Familiar but far.

This Life is Yours!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kim Sunggyu came home that day smiling to himself again, still feeling Han Sora's hand in his. There was nothing he was thinking about but his meeting with her again the next day and he was a bit anxious by the fact that it would be their last meeting in the hospital. He had these selfish thoughts that he wanted Han Sora to stay at the hospital longer as he would at least have a reason to visit her. That was why he was happy when she nodded when he asked whether it was okay to meet her again even after she's been discharged.

 

"You smell like the hospital and you can't lie about it." Woohyun said, as soon as he saw Sunggyu entering the room.

"Yeah, yeah. I went to the hospital again." He said, almost laughing.

"You look a bit happy today?" He said, grinning. "Did something good happen?"

Kim Sunggyu removed his jacket and hung it carefully before he looked at Woohyun and tried to maintain a straight face but he erupted into a giggle and sat down on the floor across Woohyun.

 

"She's going to be discharged tomorrow." Sunggyu began, smiling uncontrollably.

"Oh, she is?" Woohyun exclaimed.

Sunggyu nodded, looking keenly at Woohyun. Woohyun looked at him and couldn't help but to feel irked out with Sunggyu's endless smile.

"And I guess that is not all?" Woohyun said, tilting his head awkwardly.

"No. She said it'd be okay to meet her after she's been discharged." Sunggyu said, giving Woohyun a meaningful smile.

Woohyun clapped his hand, impressed. "So has she remembered?"

"Remember what?"

"Anything?"

 

Sunggyu frowned and fell flat on the floor, looking at his hand. "I don't care about that anymore." Truth was, he was so disturbed by those little déjà vu he had and it was too much of a coincidence. However, as he was unable to even relate any of those déjà vu with his memory, he decided to just cast them aside.

 

"Are you serious?" Woohyun asked, looking surprised.

"Yeah. It's no use trying to remember what didn't happen."

Woohyun furrowed his eyebrows, his face was turning sour. "I don't like how you're saying it as if I was lying this whole while."

 

Sunggyu got up immediately. "Who said you were lying?"

"You said it didn't happen. What's the difference?" Woohyun scoffed.

 

Sunggyu was at loss of words when he tried to open his mouth. He looked searchingly at Woohyun, noticing how he was really disappointed. He had spent too much time with him that he could tell Woohyun was angry even when he covers it with a laugh. At that moment, Woohyun looked hurt enough and he felt guilty for it but he was tired of doing something pointless.

 

"I didn't mean it that way. Maybe you really met this Angel of yours but it's not Han Thora."

"I still think it's her. I feel weird looking at her." Woohyun said, pouting.

"Feel weird?"

"Yes. This here," He pointed to his chest, "Hurts so badly when I saw her sleeping face."

 

Sunggyu couldn't take the joke anymore. "Yah, Nam Woohyun, what are you trying to say?"

"I'm just saying what I feel." He said, getting up and walked out of the room.

Sunggyu got up as well, trailing behind him. "Why would you feel that way?"

"I don't know. Somehow I feel bad for her, she can't remember what happened to her and no one seems to try to remember for her." Woohyun said, picking up the comics from the floor that Myungsoo had been reading. Myungsoo who was sleeping on the floor with his belly exposed got up immediately and looked bleakly at his two hyungs.

 

Woohyun walked over to the shelf, putting the comics neatly there. Sunggyu stood motionless next to Myungsoo who sat up and watched the other men quietly.

"There is nothing to remember." Sunggyu said, quietly.

"There is but you just won't admit it because you can't remember." Woohyun said, turning to Sunggyu.

 

"What's the big deal?" Sunggyu asked again, his voice slightly raised. Myungsoo looked up at him and then at Woohyun. Dongwoo came out from his room after hearing the commotion and raised his eyebrow at Myungsoo who could just shrug.

"She's safe, she's alive and she wants to see me again. Why should I bother about the past?"

 

"I'm bothered by it!"

"Why should you be bothered?"

"Because I know I wasn't drunk. I didn't make the story up. Ask Hoya. He could feel you too."

 

Sunggyu sighed to himself. "I get it. I get it."

"No, you don't get anything, hyung. Who knows if Sora getting stabbed was because of you? That she was really giving her life to you? You were there when she visited me. I bet she took you under her shelter since she was the one who could see you." Woohyun said, rather sadly. "Those three months."

 

Sunggyu ruffled his hair, unable to contain Woohyun's words. He still didn't get why Woohyun was so agitated over it. He wasn't the one whose soul was wondering and met Han Sora yet he was being too touchy about it.

"It sounds more like an imagination to me. There is no such thing like that in real life." He snapped.

 

Woohyun looked away, biting his lips and looked at Sunggyu again. "I'll prove it to you, hyung."

