One.

The Pretty Barista

"I mean, their milk tea is pretty good. But my favorite is still Bubble Tea and TeaXpress." Sehun says.

"Well, we all have our preferences," Luhan starts, "I guess Kai likes it there."

I tapped my foot in annoyance. I checked my watch, it was already 5:30. "So, are we going or not? We're going to miss the bus."

"Lay and Baekhyun are coming along." Luhan tells me. "We can catch the 6 o'clock bus."

I groan as we wait for whoever else will tag along. I only invited Luhan to come along because Sehun was already getting sick of that place. It had been three weeks since our first venture to Dream Tea. Dream Tea, to this day, I still hate the name.

But I had gone back there almost every day and visited that tea shop since that first time Sehun had asked me to accompany him.

3 Weeks Prior

"There's this new milk tea place I wanna try." Sehun casually says as he takes the seat beside me in the bus.

We were on our way to our dance academy, which we had every Tuesdays and Thursdays. From our neighborhood, because Sehun and I were neighbors, it took us 20 minutes to get to our academy by bus. If we dared walk, it would take more than a half hour.

"Where?" I ask simply.

"It's near the academy." Sehun informs me.

I shrug. I wasn't a big fan of milk tea. Sure I liked it. I mean, it was good. But I was more of a coffee person. Sehun loved his milk tea, though.

"So you wanna go after class?"

Sehun nods. "It's called Dream Tea."

What the hell kind of name is that? It's gotta be one of the worst ones we've been to yet. Sehun has dragged me along in almost all of his milk tea adventures. I know what his favorite ones are, I know his regular orders, I know which ones he hates, and which places have good memories. Sehun always took me along. I didn't complain. We are best friends after all. Besides, if he knew I wasn't enjoying myself, he would treat me a free snack and drink.

I shrug, "Sure."

Honestly, I was up for a snack after dance class. I wasn't in the mood to go home.

 

It was 6:30, and our 2 hour dance class had ended. I wiped the sweat off my forehead and changed my shirt. Waiting for Sehun in the studio as I cooled off.

He walked back in, all freshened up and we took off for that milk tea place he wanted to try.

It wasn't a long walk from the dance academy. You could spot it from the building. It was across the street, to the right. It took all but 3 minutes to walk there.

Sehun walks in first. It was a nice looking little cafe. With a couple people occupying the tables having a snack or a drink.

"You go ahead," I tell Sehun. "I'll save us a seat."

"Are we eating?" He asks me.

"Sure. I'm starved."

Sehun hands me his duffel bag, and I carry it to one of the booths by the window of the small cafe. I placed it in the seat across from me and then took my place. I looked around the shop, it was… nice.

From where I sat, I could easily read the menu. I scanned it hoping to find a "Coffee Milk Tea" listed there somewhere. Sehun only knows it's one of the few flavors I try.

Once I turned towards the counter, though, trying to look for Sehun, I spotted the prettiest looking barista. This person was tending to the person in front of Sehun.

I stared at the barista and watched his or her every move. I wasn't sure if this person was a girl or a boy. The way they smiled, and took the order of the customers, leaving the counter for a minute or so to get and serve drinks. I unashamedly stared.

I wasn't aware of how long I was observing the person until Sehun plops his tray down and calls out to me.

"They have coffee milk tea." He smiles at me.

I totally forgot that was the purpose of my looking towards the counter.

I looked at Sehun's tray. "What did you get?"

"I got a chocolate milk tea and a corn muffin." He says as he takes a seat across me, beside his duffel bag.

"Sehun…" I call out after a moment of silence. "Was your cashier…"

"Oh, you saw?" He cut me off. "Pretty, right?"

I nod.

"He's a boy."

My heart fell. The person I gawked at was male?

"I was shocked too. But I didn't need to ask. He sounded like a guy, and had an adam's apple and all…" Sehun informed me. "Well, aren't you going to order anything?"

"Yeah, umm… I'll be right back." I said as I grabbed my wallet and stood up.

 

I lined up and when it was finally my turn, the pretty, male barista-slash-cashier asked me for my order.

"How may I help you?" He smiled.

I gulped and forgot what to order. "Uhh… can I have a coffee milk tea?"

He frowns. Why was he frowning?

"I'm sorry, our coffee milk tea isn't available right now. Would you like something else to drink?" He asks me politely. I panicked. What was my go-to drink when there was no coffee again? I hadn't thought about it. Like I said, I never liked milk tea.

"W-what do you suggest?" I ask him. That didn't sound cool at all.

He chuckles, "Mmm… should I tell you our best sellers or share my personal favorite?" His eyes twinkled with amusement.

My lips twitched into a grin, "I'm guessing your best sellers are the ones marked with stars," He nods, "So what's your personal favorite?" I ask him.

He chuckles, "The malt milk tea."

"Okay, I'll try that one." I tell him.

"Excellent choice," He smiles, "What size?"

"The large one?" I reply.

He punches it it. "Anything else?"

"What would you recommend for someone who's practically starving?"

"Don't go for the pastries." He humors me. I laugh anyway. "The sandwiches here are pretty good." He points to the savory menu with his thumb.

"I'll get a club sandwich then." I say.

"That'll take 5-10 minutes." He informs me, "We'll just serve it at your table."

I nod. "Sure."

He tells me the price of my order, I give him the exact amount, in which he thanks me and gives me my receipt. He turns around, fixes my drink, brings it to the counter and tells me my sandwich will be served at our table soon. As he hands my drink to me, he casually says, "I'm Taemin, by the way."

"Kai." I simply say, receiving my malt milk tea with a smile.

 

Already, it was my new favorite flavor.

 


So! That was chapter one! I don't a guarantee a quick update! But I'm hopig I get to write the next chapter in the weekend. Lol. I have midterms this week and basically wrote this out because I wasn't in the mood to study anymore. OTL bad student! But!
Tell me what you think, please?
Comments are most definitely appreciated and loved.

I'll try to get a better main image and a nice background, too. XD

Disclaimer: I made up "Dream Tea" and "TeaXpress" I dunno if there are really places with that name. Bubble Tea is this Japanese Bubble Tea place, one of my personal favorite Milk/Bubble Tea places. lol