Take Over

I Don’t Wanna Be Your Friend

 

You can feel a soft and plush cushion behind your back with silk fabrics wrapping your body that trapped every warmth in. As you rolled over to your side, a scent of vanilla engulfed the pillows while your nostrils picked up a musky scent that belonged to a man’s perfume. ‘Wait… This is isn’t our room… What the ?’

Your eyes shot wide open when reality dawned on you. A chandelier looked down on you while a maid stood stiffly on the edge of the bed. You peeked inside the sheets and your mouth opened upon seeing the pair of Adidas tracksuit you’re wearing.

You quickly sat up and spoke to the maid. “Ermmm… Juhgiyo? Where am I?” you asked shyly.

“Annyeong haseyo agashi. This is Sehun-shi’s mansion. He brought you here and I was the one who changed your wet clothes. You will catch a cold if you wear them to sleep.”

“Kamsahamnida… But where is he now?”

“He went back to school.”

The clock is ten minutes before four. Sungmin will be out in just a few and you’re still in Sehun’s house.  You quickly jumped out of bed and wore the flip flops laid on the floor. “Where are you going?" the maid asked.

“I need to pick up my brother. Where’s my backpack by the way?”

“It’s over here, miss…” she walked into a nearby table, grabbed your backpack and handed it to you. “A car is waiting outside and the driver will bring you anywhere you like…” she added.

‘It really does pay to be rich.’ You then bowed to the maid. “Kamsahamnda!” and after she bowed, you dashed out of the room and sprinted through the carpeted hallway.

The staircase was magnificent in gold and a glass waterfall stood in the middle of the lobby. You took a quick glimpse with jaws dropped while running towards a tall wooden door.

You stopped in front of a black Cadillac Escalade and a butler opened the doors. “This is my ride?” you asked. “Ye agashi.” he smiled.

“Kamsahamnida.” you bowed to him after and even if you’re in a hurry, you carefully climbed into the luxurious SUV.

“Where to, miss?” the driver asked.

You leaned closer to the driver “To our school please? And I hope it’s not much to ask but would it be possible if you can drive faster? My brother should be waiting already.” you asked shyly.

“But of course! Anything for such a nice young lady.”

“Kamsahamnida.”

He immediately stepped on the gas and you fell back on the cushioned seats.

You passed through several huge houses in the posh neighborhood. Tall trees guided the sidewalk where a few residents jogged. The park was filled with blooming flowers that you haven’t seen before and you wondered if you’re still in Korea.

The car slowed down upon nearing the school. You slung your backpack on one shoulder and got ready to make a run as soon as it stops. “Kamsahamnida ahjusshi!” you beamed and he waved at you. “Anytime! Be careful, okay?” and the car stopped.

“Neh!”

You sprinted towards Sungmin’s classroom and saw him standing outside while drawing random shapes on the floor with his foot.

“Sungmin-ah!” you called.

Kai was making his way out when he saw you running through the gate and stopped in front of a boy. He hid behind a wall to watch you both. ‘That must be her brother, Sungmin.’

“Noona!?” he looked at you from head to toe. “Why aren’t you in your uniform? And why did you come through the gate? You’re supposed to come through that way.” He pointed to where the high school students stay.

You dropped your backpack on the floor and kneeled in front of him. “I had to skip the rest of my class.”

“Wae yo?”

Kai’s chest burned once again. The whole accident played all over and he was reminded how stupid and foolish he was.

“I fell on the pool during lunch break.” she said and Kai’s heart fell. He can’t believe what he just heard. How can you lie to your brother for someone as evil as him?  His nails could almost burrow the wall trying to grasp it.

“Mwoh? Gwenchana?” Sungmin suddenly cried and hugged you.

You wrapped your arms around his shaking shoulders and his back. “Aigoo~ I’m okay. Noona is here. Miahnae Sungmin-ah… Stop crying already. Ssshh… Noona is not hurt at all.”

He slowly pulled away rubbing his eyes. “Really?”

