WHAT?!

A Terrible Misunderstanding

 

It was a busy time for all the SHINee members who were preparing for their comeback, Sherlock. Their schedules were practically filled with dance practices and recordings and interviews etc. They woke up as early as 6 in the morning to get ready and came back tired and exhausted as late as 12 midnight to get some sleep before the next gruelling day. It was almost hell to them, but they knew after this hard time was a long break, so they perservered and pushed on. Onew had once fallen dangerously ill because of overworking and stress. That time was when the SHINee members had a concert in Japan, and fans were commenting that SHINee was performing at their worst during that time, because they were all worried for their leader. And yes, it was true, but once Onew had recovered and was back up on his feet, they happily worked hard together, encouraging one another as they went through hours of scheduled events planned for them. They were a loving family, always taking care of each other, even manager hyung agreed. 

.

.

.

But that all changed one day. That fateful day. SHINee had just finished their concert in Europe and were resting backstage. Then a stage manager called for Onew, and told him that a man wanted to see him. Curious, Onew obeyed and followed the stage manager. The others didn't think much about it as they thought it would be just another after concert interview. After about 20 minutes, Onew came back, with a straight face, and not smiling. Key was already beginning to suspect something and he asked "Hyung is everything okay?" Onew snapped out of his thoughts and gave Key his 10 thousand magawatt smile. "Yeah I'm fine just a little tired" He smiled with rubbing the back of his neck. Tsk. He sayd that almost everyday Key thought. But Key just shook it off and decided not to press on furthur. All of SHINee piled into a van and they headed towards the hotel they were staying in. Manager hyung gave all of them a quick debrief and complimented them for performing well before sending them up to their rooms. The 4 younger members happily trudged up to the VIP room that all of the members share, desiring such needed rest. However the leader stayed behind and he looked kind od nervous. "Er...hyung? Can I talk to you for awhile?" He asked softly. The manager looked at him, a bit concerned. "Sure.." 

Both of them entered one of the hotel's ballrooms that have been boked specially for SHINee for dance practice. Manager sat down on one of the chairs and Onew sat across him. "Well Onew, what's wrong? Is something bothering you?" The manager knew Onew well, as he interacted with him the most. He admired Onew for being strong for the group despite bearing huge responsibilities at such a young age. Most would've just gave up there and then, but Onew hung on for SHINee, so manager gave Onew as much support as he could, getting to know Onew's feelings and his interests and the way he thinks. That way manager could better look out for Onew in case the leader was going through a difficult time. Onew spoke up slowly "After the concert...this man, he wanted to see me...he said he liked my performance and my voice, and he offered me a job in his company, where I sing for many VIPs and the pay is 4 times of what I'm earning now..." Manager hyung gasped. 'Onew....what? You mean you're going to leave? Just like that? You want that man's offer? Are you sure about this? I mean, your contract ends after your comeback but still I thought you would want to renew it..." Onew could feel tears b in his eyes. "Well it's a great opoortunity for me and this kind of job is rare, I might not get this again..."

Up till now, what the both of them did not notice was Jonghyun hiding behind the ballrom door, listening to every word they said. He had come down from their room to look for Onew hyung and he stopped when he heard Onew and manager's voices in the ballroom. He listened in shock when Onew expained about his job opportunity. He had mixed emotions of anger and sadness. He prayed hard that manager hyung's words will convince Onew to stay, but when he heard "Well it's a great opportunoty for me and this kind of job is rare, I might not get this again...", Jonghyun couldn't listen anymore and ran back up to the room, tears threatening to spill just like that. What. Onew hyung just chose that stupid job over us?! Just because he can earn more money?! How can he?! Thinking about Onew being selfish made his blood boil. He burst into the room and the others stared at him in shock, noticing his hurt expression and the tears in his eyes. "Jjong what happened??" Minho asked. Jonghyun decided to let the members know instead of keeping it a secret and he spilled out everything he heard in the conversation between Onew and manager hyung. He then broke out in tears after that. Taemin cried too "Onew hyung...is just gonna leave us?! How can he?! After all we've been though together...." Onew and Taemin shared a close relationship. Taemin would always look for Onew first whenever he had problems, and Onew, always being there for the maknae, would stick by him thick and thin, and the biggest feat was when he did well in his final graduation exams thanks to Onew tutoring him. But now he gave up on him, leaving like there was nothing between them to start with.

Key and Minho felt mostly anger. They started cursing silently in their heads, wondering what the hell was Onew thinking when he had said that. There was a long awkward silence in the room. All were lost in their own thoughts about Onew leaving SHINee. Just then, Onew came back through the door. He paused for awhile when he realised the members were staring at him. He didn't know what to say. "Er...guys? What's wrong? Is there something on my face?" Oh wow, he comes back playing dumb and pretending like it's cool when he going to leave SHINee soon..Minho angrily thought in his head. Minho and Onew shared secrets with each other since they debuted. There wasn't any secret they would keep from each other, and now Onew was keeping this job opportunity from him and quitting. "Oh it's nothing..." Key asid slowly, trying to prompt Onew into telling them what happened. But instead, Onew just awkwardly laughed. "Haha it's late guys, you should get some rest befre we fly back to Seoul tomorrow..Goodnight!" And with that he went into his room and shut the door. The 4 of them stood there in utter despair. "Now what!?" Jonghyun asked annoyed. "We'll just wait till he confesses...." Key muttered, clearly upset. Minho rolled his eyes and slumped down on the couch. "Well have fun waiting, I bet he'll only tell us just before he leaves.....that heartless jerk..." Taemin stood quietly in one corner, afraid of how angry his other hyungs were. he had to admit he was upset that Onew hyung didn't tell them the truth, but he didn't want to deliberately ignored his best friend. But since his hyungs were all in, he was dragged into it too.....

Little did Onew know what was coming for him....