The Abandoned Puppy

My Pet

 

It’s been a whole year since I was hired and I was now twenty-three.  As usual, people were scared of me ever since the first day.  Even my boss, Junmyeon was scared of me. 

“L-Luhan?”  I tore myself from the article I was currently writing to face him and he shrunk back a bit.

“Yes, sir?”  I asked, watching him getting more and more uncomfortable under my gaze. 

“B-Baekhyun called in sick, so can you stay overtime and edit the article yourself?  Just fax it over when you’re done, I trust your abilities.” 

I just shrugged.

“Oh thank you Luhan!  I’ll be sure to pay you for the overtime.” 

I nodded and watched as he let out a sigh of relief and smiled to himself as he walked away.  It was as if talking to me was some kind of fear he just conquered. 

The sad thing is, it’s probably the truth.

 Baekhyun is my editor and probably the only person who is oblivious to the "coldness" that apparently radiates off of my body.  He was chosen because of just that.  I thought he was annoying at first, but more tolerable than some chick drooling all over my face.  My female co-workers are scared of me anyway after I turned them all down with my signature glare.  I also told some off if they didn’t get it through their thick skulls the first time.  The male co-workers I had, with the exception of Baekhyun, were jealous of my popularity with the girls so they just started hating me off the bat.  It was okay, though, because I didn’t require any friends except Minseok.

And Honey.

I shook my head as soon as that thought popped into my mind.  She was gone, I couldn’t keep on dwelling on the past, but it was so hard to forget.  I groaned inwardly in frustration before getting back to work.  I was typing an article about some baseball athlete’s ankle injury. 

Ugh, what’s the Korean word for ligament?

I tapped my finger to my lips and sighed.  I took out my Chinese to Korean dictionary and flipped through the pages quickly. 

I need to start interacting with more Koreans or else I’ll forget the language completely.

I sipped my taro-flavored bubble tea and stretched in my chair.  I was finally done editing after reading the article about twenty times, perfecting it.  I faxed it to my boss and checked my watch.  It’s one o’clock in the morning.  I shot up in my seat, realizing that meant I was going to get only four hours of sleep at most.  I had a press conference tomorrow with a soccer player and needed to go to work early to prepare my questions. 

I locked up since I was the last one in there.  It was raining hard and I rolled my eyes at my luck.  It was pretty cold for a fall night and I regretted not bringing a coat.  I shivered a bit as I headed to my apartment.  I started to break into a run because I realized that I was going to catch a cold if I didn’t hurry the hell up.  I ended up tripping on something jutting out from the side of the building and I skidded about a foot on my hands and knees, cursing loudly.

I looked at my bloody hands and ripped pants.  My brand new pants.  My expensive, brand-new pants.  I turned my head to look at the thing I tripped over.  It was a plastic bag that someone left out and I swore I would find that person and kill them.  I crawled over to take the evidence, leaving red handprints on the sidewalk.  My hands and knees ing burnt so I sat on my .  As soon as I touched the bag, I froze.  It was warm and soft.

Holy , is a dead body in there?

I peered into the opening and saw wet strands of hair sticking out of it.  Peeling back the plastic, I saw that it was, indeed, a human.  It was a boy, who was alive judging by the shallow breaths and random spasms that shook his body.  He was shivering more than I was and I knew that I should probably get him warmed up before he got hypothermia.  I freed him from the useless sack and cradled him like he was a fragile newborn.  He reminded me of an abandoned puppy when I first glanced at his pale-face.  He was pretty frail and thin too by the look of it.  I glanced at his hair which was clinging to his face.

He looks like Honey when I first met her. 

I bit my lip at the sudden memory.  This boy reminded me so much of her.  I believe I found her during a rainy day, too, hiding in a soggy box.  Her big brown eyes were begging me to take her in.  I decided to take the boy in, too, just until he was healthy again.  He was pretty young looking, probably not even in his twenties. 

I basically kicked open the door in haste, trying to get him warmed up as quickly as possible.  I stripped off his clothes one by one and put him in my clothes for the time being.  It was a little tight on him but I didn’t want him wearing wet clothes.  I laid him down on the couch with extra care.  Then, I gently dried his hair with a towel.  After he was dried, I wrapped him tightly in all the blankets I owned.  I figured he’d be hungry when he woke up and made him some ramyun.  I put saran wrap over it and left him a note telling him to heat it up when he regained consciousness. 

Or woke up, I’m not really sure if he’s sleeping or unconscious.

I bent down and studied his sleeping face, trying to memorize it so I didn’t get freaked out if he was in my house when I woke up.  I checked the clock and it was two thirty.

ing fantastic.  I thought as I dove into my coverless bed and forced myself to fall asleep.

-----

Author’s Note:

Sehun has made an appearance!  What will happen when he wakes up?  I guess you’ll find out next chapter.  Thank you for reading, love you!