005 - Fan The Flames

Embrace the Night

A/n: probably a lot of spelling errors, I know. I'll bother fixing it all later. just a warning.

 

*flashback*

"T-Tao?" But the voices were becoming just a back drop to the scene. My arm pressed tighter into Kris' throat while the poor kid gasped out for help. His langly limbs and height were useless against my Wushu skills. "You think you would've learned by now." I spat out and moved my arm away for a moment to give him a little air.

Only to wrap both my hands around his scranny neck, slamming him down to the floor. "Tao stop it!" Someone yelled and it faintly registered that it was a girl's voice. "I-I'm so-" But I cut him off by a punch to the face. And then another one and I just laid them on him one after another. Until his lip started to bleed and his eye was starting to bruise.

"You must be a slow learner, Wu Fan." I got off of him and forced him to stand up with me. His body swayed sideways but I supported him against the lockers. "You think you're in pain now? Wait until you see what I can really do."

That familiar tingling moved through my veins, just like every other time this has happened. The tingling signaled the full, final transition into darkness.

"I-I'm sorry Zi... Tao." He sputtered out and a low chuckle resonated in the hallway. The laughter got louder and I threw my head back at the itch in my throat. "Do not call me that!" I yelled between snickering. "Please..." Wu Fan's hand weakly grabbed my forarms in what I think was an attempt to get me off of him. "Please what Wu Fan? Spare you?" He weakly nodded.

I registered the principal approaching escorted by what looked like cops. "Great, just what I need now." I threw Wu Fan's body against the opposite wall of lockers. "Hunag ZiTao!" The principal yelled as I stumbled towards them. "Hi." Of all things to say, my big mouth had to go and say that? It wasn't very intimidating.

I looked down at my hands and they had blood on them. I looked back up and I was swinging on the police.

The cold tile against the side of my face and the knee in my back told me that I hadn't gotten very far in attacking the armed officers. "Stay down!" One yelled and it's not like I'd move anyways. Cuffs clicked around my wrists and I understood they were nessecary for everyone's sake and safety. The last of the darkness trickled away and everything went black.

*end flashback*

-------

 

"I hate people like him." I rolled off the bed and just laid on the area carpet. "So smug and ignorant all the time." The floor muffles the complaints and my stomach started growling. I tried to get up but my head was swimming. "I feel like ," I admitted and the voice inside added it's useless two cent, "I bet Wu Fan feels worse".
 
The room was moving and it only added to the nausea settling in now. "It would've been terrible if I killed him or something." "Would it really be so bad? He'd be out of the way." I crawled on all fours towards the bathroom but not without effort. My hands kept slipping out from under me from the unkwown liquids all over the floor. "God," "There is no God for you." I just sighed at the arguing voice and finally made it to the bathroom. And just in time before I was bent over the toilet dry heaving.
 
"I need to sleep." I muttered and curled on the cold floor. "Do you think Wu Fan... will hate me forever?" I asked to the silence and silence was all I got back. "Oh so now you decide to shut up." I sneered sarcastically at the inner voice. "I'm really tired." I rolled over to stare at the ceiling, tracing the outlines of the support beams.
 
The growling in my stomach was the only sound in the silent apartment. "I'll feed you." I promised my empty stomach and got on my hands and knees again. The bedroom was dark from the lack of lamps and the even darker curtains blocking out the real world. But I still managed to slip on some boxers.

I almost tripped getting out into the hallway but I made it through unscaved. I searched the wall and smiled when I found the light switch. I switched on the hall lights but ultimately regretted it. I just swiched them right back off and stumbled into the small kitchen. My stomach growled even louder when I opened the fridge. It was empty except for some milk, ice cream and an old bag of apples. 

I made my way towards the front door. "Damn it!" I yelled as I face planted into the hardwood, my shoulder hitting it pretty hard. I sat up and glanced down at my mostly body and noted the bruises on my knees and shins. I tripped over a pair of boots which was convinent I guess. I stood, with support from the couch.
 
After getting dressed I grabbed my wallet and swung my back over my shoulders. "Maybe I should ask for more money." I stared into the almost empty wallet. "I don't even have enough to buy a cab." It's gonna be another of those long days where everything goes too slowly and my bad luck surfaces.
 
I was already opening the door when someone started knocking. I swung it open to reveal Luhan, who looked way too dressed up just to come see me. "To what do I owe the favor?" I asked and pushed him back into the hallway. "Are you going out?" Luhan asked. "I was gonna go eat. Why?" I shifted the backpack on my aching shoulders.
 
"I was wondering if you could come over." Luhan's smile was something that I couldn't say no to and I hated that. "I'm actually having everyone over for a small party. It'll be fun if you could come too and my mom ordered food for all of us. I wanted to properly thank you for helping me out. Sehun's there and it makes me nervous."
 
"If you're there I may not be such a nervous wreck." He finally stopped talking. I was gonna ask who 'everyone' was but my mouth spoke first, "Food?" My stomach silently grumbled. "Yes food, Tao." Luhan started laughing. "But fair warning, Kris may be there." And that's when everything turned suddenly sour. "Why?" 
 
"Because I invited Sehun. And Sehun invited everyone else and Suho invited Kris. So now he may be there. But don't worry." Luhan grabbed my arm and pulled me down the hallway. I wasn't going to burst his bubble but if Kris says anything it's gonna get ugly again. It was not even five minutes til we were at his apartment.
 
"And how exactly am I not suppose to worry? None of them like me." Awkward situations were something i learned to avoid. I felt like I was a piece of moving seal about to be thrown to the sharks. "I won't let anything happen." Luhan hooked arms with me like he could defend me or something. Or maybe it was to keep me from jumping any of his friends.
 
"We're here!" Luhan announced when he opened the door. "Good you're back. I'm starving and we were waiting for you." I recognized Kyungsoo as the short guy who stood in front of us. "What the is he doing here?!" I heard someone yell and I made eye contact with Suho. "I invited him." Luhan's grip tightened but only slightly.
 
"Why would you invite him?" Kyungsoo asked and gestured to me before looking to the corner of the room. I looked past him to see the others, including Kris, standing against the off-white walls. "Cause he's my friend too and I want him here." Luhan's fingers flexed and I could tell he was trying to figure out what to do.
 
"I think I should just go." I said and tried to pry Luhan's fingers off me, only to have them pull away on their own. "No." Luhan said shortly and if looks could kill I'm pretty sure I'd be dead by now. "Yes Luhan. We both know I shouldn't be here. Not with them." I nodded to the group in the corner and Luhan followed my gaze.
 
"Tao you are staying if I have to tie you down." Luhan said and locked the door behind us, like that would really stop me. "No one wants me here." I hissed when Luhan's hands clamped onto my arm again. "Damn right no one does." Jongin said and pulled Kyungsoo against him. "I want you here. Come on Tao, it's my birthday." Luhan said.
 
I registered the balloons tied to the end tables and the banner hanging on the wall. "I didn't get you anything." I started, "So see? I shouldn't be here." I repeated and maybe I could scrape by using that as an excuse to run away from the judgmental eyes watching me from everywhere in the too small living room. "Don't worry about that now. You can give me something later."
 
"Happy birthday though." I whispered and he just shrugged against my side. "He should go." Kris spoke up and all eyes turned to him. "I really should. There's something I probably should be doing." I got away from Luhan and he looked like I had just crushed him. and I might have but I've never been any good in socail situations. Especially with people who hate me.
 
"But I don't want you to go." But I ignored Luhan and unlocked the door. "Wait," I heard Luhan move behind me and I glanced over to see him blocking me from everyone else. "Tao is one of my best friends, one of my first friends. This is my party but if he goes so do I." I sighed ebcause he was making this a bigger deal than it needed to be.
 
"Stay." I swung the door open and stepped out into the hallway. "But-" I just shut the door to cut him off. I headed for the elevators because I'd rather go hang around my cousin than with Luhan's friends. I knew I did this to myself but doesn't mean it didn't hurt. I'd love to celebrate Luhan's birthday with him because we are friends. But I can't because I couldn't keep my fists to myself.
 
I swore to myself I'd never get attached to someone. Because they always end up hurting me in the end, all the same. I jammed the down button on the panel and it felt like it wasn't moving fast enough. The stairs seemed like a better bet so I took a deep breath and opened the stairwell door. I hated making the 4 floor descent.
 
I was on floor 2 when I heard someone running down the stairs behind me. I didn't actually expect Luhan to follow me so I didn't know what I expected when I looked up. But I defintiely wasn't prepared to see Sehun running down the stairs, jacket hanging loosely on his arms. Maybe if I just keep walking he'll go right by me. Ignore me like they do at school.
 
If only I was so lucky. "Hey Tao wait a second." Sehun's voice echoed through the buidling as I reached the door to the first floor lobby. I just continued ignoring him because he's the last person I'd want to talk to. Especially if he was gonna try to convince me to go back to the party from hell. No way I was gonna go back. That's like throwing myself to the sharks.
 
"Will you wait up?" Sehun's hand stopped me from opening the front door and the lady at the desk gave us a weird look. "What do you want Sehun?" His name sounded funny coming from me and I flinched at his hand on my shoulder. "Luhan started crying when you left." Sehun said and pulled us away from the doorway. "Get your hand off me." And he did.
 
"He's really upset that you just left him like that." I started awkwardly looking around at anything and everything other than him. "I'll celebrate with him later whn it's just the two of us." I pushed past Sehun and he stumbled back. "I have somewhere I need to be." It was a lie but maybe if I was lucky he'd believe me. But it seemed unlikely he would
 
"Look," He grabbed my shoulder again and I slapped his hand off of me. "Don't touch me." I hissed and pulled the beanie out from my pocket, slipping it onto my head. "Sorry. But Luhan really wants you there and I think you need to be there." I wish he'd just shut up because his voice is actually really annoying and I don't see the appeal that Luhan sees.
 
"I know you hate them and trust me they hate you the same, but if you and Luhan are as close as he thinks you are. You need to come back with me." I sighed and balled my fists into my pockets. "Who are you to tell me what I need to do?" I leaned into his face but he didn't pull back like most would. Most would run the other way.
 
"It's up to you." Sehun spun and opened the door to the stairs again. "I'm not gonna beg." And then Sehun was gone and the front desk lady was staring me down. I hit the wall and sprinted to try to catch Sehun. When i got to the landing for our floor he was standing there waiting for me. "Took you long enough." Sehun sneered and walked towards Luhan's.
 
I followed closely when Sehun opened the door and the room fell silent again. "Oh great." Kris rolled his eyes from the corner. "Thank you!" Luhan squeelednd bounded over to me with a cup in hand. He shoved into my hand and I could smell the alcohol. "I don't drink." And I do it for a reason. I don't want to ruin his birthday by letting my worse half do something stupid.
 
"That's alright. Come on!" Luhan pulled me towards the couch and pushed Kai over against the armrest. "Sit here. It's almost cake time." Luhan beamed and I could feel Kai and Kyungsoo stiffen next to me. It was definitely not worth getting out of bed this morning.