My Lifeline

I Don’t Wanna Be Your Friend

 

Days have passed and school went smoothly. Morning class, lunch, tutoring and home. It has basically become a routine but she usually drops by the club to see Teddy. Her paranoia however grew worse. She kept looking around when walking home or hanging out with EXO in the club. Seeing a shadow in a corner, trailing footsteps from a distance, she can sense someone is lurking somewhere.

“Stop being paranoid, Sunmi!” Kai scolded her while they walked to his parked car outside the club with a sleeping Sungmin on his arms.

“But I can’t help it…” she turned to look back again.

They stopped in front of his car and Kai faced her. “Look… First of all, who would watch us?”

“Uhmmm… Your dad?” and Kai rolled his eyes. “How many times do I have to tell you that he’s out of the country and I will know if he sends someone to follow me or us… Chill Sunmi! Besides, you don’t have to worry about anything as long as you have us, especially me. I won’t let anything happen to you or our dongsaeng, okay?”

She tried looking back again but Kai caught her chin and lifted it up. “Okay?” he gave her the look and she nodded. “Now get in. So I can take you home…” he then opened the door.

Sunmi got on the front seat and Kai carefully placed Sungmin on her lap. He walked around to the driver seat and hopped in as well.

Kai just finished tucking Sungmin to bed. He stood by the door with hands in his pockets. “So… I’ll see you around?”

“Mhmmm…” she replied. ‘Ask him already… You can do it, Sunmi… GO!’ she thought after he kept on giving him hints about her promise of going out with him.

He was about to turn when she decided to make a move. “J-Jongin?”

“Yes?” he stared at her but her eyes were moving from side to side. “Ermmm… Are you free tomorrow?”

“It’s a Saturday… So, yeah I am! Wae yo?”

She bit her lower lip this time. “Can you go with me to Incheon?”

His face lit up. “Is this about our “date” given your conditions?”

“Mhmmm! I got a promise to keep…” she smiled.

“Sure! I’d be happy to go with you.” he beamed and started pushing her into the apartment. “Hey! What the…”

“Get in already and go to sleep coz we’re leaving early… GO! Good night Sunmi!”

“Okay… Okay… Excited much? Geez!”

As soon as the door shut, Kai skipped to his car and went home right away. ‘YES! I’m going on a trip… I’m going on a trip… with Sunmi!’ he hummed while driving.

---------

“Sehun-ah, watch over Sungmin for me, please?” she asked while they waited for Kai in the lobby of their building.

“Sure babe…” he then pinched her cheek and she kneeled in front of Sungmin. “Behave while you’re at Sehun hyung’s house, okay? And listen to whatever he says.”

“Yes noona!” he then trailed kisses on her sister’s face. “Aigooo~ My baby brother is just the sweetest.” she giggled.

After she stood, Sehun grabbed her face and trailed kisses only on her lips. “Sehhuunn...” she pushed him but he continued. “Aren’t you suppose *kiss* to say *kiss* I’m the sweetest *kiss* as well?” he muttered in between kisses while Sungmin giggled.

“You’re the sweetest ever, Oh Sehun!” she rolled her eyes and he pulled away. “I’ll accept that even if you’re being sarcastic.”

Kai suddenly appeared behind him and yanked Sunmi away. “Be thankful I’m in a good mood today!” he hissed.

‘Be thankful I let her go out with you! Tch!’ Sehun thought.

Sungmin tugged Kai’s jeans so he kneeled. “Hyung, take care of Sunmi noona, okay?

“I will, don’t worry!” and they hugged.

Sehun held Sungmin’s wrist as Kai and Sunmi walk to his car. “Have fun baby!” Sehun yelled and Kai raised a middle finger in the air.

“Yah! Stop that! My brother is watching!” Sunmi scolded. “He started it!”

“I can’t believe you guys…” she shook her head.

Kai took her backpack and placed it in the trunk. Sunmi watched him through the rearview mirror. She let her eyes enjoy at such an eye candy like him. He was just wearing a casual outfit yet still managed to look rather attractive. Meticulously fixed black hair, vintage round neck shirt, dark skinny jeans, and black high tops.

She looked down on her own outfit to see if she can level up to him. White V-neck shirt tucked in a high-waist denim shorts paired with low cut Chucks. Her lips curled downwards. ‘Not bad Sunmi…’

Kai hopped in and stuck the keys in the ignition. “So… Why Incheon by the way?”

The engine roared and you buckled your seatbelt. “I wanna see umma and appa… I miss them already…” and he choked.

“W-What?” he stuttered. He totally forgot that her parents were buried in Incheon and it was his dad’s fault. “Is this your way of getting back at me? Are you trying to humiliate me?” his eyebrows furrowed the windshield and gripped the steering wheel tighter.

“Excuse me?” she stared at him with wide eyes.

Kai’s shoulders dropped and sunk his face between his arms. She saw him getting flustered and couldn’t afford in bringing herself to get mad at him given his accusation.

Sunmi leaned closer and reached out a hand on his wrist. “Hey… I totally forgot about everything. I swear! I just missed my parents all of a sudden that’s why I thought of visiting them.” she then his wrist with her thumb.  “Ermmm… We can go somewhere else instead, I can just visit them some other time…”

Kai raised his head and faced her. She was smiling with her signature stare. A stare that is oh so honest and sincere. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to. I just didn’t know how to deal with it. But it’s okay, I’ll still go with you.”

“Are you sure?” she asked and he nodded. “I’ll be fine as long as I have you…”she blushed and looked away.

Sunmi placed her hand back on her lap while Kai stepped on the gas pedal.

Kai cruised down the highway at normal speed but she can see how nervous he is. He kept biting his lower lip with occasional deep breaths. She placed her hand on top of his which could almost rip the leather fabric on the wheel.

“Jonginnie, calm down… Everything’s gonna be okay…” He slowly moved his hand and laced their fingers together placing them on his thigh. ‘So this is how Sehun feels… No wonder why he’s willing to give up everything for her.’

Her touch eased his nerves. He smiled a little more, fidgeted a little less and gradually loosened up.

“Komawo!” she said. “I should be the one saying that. I never felt this way in my entire life and I couldn’t thank you enough for it…” he smiled.

Kai drove with one hand on the wheel and another refusing to release her fingers. After an hour, they finally reached Incheon. “Are we going straight to your parents?” he asked.

“Let’s have an early lunch first… I’m starving and I just happen to know the perfect place!” she beamed. “Cool!”

Sunmi pointed the direction towards a samgyeopsal restaurant nestled in the heart of the city. People stared at a black sportscar that squeezed in a busy street and came to a halt in front of a wooden themed restaurant. Low beamed ceilings and well lit. Tables with a grill mounted on the middle with matching stools.

Kai jumped out of the car and opened the door for Sunmi. Revelers were staring at him from head to toe with intimidated scowls but he paid no attention to them. He just kept his majestic stance while holding onto his girl with so much care.

They walked in and took the table in the corner for some privacy. An ahjumma came afterwards with a tray full of meats, veggies, and side dishes. Her eyes sparkled at the sight with hands clasped together on her chest while he just stared at it and scrunched his nose.

“What?” she asked.

“Is this what we’re having for lunch?”

“Mhmm! Wae?” she then started to grill some meat.

“Look at the grease oozing from those things… Blech!” he squirmed.

“Yah! These grease are the good stuff. The greasier the yummier…” she then took a huge bite from a well cooked piece. “Mmmmm~ Damn it so good…”

She took another piece and raised it towards Kai’s mouth. “Ahhh…” but he leaned back. “Just try it! If you won’t like it then we’ll go to a different place instead…”

He cautiously moved his mouth towards the meat and examined it for a bit. “Oh c’mon Jongin! It’s not poison for crying out loud!”

Kai ate the meat and his eyes grew bigger with every bite. It literally melted into his mouth right after the first bite. The smoky flavor attacked his senses and he couldn’t stop from then on. He joined her in grilling more meats and even ordered for more. “Greasy eh???” she chuckled.

“This is all your fault…” he spoke with his mouth full.

Sunmi then took a piece of lettuce and topped it with meat dipped in sesame oil, garlic and ssam jang. Kai observed her while wrapping it and was stunned once again when she raised it towards his mouth. “Ahhh…”

“I’ll eat that?”

“Why not? Don’t be such a picky eater, Jongin! Just eat!” she gave him the look making him give in.

He slightly opened his mouth but the wrap was bigger. “Wider please!” she grinned and he rolled his eyes. Kai showed how big his mouth then she shoved the wrap in it. And just like his first bite, he loved how different flavors lingered in his tongue. It’s as if the ingredients were perfectly matched for each other that they blended really well.