“Neh… An angel came and pulled me out of the water. He was strong just like you.” you wiped his tears and his smile slowly came back.

“Was it Sehun hyung? DO hyung?” he sniffed. For him, those two are what he only considers his hyungs and your angel.

“Ani! It was someone else. I’ll introduce you to him when you meet.”

“Does it mean I’ll have another hyung?” and you nodded. “YESS!” he rejoiced.

“Now, let’s go to the club. I still have to work.” you wiped his face with the sleeve of your jacket.

“Noona, can we buy ice cream on the way?”

You took out your wallet from your backpack and saw it was empty. “I’m out of cash… How ‘bout this, let’s go straight to the club and ask some money from Teddy oppa. Is that okay?”

“Sure!” he replied.

You slung your backpack as you stood, held his hand and left.

Kai slid down the wall and brought both knees to his chest, sinking his face in between them. A million thoughts rammed his brain. The sufferings he brought upon you, an innocent boy crying because of his stupidity, the girl who works at night while enduring all the drunk people yet still unable to provide a mere ice cream for her brother.

‘Stop messing up Jongin! !!!’ and balled his fists.

----------

EXO arrived early in the club and stayed in their usual booth. Sehun and Baekhyun leaned on the railings watching the crowd while the rest of them sat and drank. Girls approached them but they all refused. Even Chanyeol who spent most of his time grinding with a girl, preferred to stay and hang out.

You came out of the office with your uniform on. Alex’s face lit up when he saw you since the bar is getting crowded already but heard you coughing on the way in. “Gwenchana?” he asked.

“N-Neh…” you croaked with a hoarse voice. You massaged your throat and tried gulping down warm water but it didn’t help.

“I guess you should just take a rest. I’ll cover for you.” he said.

“No need sunbae! I’ll be fine!” your throat throbbed with every word you say.

“Yah! You sound like a chain smoker on crack… Are you sure?”

“Mhmmm…” you lied. The smoke and different scents of strong perfumes made you dizzy the moment you stepped in the club. Your head started to whirl but you shook it away after popping a medicine.

Baekhyun saw you moving around the bar. He nudged Sehun and they both left after seeing you.

You cleared your throat after they sat on the bar stools. “What can I get you?”

“Yah! Gwenchana?” Sehun asked. “Other than sore throat, I’m okay…” you forced a smile when your head started to throb again.

“Cass beer please!” Baekhyun blurted. “I’m good…” Sehun added.

You turned to grab a beer and handed it to Baekhyun.

Sehun noticed you keep on rubbing your forehead and heaving a sigh from time to time so he suddenly jumped down the stool. He ducked under the counter as he walks toward the bar.

“What are you doing?” you croaked.

He faced Alex and yelled. “Hyung! Can I take over for her?” and your eyes widened.

“Go ahead!” he raised a thumb.

Sehun pushed you out of the bar and Baekhyun stood as well joining them behind the counter.

“Not you as well?” you added and he just shrugged.

You sat where Baekhyun left and watched them with eagle eyes since the club’s reputation lies in the hands of two noob bartenders.

But right after they stepped in, girls flocked the whole area buying drinks and they kept on coming back. Alex was too delighted given the sudden influx of y drunk females while Baekhyun and Sehyun were surprisingly having fun.

“What’s going on?” Teddy suddenly appeared beside you while glaring at his new bartenders.

“Ermm… They volunteered to replace me just for tonight.” and he no longer complained after hearing your voice.

The boys stopped for a bit and bowed to Teddy. “Annyeong haseyo!” they greeted.

“Oppa, they’re my friends. He’s Baekhyun and that’s Sehun. Guys, meet my Uncle Teddy.” he waved and the boys went back working. “Are you mad?” you asked.

“Since they bring in a lot of dough, it’s all good.” he eyed the crowded bar. “Just make sure they don’t mess up… Oh and take some medicines for your throat. You sound horrible!”

“I will!” he pinched your cheek and left.

