Stay Away from that Boy!

Why Don't You Just Jump?

 

I wanted to hang around my window on Sunday afternoon but I didn’t want to seem desperate if JunHong happened to spot me. My mom saw me aimlessly wondering around the house looking lost in thought.

“Thinking about whatever you dropped last night?”

My eyes widened. “What do you mean?”

She smirked. “I wasn’t born yesterday. I saw you talking to that boy…in your pajamas. What was so urgent?”

I tried not to blush and failed miserably. “Nothing…I was just sitting in the window seat and he showed up…”

“Mmhmm…”

“I was just welcoming him to the neighbourhood!”

“Oh! Is he the new neighbours’ son? I’m making something to take to them.”

“Really?” I squealed.

My mother raised her eyebrows and I tried to act normal. “I mean…let me know when you’re going over.” I smiled briefly and hustled upstairs to find something to wear. I decided on a cute sundress with matching flats. I combed my strawberry blond hair to fall gracefully onto my shoulders and jogged back downstairs. My mom looked around when she heard me arrive.

“Well don’t you look sweet for your little nighttime friend?”

“Mom, please!”

She snickered. “Go get your father and brother. I’m finished with the sweets.”

“But I just came down –”

“Get them!”

I huffed and went to the base of the stairs. “DAD! JONGUP!” I screamed. “WE’RE READY!”

Mom rolled her eyes. Soon we were all dressed casually but presentably and making the short walk to JunHong’s house. Dad rang the doorbell. A pretty woman opened the door and looked surprised to see a family on her doorstep.

“Hello!” My mom said brightly, “We’re the Lees, your neighbours. We brought some sweets to welcome you to the neighbourhood.”

“Oh, thank you!” The woman smiled graciously. “Why don’t you all come in and have some tea?”

My heart skipped. Yay~ I might see JunHong!

“JunHong!” she called as we walked inside. “We have visitors!”

“Visitors?” I heard JunHong’s voice shout back from somewhere nearby, “But we don’t know anyone here…”

She tsked. “Yah! Choi JunHong! Come and meet the neighbours!”

We heard footsteps and JunHong came through a doorway. His eyes immediately fell on me and he grinned. Everyone’s heads turned to the two of us.

“Saya!” JunHong greeted. “It’s nice to see you in the daylight.”

My eye twitched and JunHong seemed to realize he shouldn’t have said that. He laughed awkwardly and silence descended on the room.

“So…tea?” JunHong’s mom said meekly.

Everyone agreed and we headed to the kitchen and sat at a round table while JunHong’s mom prepared the tea and told us more about herself and her son.

“JunHong and I moved here from the country so that we could be closer to facilities we need. Better jobs, better schools, you know? It’s a big change but it’s definitely for the better.” JunHong helped her serve the tea and we all sat down. JunHong gazed at me and I lowered my eyes to my tea. Out of the corner of my eye I saw JongUp eyeing JunHong suspiciously. My parents and Ms. Choi started to talk about the pros and cons of city life while JongUp, JunHong and I sat in awkward silence. JunHong wouldn’t stop looking at me so now JongUp was glaring at him. I nudged him gently with my elbow.

“Chill out,” I muttered when JunHong got up to refill the teacups.

Chill out? He’s openly staring at you like he has a thing for you. What is your oppa supposed to do?”

JongUp wasn’t normally like this. He was easy-going, always cheerful and sometimes mischievous but he was always a joy to be around. It was weird to see a crease between his eyebrows as he stared down JunHong. “And what did he mean about seeing you in the daylight?”

It was my turn to do the awkward laugh. “Beats me!”

JunHong returned and we zipped our lips.

“JongUp-ssi,” JunHong started, “What do you do for fun around here?”

JongUp narrowed his eyes. “Go to the movies, youth dance clubs, the mall, mostly with Saya.”

That was true. JongUp and I hung out a lot. If he wasn’t with his friends he with me, keeping my company since I didn’t have any friends of my own.

JunHong nodded. “Maybe we could all hang out sometime?”

JongUp looked JunHong up and down. “Sure,” he muttered and looked away.

“And how have you been, Saya? Did you sleep well?” JongUp’s head snapped back to us. I cleared my throat.

“I’ve been good, thanks and yes I slept well.”

Just as JongUp opened his mouth my dad announced that we were leaving so we didn’t overstay our welcome. I breathed a sigh of relief to be escaping the awkwardness my brother was causing. We got up from the kitchen table and went into the entryway. As my family and Ms. Choi arranged plans for dinner sometime JunHong pulled me aside.

“Does your brother think I’m a bad guy or something?”

“I really don’t know. He’s not normally like that. ..”

“We barely got to talk.” He pouted then suddenly fished out his phone. “What’s your number?”

I felt JongUp’s strong hand on my shoulder. “Time to go, Saya.”

I smiled apologetically to JunHong. “Annyeong!”

He waved and I left with my family. As soon as we got back to the house and my parents were out of the entryway I turned to JongUp.

“What is wrong with you?”

“Excuse me?”

“You totally freaked out JunHong!”

“And so what?”

“Do you want me to tell mom and dad how rude you were being to our new neighbour?

“And should I tell them he was looking at you like you were something delicious to eat?”

“He was not! You’re overreacting!”

“What’s going on here?” My dad asked, walking into to the room.

I knew he wouldn’t be too thrilled if he believed JongUp which was definitely a possibility. JongUp seemed to also be weighing the possibilities in his head.

“Nothing,” we both said at the same time. Dad looked at both of us suspiciously.

I hurried out of the entryway and JongUp followed closely behind me.

“Go away!” I hissed.

“Stay away from that boy.”

“Oppa! You’re being unreasonable!”

JongUp shrugged and walked off. I pounded up the stairs to my room and shut the door. I changed into some more comfortable clothes. I didn’t want to be in a fight with JongUp so I tried to see things from his point of view. I was his baby sister. I had only had one failed relationship and we both knew there were never any guys that really caught my attention after that. I supposed he was a little scared and…maybe even a little jealous that another guy was taking my attention? But he was still being stupid to forbid me from seeing JunHong. I guessed that was what angry JongUp was like.