"How?"

"However it takes." Woohyun said, brushing past Sunggyu and went into their room.

 

That night, manager-hyung had to go out to buy food and Woohyun went out to sleep with Dongwoo in the living room, leaving Sunggyu all alone in his room. He tossed around on his bed, thinking about Woohyun's words. Somehow they sounded as absurd as ever but his chest was hurting him again.

 

 

"Han Thora-ah... Who are you?" He heard himself said.

 

 

 

 

He woke up near afternoon and found Dongwoo and Woohyun not at home. Then he checked out the other kids' rooms just to find no one was home. One of the manager-hyungs however was at home and after taking a shower, he asked him to drive him to the hospital. He told him that he would be long at the hospital, as he was going to wait until Sora was discharged. So he told the manager-hyung to go home first.

 

He walked up to Sora's ward just to hear Woohyun saying something about wanting to hug her. Oh how his chest tightened.

 

"Dongwoo what are you guys doing here?" Sunggyu asked; with his face hardened. "Why are you guys bothering her?" He didn't look at Woohyun when he said it.

Sora felt so devastated for some reason, hearing the tone of his voice.

 

"It's not Dongwoo-hyung's fault." Woohyun said calmly, "I was the one who wanted to come."

 

Sunggyu shifted his gaze from Dongwoo to Woohyun and they just stood there staring at each other. Sora didn't know what and how she did it but she jumped off her bed and rushed to get in between Sunggyu and Woohyun. She stood facing Sunggyu, almost brushing her torso with his and when she looked up to Sunggyu who was much taller than her, she was so startled that she unconsciously stumbled backwards. Woohyun who was behind her caught her back in reflex and Sunggyu too, caught her hands, pulling her into him just as she was about to fall. He held her for a good few seconds, looking at Woohyun who cleared his throat and looked a bit taken aback.

 

"Why are you so clumsy?" Sunggyu nagged when Sora pushed him away.

"Ahaha. I'm sorry." Sora said, scratching her head, smiling awkwardly, casting a glance at Sunggyu before looking away.

 

"I'm going home." Woohyun said, looking at the ceiling. "Hyung, let's go home."

Dongwoo got up from his chair, looking a bit perplexed but didn't forget to offer a smile at Sora. Sora smiled back, almost guiltily so.

"Hyung, we're going home first." Dongwoo said, tapping Sunggyu's shoulder.

"Oh." Sunggyu offered a flat smile at him. Sora looked at Dongwoo and nodded. Woohyun walked away first without saying anything else but he gave a sharp look at Sora that made her flinched a little bit.

 

When they were gone, Sunggyu pulled her hand towards her bed where he made her sit and looked at her intently.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"Um, yes." Sora answered, feeling strange.

"Did they bother you?"

"No! No! They were just visiting me and I'm glad for that." Sora said, but added a quick, "Really!" when she saw Sunggyu's skeptical gaze.

"I told them not to come but that Woohyun is such a block." Sunggyu said, scratching his head. "He can't stop talking about his angel and everything."

"Angel?" Sora asked, curious.

"Well, yes. Didn't he call you that?"

Sora laughed badly. "Why would Nam Woohyun-sshi want to call me Angel?"

Sunggyu's face calmed a bit when he saw her laughing face. "He told me it was an angel that told him that I would definitely wake up from my coma. I think he was just drunk."

"Jang Dongwoo-sshi told me a little about that just now. But I don't get it what Nam Woohyun-sshi was talking about. He said something about red boxers..." Sora blushed unconsciously, making Sunggyu laughed at her.

"Just ignore that. I'm sure he was daydreaming."

"But he seemed so determined when he was talking about it..." Sora's voice trailed off, remembering the look in Woohyun's eyes when he was talking about it earlier. "But Kim Sunggyu-sshi what are you doing here? I thought you'd be coming in the evening?"

Sunggyu looked up to her face and blinked rapidly. "Ah. Oh. I was doing nothing at home so I just came here. Have you packed up your things?"

"Yeah, I've packed them up." Sora said, patting her bag of clothes on the side table. "But mum would be here in the evening though. It's almost a few hours away." She sighed, looking at the big clock on the wall.

 

Sunggyu went on looking at her before she caught him. He cleared his throat.

"What if we go home first?"

"Huh?"

"Let's get you discharged and I'll send you home?" Sunggyu said, not knowing what he was saying.

"Eh?" Sora eyed him strangely. "Is that a good idea? Eomma will be coming here later... And I don't have money to pay for the bills." She said, scratching her head.

"You can settle the bills later." Sunggyu replied, waiting for her response.

"Can I?"

"I can pay it for you if you want to."

"Kim Sunggyu-sshi you're so funny." She laughed, shaking her head.

"So, do you want to get out now or not?"

 

Sora stopped smiling and bit her lips. It wasn't that she didn't want to but she knew her place and she knew well who Kim Sunggyu was. If they were to walk out of the hospital together, who knows who might be watching?

 

"Thank you... but I think I'll just wait for my mum." She said, smiling rather sadly.

"It's okay. Then I'll just wait here with you." Sunggyu said, smiling and unconsciously his hand was patting her head again. He couldn't help thinking that it was natural for him to do so.

 

So he waited with her at the hospital, talking about these and those and both of them nodded off to sleep soon after. Sunggyu slept with his hands across his chest in his chair, and almost fell down when he abruptly woke up. He rubbed his eyes and looked at the clock. It was already 5 but Sora's mum wasn't in sight. He sat up and stretched his body, leaning towards Sora and touched her face lightly. She seemed to be deep in sleep and Sunggyu was smiling to himself when he felt someone was watching him.

 

He turned to find a lady behind him, looking a bit confused. He quickly casted his hands behind him and bowed to her.

"Annyeonghaseyo." He said nervously, bowing again.

The lady was still eyeing him strangely but she nodded a little.

 

"Oh. Eomma, you're here?" Sora's voice came from behind him, making him jumped a little. He turned to her before looking at the lady again.

"Sora, you're ready?" Her mother walked past Sunggyu and checked her side table to make sure there was nothing left in it.

"Yes." She yawned. "I'm hungry."

"I know. I wanted to get off earlier but my boss was nagging me again. Then I went home and prepared dinner before coming here. You must be bored waiting for me all day."

"Not really. Kim Sunggyu-sshi was here all the while." She said, rubbing her eyes. "Oh, Eomma, this is Kim Sunggyu-sshi."

 

Sunggyu's heart beat loudly and he bowed at her again, almost too bent and it made her mother laughed a little.

"I'm Sora's mother." She said, smiling to him.

"I'm Kim Sunggyu."

"A friend of yours?" Her mother asked Sora.

 

Sora looked at her mother and didn't know what to actually reply to her.

 

"Your boyfriend then?" Her mother asked again, laughing.

Sora's face blushed terribly. "Aniya...!" She got up and grabbed her change of clothes that her mother had laid for her and rushed to the nearest toilet. She stomped her feet in front of her mirror, sulking to herself.

"Aish! Chincha! Eomma!!!"

 

Sunggyu and her mother looked at each other and laughed. Sora didn't know that she shouted to herself in the toilet so loud that almost all of the nearest patients could hear her.

 

"Are you dating my daughter?" Her mother asked, smiling faintly.

"Ah? No, I just knew her."

"You were touching her face."

 

"I wasn't! I mean, there was some hair on her face and I just thought it was disturbing her and I was just..."

"Don't be nervous. I'm just kidding." She chuckled.

 

Oh god, why did her mother reminded him so much of Nam Woohyun?

 

Sora came back, with her face so sour that she just stood in front of her bed without saying anything.

"Ready?" Her mother asked.

"Yes..." She said. "Kim Sunggyu-sshi, are you going home as well?"

"Well, yes." He said, just realising that he hadn't called manager-hyung yet.

"Why don't you join us for dinner?" Sora's mother asked suddenly.

"Eh?" Both Sunggyu and Sora exclaimed, looking at her.

"I cooked a lot of food; Perhaps a bit too much for you and me to eat alone." Her mother said, laughing. "So, why don't you come alone, Sunggyu?"

"I don't know... Won't I be a bother?"

"Of course you won't! I'm glad to know that Sora actually has friends. I don't think I know any of her friends except for Sunghee." She laughed again.

"Eomma!" Sora cried. "Kim Sunggyu-sshi, are you coming?"

"Will it be okay?"

"If you want to." Sora said, actually hoping that he would say yes.

"Well." Sunggyu looked at Sora's glistening eyes before nodding.

 

 

 

It was amusing how Sora was almost quiet during the ride though she was sitting in front and her mother was asking him every question that she could she think of.

"So are you working?" She asked.

Sunggyu was unsure of what to say. "Well, yes."

"What are you working as?"

"I... sing."

"Sing? You're a singer?"

 

Clearly her mother too didn't seem to know much about idols.

 

"Kim Sunggyu-sshi is a singer." Sora said, looking at her mother. "He's from Infinite."

"Infinite?" Her mother made a long hmm sound before turning her car left.

"They're really famous." Sora said. "Didn't you see my CDs?"

"You have them? I should take another look. I only remember Hero Jejung." She laughed.

"You only know him because you said he looks like a character from Final Fantasy." Sora pouted to herself.

She laughed again. "Kim Sunggyu. Kim Sunggyu. Why haven't you mentioned him before? I didn't know you'd actually know him personally?"

"I don'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter