Payback

(My Sweet) Panda Next Door

 

 It was early morning on a Sunday. The next thing you know, you were snuggling on the panda bear you saw in front of your door last night. It was too soft and fluffy to resist. And when you’re with it… It felt like…

 You will never be alone…

 You closed your eyes shut, hugging the panda bear. You were too tired to stand up from your comfy, soft, one-person bed. But you never considered yourself lazy. After a while, you heard grumbling noises coming from your stomach. It’s either your period is on… or you’re hungry. You held your stomach and rubbed it. *I’m hungry…*

 You stood up from your bed and stared at the panda… someone gave you as a welcome gift. A smile crept on your face. *I wonder who gave this to me…* You held the panda, *So thoughtful of him… or her.* For the last time, you squeezed it tightly in your arms.

 You stood up and headed for the kitchen. It sparkled like stars in the twilight sky. The cupboards and cabinets were clean, not even a single dust can be seen. The sink and counter was clean, the kitchen utensils were organized in their rightful places.

 *If the landlady can afford these, then why doesn’t she fix the exterior of this place? If she wanted to attract more boarders, then she should really fix it! It’s for her own benefit anyway…* You pointed out. You then thought of what she said to you last night – “You know, real beauty is in the inside, so don’t judge so easily…” “Old people and their wise sayings…” you shook your head.

 You faced the tall, large silver fridge. You expected that when you open the door, a haven of food will show up before your very eyes. But when you opened it… “Oh crud! I totally forgot…” At the sight of the empty refrigerator, your stomach grumbled again. *Argh! Fine… This is the worse…* You face-palmed yourself. You stumbled back to your bedroom and got new, fresh, clean casual clothes. You headed to the bathroom to change.

 After you changed, you grabbed your bag with your wallet inside it. You put your converses on and got outside of your apartment room.

 You heard a door squeak. It was the room at your left. *Maybe if I…* You walked towards the room, *Nah, never mind.* You’re not even sure if one or your neighbors gave it to you. *Maybe a stalker…?* By the thought of it, your cheeks flushed bright red. You continuously slapped your cheeks, *Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! That can’t be it! You just came here and you already have a stalker?! You’re weird, Yun Hae.* You sighed, “We’ll find out sooner or later…”

 You’ve finally reached the supermarket. You got a cart and made your way into the snacks aisle. You put your finger on your bottom lip and compared prizes. After a few seconds, you found yourself hugging a lot of snacks, your hands were so full. You threw them in the cart. *I’ll get fat sooner or later…*

 After an hour of shopping, you walked your way back to your apartment, carrying two bags filled with nothing but food. You happened to pass by a store filled with animal plushies. You paused for a while. Your gaze shifted to the store. *Hmm… I should buy one, as a thank you gift, maybe?*

 
You’ve finally decided to step foot in the store. The bell rang, signaling a costumer came. You were greeted with a warm welcome from one of the workers standing by the cashier, “Welcome!” she beamed. You smiled back.

 The store was filled with stuffed toys of different sizes and different characters. There was a really tiny one, and one was the same height as you. *How can these things fit in one, tiny store?!* You exaggerated.

 You passed by lots of cute and irresistible toys, but one caught your attention. It was a panda cell phone strap. The panda seems to be holding a bamboo stick. Its cheeks puffed up as he was biting the end of the bamboo. The lace was of the usual color, black. It was too adorable to let it slip off. “Good thing no one bought this one… yet.” You whispered.

 You got the phone strap and went to the counter. You took your wallet and you’re all ready to pay when the cashier suddenly said, “You have good taste.”  You smiled. “For whom is this?” she continued. “Er, it’s for a certain someone… no! Er, friend?” you gave her a quizzical look. She giggled, “Well, if you say so…” She gave you the small packet containing the phone strap. “Thank you and come again!” she said with excitement.





 You got home at around 10 am in the morning. You settled and organized the things you bought. When you opened your shoulder bag, a small packet fell from it.


 You took it and gazed intently at it, with sparkling eyes. You tried to hide your wide grin, but it was impossible.  No one, not even your family, which you tried to forget, gave you something so… precious. “I wonder who…” You then remembered the note from last night. You dashed off to find it, and when you finally did, you were shocked -



 Room 524


 “Wait… That’s – “ You didn’t think twice. You rushed out of your room, banging your door, and looked at the number plate of the door next to yours. ‘Room 524’, it was carved in shiny, gold steel. Redness reached your face. You cupped your burning cheeks, “Yun Hae, stop it! Pabo you!” you pouted.

 You went back to your room. You closed the door, leaned in, and took a deep sigh. You smiled and put your fist in the air “You can do this, Park Yun Hae! Aja! Aja! Fighting!!!” you supported yourself. But inside you, you didn’t think you can do this.

 



 After a few hours, you got out of your room and put the small packet with a note attached to it on the rough, red carpet in front of the door. You inhaled. You had a mix of emotions: happiness, anxiety, fear, and mostly… excitement. *3. 2. 1…* After the count of three, you knocked on the door thrice and ran back to your room like a lost child running to seek her dear mother.

 The door flung open, the man leaned in and saw the small packet lying in front of him, waiting to be picked up from the cold floor. He took it. His gaze softened when he saw it. He gave it a tight grip, “Silly Yun Hae…” He chuckled. He opened the packet and saw the panda phone strap. His thumb ran across the panda’s fluffy cheek. *Really? Of all things, it has to be a panda…* He smiled softly.

 He took the note then read it -



 Thanks for the warm welcome gift last night. I was touched, er, never mind what I said. I really appreciate it, so here’s payback. I hope it comes out handy… Anyways, my name is Park Yun Hae. A pleasure to meet you!

- Room 523



 “I don’t need to be told twice…” He chuckled. *Idiot, of course it will come in handy. I don’t need anything… In fact, all I need is you. I’m happy just by you being happy. If only you knew who I really am…*

 
The unknown guy smiled.

 

 


 

 

 Anneyeong~! I made a double update. Lol. So fast huh? Maybe I'm too excited...

 Guess who is it? Yeah, I made it too obvious in the title and in the description. Sorry for giving you spoilers! Mianhae~

 Anyways, you can expect a Chapter 3 updated next week. I've already wrote some chapters in my notebook, so it would be very easy to update now. 

 I hope you, all keep on supporting me. And let me note you once more, this is not a one-shot, or any of those other shots out there~

 Please look forward for more update! Oh yeah~ Chapter 4 is Tao's official appearance~ Excited? 

 READ, COMMENT, SUBSCRIBE!

 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.