SEVEN

The Difficulty Of Being Kim Sung Gyu

 

CHAPTER SEVEN:Faith

 

 

The words ringed loudly in everyone’s ears as an empty feeling invaded the members’ stomachs. The bluntness of the question. The cold way it had been asked. Everything right then felt so wrong. How could someone ever tell them that? Even if it was a lie those words managed to leave them speechless. Infinite had been hurt publicly and they couldn’t even defend themselves. 

With a quick movement JongSuk cut the call from appearing on air and tried to speak with a calm expression as if it wasn’t a big deal. Surely, he failed at doing that.

“I’m sorry but that question—”

“No.”

Came the deep voice of MyungSoo while his eyes were closed. The other five members couldn’t hide their shocked looks.

“He did not.” the second youngest kept going. “SungYeol was—”

Then he hushed his own voice.

For a few seconds L had let out MyungSoo to the public. He was supposed to be the calm and cool one but he ended up reacting to the woman’s harshness. He knew they weren’t supposed to speak about the accident but that question had been too much for him to handle. To ignore. MyungSoo had to take care of SungYeol. He couldn’t keep quiet about it. He had to speak up for his friend and now he couldn’t go back.

What’s done is done.

The only thing he had left to do was look into his leader’s eyes seeking for help and forgiveness for he had betrayed SungGyu’s trust.

“SungYeol was at the wrong place at the wrong moment.”

In a soft way WooHyun supported MyungSoo’s words. He was holding a kind smile to the younger boy before turning to look at SungGyu who simply sighed.

Now they were two.

“I guess everyone knows the scandal Lee SungYeol is involved in. There are plenty of questions and not enough answers.”

Out of nowhere, at least from SungGyu point of view, he found the strength to speak out their thoughts. L had started it and WooHyun had decided to take care of him too. It was the leader’s role to look after the other members. Yes, he was trembling but his voice was firm and warmth.

“We know our fans are shocked because of this and so we are. The media and everyone share their own ideas but they aren’t really based on something. That’s their work, we don’t blame them for that yet we want them to remember SungYeol is a person too. And he’s hurting because of everyone’s misleading words.”

The cabin was getting busy with phone calls. Everyone was trying to talk with Infinite now that they were openly speaking about the issue. The younger members never stopped looking at their leader with amazement. They were proud and supporting silently everything SungGyu said. JongSuk was listening intently to his words not paying attention to the sings the producer gave him to end the transmission.

“We as a group – and as friends and brothers – are truly worried about SungYeol. We’ve seen how strong he is and how he’s toughly managing the scandal. He’s just a kid and like WooHyun-ah said, he simply was at the wrong place at the wrong moment.

The six of us believe in SungYeol and in his words. He is innocent but he isn’t able to prove it yet. A miracle, that’s the only thing we’re waiting for now. If someone is able to provide us that, please do it.”

SungGyu bowed knowing there were people watching the live radio program. All six members followed right away. 

“I’m trying really hard to keep the group together but right now we aren’t complete. We aren’t Infinite since Infinite is formed by seven members. If one person is missing then we’re just a bunch of guys with a shared dream. Nothing else and nothing more.

I, Kim SungGyu, as Infinite’s leader am begging for our fans’ faith, for you to believe in SungYeol and in Infinite.”

SungGyu’s voice was stronger. He was scared but happy to be releasing the burden he had been holding onto. He was content knowing he had done the right thing. Protect s. 

“Inspirits, please remember that Infinite is forever seven.”

When he finished his speech SungGyu knew things weren’t going to be the same. The moment MyungSoo opened his mouth everything had changed but he was ready, Infinite was ready to confront reality. He, as their leader, was ready to stand up for his donsaengs. Whatever punishment he was going to get SungGyu was ready to receive it. Because he knew he had walked the correct path.

 

 

“I told you SungGyu. I told you way too many times that Infinite couldn’t get involved in this!”

Lee JungYeop’s voice sounded strongly – he was almost shouting – in the large office that now felt like a tiny hole. Right after the radio transference ended SungGyu was sent to the CEO's place. SungGyu didn't get surprised by it. He half expected it. 

“I thought I didn’t have too tell you this. I thought that you knew and understood the situation. I supposed you knew your place and what you had to do! But no! You went there and opened your mouth instead of covering their useless words.  God, SungGyu! Can’t you take care of the member’s actions?! You’re their leader! Be their example!”

The CEO was frustrated and angry, his hands were moving harshly to emphasize his words. The older man couldn’t stay in a sitting position, he was simply moving around the small loveseat where SungGyu was sitting like a wolf surrounding their prey. The leader was looking at JungYeop’s polished shoes not daring to look up. The older man's presence was strong. 

“!” Their CEO never cursed. “I shouldn’t have let you go to that stupid radio program! And those calls! Who was the idiot that decided phone calls were okay for the program?!”

The man had lost his temper. SungGyu on the other side simply answered with an “I’m sorry, Hyung.” And kept quiet, receiving the older man’s fury.

“Sorry?! You aren’t sorry at all! You opened your freaking mouth and summoned the fans!”

“I had to.”

He answered sincerely, his eyes still down.

“I know you had to—but!” An exasperated growl bloomed from JungYeop before he rubbed his face with his hands.

Finally the man was calming down. It wasn’t the first time the CEO had lost his temper and SungGyu knew that.

“Listen SungGyu,” he started after he sat on the loveseat in front of the young man. “I know this situation is difficult, and a first for the group. We’ve seen Big Bang and plenty of other Idol groups having this kind of scandals still I never though it would happen to us too. Yet it did and I’ve been trying to fix this. You know I have, right? I’ve been workingmy off on this case ever since I received the news but right now you aren’t cooperating with me. You just went and made things a lot more complicated. Why, SungGyu-ya?”

“I’m sorry for making things worse but I had to protect MyungSoo and WooHyun. Not only them but the other members too.” SungGyu explained himself knowing it was the least he could do.

“So you decided on your own that they had to know what happened to SungYeol so they could feel better? Even if I told you not to until I said so? You simply jumped my orders and did what you thought was right?”

It hurt to nod. “Everyone was confused and things weren’t going great at the dorms. Their concentration was lowering too. I had to tell them. Knowing helped them feel a bit better and work harder.” 

“And more secure if you hadn’t noticed.” The CEO murmured creating a small smile on SungGyu’s lips. Smile that didn't go unnoticed. “Out of the five MyungSoo had to open his freaking mouth...”

“I’ll have a word with him.”

“And WooHyun too.” The CEO added sternly.

“Yes, Hyung.”

The older man sighed running a hand thru his messed up hair. “What’s done is done.”

Said that JungYeop rose from the black loveseat and directed himself to his desk letting SungGyu know their conversation was over.

“I take my leave then, Hyung.” He bowed before he walked to the door.

“SungGyu-ya.”

JungYeop’s voice stopped the boy from opening the door. The boy didn’t turn around.

“Start forgetting about appearing on Incarnation, next week.”

When SungGyu got the news that he had been invited to the talk show he had been excited about it and eager to go. He had everything already prepared and was looking forward to meet up with other celebrities.

“Yes, Hyung.” 

His voice was firm and blank.

“And I’m taking your free Sunday this weekend.” 

SungGyu barely controlled the painful expression that wanted to appear in his face. He was going to meet with his noona that day. He hadn’t seen her in almost a year after she got married and the CEO knew that. 

He really wanted to see her.

“Yes, Hyung.”