NINE

The Difficulty Of Being Kim Sung Gyu

 

CHAPTER NINE:Kim Myung Soo

 

 

He might have gone a bit over the line but SungGyu had his reasons. He, as the leader, had to call the attention of the Infinite’s members if they were doing something wrong or weren’t giving their best. And most of the time he was right. Not even once the scolded members answered back since they knew they had surely done something wrong. WooHyun was aware of that fact so he painfully accepted the scold and harsh words. Even now, for the past thirty minutes MyungSoo had been messing the dance steps and soon enough he earned some stern words from his leader.

“Yes, Hyung,” was the only answer L gave before Hoya went to help him out with the confused steps.

Out of the six the one that hated being scolded by their leader the most was WooHyun, not even SungJong hated it as much as the older boy. This was something that SungGyu was aware of since they had talked about it plenty of times before. Still, WooHyun was obviously mad at him. And the leader knew the reason.

One thing was scolding and another was shouting.

That Sunday had been a pretty intense day, he had been tired from all the hard work, happy since SungYeol finally recorded his audio and sad because he wasn’t able to see his older sister. All this plus other nameless worries were stuck into his soul so he ended up overreacting at WooHyun’s mistakes. Not only did he scold him, SungGyu ended up yelling at him tensing completely the atmosphere in the studio. The audio director even decided to call it a day after witnessing the scene. It was rare to see Infinite's leader act so out of control.

The younger singer was obviously hurt and at some point he had the right to be. Still, one thing was their relationship as friends and the other as leader-member. WooHyun had difficulty separating both – in fact everyone shared that problem – so now he was giving SungGyu a silent treatment that, even if it sounded childish, hurt the leader. After all, SungGyu was well known for his weak heart. 

“Okay guys, this is the last time. Don’t mess it up L, you got it right last time,” SungGyu said before indicating DongWoo to turn on the music.

 

On the ride back to the dorms the boys kept talking and joking around trying completely to ignore the fact that WooHyun and SungGyu were obviously having a fight. They knew their fights never lasted long. Still it was pretty uncomfortable the cold words WooHyun barely exchanged with their leader. DongWoo and SungJong didn’t really mind them since they were seating at the back while Hoya and L were at the front with WooHyun sitting in the middle of them. Their leader was at the front next to JungRyul. No way for them to ignore the two main singers.  

After managing to cross the sea of Forever Seven’s and giving them some fan service - they were truly grateful with them – Infinite managed to reach their flat. When they did SungJong instantly ran to the bathroom to take a shower first. DongWoo went directly to the kitchen to heat up some samgyetang soup his oldest noona had sent them while Hoya decided to take out the kimchi they had received from SungYeol’s mother. No rice. While some were showering the others were eating or preparing their stuff for next day. It was a pretty simple mechanism they had ended up perfectioning as the years went by.

When SungGyu was done with his shower he went back to the bedroom to let WooHyun know he could use the bathroom now but he found the boy sound asleep on the floor, next to him his drama’s script.

A sight escaped from SungGyu’s pretty lips. A feeling of pity tried to creep into his heart but he decided to ignore it as he slightly kicked the sleeping body with his bare foot.

“Yah, WooHyun. The shower’s free now. Go before you end up catching a cold in here.”

He kept kicking gently the boy’s ribs but the younger boy simply turned to the other side mumbling some unrecognizable words.

SungGyu kept on kicking. This time a bit harder.

“Yah!” groaned WooHyun as he sat on the floor; his hand pushed away the older boy’s foot from him. A frown framed perfectly his tired eyes.

“Shower and then you can sleep all you want.”

The leader was sitting on his bed as he saw the other boy pick up his towel from a chair and some clean underwear. WooHyun was choosing between some pyjama pants and some cotton shorts. While he was looking at the boy, SungGyu thought it was the best moment to apologise for snapping at him at the recording studio. He knew he had done wrong and having a fight with WooHyun wasn’t something he liked.

"WooHyun?" SungGyu said noticing the other boy roll his eyes.

"I'm on my way,” The singer said waving slightly the chosen clothes in the air; the frown never leaving his features. “Don't pressure me or what? Are you gonna shout at me so even Big Bang can listen?!" 

SungGyu frowned at the aggressive reaction. “Are you still mad about it?”

Instead of getting an answer the green shorts were directed at his face. He managed to dodge them.

“I’ll take that as a yes.” He murmured taking the shorts in his hands.

“Did you really have to yell at me in front of everyone?!” WooHyun had a confused and angered expression on his face that soon changed to a desperate one. “Just for the record I wasn’t playing around. I was trying my best but—” he sighed, “I really was.”

SungGyu kept quiet for a few seconds as his eyes kept looking deep into WooHyun’s.

“I don’t need you to ‘try’. I need you to do it.”

This time the towel didn’t fail to hit SungGyu straight in the face before the bedroom door was slammed shut.

 

 

He didn’t know for how long he had been sitting in that same spot on his messy bed. He was still wearing his giraffe pyjamas and old white shirt, his laptop was next to him and in his arms was a pretty soprano ukulele. Since yesterday he had spent his time figuring out how to play it. Who needs a teacher when you have Internet?

He was so submerged into the tabs that he barely failed to listen his bedroom door open.

“Ah DaeYeol, this chord sounds weird, right?—oh.“

SungYeol had expected to see his little brother at his door not a sweaty MyungSoo with an amused look on his face. A empty sensation invaded his stomach.

“I was worried about you but I guess you’re all right, you’re even playing ukulele,” The younger boy said after he closed the door and walked by the small room. The way he moved so comfortably around the place proved he had been there a few times before.

“Hum, well I was bored so DaeYeol bought it for me.” SungYeol didn't show how socked he was to see MyungSoo there he just strummed the instrument casually before he placed it next to his laptop.

Interest already gone.

“You could’ve answered my calls if you were that bored,” L said while checking the open books that were on SungYeol’s desk. “You were even studying Japanese?”

It was pretty hilarious knowing SungYeol was the best one in Infinite when it came to Japanese. 

“I told you I was bored. I can’t really leave home and DaeYeol's most of the time studying or at university. Even my parents spent most of the time outside,” The older boy defended himself.

SungYeol’s questioning eyes were following the younger figure that seemed really interested in his pretty common stuff. MyungSoo wasn’t supposed to be there and by the looks of it, it seemed he had escaped. He didn’t need L to explain since he knew it already but still he wanted an explanation for why the boy was there, in his place, instead of the dorms. Again the empty sensation appeared creating a glare in the older male's eyes.

“You could’ve answered my texts,” L said calmly taking a Rubik cube from the bookshelf before taking a seat on the bed. SungYeol unconsciously moved futher away.

“I was going to.”

Both of them knew SungYeol was lying. Neither of them pointed it out. MyungSoo simply turned to look at him with his serious eyes, for seconds that seemed hours, before he went back to the cube. 

The older boy sighed in defeat. “You stink.”

“We just had a practice.”

“Well, you shouldn’t have come then.” SungYeol murmured taking once again the ukulele. He wanted to distract himself. 

“Yeah, I shouldn’t have.” The words kind of hurt the older boy but L didn't notice. “I forgot how far this place is from the dorms.”

After that monotone but at the same time cold comment both stayed in silence. The only sound was the one SungYeol created while strumming gently the simple song he had learned. Once again the older boy couldn’t help it but feel uncomfortable with MyungSoo’s presence. He had been avoiding everyone, especially him. He knew he couldn’t hide forever but he wasn’t still prepared to see the members. MyungSoo’s visit had been a complete surprise. He didn't know how to react. 

“L-ah.”

SungYeol called the other boy who stopped his hands from aimlessly moving. He was listening to him.

“You know? …I'm sorry. And thanks.”

A small smile bloomed in the younger’s lips before he nodded. There was no need for him to explain so L could understand it. He knew SungYeol felt bad about shouting at him that one night and that he was grateful for his protection on the radio station issue. He was happy to know his hyung had listened to them. And SungYeol was happy to see that smile. Since his accident MyungSoo had stopped too smiling sincerely.

“Seriously speaking, I think you should really go back,” SungYeol said pushing slightly L’s shoulder. “You’ll get in trouble.”

“No. I’m not leaving,” He answered laying down on the bed. He could smell the older boy’s scent in the sheets. The same scent that had started to disappear from SungYeol’s top bunk bed.

“Leave.” The older boy insisted.

He didn’t get an answer.

L was simply resting facedown on the bed. He wasn’t moving at all so the older boy went to place his hands on his shoulders and shook him.

No response.

“Yah! Kim MyungSoo!” SungYeol shouted as he kept moving the boy strongly instantly getting a response from the younger boy who finally fought back.

“Yah! It hurts!” L complained trying to push the older boy away. Still both of them were smiling widely. The accident happened not even three weeks ago and they felt like it had been an eternity since they last played around. And it was the first time in a while SungYeol started the playful fight. Even if they didn’t say it out loud both of them knew they had missed each other. With their problems and everything, they still needed the other's presence. 

Somewhere between their fight the poor ukulele ended up on the floor while the laptop was about to get a big crack on the screen if it wasn’t for SungYeol’s fast reaction. Yeah, L was really clumsy. 

At some point MyungSoo managed to trap SungYeol under him between his legs when his mobile’s ringtone interrupted them. The twister-like position they were was rather uncomfortable but none of them cared about it. L and SungYeol were completely used to them by then.

Even if the mobile kept ringing they didn’t move from their position, mainly because SungYeol was trapped, not only between the younger's legs and elbow but in that penetrating gaze.

“Answer him.”

SungYeol finally said as he tried to catch his breathe. His eyes diverting from L's.

“No,” MyungSoo shook his head moving from the boy’s body and sitting on bed. When he reached for his mobile he confirmed their suspicion. 

It was SungGyu.

“He knows you’re here so if you don’t answer he’s gonna call me and I will end up telling him,” SungYeol said shrugging. “You know I can’t lie to him after all he has done for me.”

“Traitor,” L hissed before picking up the undesired call. “Hyung?”

Is the convenience store in Jeju Island or what?!” Came the loud voice from SungGyu. He sounded mad and desperate.

“No... It’s actually in Yongin,” L grimaced while SungYeol brusted out in a fit of laughter.

What?! Why did you go all the way there?!

“Well I just—”

Never mind." SungGyu groaned in frustration since he knew he couldn't really do a thing about it. "I know and I don’t care but you better bring yourself back before Geonam-hyung comes to do the night revision.” 

Giving orders was the only thing SungGyu could do now with L.

“I seriously can't believe they're keep doing that.” 

That's what we get for creating trouble. Either way, be careful. It’s getting late and you’re alone.” SungGyu added letting MyungSoo know his leader was worried about him. This made him fell a bit sorry for not informing him.

“I will.”

Oh, and L please… could you tell Mrs. Lee that we ate the kimchi well?”

MyungSoo slightly grinned at the shy words that came from SungGyu. “Yes Hyung.”

With that L hung up.  Both boys were grinning stupidly at each other.

“See? It wasn’t that bad, right? Grandpa Gyu isn’t really scary,”  SungYeol said getting a shove from the younger boy.

“Whatever,”  MyungSoo answered plopping on the bed once again. This time facing up to the ceiling.

“Aren’t you leaving?!” SungYeol overreacted. 

“Can’t I stay for a while?” L said with a begging look on his deep eyes. “I still have two hours before the managers go check on us and SungGyu knows now.”

Those freaking eyes.

“With one condition.”

"Which one?"

“Take a shower. Seriously, you stink!”