut up.  Agh, don’t kiss my ear.  You’re the one moving fast here.”

                “Sorry, I can’t really see in the dark.  I’m not a cat.”  He planted another kiss on my nose.

                “Okay, I get it.  You can stop now.”  I shoved him onto the ground and now I was on top.

                Even then he was still trying to continue.  I pushed his face down.

                “Wah, Lulu~ I was having fun!  I like kissing you.  Your skin is so soft and it smells nice.  Do you use lotion?”

                “Yeah I do, actually.  Let’s go home now and I’ll show you it.”

                “Okay!  Wee, I liked this part of the date better than the other one.  There were too many people around and being alone with you is a billion times better.”  He reached up to brush the bangs out of my eyes.  “You look y with your hair pushed back.”

                “Are you quoting American movies now?  I guess it’s getting pretty close to April, isn’t it?  We should take English lessons.” I suggested, standing up and sweeping the grass and dirt off of my pants.

                Sehun was so excited about the lotion that he literally flew to the room.  He was bouncing up and down the whole time as I dug through the cabinet.           

                 “Oh, you use cherry blossom scented lotion.”  He started coating his face and body with the lotion.  “It smells just like you.”

                “Don’t use it all!  I need it!”  I snatched it from him and put it back.

                “Okay, okay.”  He frowned, pinkish-white globs of it all over his face.

                I took some of it and wiped it on myself.

                “Do you have our date planned for tomorrow?”

                “Yep!  I have all of our dates lined up along with plan B’s and some even have plan C’s.” 

                Already?  Jeez he’s fast.

                “And they’re all different?” 

                “Yeah of course!”  I was stunned.

                That’s over twenty different dates. 

                “You must have a lot of time on your hands.”

                “Well yeah, I think about it during dancing lessons.”

                “Oh, speaking of lessons, remind me to sign us up for English classes.”

                “Of course.” 

                The next morning, I woke up to Sehun talking on the phone.

                “Mm, okay!  Thank you so much, bye!”  He hung up but froze when he saw me.

                “Who was that?”

-----

Author’s Note:

I wonder, who was that?  So date number two is down, down, down (alright yeah that was a Hoot reference).  Luhan has a fear of heights.  L Good thing Sehun is some kind of genius who makes plan B’s and C’s just in case.  Ah!  I keep getting sidetracked and I said I’d do a triple update today.  I have six minutes until it’s tomorrow.  >,< Okay I’m wrapping this Author’s Note up.  Good night my lovely readers er… wait a lot of you guys don’t have the same timezone.  Good morning, good afternoon and good evening to my international readers.  But to my fellow East Coasters, good night!  There, that’s better.   Love yaaaa~