THREE - The Non-Friendship Progresses

Baby, Don't Cry

Jongin was hurt. Again. He had another injury in his waist but not because of his sister this time. It's because of the hulking giant who's sitting beside him in the park bench.

"I'm sorry." The tall boy said for the hundredth time.

"It's okay, Chanyeol." Jongin assured his... friend, i guess. The boy still look worried.

"I really didn't mean to topple all over you. It's just well, as you know, I'm clumsy. That's why my mom had me join the dance classes. She says that it will help me be coordinated and all." Chanyeol explained.

Jongin looked heavenward. "Save us all."

"What? I'm really sorry."

"I told you, it's okay. I'm used to it." Jongin sighed. "But do you really want to dance?"

"Honestly? No. I'd rather play the drums or the guitar. Atleast I don't get to hurt people when I play."

"Then why don't you tell your mom about it?"

"Because she'll be disappointed. She's really nice and all but when she wants something, she turns rabid." Chanyeol said with a shrug.

"She wants you to become a dancer?" Jongin asked incredulously.

"Umm... No. She wants to go out with our teacher, Mr. Lee."

"Ahhh..." Jongin doesn't know what to say. "Aren't your parents..?"

"They're divorced. And I'm currently in between a tug of war."

"That's just sad." Jongin patted the tall boy's back.

"I know. But it's better than nothing right? Atleast I still have them both. Unlike others who lose their parents..."

Chanyeol continued to talk but Jongin's mind was on another matter. He remembered the last time he talked with Kyungsoo about parents and all the stupid things he said came back to haunt him. How can he be so insensitive?

He wanted to approach Kyungsoo alot of times since that day, but he was so busy what with his full schedule of classes... Chicken. He just really didn't know what to say.

Jongin wondered why he cared anyway. It's not as if they were friends. You can actually call them Best Not-friends. It's just he feels a certain pride everytime he sees Kyungsoo smirk at him. Because for a time, he can help erase the sadness he first saw in boy's eyes.

"Yeah. and when did I become this sentimental?" Jongin asked himself.

As if his mind conjured the boy, Jongin looked up to see Kyungsoo walking along the park path near them. He was surprised when Chanyeol stood up and waived crazily at the small guy.

"Yo, Kyungsoo! Do Kyungsoo!" He called happily. Jongin saw Kyungsoo's frown turn into a small smile when he recognized who was calling him. But then, the frown came back when Kyungsoo saw who Chanyeol was with. With a small wave to Chanyeol, Kyungsoo went on his way leaving Jongin a little annoyed.

"Yeah, act like you don't know me." Jongin muttered. He turned to Chanyeol and asked, "You know him?"

"Kyungsoo? Yup. We're neighbors. His mom and him used to come to our house every Saturday for our moms' afternoon tea. He used to play piano and sing for us when there's a party or something. Pity though that his mom passed away so early." Chanyeol explained sadly.

"Where is he living now?"

"I think he stayed with his aunt for a while after the funeral but after a few days I saw him back at their house. I guess, it's only his now."

"So he's living alone?"

"I guess so. Why? Do you know him, too?"

"Not really." Jongin shrugged.

"A pity also what happened last saturday at the mayor's event." Chanyeol looked at the sky and paused. And paused some more. Jongin wanted to strangle him.

"You can continue anytime now."

"Oh, cause Kyungsoo was invited to sing. We all know how popular he is. He was like a guest of honor there. My mom was going on and on with her friends about how perfect his voice is. Near the end of the event he was called to the stage and we were all waiting for him to sing as the music started. But he just stood there. Like he was frozen nor something. I saw people pointing at him and whispering. And then he just ran down the stage and left."

Bunch of idiots. Jongin thought. How can they ask him to sing when he just lost his mother?

"That's also why I know he is having a hard time now. I saw some boys making fun of him as he passed through them in school. They were saying such mean things!" Chanyeol said indignantly.

"Like what?" Jongin asked feeling a little angry himself.

"Like calling him the singer who can't sing. They're calling him cry baby, too. They're saying he embarassed the mayor infront of high officials."

Jongin felt his fists clench. He wanted to smack those kids. He shouldn't care though. When did he appoint himself knight in shining armor?

"I was about to tell them off myself but Kyungsoo saw me and shook his head. I guess, he doesn't want any scene."
"Retards." Jongin said.

Chanyeol was a little surprised with the anger he felt behind Jongin's words. "I thought you didn't know Kyungsoo."

"I don't."

"Then why are you so affected?"

Jongin just kept his silence cause he doesn't really know why either.
 

 



It was a wednesday and the third day of hell for Kyungsoo as he walked through the school to get to the music room. He could feel the stares and whispers following him as he passed through the corridors. He told himself he could take all the things that they would say about him, but after three days his resolve was frayed.

It wasn't really the snickering or the condescending looks that's bothering him. What he didn't want were the pitying looks that some people were sending his way. He used to walk through school proudly but now... he hates it.

He hates that he had to freeze up infront of the mayor and all those important people. He hates that his throat closed up cause for the first time he realized his mom wouldn't be there to watch him sing. She wouldn't be there to hug him and feel proud of him after. Kyungsoo felt tears gather behind his eyes. They were right, he was a stupid cry baby. He decided to go to the boys' comfort room first to wash his face.

Inside, he looked himself in the mirror, glad he was alone. I am a mess. He told the Kyungsoo in the mirror. He was tracing the lines on his face when in the corner of his eyes he saw his name written on the wall:

DO KYUNGSOO - PERFECT , LOSER, SISSY, CRY BABY... the words connected by lines that formed a web of hurtful words around his name.

To be fair, his name isn't the only one on that graffiti wall. But it's the first time he was ever in it. He tried to erase the writings with water but the ink won't budge. After a few tries, Kyungsoo gave up. Who cares anyway?

Well, he didn't. So he went back to the comfort room eveyday to check what other words were added and just to check if he still felt the same way; nothing. He was surprised though when on Friday morning he saw new writings around his name.

Someone encircled the word SISSY and wrote: ONE WHO WROTE THIS IS AN IDIOT. Another circle was made around LOSER and it said: ONE WHO WROTE THIS HAS BRAINS THE SIZE OF A PEA. On CRYBABY he wrote : YOU MUST BE PEABRAIN'S BRO, YEAH? And on PERFECT it said : THIS IS NOT EVEN AN INSULT MORON, DO KYUNGSOO IS PERFECT.

Kyungsoo traced the word perfect. What ugly handwriting, he thought with a smile. Who cares? Apparently, someone did.

Kyungsoo walked outside with a lighter heart.

Kyungsoo's mood was still good four days later as he was walking home from school. He actually made progress with his eomma's song. Just two lines, but it was better than nothing.

He was still lost in thought when someone bumped into him. A very tall and awkward someone. "Chanyeol?"

"Woah, Do Kyungsoo!" Chanyeol greeted him loudly.

"Uhmm. You can drop the Do, you know."

"But I like the Do..It's swag."

"Uh." Honestly Kyungsoo didn't know what to say so he just remained quiet.

"Going home? Sorry for bumping into you, as you can see I'm a bit overladen." Kyungsoo directed his gaze at the books in Chanyeol's arms.

"Catching up on your studies?"

"No. Actually it's for drama class. We're doing Shakespeare."

"And these books are for...?"

"Research. We're doing a play. A musical actually."

Kyungsoo was surprised. He thinks, actually he knows, that Chanyeol isn't any good in singing or dancing. "You're in it?"

"Yeah. I'm the tree-slash-assistant manager. It's a pretty important part. The lovers die infront of the tree." Chanyeol said seriously.

"You need this much book for your part?" Kyungsoo asked doubtfully.

"Oh, these? No. They're actually for Jongin. He's the prince."

"And he asked you for these books?" The smaller guy asked incredulously.

"Well, no to that either. I just thought that since I'm the assistant manager, I have to support my actors. Thus the books."

"Uh, goodluck with that." Kyungsoo was about to turn away when Chanyeol stopped him.

"Do Kyungsoo, since you know more about this than me, can you like help me a bit?"

"Ah..."

"Please?" Chanyeol smiled pleadingly. It looked more creepy than pleading but hey, it's Chanyeol. "I really need to do well on this. It's the only way my mom would let me off those stupid dancing lessons."

The short boy really wanted to say no but the taller boy's expression was so earnest and expectant that he didn't have the heart to.

"Okay." The moment he said it, Kyungsoo wanted to snatch the word back. Because just behind Chanyeol, strutting like a damn model is the Prince.

"Yo, Chanyeol!" Jongin called out. Kyungsoo was consoled a little when Jongin faltered in his steps as he saw Kyungsoo when Chanyeol turned to look at him. It was gratifying to see the boy hesitate before coming to them.

"Hey, Jongin! I just convinced Do Kyungsoo to help us with the play." Chanyeol said with a pat on Kyungsoo's shoulder.

"You did?" He asked Chanyeol but Jongin's gaze was directed to Kyungsoo.

"Yup, so he's coming to our practice today." Chanyeol announced.

"What? Hey, I didn't know I have to come today." Kyungsoo felt trapped.

"It's okay if you don't want to go. Seeing as you must be busy yourself. No one wants to burden you or anything. It's not as if.." Jongin rambled on.

"Fine. I'm not the villain here so shut up already."

Jongin just answered him with a smug smile. Chanyeol then proceeded to walk towards his house, with Kyungsoo and Jongin trailing a few steps behind. He didn't want to walk with Jongin but Chanyeol has big steps. So there.

"About the other day. I'm sorry." Jongin said quietly.

"Forget it." Kyungsoo said disconcerted that the boy will apologize to him. Kyungsoo stole a glance at Jongin and quickly looked away as the younger guy smiled at him.

"You're amazingly quiet." Jongin said.

"I'm just thinking we're near the river. You know, fish, drowning, obnoxious boys and all?"

"Oh, yeah?" The obnoxious boy just laughed at him.