Seven - Princess and the Frog

Baby, Don't Cry

 

He's been staring at the ₩50,000 note in front him for almost an hour now. Jongin leaned, dropped his chin on the table and stared at it some more, thinking that a closer view will help. He was in the library because he heard that if you wanted to think this is where you should be. The place was unfamiliar, never having had the chance to enter one, and quiet. It was perfect if you really want to drive yourself crazy thinking.

"What to do with you?" Jongin asked the note. He wanted to do something special with Kyungsoo without being too obvious so he has to limit the budget to ₩50,000. He thought of asking the short guy out but with just this much they wouldn't get anywhere. They'll probably end up in sidewalk eateries and where's the class in that? He wanted to impress. And now he needed help.

Jongin whipped out his cellphone and called Luhan.

"Jongin? What's up?" said his friend on the other line.

"I just want to ask for advice. Umm, so you know this person, right? The one I talked to you about?"

"Oh, Kyung... yeah, that person."

"Well, I want to do something special for him. I mean I wanna ask him out or something but I don't know what."

"Jongin-ah, I'm not actually the best person to ask right now," Luhan laughed. "I've been trying to get Sehun back but it's currently not working."

"Well, that may have to do with that person..." Jongin mumbled. "Can you think of anything at all?"

"Ummm, I was actually planning on waiting for Sehunnie today. After class, I want to ask him out to the bubble tea place. Get some time together."

"But don't you always go there before?"

"Actually, that's the point. You don't have to go anywhere fancy or anywhere new. I want to go somewhere familiar. I want him to remember how happy we were before all this happened. I took for granted the times we were together drinking bubble tea and talking. I want to have it back because I realized that anything I did and will ever do will be special if it's with him." Luhan said feelingly.

"Now, Luhan don't go crying on me." Jongin teased but he thought Luhan was unto something here. Somewhere familiar, huh?

"I'm sorry." Jongin heard Luhan sniff.

"Since you told me of your plan, I'm gonna make things easier for you later." Jongin said.

"What do you mean?"

"You might have noticed that Kyungsoo is on Mother Alert over Sehun right now."

"Oh. Yes, I did notice."

"So just leave it to me. I'll free the boy from his eomma's clutches after class so you can get him all to yourself."

After a beat, Jongin heard Luhan smother a little laugh. "Thanks for your entirely selfless sacrifice, Jongin."

"Yeah, that's me. Selfless."

"Cause this has definitely nothing to do with that person, right? I mean you're not doing this because if Sehun's out of the way then you can have that person all to yourself."

"Luhan, I can still change my mind." Jongin threatened.

"I'm sorry. Okay. I'll leave it to you." Luhan said but Jongin still can hear the older guy laugh.

"Good luck later." Jongin said.

"Yeah, you, too."

 

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo was busy rummaging through his bag for his cellphone when he almost bumped into Sehun. The three of them - Himself, Sehun and the Devil Incarnate - were walking towards the exit when he saw why Sehun gave him a troubled look. Luhan was there waiting by the doors. Kyungsoo just answered Sehun's look with a shrug. He was also curious of what Luhan has to say so they continued walking.

A few steps more and he felt Jongin pull him to a stop with his arm across his shoulders. He felt himself shiver a little as Jongin leaned close and whispered in his ear.

"I think we should be somewhere else."

Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow at Jongin but didn't argue. Sehun, noticing that his companions stopped walking, turned back to look at Jongin and Kyungsoo.

"Go on without us," Jongin said. "We need to do something." Then he pulled Kyungsoo away, leaving Sehun alone to talk to Luhan.

Kyungsoo can do nothing but go with the boy since he latched his arm on his shoulders and did not let go until they were outside.

"Where do you think you're taking me?" He asked the younger boy.

Jongin took out the ₩50,000 note from his jacket pocket and waved it in front of Kyungsoo's nose. "I decided it's time we used this."

"You decided?" Kyungsoo asked. "Since when do you decide for me?"

"Aw, honey, since I started holding the purse strings." Jongin teased.

"Huh. But isn't that," pointing at the note, "technically my money? So wouldn't it be better if you hand it over and you leave me alone?"

"Now, Princess, thou shall not be too uptight. Live a little."

"And I should listen to you because?"

"I'm a handsome prince ready to save the princess from eternal boredom."

"With ₩50,000?" Kyungsoo asked skeptically.

"Yes, your highness." Jongin gave a confident smile.

 

 

 

 

"I should have known." Kyungsoo said when they stopped in front of a grocery store.

"You should have known what?"

"You'll find a way to use my money, have me do all the work and convince me that I'm doing it for fun."

"Is it working?" Jongin asked.

"No."

"Come on, we're here anyway. And it's been so long since we went here together." Jongin cajoled Kyungsoo as they entered the building.

"It's because the last time we went together, you single handedly destroyed the fruit section. They probably have your picture in their Banned-for-all-eternity list." Kyungsoo smirked.

"Yeah, summer of 2010. Happy times." Jongin said with sideways smile.

Kyungsoo just rolled his eyes. He wasn't sure if it’s a good idea to shop with Jongin especially with just fifty thousand won. He would just have to stir him away from the Sweets section. "What are we buying anyway?"

"Kimchi spaghetti!"

"We just had that the other day."

"Oh, yeah? How about Kimchi spaghetti?"

"You're hopeless."

Jongin just answered him with a mischievous grin. Kyungsoo felt his chest tighten. He should probably have it checked, it’s been happening too many times lately.

"You look like you're having a heart attack." Jongin said pointing at Kyungsoo's chest. Kyungsoo looked down to see that his hand was clutching his shirt over his heart. Kyungsoo loosened his hold. "I'm just nervous, hanging out with a felon and all."

Jongin laughed. "As you should be."

They spent the next half hour playing, or shall he say, Jongin spent the next hour playing his game of Oh, Look!

"Oh, look a can opener with side mirrors!"

"Oh, look milk from a three-legged cow!"

"Oh, look a puppy!"

Kyungsoo sighed. Atleast one of them is having fun. He was kept busy as he had to remove the items as Jongin drops them into the cart. It's like shopping with a three year old. It's a miracle though that Kyungsoo was able to get all the necessary ingredients despite the devil's zooming in and out of the aisles, pointing here and there.

"Last thing we need are onions and we're done." He told Jongin who seemed preoccupied as he stood with his back to Kyungsoo.

"Oh, look," the younger boy said as he turned, “it’s your royal carriage!"

The shorter boy looked at the large sized pumpkin Jongin was holding.

"Oh, look a pumpkin that will end up squashed in your head if you don't put it down this instant so we can finish here." Kyungsoo said, exasperated.

"Oh, look a princess with PMS."

"Oh, look an idiot. Period. "

"Oh, now that was just plain mean." Jongin looked offended.

"Stop fooling around now. Let's go." Kyungsoo turned and pushed the cart towards the counters. Jongin fell into step beside him and promptly put his arms around the older boy's shoulder.

"We look like a married couple already."

Kyungsoo stopped in his tracks and shot a look at Jongin.

"Obviously, I'm the man of the house and you're..."

"If you know what's good for you, shut up."

Jongin laughed but didn't take his arm away. Kyungsoo was once again confused. It's nearing two weeks since Jongin became this way and he's not sure how to react. Yes, they've still been fighting and hurling insults but it feels different. Jongin's different. He threw the boy another glance again as he began to charm the attendant on the counter. He let out another sigh. Jongin's still the same.

 

 

Jongin watched as Kyungsoo washed and prepared the vegetables in their kitchen sink. He's having fun watching him walk to and fro the kitchen table. He really was a great cook. His stomach growled in anticipation. Kyungsoo stopped midstep, looked at his stomach and raised an eyebrow at him. His stomach growled again. The older boy smirked and continued working on his recipe.

Jongin felt flushed. He wanted to kiss that smirk off from Kyungsoo's face. He wanted to touch his cheeks and see his eyes round even larger as he leans down to join their lips. Jongin stood up from his seat at the table. You know what? He'll do just that.

That was the point of their going to the grocers and having this dinner together anyway. Progress. He took Luhan's advice to heart. The place he came up with where they seldom bicker was the kitchen. It's like their standoff place because most of the time Jongin's mouth was filled with food so he doesn't have the time to answer Kyungsoo while the older guy gives him lectures on everything. It was a pretty solid arrangement. As long as his stomach was filled, he had no problems with it. There's still the rest of the dorm to fight in anyway.

"You know, this will be a lot faster if you get off your and actually help me for once." Kyungsoo said while his back was turned from Jongin.

The younger guy walked towards the sink. He doesn't know but he was somehow mesmerized by the view of the back of Kyungsoo's neck. He was pretty sure he's seen it a thousand of times before but it became imperative that he touch it right now. He walked as if he was in a daze.

"I don't really know why I put up with you. You could help with the chores once in a while you know. It's not as if-" Kyungsoo stopped when he felt Jongin's hand touch his neck. "What do you think you're doing?"

Jongin thought Kyungsoo sounded a little breathless. He was feeling a little breathless, too. He held on to the shorter guy's neck with one hand and turned Kyungsoo to face him with the other. He was right. His eyes were almost falling out of its sockets. A small laugh escaped Jongin's lips.

"Ya, Kim Jongin. I said what are you doing?" Kyungsoo looked nervous.

Jongin didn't remove the hand that was on Kyungsoo's neck but instead used it to touch his jaw.  He didn't think it possible but Kyungsoo's eyes seemed to grow bigger.

"Jongin-ah..." Kyungsoo tried to pull away but Jongin's other hand kept him on his place between him and the sink.

"I'm scared." Jongin whispered as he leaned closer. "Cause what if I turn into a frog?"

Jongin tipped Kyungsoo's chin up and saw understanding dawn on his eyes. He wasn't leaning on to Jongin but Kyungsoo wasn't pulling away either. Just a few inches more, Jongin thought...

Lalalalalala.. Lalalalalala...

They both jumped as they heard Kara's Mister filled the room. It was Kyungsoo's cellphone and he reserves that ringtone for only one person. The older boy scrambled to get out of Jongin's grasp to reach for his phone tucked in his bag.

"Hello? Sehunnie?" Kyungsoo looked at Jongin one last time before he went out of the kitchen.

Jongin raked his hand through his hair. He didn't know who to kill first: Sehun for interrupting with his phonecall or Luhan for not keeping Sehun occupied. His growl ended in a frustrated laugh. I'll just get them both.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Wah.. SOOO sorry guys for super slow updates... just so busy with life..

I'm not even sure of what I wrote in this chapter.. is it any good? XD

I think this was a long chapter.. no? Haha. Maybe I just think it is because I had to rewrite scenes over and over again if they don't work for me.

Anyway, I hope to have another chap uploaded tonight or in the wee hours of dawn..>.<

And yeah, This chapter happens around the time when Luhan and Sehun go out to the bubble tea place.