You then placed both arms on the counter and rested your chin on top of it as you watch the boys happily moving around. Baekhyun flirted with the girls and would sometimes slip a piece of paper in his back pocket.

“One with the most numbers after tonight wins!” he told Sehun.

“Call!” and you just rolled your eyes. “Booyyysss…” you shook your head but winced when it throbbed again.

EXO got intrigued at the sudden commotion in the bar. Chanyeol stood and peeked. “Take a look at these!” and they all stood.

“Woah! How can they have so much fun while we’re stuck in here?” DO whined.

Kai, Kris and Suho went back to the lounge and continued talking later joined by the jealous DO and bored Chanyeol.

Alex received EXO’s order but handed it to Baekhyun. “Can you take this up to your friends? I’m a bit busy. Sorry…”

Baekhyun was about to leave carrying a try of five beers but you stopped him. “I’ll do it!” your voice got worse and words are hardly audible.

“No! You stay here!” he demanded.

“I’ll let one of bouncers kick you out if you won’t let me. Besides, I feel so useless already. So hand it over!” you pleaded.

“Fine!” he then handed you the tray.

You slowly made your way to the VIP booth swiftly moving through the crowds.

Kris stood and grabbed the tray from you while DO pulled you beside him making you sit.

“Sunmi-ah? What are those two doing behind the counter?” he asked.

 You cleared your throat but it only burned. “They’re taking over for me tonight.”

Their eyes widened at the sound of your voice. Kai felt guilty even more while Kris looked at you all worried. “Gwenchana?” he asked and you lightly nodded.

But your head is about to split into two. You close your eyes to it in and almost spaced out when DO held your hand.

“You should just rest. We’ll cover for you if you want.” Suho spoke.

“I’m fine… I swear!”

“Fine my ! Your hands are freezing and you’re having cold sweat. Do you even realize that?” DO scolded you

“I’m okay. I already took some medicines…” you stood so you can leave and avoid further arguments.

Just as you reached the next booth, your head throbbed again and did not notice a drunk teenager. You bumped into him and fell on the floor upon hitting his brick-walled back.

Kris quickly stood and helped you up. “You should take a rest.” he whispered. “I’m okay…”

“Watch it !” the boy growled and the rest of EXO quickly left their seats. Kai stood beside Kris while Suho, DO and Chanyeol stood behind you.

The angelic face of Kris has completely disappeared after hearing his words. He turned into a raging bull ready to charge unto some unfortunate soul.

He managed to smile at you before passing you over to DO who stood behind him and faced the drunken culprit.

“What did you say?” he hissed.

“That she’s a ?” the guy looked at you for a bit but Kai blocked him. “She’s one nice piece of meat and I’d definitely tap that … But she’s just some worthless bartender...” he smirked then another buffed guy stood behind him.

And so the devil himself emerged. Kai’s fists are itching to mangle the guy’s face. His eyes turned red as it hurled daggers of stares to him. He doesn’t care anymore if his dad will force him to join the army as long as the bastard pays.

Kris rubbed his chin and his lower lip. “You’re just gonna have a taste of hell. Mother er!” he stepped back and punched the guy straight in the face. He fell and Kris lunged on top of him.

His companion was about to kick Kris but Kai grabbed him and delivered an uppercut. He fell right away and Kai also lunged on him.

They both throw punches on their opponents face until they were almost unrecognizable from the blood oozing out of it while everyone on the ground watch the action. Sehun and Baekhyun were used to see them fight so they just ignored them.

“Kris! Kai! Stop it!” you tried to yell while DO held on to your arms but they can barely hear you. “Please stop them!” you pleaded Chanyeol and Suho.

As much as they want to let the losers suffer, they had to stop their friends from getting into deep trouble for they might just end up killing them.

But Kris and Kai are just too strong from the adrenaline and fury. Chanyeol and Suho didn’t stand a chance until two huge bouncers accompanied by Teddy came.

“Yah! Break it off!” his thunderous voice echoed through the club and they finally stopped. Chanyeol grabbed Kai while Suho pulled Kris.

“Don’t you ever talk to her like that again! You piece of !” Kris hissed at the unconscious guy being dragged away.

“That’s enough!” Teddy added and turned to face the crowd. “Show is over people! Let’s party!” he howled and everything came back to normal.

Teddy turned again to face you. “We need to talk.”

The rest of EXO sat back on the booth while they watch you and Teddy talk by the railings.

‘Hope she won’t get into trouble. Aish! Jongin! When will you ever learn?’ Kai fidgeted.

‘Please don’t be mad at her. Blame it all on me…’ Kris started to get uneasy as well.

“Are you mad?” you asked.

“I’m not… Those s deserve it for calling you names. But don’t tell your friends they got away with it just like that, they might get the idea that I tolerate violence in this club.”

“I understand.”

“You should get home and rest. I’ll have Mino come in early.”

“Okay…” he then turned to the bar and signaled for Sehun to come up.

Sehun came in a flash and Teddy placed an arm around him. “Can you take her and Sungmin home?”

“Sure! I always do…” Sehun then stood beside you. “Hyung! Just place the damages on my tab.” he added.

“Nah. It’s okay. You and Baekhyun have done enough already. Komawo!” he then lightly taps Sehun’s arm.

“Sorry about everything oppa.” you croaked. “Don’t worry about it. Just get better, okay?” you nodded and Teddy went back to the dj booth.

You and Sehun then walked to EXO. “What did the owner say?” Suho asked.

“The owner is my uncle…” you forced the words out of your mouth. Kai facepalmed and the rest of them were stunned.

“Mwoh? Then what did he say? Did he get mad?” Chanyeol added.

“He did but it’s all good. Don’t worry about it…” you lied.

“You’re such a bad liar.” Sehun whispered. He then placed an arm around your shoulder. “I’ll just take her and Sungmin home. I’ll be back.”

You bowed to them and started to leave when all of them stood. “Where are you going?” you asked DO.

“I dunno about them…” he pointed at the rest of EXO. “…but I’m taking my little brother home.” while the rest of them shrugged.

You were too tired to protest and just let them follow you to the back of the club.

Suho snapped his fingers at Baekhyun as you all pass the bar and he instantly followed you as well. Sehun went out of the office carrying Sungmin like a baby. You took out his jacket from your backpack and wrapped it around him.

EXO watches you pull the hood over Sungmin who is resting his head on Sehun’s shoulder. “Aigoo, they can totally pass a couple.” Chanyeol whispered to Baekhyun. “Mhmm…”

“Sehun-ah, I’ll carry him instead.” DO offered.

“Okay… Be careful he might wake up.” he gently moved Sungmin over to DO but the boy flinched and spoke.

“Hyung… I want ice cream…” and went back to sleep. DO rubbed his back while all of you chuckled. “Uwaaaa~ Your brother must be in ice cream land right now.” Chanyeol whispered and you giggled.

You and EXO walked down the alley to your apartment. Baekhyun is with DO walking ahead while you and Sehun trailed them and the rest of them are behind you.

“Sehun-ah, do you really have to hold her hand?” Chanyeol teased.

“Wae? Are you jealous? If you want you can hold the other one!”

“Jinja? Cool!” just as he was about to reach for you free hand, Suho yanked him back. “Maybe not…” he muttered.

“How are you feeling?” Sehun asked.

“Tired and sleepy…”

“Want me to carry you?”

“No! I can manage…”

But the throbbing pain in your head is at it again. This time, it’s worse. It weakened your knees and drained all the remaining strength in your body. You felt Sehun’s hand slipped away as he moved towards DO to check on Sungmin.

Your legs no longer functioned and gave up on you.

Kris saw you wobble and caught you just in time you hit the ground.

“Woah… I got you!” he whispered and just fell asleep right away.

Kris placed an arm under your knees and another around your shoulders as he lifted you up. You sunk your head in his firm chest and it felt like sleeping in the clouds. ‘Good night Sunmi!’

He carried you with ease up stairs while Kai watched in envy.