"Let me remind you again."

This Life is Yours!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Crazy tofu here.... Please don't get heart attack... /runs/

 

Sunggyu was about to get up when Kangjun appeared in front of him. He looked down on Sunggyu for about 10 seconds before sitting beside him. He said nothing still but he was furrowing. Sunggyu could see some resemblances to Sora when he saw him looking like that. 

"Edema. That was why her legs were swollen." He began, somehow clenching his jaws. "Breathlessness. That was why she needed oxygen mask." He paused for a while. "It might look that bad but that was nothing."

Sunggyu could only look the empty wall ahead of him, unable to utter a word.

"She's just depressed." Kangjun said again. "Which is why..."

"What's wrong with her heart?" Sunggyu asked, not looking at Kangjun.

Kangjun shut his eyes, trying to hold back his feelings. "She didn't tell you?"

"She told me it hurts." Sunggyu said, remembering the pain in her voice.

"Hurts?" Kangjun laughed wryly. "She never told me that."

 

Sunggyu turned to Kangjun then, looking at his face that was full of agony.

"I'm fine, I'm alright, don't worry about me, it's nothing." Kangjun said, slowly. "These were all that she told me. But to you, she told you it hurts?" Kangjun smiled sadly to himself and said quietly.  "You're so unfair, noona."

"It's just Thora."

Kangjun dropped his head. "That's just her. Yeah... I guess she didn't tell you?"

"No. But I saw the thing dangling on her."

"That's only a diagnostic tool, don't sweat it." Kangjun said calmly. "But the results would tell something different."

"The results..."

"It seems like ever since she was diagnosed, her condition seems to worsen rapidly. And the medicines she's taking are giving her those side-effects..."

"Side effects?"

"Cold limbs, fatigue..."

"She always had cold hands..."

Kangjun turned to Sunggyu suddenly, making Sunggyu flinched a bit. "Really? Why does it feel like you know her better than I do?" He laughed a bit, making Sunggyu nervous and unable to say anything again.

"You still haven't told me the name of her disease." Sunggyu asked.

"Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy."

"Hyper..." Sunggyu tilted his head, trying to make sense of the word.

"You don't know about it?"

"No..." Sunggyu said, looking down his hand. "What I know is her heart is hurting."

"True." Kangjun said, sharply.

"Since when..."

"Since she was still in our mum's tummy." Kangjun said, almost jokingly. "The disease is hereditary."

"Since she was born? But she was perfectly fine before!"

"The gene just decided to appear. There's nothing we can do about that. Most people won't even know they have such disease. But after they are diagnosed, their life just changed, just like Noona's. Her heart might not be hurting that much but her other heart is."

"Then... if she wasn't diagnosed... would she be better?"

"Are you kidding me? If she wasn't diagnosed, she would die out of nowhere." Kangjun said, clearly angry but he talked as if it was a joke.

"Die..."

"Yeah. She would just stop walking and collapse. And die."

"How could you say that...?" Sunggyu said, feeling horrible.

 

"It's the truth." He said, firmly, before standing up and walked away; disappearing at the corner. Sunggyu stood up as well, and entered the ward. Sora's mother was talking to her and they didn't notice him because the curtain was covering her bed. He stood there, not knowing what to say when Kangjun's voice erupted from behind.

 

"What are you doing standing here?" He asked, glancing at Sunggyu and walked straight to Sora's bed. He was carrying some drinks and gave them to their mother who finally noticed Sunggyu. Sunggyu bowed to her and walked nearer to the bed, before turning to Sora who was sitting up. She smiled nervously when she saw him and she was no longer wearing the gas mask, which made Sunggyu felt a bit relieved.

 

"Why haven't you gone home?" She asked, looking somehow embarrassed, probably because her mother and Kangjun were there.

"Oh... I'm about to go."

"Oh. Take care."

"Um." Sunggyu said. He bowed to her mother again. "I'll be going now."

 

Sunggyu took one last look at Sora and she looked at him back before he turned and walked out of the hospital. Instead of going home, he went back to rent house where he spent the night killing several cockroaches, looked up on information about Sora's condition and fell asleep thinking how to make Sora remembered again.

 

 

 

 

He woke up incredibly early the next day and after cleaning himself, he went back to the dorm.

"Where were you?" Woohyun asked, rubbing his eyes. He had just woken up when Sunggyu went into the room.

"With Thora." He said, taking off his shirt and dumped it on the floor.

"Mwuh?" Woohyun's eyes perked open. "Hyung, don't tell me..."

"What are you thinking?" He said, with a somber tone. "It's nothing like that..."

Woohyun stood up. "Hyung, is there anything wrong?"

"Wrong... Everything's wrong..." He took another shirt and put it on.

"Is there a problem?"

"I'm running out of time." He said, looking down the shirt he dumped.

"But, there are more time left." Woohyun looked at him bleakly.

 

Sunggyu broke the story to Woohyun, sitting on the floor and fiddling with the shirt on the floor.

"14 days?! But that's..." Woohyun made a distraught face.

"I know... I'm going crazy just thinking about it."

"Han Sora... Is she okay?"

Sunggyu clenched the shirt. "I'm not sure. I'm going to meet her again today and ask her properly..."

"Hyung, cheer up. I bet there will be a way." He said, assuring him.

 

 

 

Sunggyu could only smile to himself before he went back to the hospital. Sora was already discharged when he arrived and she looked a bit surprised to see him. Kangjun was there as well and he looked like he hadn't been sleeping well.

"Are you getting discharged?" Sunggyu asked.

"Dae... But I have to stay at the hospital for some... tests." She said, smiling fleetingly. "Kangjun, it's okay now. You can go home. I bet it was tiring to sleep on the chair last night... Mian"

"I'll stay."

"You're going to get bored." She said, looking at with concern.

"I'll just play games on my phone while waiting."

"It's going to take hours."

"I don't mind."

"I'll stay with her." Sunggyu suddenly said.

"Kim Sunggyu-sshi..."

"I'll keep an eye on her. You should go back and rest." Sunggyu said, looking at Kangjun.

Kangjun looked at Sora, then at Sunggyu before he nodded his head in hesitation. Sunggyu and Sora watched him walking away before Sora got down from the bed and fixed her blouse.

"Kim Sunggyu-sshi, it's okay really... You can go home as well..."

"Ani. I'll stay."

"But... don't you have interviews?"

"I don't have one today, so I'm free."

"Is that so... but really, there wouldn't be anything to do while you're waiting for me."

"I'll wait." Sunggyu said, strongly. "I'll always wait."

 

Sora couldn't say anything so she blew her face and walked away. Sunggyu smiled before walking after her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter