The Key to Having Fun

My Next-Door Idiot
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Aaaaaannd thanks to rxsberry for this poster!

Age 15 (Present)

Key lived in Daegu while we lived in Seoul, so his family would visit every once in a while. I was always ecstatic whenever Key came over for many reasons, but the main one was basically because I had a crush on him.

He claimed to be ‘Kris’s secret guardian’, which actually meant he was always looking for opportunities to prank Kris. So if Kris was ever being mean to me or making me cry, Key would never hesitate to secretly pour hot sauce into his food or fill his drawers with bugs. He was also constantly trying to make sure I was happy, which was easy to do because his jokes would always make me laugh.

Just being around Key… It always made me feel better. Even with Kris bringing me down.

“I’m here!” Nayoung chimed as she stepped out of her car. All of our heads turned towards her direction.

“Oh god.” I groaned, running my fingers through my hair.

“What is she doing here?” Kris said in a fed-up tone, putting his palm to his face.

“Kris! Why aren’t you dressed up yet?” Nayoung asked annoyingly, standing beside me.

“I told you I wasn’t you going.” Kris said, his words slightly muffled in his palm.

“I thought Jihae convinced you.” She said innocently.

“I told you I didn’t.” I replied to her, also facepalming myself.

“It’s great to see you again, Jihae.” Key said. I turned to him and he smiled.

“Whoa, why are there so many people outside?” I heard Luhan’s voice. The lord is testing me.

I started walking towards him at his car, “Luhan, I’m really sorry, but I’m going to have to—“

“Go to the dance! And take Nayoung with you.” Kris interrupted, stepping behind me.

“Don’t be like that Kris; Kibum is only here for the weekend. You guys can go dance some other night.” My dad waved off.

“You can’t go?” Luhan looked at me and I felt completely horrible.

“Sorry, maybe next time.” Mrs. Wu said. “We have family visiting.”

“I understand.” Luhan nodded. “It’s totally fine, Jihae.”

“Are you sure?” I asked him, “I’ll make it up to you, I swear!”

“What about me??” Nayoung pouted in the middle of everything.

“Just leave.” Kris groaned.

“But this dress was designed in Paris! And do you know how many boys I’ve rejected? What am I supposed to do if I go to the dance without a date?” Nayoung whined.

“Go with Luhan.” Kris suggested. Nayoung glanced back and forth from me to Kris for a while, and then pulled on Luhan’s arm to bring him next to her.

“Fine, I will go with Luhan!” Nayoung yelled. What is this girl even doing? She’s not going to make Kris jealous if that’s what she’s thinking.

She and Luhan were both staring at me and I just stared back, not really understanding why.

Oh, I’m supposed to get jealous and stop her.

Oh.

“Great, so it’s all settled! You two have fun at your little dance and don’t forget to send pictures ‘kay thanks bye!” Key stepped in, pushing the two of them down the lawn and towards their cars.

I just watched as Nayoung kept resisting Key’s pushing, a little confused how that worked out.

“You’re just going to let her go with Luhan like that?” Kris asked me.

I turned towards him and we stared at each other for a bit. “Yeah, I am.”

 

 

 

I spent the whole dinner just thinking about what just happened. Just a couple of months ago I would’ve done whatever it took to stop Nayoung and Luhan from going to th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter