Chapter 5 - Media Massacre

Monkey Love Fishy

 

E POV

            I HAD TO GET OUT OF THERE. When I stepped out into the cold fresh air, I didn’t know where to go. I didn’t want to go back to the dorm so I just kept walking, letting my feet take me to wherever. I kept walking until I reached the edge of Seoul, and stood in front of the Han River. I remembered when I first came here with Donghae, when we had to run errands for SM. This was when I really got to know him. It was that picnic that made me fall in love.

            It was a bad time for me. My father had his illness and SM training was really hard for me. I found out that I might not be part of the experimental group Super Junior’05. My life was falling apart. Donghae blindfolded me and made me get on the train with him to a mysterious place. When he let me go, we were at the edge of the Han River. We were overlooking it, sitting on an open grass field. He brought a picnic basket, and we spent the entire day talking and laughing. He was in pain as well, his father was also ill. It was the way he cared and went out of his way to cheer me up that made me fall for Lee Donghae.

            I don’t know why my heart led me here. It’s so complicated loving him. It’s so obvious that he likes Jessica, and would never want to be with anyone else. But, why do I have to get so upset? Maybe I should move on. I don’t have a problem with liking girls. In fact, Donghae’s the only guy I’ve ever loved. Every other guy holds no attraction for me. I stayed there, staring at the river for hours until night fell. Once or twice, I thought I saw Kangin-hyung but it turned out to be nothing. When at last my watch beeped midnight, I headed home.

            When I walked into the dorm, everything was dark and the only sounds were the fridge and Kangin-hyung’s snores. I tiptoed to the couch and flung myself on top of it, shoes on and all. “Oww,” I heard a muffled moan of pain.

            I jumped up and saw that I landed on none other than Donghae. He opened his eyes to stare at me. “Hyukkie,” he whispered, his hand reaching for mine. I backed up quickly and walked into my room without a word.

            The next day, I woke up and saw Heechul-hyung pointing at the newspapers. When I leaned over to see it, Leeteuk-hyung grabbed it away and put it behind his back. “Eunhyuk!”

“LEE EUNHYUK! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN??” Heechul-hyung barked, looking like the mafia boss as he glared at me from his seat. “YA! HYUKKIE!!” Sungmin ran and held me in an airtight grip.

I smiled at the adorable aegyo prince before turning to Leeteuk. “Hyung, I want to see the papers.” Leeteuk shook his head. Heechul stalked up to me and clapped me across the ears.

“Hyung…”

            “LEE HYUK JAE YOU BABO. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW HARD WE WERE LOOKING FOR YOU YESTERDAY? YA~ I WANT TO THROW YOU INTO A GARBAGE CAN RIGHT NOW. SO IRRESPONSIBLE OF YOU. HOW COULD YOU GO OUT ON YOUR OWN WITHOUT TELLING ANYONE? AND YOUR PHONE! AND YOU MISSED OUR PERFORMANCE. ARE YOU TRYING TO WIN IDIOT OF THE YEAR AWARD? CAUSE YOU GOT IT!” he stepped forward, his hands trembling violently.

            I backed away and Sungmin jumped in front of me. “Hyung,” he pleaded. “Let him explain. Please, araso?”

I looked at the furious Heechul. “Hyung, you don’t understand. I won’t explain where I was, but I am sorry. Mianhe. I know I shouldn’t have turned off my phone, but please forgive me. As for the performance, I genuinely forgot. My mind wasn’t thinking straight and I was all over the place.” I bowed slightly and walked out the door, pushing past Donghae.

            “YOU! Get back here!” he screamed after me. But Leeteuk- hyung shushed him.

D POV

            I walked into the kitchen to see Heechul-hyung being restrained by Leeteuk-hyung and Sungmin. He was yelling at Eunhyuk. “LEE HYUK JAE YOU BABO. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW HARD WE WERE LOOKING FOR YOU YESTERDAY? YA~ I WANT TO THROW YOU INTO A GARBAGE CAN RIGHT NOW. SO IRRESPONSIBLE OF YOU. HOW COULD YOU GO OUT ON YOUR OWN WITHOUT TELLING ANYONE? AND YOUR PHONE! AND YOU MISSED OUR PERFORMANCE. ARE YOU TRYING TO WIN IDIOT OF THE YEAR AWARD? CAUSE YOU GOT IT!”

            I heard Sungmin plead with him, and then Eunhyuk replied in a soft but firm voice. “Hyung, you don’t understand. I won’t explain where I was, but I am sorry. Mianhe. I know I shouldn’t have turned off my phone, but please forgive me. As for the performance, I genuinely forgot. My mind wasn’t thinking straight and I was all over the place.”

            He turned and his eyes landed on me briefly. His expression went cold and he pushed past me, careful not to touch me, and walked out the door. Sungmin was crying softly.

            “What happened to him? Hyuk’s not like this,” he was mumbling. Leeteuk-hyung shushed him and patted his back soothingly. He glanced over Sungmin’s shoulder at me and motioned me forward. “Take care of Sungmin-ah. I’m going to go talk to Hyuk Jae.”

E POV

 

            I stormed out of the house and tried to control my tears. Despite the fact that Leeteuk-hyung hid the papers, I saw the headlines anyway. So it was true. I was glad I left them alone that day.

“Eunhyuk-shi!” I turned around and saw Leeteuk-hyung running down the steps towards me. I faced back and continued to walk. “Ya~ stop making an old man run.” I stopped.

            “Eunhyuk, I think this is about Donghae. I think Eunhae is real. I think you like Donghae. And I think you should tell him,” Leeteuk-hyung told me. I stood still and was too ashamed to face him.

            “Hyung, I don’t know how you know, but I’m not going to tell him. He likes Jessica Jung. Look at the newspapers,” I pointed to the headlines of a newspaper in the trash. “HAESICA IS SPOTTED IN SEOUL.” It blared out at me.

            Our leader looked at it. “Eunhyuk, if you don’t tell him, at least try to keep your emotions in, araso? I don’t want this to hurt our band. We’re all in this together and when you feel you want to tell him, go ahead. We’ll all support you then.” The ever understand hyung put his arm around my shoulders and led me home.

D POV

            Later on, I locked myself into my room and listened to my iPod. I blared SHINee’s Lucifer as loud as I could. It took a while before I realized there was a knock at my door. I sighed heavily and rolled out of bed to reveal Yoona.

            “Yoona? What are you doing here?” I asked, genuinely surprised.

            “Oppa, I’m here because of Eunhyuk-oppa. I just saw him storm out of the dorm. Look, remember when you told me you had feelings for him? I think oppa might like you back, and it’s hurting him to see you with Sica-unni. I think only you can talk to him right now. It all makes sense!”

            I stood back, shocked. Was what she said true? It certainly made sense. All of a sudden, my heart lightened and I felt all my dreams come true. I began to laugh and Yoona laughed along with me. “Oppa, I know you’re really happy right now. But Eunhyuk-oppa still doesn’t know. You should tell him.”

            I nodded and walked out the door, determined to make things right with my Monkey boy.