FIVE - We Go Back to the Present

Baby, Don't Cry

 

Kyungsoo was distracted from his composing by the guy infront of him. Jongin seems so quiet. In the span of a few minutes, Kyungsoo watched as different expressions chased across his face. One time he was frowning, then smiling, then scowling and then smirking. 

Good thing he was wearing his cap which partially hid his face from Jongin. He doesn't want the other to know that he has been stealing glances at him for the past half hour. Knowing he'll never finish his song today, Kyungsoo removed his cap and unable to take the Jongin's silence anymore said, "You're creeping me out."

"You always say that." Jongin answered.

"Yeah, but this time more than usual. What's got you so quiet?"

"Well, I was just thinking about.. sweet and fluffy things."

"Like what?" Kyungsoo asked with a raised brow.

"Like you."

"I'm not sweet. And I'm never fluffy." Kyungsoo said with a scowl.

"Come on. You can't deny it. The way you talked to Sehun earlier, giving him advise on how to deal with Luhan. Your sweet." Jongin walked towards him and sat beside him on the piano seat and patted Kyungsoo's head. "And fluffy."

Kyungsoo can feel a blush coming on. "Stop saying that! I just wanted to help him out with Luhan. That doesn't make me sweet, that makes me his friend."

"Just saying..." Jongin said with a shrug. "So how's the song going?"

Kyungsoo was still a little bit flustered. He was not used to Jongin being this way. "It was going along fine. Was. But Sehun took my cap earlier right? Crazy kid."

Jongin reached for Kyungsoo's cap. He turned it this way and that and even looked underneath it. "This Thinking Cap of yours, will I be able to write a song too if I wear it?"

"You can wear a hundred caps but you won't be able to." Kyungsoo said with a smug smile.

Jongin just laughed and wore the cap sideways and cupped his chin with his right thumb and index finger. "Dark blue does suit me though, right?"

Kyungsoo couldn't look away. His heart was beating so fast. What is this? Why isn't Jongin answering back? Why is he smiling this way?

"I only said I look good in blue, I didn't say I'm an axe murderer. Why do you look so horrified?" Jongin teased.

Kyungsoo shook his head and mumbled. "Isn't that the same thing?"

"You're finished here right? Let's go home." Jongin stood up.

"No. I still have things to do. Go first. I won't be able to cook dinner, so just get something to eat on your way. And yeah, I already did the laundry last night and I saw your socks on my things, disgusting really, but they're clean now so just go get them from the pile on top of my bed. Don't mess anything up, you hear? Your shoes, there's a reason why the cabinet is near the door. Got it?"

"Yes, eomma." Jongin said with a grin.

Kyungsoo just rolled his eyes at the other's impertinence.

"Just hurry up here and go home, ok? I'll wait for you so we can eat together." Jongin took off the cap and replaced it askew on top of Kyungsoo's head. To his surprise, Jongin tenderly patted his right cheek before walking towards the door.

"Alright, who are you? What did you do to Jongin?"

The other just chuckled and waved without turning back. Kyungsoo watched as he left. He touched the spot that Jongin's hand patted.

Kyungsoo forced himself to stand up and fix his things. He can't spend the next hour analyzing Jongin to death. For the past five years that Kyungsoo attempted to, he's nowhere near understanding what's going on in that head of his. Maybe what happened today was just a new tactic for Jongin to get Kyungsoo riled. He's not exactly riled but he sure as hell is confused which makes him annoyed.

He fixed the cap on his head, his mother's gift to him. She had a matching one, too. They used to wear it together when they are writing songs. When he's wearing it he feels as if he is connected with his eomma. It's been five years but the pain is still as fresh as it was when his mom passed away and was taken from the hospital bed.

It was so lonely living alone but it was better than living with his aunt the first few weeks. They were always checking up on him, he didn't have any room to breathe. He decided to return to their house. It hurts to be reminded what he lost everyday, especially when he wakes up and he can no longer hear his mom busy in the kitchen preparing his breakfast. He has to do everything on his own from then on.

But then he was given the gift of friends in the form of Chanyeol and, yes, Jongin. He will never in a million years admit it but Jongin helped him a lot. For a few moments everyday, he'll be so busy bickering with him that he forgets that he's alone.

It was great when Sehun and Luhan joined their group. He had an additional kid to scold  (Sehun is just that, a kid) and an older friend who can relate with him. That's why he wanted everything to work out for Luhan and Sehun. In this crazy world, they really deserve each other.

Just then, Kyungsoo's cellphone vibrated:

I'll be waiting for you at the gates.

Kyungsoo finished with arranging the piano. He can't be late for this meeting. For the first time Joonmyeon-hyung was free to mentor him today. He needed help for his end of the year requirement and in Composition, his senior was undoubtedly the best.

He really has got lots to do so he shouldn't be distracted by inconsequential things like light pats on the cheek and mischievous smiles no matter how sweet or cute they were.

 

 

 

 

He was floating on a freaking bubble and he may look like the worst sort of idiot but Jongin doesn't care. He was happy and he really felt like dancing in the street but he realized he was doing that already so he just grinned some more.

Good thing that it was just a short walk from the university to their dorms or he would've met all sorts of accidents along the way seeing as he couldn't be bothered to focus on where he was going.

