Drowning

I Don’t Wanna Be Your Friend

 

The teacher gave you a spare time so you can discuss with your respective partners about your topic. Everyone paired up already but you remained on your seat. You dreaded to see Kai’s face and already decided to make the project all by yourself while he slumped on his seat thinking of a way to approach you.

You were about to start with your project when you forgot something. “Seonsaengnim? Can I go to the library? I just need some reference about our myth, Orpheus and Eurydice.”

“Sure… Just get back here as soon as you’re done.” he said.

“Neh!” you grabbed your backpack and quickly stood.

Kai saw you leaving and hurriedly stood as well.

“Mr. Kim where are you going?” the teacher asked.

“Going with her of course! She’s my partner.” he pointed at you who just walked out the door.

“Ahh… Okay…” then he sprinted.

You felt someone is following you not just because of the footsteps, but the aromatic and refreshing scent of his perfume. ‘Damn… If only your attitude is as nice as you smelled…’ you sighed.

Kai walked behind with hands inside his pocket and kept following you until you snapped. “What do you want?” you yelled after turning to face him.

He was shocked when your voice rang through the hallway. “Geez! What’s with the temper! I’m just trying to pass Literature.”

“I can do everything. You can go back now!” you turned towards the library but he still followed.

“I hate owing people the most so whether you like it or not, we’ll work on this together!”

He was walking too close behind you that when you turned again, he forgot to stop and bumped into each other. Your faces are just inches away. Staring at each other as if time has stopped, the world stood still, and everything froze.

Kai was left breathless at your captivating eyes. He can see through you. The hate you have for him is written all over it but he’s willing to take it all away.

“Can I keep you?”  he whispered. It was the first time you saw how beautiful he was. His lushes and eyebrows compliment each other really well. His nose and cheekbones were just too flawless. His lips? His lips speak for itself. Pink, supple and luscious that if you kiss them, you might just go straight to hell for committing a sin.

But however perfect he is, the words that came out of his mouth were just too wrong for you. ‘Damn it! Is this one of your tricks again? How can you say that in times like this?’ you thought.

“I’ll pretend I didn’t hear you… Let’s leave everything as it is. You continue making my life miserable and I’ll just deal with it. Okay?” you calmly spoke and turned to the library.

Kai watched you walk away and he became numb. He just had his first rejection. Worse, it came from the only person he ever wanted. He would normally drag and force anyone he wants but all he can do is wait for you. ‘Miahnae Sunmi-ah but I’m a selfish bastard. I can’t let you go. Your life may be miserable with me but I’ll make sure you won’t reach the ground every time you fall.’

You leaned against the chair after you grabbed the book and pounded your chest as it was still beating rapidly. Your cheeks puffed from blowing out an air and started fanning yourself. After you calmed down, you took out your notebook then Kai suddenly sat in front of you.

“Now what?” you hissed.

“We’ll do this together! So deal with it!”

You gritted your teeth in frustration and he was being amused. “Do you even know what our topic is?”

“Of course! It’s about Orpheus and Eurydice!” he bragged,

“And what about them?” you asked and raised an eyebrow.

“I dunno. You tell me. You’re the genius.”

He placed an elbow on the table and rested his chin on his palm as you spoke.

“Don’t make me repeat myself. I hate dealing with stupid people…” and he just rolled his eyes. “When Eurydice died, Orpheus is overcome with grief. He travels to the Underworld to bring her back to life. He convinces Hades and Persephone to let his wife go but her release comes with a catch. Eurydice must walk behind him as they ascend and Orpheus is forbidden to look back at her. The closer to the light he got, the more he began to believe that Hades had tricked him to get him out of the Underworld and that Eurydice was not behind him.  Just as they reach the exit, he turns to look at his wife and she is immediately sent back to the darkness.”

“What a jerk! The guy has trust issues!” Kai smirked.

“Easy for you to say… It’s human nature to have doubts especially when you’re dealing with the devil himself.” you argued. ‘Like you!’

“Well… That stupid doubt made him loose his wife again. That’s why there is what we call, "trust"!” he emphasized the word with his fingers.

Then the bell rang for lunch. “Sometimes trusting someone is the hardest thing to do!” you quickly stood and left.

"Babo! It's gonna be worth it, if you try..." he added.

----------

“So how’s Literature class?” Sehun asked while having lunch in the pool area.

“Hmmm… Lemme see. My partner is the devil… And our topic is about a myth that includes Hades… So it literally screams, HELL!” and he just shook his head.

“Aigooo~ I don’t think you two will ever get along.” he added while snatching a kimchi pancake from your box.

“Yah! You have your own… Tch!” you then hid your box. “If he stops being such an , I might minimize the death glares.” you added.

“He’s really not that bad…” you rolled your eyes coz you know where the conversation is headed. “He’s acting like that to hide all his bitterness and sorrow.”

“He’s lonely? No way! The guy seems like he’s having the time of his life making people miserable. And he’s rich, he can buy anything, even anyone he wants…”

“He wasn’t able to buy you!” making you swallow hard. “Jongin, was born with a diamond encrusted silver spoon in his mouth and in a family where love and affection barely exist. Wealth became his friend, lover, shoulder to cry on, drinking buddy…”

“Well, he can take all his money and shove it up his !” you scoffed.

