Nine

Inappropriate Winking
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Winter hit the school hard, and it seemed that in the span of just a week, the weather went from warm jackets to thick gloves and fluffy coats.

The week before winter break was a flurry of activities and everyone packed and made last minute plans before leaving campus for a 10 day vacation. Yixing only noticed that Kris had not packed two days before break, when he was frantically looking for the present that he had purchased for his neighbor.

“Are you not taking anything home?” Yixing asked, emptying his desk drawer on the carpet. It made sense, he thought. Kris probably had multiple wardrobes of clothes.

“I don’t have anywhere to go,” Kris replied from where he was perched at the top of the stairs, surveying Yixing’s mess.

“What do you mean? It’s Christmas and New Years!”

“My parents are somewhere in the Caribbean right now,” Kris said. “I have my own apartment but I don’t want to be all alone for the holidays, so I guess I’m saying on campus. Even my manager is going home to visit his family.”     

Oh. Well. That was considerably sadder.

“Do you want to come home with me?” The words had escaped Yixing’s mouth before he could even think about it.

“Really?” Kris asked, touched.

“Sure,” Yixing replied. “Nobody should be alone for the holidays.”

At that moment, the door burst open, and Kai catapulted himself in with Lu Han trailing calmly at his heels.

“Guys, I’ve got news,” he announced, excitedly.

“Just tell them already,” Lu Han muttered, rolling his eyes with a big grin on his face.

“Well,” Kai continued, “I know my birthday isn’t until January 14, but my parents just rented out the presidential suite at the Venetian Macao for me as my early birthday present. You guys are all invited to spend New Year’s there.”

“Jesus, what do your parents do?” Kris asked, impressed.

“Kai's grandfather owned oil rigs years ago,” Yixing explained. “Now, his parents own an IT security firm.”

“Anyway, I’ve gotta tell the others.” Kai was already halfway out of the door at this point, dragging poor Lu Han with him. “I’ll send you details later, okay?”

There was only silence as the door slammed shut after the twin tornadoes.

“Well,” Yixing said, finally breaking the silence. “I guess we’ll head to Changsha for Christmas, then to Macao for New Years, then.”

“Wait, wait - Xing, what do your parents do?” Kris asked.

“Humm?”

“I just realized that this is still a private school. I mean…tuition is not a joke, is it?”

“No, it’s definitely not,” Yixing chuckled. “My family is probably the most modest of everyone’s. My dad is a pretty famous surgeon, so that’s where we get our money. Chen’s dad is an influential politician, and Lu Han’s family owns one of the biggest law firms in Beijing. Xiumin’s family own restaurants, Tao’s mom is a designer, and Sehun…I think Sehun said his dad produces music videos.”
                          
“What about Suho?” Kris asked.

“Suho’s parents are divorced, and he lives with his mother here in China, but his dad pays for his schooling. He’s a famous economics professor at Columbia University.”

“Wow,” Kris replied, letting out a low whistle.

“Did the almighty Kris think he was going to school with mere peasants this whole time?” Yixing scoffed. “Puh-lease, diva. You’re rubbing elbows with future world leaders in almost every field.”

“Wow.”


The flight to Changsha was relatively painless, mostly because both boys were exhausted from last minute packing and were asleep for most of the time. Even the cab ride from the airport was almost silent, as Kris struggled to wake up and Yixing blinked sleep from his eyes.   

It wasn’t until the cab pulled into the circular driveway to the tall, luxurious apartment complex that both finally showed signs of life. The Zhangs’ place of residence was the perfect example of Chinese wealth. The apartment complex was gated, and surrounded by an immaculate garden, despite being in the middle of a large city. Fluorescent lights lit up the walkways, and the building itself was lit beautifully. A doorman greeted them upon arrival, and hurried to unload their bags from the car.

“Welcome back, Mr. Zhang,” the man said, tipping his hat at Yixing as the elevators doors closed and started to ascend up.

The doors opened again at the top

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter