Elevator

Epidemic Heartbreak

I stepped out from the elevator after a long long ride, nodded at the security guard opening the door for me, and squinted my eyes to adjust to the dazzling bright light of the sun. I haven't seen the sky for a while. The feeling was a little weird, but the warmth and cosiness overwhelmed me, until the sound of cars hooting woke me up, reminding me about the reason why I was here. Without much hesitation, I joined the crowds wandering on the streets in Seoul and stayed uncomfortably alert. I forgot the feeling of being included in the society, I forgot how to deal with people; I forgot everything about living above the ground. My right hand searched my pockets and drew out a smart phone so that I could reconfirme myself the address of the place I'm heading to.

“In order to collect more information on ways of breaking people’s hearts, we require more research” Professor Bang Yongguk said.

“But we’ll need more resources. And it is risky to let our agents leave the headquarters. We don’t have much backup out there…” Another professor said.

“That’s true. Himchan-ssi, any ideas?” Professor Bang sighed.

“Well, I have this young fellow in my team. He’s been training for a while, I think he handle it. Can you? Daehyun-gun?” My team leader Professor Kim turned his chair 180 degrees, looking at me through his vertex-like, deep, black eyes, and asked.

“It’s my honour.” I nodded calmly. Professor Bang broke his stone-face with a smile, “You’ll do fine. Good luck, Daehyun-gun.”

“It’s time for you to shine.” My team leader gave me an encouraging pat on my right shoulder, “When you’re back, a promotion will be promised.”

My name is Jung Daehyun. I was scouted to be a secret agent when I was a second year Psychology student in Kyunghee University. The reason behind wasn’t made clear to me at first, but I agreed to join as I wanted to help out my family that was financially unstable. As a result, I am working for an underground biotechnology organization AMORE, which researches about a virus that can trigger heartbreak and mental breakdown, so that they might be able to takeover the world, perhaps? Since that day, I was put into some sort of training sessions took place in their underground headquarter. When I say underground, I meant literally underground. There, I was trained to be a researcher. My job is to collect information about things that trigger people’s emotions.

They paid me well so I didn’t mind being treated like some kind of robot. Despite that, being underground made me nauseous, as there wasn’t fresh air. All I could smell there was the heavy scent disinfectant, metal and whatever chemicals they used in the laboratory. The place was artificial, emotionless and quiet – except for the rhythmic sound of women walking loudly on heels and the humming of machines working 24/7. I hated it. But working there could help my family out… and that reason was good enough for me to clench my fists and keep going.

I continued walking towards my destination – an apartment prepared for me for this mission, which wasn’t far. I took a deep breath. The ability of breathing natural air – although polluted – touched me. The warmth of the sun surrounded me like a mother’s embrace. For once in a while, I felt alive; instead of existing under the control of stone-faced scientists and agents I met underground.

I reached the building where my apartment was located. Like a normal person, I pressed the button and waited for an elevator. An elevator arrived and I walked inside. Before the door closed, I heard somebody yelling, “Wait, wait, WAIT!” With quick reflex, I immediately pressed a button to open the door, and a boy carrying an abnormally large suitcase entered the elevator. He glanced at the buttons on the side of the lift, lifted a finger, hesitated, and then withdrew.

“Oh, we’re neighbours! Nice to meet you! How long have you been living here?” the boy, about my age, asked enthusiastically with a smile. His cheeks were slightly coloured due to the sprint towards the lift as well as embarrassment of his clumsiness. I tried to smile naturally, like how the trainers taught me. Basic skills are useful after all.

“In fact, I just moved here today. I… haven’t even entered the house.” I said. It was my turn to be embarrassed, because I knew I sounded ridiculous.

“But your stuff… Wh-”

“Someone moved them for me.” I cut him off. I was happy that I wasn’t lying. People did prepare me everything I need.

“Alright then! By the way, Moon Jongup.” He held out a hand, giggling.

“Jung Daehyun.” I shook his hand with a smile. Socializing felt good. I felt like being myself again. I feel human-like.

“You live alone?” I nodded. “Same. So… would you like to come over for a party? You know… Housewarming party? If I manage to clean up the chaos before 6pm, though, haha.”

“Why not?” I smiled. Genuinely. It always feels good to be invited and welcomed.

The elevator stopped and the door opened. We arrived at our level that has two apartments on the left and right side respectively. I wondered how a boy like him could afford such a luxurious place. We turned to opposite direction and went into our own apartments. Jongup struggled to drag his suitcase inside and I giggled. Realizing my stare, he embarrassedly claimed that he could do it himself, and told me that we’ll meet at his apartment at 6:30pm, which was four hours later. ‘It should be enough time for him to clean everything up’ I chuckled again and closed the door.