“Oh Sunmi! Enough with the hating, it’s not healthy at all. Give him a chance, please?” he pleaded while holding your hand. You can never say no to his warm touch and gentle eyes.

“Fine! But I’m only doing this because of you.”

“Komawo…” he smiled and you both continued eating.

----------

“Where is Sehun?” Kai asked while they ate at the lounge.

“Having lunch with Sunmi.” DO said.

“Aren’t they suppose to eat here?” Kris added.

“Nope, they’re back in there secret spot. Sehun just dragged her here last time for a change.”

“Do you know where?” Suho asked.

“Nope! Had I known, I wouldn’t be here as well. Her food is so much better than this.” he pointed the pasta on his plate.

Kai and Kris kept on staring at the door still hoping for someone to come.

----------

You and Sehun just finished eating. He needed help with Math so he stood to grab his notes from the locker.

“I’ll be back!” he said and ran out.

Kai, Kris and Baekhyun were walking in an empty hallway when they saw Sehun running out of the door from the pool area.

“What is he doing here?” Kris asked.

“Sehun-ah!” Baekhyun called but didn’t hear him.

The three of them opened the door and went in. The water in the pool reflected the light coming from the windows. Some chairs were stacked in a corner while some are laid on the side of the pool. They saw a girl from a far slumped on the chair playing with a round metal that glitters every time the light catches it. Her back faced them but they can already tell who it was.

“Ahhh… Gotcha! So this is where your secret spot is.” Kai smirked and they started to approach her.

You leaned your head on the back rest of the chair and took off your mom’s ring and held it out to the air. It glistened every time it catches the light making the engraved letter readable. “I live in being yours.” you whispered and it made you all warm and fuzzy inside.

But your eyes grew big when the ring disappeared in your fingers when it was snatched away. You turned and saw Kai holding it while Kris and Baekhyun sat on the chairs.

“Give it back!” you said with a serious tone while opening your palms to him.

“What if I don’t? What are you gonna do about it?” he teased.

You tried to get it back but he raised his arm higher. “I’m not in the mood to play around. Give me my ing ring back!” you hissed as you jump to reach the ring.

“Do you really love this ring so much? Did Sehun give this to you?” he smirked.

The only priced possession you ever had is now in the hands of your worst enemy. The thought of losing it is making you dizzy and your stomach whirled when you started to panick. “Goddamn it Kai! GIVE IT BACK!!!” you yelled your heart out.

Kris sensed the desperation in your voice. “Dude, give it back…” and Kai just smirked.

Tears suddenly fell when your eyes followed the ring flying through the air making its way into the pool. All you can think of is to get it whatever it takes. And without hesitation, you jumped into the pool.

Your feet could barely touch the floor so you tried to grab onto anything and pull yourself up to catch some air. The water pushed you down from all sides and the more you struggled, the more disorientated you got. Up down, left right, nothing made any sense anymore.

Kai laughed as he watches you struggle but suddenly froze when he saw Kris taking off his jacket and jumped in. He knew right away that something is wrong.

You pushed with your arms and legs but could find no leverage, worse, your jacket got heavier that it pulled you down even more. Your lungs burned for more air and even though you knew you would get none, your body still took a breath.

The whole place is now filled with your gasps for air and coughs then Kris reached you. “It’s okay… You’re gonna be okay… I got you!” he placed his arms around you and started swimming to the edge.

Kris took you in his lap after Baekhyun helped him to pull you out.

You immediately felt his warm body even if he’s soaked in cold water and you clasped on to his shirt for dear life. His light taps on your cheek sent shocks on your system. There were like energy boosters, giving you little ounces of strength.

Kris looked down on you and you couldn’t help but notice his perfection. His brown hair accentuated his eyes. Bullets of water trailed from his hair down to his evenly sloped nose. Cheeks were pink from dipping into the cold water. Lips were teasingly moist.

“You’re safe now…” he softly spoke. He your cold cheeks and removed strands of wet hair from your face.

Sehun came running to your side and saw your body trembling in fear and cold. He then took his jacket off to cover you with it. “What happened? Oh God! Gwenchana?” his eyes were filled with worry and you nodded.

“S-Sehun-ah… I- I need my mom’s ring back.” you stuttered with every word. He saw the ring in the bottom of the pool so he quickly jumped and dived to get it.

Kai stood frozen the whole time when he realized what he just did. He was too shocked to react and all he can do is watch you suffer even more.

“Here you go… Don’t you ever do that again! Use your brain before doing something stupid. Araseo?!” he scolded.

“Neeehhh~” you smiled and looked up to Kris. “Komawo!”

‘Anything for you!’ he thought. “Don’t mention it… Can you walk?” he asked.

Kris helped you up but your knees just gave up so he carried you bridal style instead. His arms were too comfortable that you felt being lulled to sleep with every step he makes while your body is too tired to function and he noticed your lids are dropping.

“It’s okay. Just sleep…” you tugged on his shirt and drifted to sleep.