It's been eight months since he began college and started dorming with Kyungsoo. Up until this day he is still surprised that the short guy agreed to share quarters with him. Well it may have been because he convinced Chanyeol and Sehun to help him haul his things in Kyungsoo's dorm without permission from the owner himself but after the initial shrieking and stomping and more shrieking, Kyungsoo agreed.

When it came to choosing who to live with, Chanyeol or Kyungsoo, it was really no choice at all. He really didn't look closely at what the reasons were that time but he was happy he made it. Cause who knew right? Who knew he'd ever feel this way?

He remembered the conversation he had with Luhan the other day, the one that made him completely undone. His real intent on finding the older guy was to maybe talk some sense into him because he was really tired of Sehun be his tragic love story everyday during practice and there's only so much a friend could take. He never knew he'd be shaken as well.

 

Jongin found Luhan in the park swings wearing the same expression as Sehun: lovesick. He sat on the swing beside Luhan's and casually started the conversation.

"I knew I'd find you here. Fine day, huh?" He said.

Luhan smiled at him. "Yeah. I didn't expect to see you. Don't you have practice?"

"Well, I was supposed to have one but my dancing partner can't lift his off the practice room. Something about wallowing and being sorry for himself. That sorta stuff." Jongin teased Luhan. He wanted to see how the older guy would react.

"Is he... Is Sehunnie okay?" Luhan looked ready to cry.

"Well, he's not eating well lately so he kinda lost weight. He's always staring off to god knows where and keeps on blabbering about heartache and sorrow. Pretty intense." Jongin said with a snort.

"I see." Luhan said looking a little insecure.

Jongin decided to take the soul-searching to another notch. Yeah, call him the love guru. "But enough about that puppy. I actually came here to ask for advice." Jongin started. "You see, I'm having a problem with a certain person. I need you to answer me honestly."

"Do I know the person?"

The younger guy actually wanted to describe Luhan and Sehun's relationship in a third person's point of view just so Luhan can look at their relationship objectively, but  when Jongin started to speak it was someone else's story he told. Because it was someone else's face on his mind.

"Uh.. Let's not be too honest then." Jongin said with a little laugh. "There's this guy I know. .. He's temperamental but he's also sweet in his own way. He takes care of me even as he scolds me for injuring myself. Most of the time he thinks I'm an idiot but he still puts up with me."

"From what you told me it's obvious that he cares about you." Luhan answered.

Yeah, his little friend does care doesn't he? "Actually, I know he cares. But what I want to know is if I love him or if I just care for him. I'm so new at this. Are there certain guidelines? Are there rules?" Jongin asked seriously, voicing out for the first time the questions that have been plaguing him for so quite some time now.

"There are no rules, I guess you just have to trust what you feel." Luhan shrugged.

"I'm still young. And this person thinks I'm immature. Can I really just trust my feelings?" It was Jongin's turn to feel insecure. "Is it really love when all you could think about is spending time with that person? Is it love when a smile from him makes everything fade away? Is it.. love when you look in each other's eyes and there's a sudden urge to look away because if you won't you'll probably drown in happiness?" Jongin eyes rounded. He probably looked like Kyungsoo now but he couldn't help it. I love him? I. Love. Him?

"I think you just realized the answer." Luhan said with a sympathetic smile.

"Shoot... I didn't expect that." Jongin shook his head. "But do you believe it? Do you really think so? Even if I'm young, I'm stupid and I'm... me?"

"If he loves you, I think it won't matter to him anyway." Luhan answered.

"But it mattered to you, right? Was that why you didn't accept Sehunnie?" Jongin wanted to make sure and because finally he remembered this was more about Sehun and Luhan than him.

"I.. "

"He really loves you, you know. Even if he's young, and stupid and he's... him." Jongin said with a smile. Jongin felt he said all he could for his two friends. He stood up to leave. It's time he sorts out his own feelings, cause honestly he was still reeling from it all.

Jongin took a few steps away when he heard Luhan call out. "Actually, it mattered to me because I... I love him for it."

"That's what I wanted to hear." Jongin left. It's what I'll want to hear from Kyungsoo, too.

 

When Jongin first met Kyungsoo he was sure all he wanted was to not see those tears fall from those doe eyes of his. He never wanted to see him sad like that ever again. So he kept on pestering the shorter boy - teasing him, aggravating him- cause if he's too busy exchanging insults with Jongin, he'll have no time to be sad, right?

He didn't know when it all changed. Jongin didn't know when he started to want Kyungsoo's eyes to look at him. He was so baffled when he realized that the highlight of his day was when he was sparring with his non-friend. So what was a stupid boy to do but continue.

Now the problem is he's at a loss of what to do next. How can he possibly let Kyungsoo know about these... feelings? Look what happened when he tried to be sweet on him earlier. He looked ready to bolt so Jongin let it rest.

Sometimes, it get's tiring though. It's tiring to hurl insults and bicker with him when all he wants is to hold Kyungsoo close. What he told Luhan was true. He really has to look away from Kyungsoo's large eyes sometimes cause he'll probably giggle like a five-year-old girl and then where will he be? Kyungsoo thinks he's crazy enough as it is.

He reached their dorm a few moments more. Jongin knew that he'll find the place as immaculate as always. He really was spoiled. There was always Kyungsoo who cooks for him and cleans after him and... Jongin stopped in midthought. Maybe it's time he does the same.

 

 

 

a/n: For my readers, remember this conversation of Jongin and Luhan from What is Love? :)