As soon as I entered the place, I inhaled sharply, stunned. My prediction was correct: it was indeed a very large apartment. For a second, I wished my family were with me to enjoy all these. A spacious living room with a big and some small couches and a new model television; an open kitchen with all the utensils they have in five-stars restaurants, as well as a bar table. There are two bedrooms: a huge, luxurious one with an individual bathroom, and another one I supposed was a guest room. I also had a working room with a computer, and wide desk, some bookshelves, stationary… things you would normally see in a room for this purpose. After checking out the apartment, I got changed into a hoodie and a pair of sweatpants, when I received a text message from my team leader Kim Himchan.

I hope you’re enjoying your first day up there! Don’t forget to work! The guidelines and checklists are in the first drawer underneath your desk. Now, go clubbing or do some socializing okay? You have to make friends so that you have hearts to break, as ridiculous as it sounds, lol. – Kim Himchan

I smiled before putting down my phone on the coffee table in front of the big couch, and walked towards the fridge as my empty stomach growled mercilessly. ‘How about a beer?’ I said to myself after opening the door, and grabbed a silvery can from the fridge. I opened the can, letting the compressed gas escape its container before filling my mouth with the chilled liquid. I swallowed everything and felt a cold wave hitting every nerve of my body. The bitter flavour of hops filled my mouth and I loved the feeling. I let out a satisfied sigh and sat down on a couch, using my free hand to switch on the TV with the remote control lying on the coffee table. There were some politics analysing programs on air and they didn’t interest me much, so I decided to prepare something for the housewarming party. ‘What about some food?’ I smiled, realizing how much I missed real food.

I put down my half finished beer onto the coffee table and casually walked back into the kitchen. Randomly, I took things in and out from the fridge and freezer. After agonizing for a minute (with my head in the freezer enjoying the breeze it gave off), I gave up. Backing off from the fridge, my eyes sparkled when I saw a box of chocolate cake mix on the counter. ‘Perfect! Not as good as home-made cheesecake but better than nothing.’ (A/N: We all know Daehyun LOVES cheesecakes) Skilfully, I mixed everything in a large bowl and within half an hour, the cake was ready to bake. I stretched my limb arms and prepared to make some cream for the cake. It’s been a while since I was so focused on doing something… I missed this feeling. ‘But why am I even doing this for a stranger I’ve just met.’ I laughed at myself.

“Happy Valentine’s Day! I made this for you hehe.” I held out a huge box in front of my girlfriend’s pretty face.

“AHHH! Thank you Hyunnie!” She squealed and the two of us sat down on the grass. She couldn’t wait to open the box containing her Valentine’s gift. I grinned as I watched her undo the knots carefully, and gently open the box. instantly formed an “o” shape and I couldn’t help but laugh at her childishness.

“Oh my goodness this is so pretty!” She paused and looked at me with her puppy eyes, “I… I love you, Daehyun. Thank you… for everything.”

“I love you too.”

I shoved the mixing bowl into the fridge and walked back to the living room, finishing my already warm beer. I glanced at the clock: 3:30pm. “It seems that my baking skills haven’t abandon me yet.” I grinned. I waited an hour for the cake to bake and finished it off with cream after spending some time reading the documents my leader mentioned. I managed to find a box big enough to contain the cake and put it on counter, and checked myself on a mirror to see if I look presentable. I fixed my hair and practiced my facial expressions so that I can look less awkward.

‘Why am I doing all this…’ I sighed, realizing I’m overdoing things. I guess all these days underground made me socially awkward somehow.

I checked my appearance one last time before slipping into a pair of leisure shoes and opening the door with the cake in my free hand. A queer smell rushed into my lungs and I immediately coughed, almost choking at it. I saw smoke seeping out of Jongup’s door. My eyes immediately widened and I rushed to his door, frantically pressing his bell. There was a crash inside, followed by Jongup’s yelp and cough. “W-wait a s-sec!” He shouted awkwardly. I heard him stumble towards the door and it opened in a few seconds.


hi lovely readers c: i know this chapter was long (well not really...) and boring, but i can't help that cause i have to talk more about the background of the story... ;__;
i hope you liked it though ^^ and i think i have to ditch that threeshot idea cause i'll definitely go over three chapters >< (considering that this has almost 2,000 words and was originally half a chapter -v-)

anyway! byebye and i'll update this soon hehe. please tell me what you think about this chapter ><

p.s. thank you for the 10 subscribers who liked my foreword :d