Prologue

My Pet

 

Prologue

“Honey!  Come here, girl!”  I called to my dog. 

I got her leash as she bounded over ungracefully, her tongue lolling out of .  She hopped on top of me and began to lap at my face.  I laughed and I pushed her away and kissed her forehead.  She sat in front of me as I clipped it on and I opened the door.  It was a nice day for a walk, not too hot, but not too cold.  It was summer vacation during my senior year in high school and I was looking forward to another good semester, just me and Honey.  I didn’t need friends as long as I had her.  She was my best friend.  While I did have one good friend, Minseok, he was always too busy with his boyfriend Jongdae for me.  Last year my family decided to move to Korea because I’ve always had a fascination with the country.  The language, culture and music, it just pulled me in.  Okay, we didn’t just move because I wanted to, my dad’s company merged with a Korean one so he had to transfer.  I only made friends with Minseok since I was a total introvert.  I sat in the back corner of the class, my head buried in my notes so that nobody would annoy me.  One day, Minseok and I were paired together and grew fond of each other, I guess. 

In any case, I still loved Honey more than anything.  I smiled at her as I saw her sniffing at a tree.  Her brown pelt shimmered in the sun.  I was never told what kind of dog she was.  I was just told that she was a mutt by the vet.  I called her Honey because it just seemed to suit her sweet personality, but I decided it would sound better in English.  I was abruptly snapped out of my thoughts by the yanking of the leash from my hand.  It turns out that a stupid bird decided to fly out and Honey hated birds.  She chased the stupid animal, barking loudly.

!  I should’ve been paying attention.

I ran after her but I quickly lost sight of the dog, only hearing her growls and barks.  That is, until I heard a car screech and then a blood-curdling yelp. 

No… it couldn’t be. 

It was a lie right?

“I’m not lying.”  The vet deadpanned, staring blankly into my tear-streaked face. 

I thought back to the disgusting scene that just recently occurred.  Honey was thrown to the side of the road like a ragdoll.  The car that hit her was nowhere to be seen.  It must’ve driven off.  I gawked at the crimson liquid flowing out of her.  I wanted to throw up.  I wanted to wake up from this dream.

I did wake up, cold sweat saturating my pajamas. 

It was a dream.

It was a dream, yes, but it still happened.  It was just reminding me of how bad of an owner I was and still am.   I, Luhan, was now a senior in college, but I still couldn’t stop having nightmares about that fateful day.  The day the old Luhan died.  People thought I was bitter before, but I was ten times worse afterwards.  Minseok somehow looked past that and stuck with me the rest of high school.  After the graduation ceremony, he proposed to Jongdae, who was two years younger than us and by our sophomore year of college, they were “married” because by then, Jongdae was legal.  I mean, they couldn’t really be married, but they said they didn’t need some stupid paper to make it official.   

Also, I ended up hating women entirely about halfway through my junior year in college.  Even as a child, I’ve always hated how girls had this image that boys were supposed to be tall, strong and act like their slave.  I was in a pretty serious relationship with this female and in short, I walked in on her cheating on me with some buff looking guy.  I then found out two weeks later that she was pregnant with said person’s child.  We only had once and she cheated on me.  I lost my ity to some and it bugged me to no end.  Apparently women like her didn’t like guys like me because I was apparently “prettier than a girl” and “not extremely muscular” and my favorite, “not passionate enough”.  So after crying my eyes out for the first time since the Honey incident, I gave up on dating.  I decided to put all of my energy into my studies, my internship and getting a job at where I was interning at.

I was majoring in journalism and was currently interning at this sport’s magazine company.  They really like me because I am bilingual and have a real talent in writing and interviewing.  It’s weird that I’m good in interviewing but I really like sports (soccer in particular) so I put my hatred of humans behind me.  They also say I have a cute face so I’ll have no problem getting information from either gender.  I’m probably going to get a job offer from them as soon as I graduate, which is next month.

Sure enough, two months later, I was starting my first day as a journalist. 

  ------

Author’s Note: Okay, well this just the prologue to get to know Luhan, the Hunhan meeting will be next chapter!  I'm sorry if it was a bit boring. >.< It'll get better, I promise!  I love you guys!  I should be updating the next chapter shortly.