“Uwaaaa~ This is so ing good!” he mumbled.

Kai also took a lettuce and made one for Sunmi. He carefully followed just like what she did but with an extra touch of tenderness. “Please add kimchi on it…” she requested. “Neehhh~” He then fed it to her.

“Komawo…” she giggled and a sauce dripped from her lips. He reached his hand towards her and wiped it with a thumb. “Messy eater!” he smirked and she just stuck her tongue out to him.

They continued eating to their heart’s content and until there chopsticks dropped in surrender. “God, I’m so full!” Kai leaned back and rubbed his tummy.

“Me too! ‘Twas one sinful meal!” she sighed and burp. “Oops! Miahnae!”

‘She’s the only girl who dared to burp in front of me.’ he thought and shook his head.

After taking a breather, Kai slipped a bunch of crisp bills on the table and tugged Sunmi out. “Hey, you paid too much!” she whispered.

“The ahjumma deserve a trip to Jeju for the scrumptious meal she served us.”

She staggered behind him while bowing back to the lady who was beaming over her reward. They drove off away from the city after dropping by a flower shop where they argued for a bit. Kai wanted to buy a huge wreath decked with imported white roses but Sunmi refused. It’s the thought that counts after all so they ended up buying two bouquets of white roses which she usually brings them.

They finally skidded to a stop on the entrance of the burial grounds. Kai still never failed to open the door for her and she breathed the fresh air after stepping out. “Are you okay?” she asked. His face was sullen and she can almost hear his thumping chest. The bouquet that he was holding shows how much he’s shaking yet he forced himself to nod. “Mhmm…”

Sunmi gripped on to his other hand and tugged him. They walked into a dirt path covered with dried leaves and twigs that break with every step. Several butterflies would hover them. She even spotted a squirrel from a distance.

“We’re here!” she pulled Kai closer to her side. “Umma! Appa! I’m back!” she bowed and placed the bouquet in front of her mom’s tombstone. “There you go… I brought a friend of mine… Look mom!”

She then patted Kai’s back who stood frozen and staring at the marbled markers. “Oh… Uhmmm… Annyeong haseyo, Kim Jongin imnida…” he stuttered and bowed. He wobbled in laying the flowers in front her dad’s tombstone.

“Umma, he’s the one who tossed your ring in the pool but he really didn’t mean to do it. He was playing around and I was just too dumb to jump in and get it. Don’t be mad at him, okay? He’s a really good friend.” she glanced at him and smiled.

Her words sent powerful emotions in him. He felt light as a feather. Seeing her doing such a genuinely unselfish act, makes him think of how he could be more than that. Even questioning himself if he’s worth it. Sunmi already earned so much love and respect from him but at that moment he wished he could give more.

But he’s still reminded of the fact that his own father is the one who caused them to lay six feet underneath them. His hands curled into a ball. He closed his eyes for he can’t bear seeing himself standing on top of their grave. His knees were trembling so hard that he dropped on the ground.

Sunmi kneeled in front of him and lifted his head up with both hands. “Hey… what’s wrong?”

Kai opened his eyes and tears poured. “I am my father’s son and he killed them...” she quickly pressed her thumb on his lips.

“Ssshhh… Don’t say that. It was an accident…” but Kai shoved her hands away and bowed multiple times to the tombstones. “Jesunghamnida… Jesunghamnida… Please forgive him. I beg you! Jebaaall!!!” he wept.

“Jongin! Stop that! NOO!!!” she restrained him but he won’t budge.

“You should hurt me, Sunmi. C’mon! Punch me! Kick me! DO IT!!!” he cried louder.

“SHIREO! Don’t do this Jongin! PLEASE!?” she begged but he started pounding his chest with a clenched fist.

“You suffered because of my parents so I deserve to suffer as well. HIT ME!!!” he shouted with pleading eyes straight through her.

Sunmi gathered all her strength and wrapped her arms around Kai’s torso. “No Jongin! Stop this… Calm down… Sssshhh…” he rubbed his back and Kai finally gave in. He rested his head on the crook her neck while his fists dropped on the ground. “Sunmi-ah, please don’t leave me! I will die if you do… But if you really have to, can you please promise to tell me first? I just wish to take one last look at you before you're gone.” Kai wept with defeat.

She lifted his head up with both hands once again. “I’m not leaving you! I will be always be here until you want me to, okay?” and wiped his tears with her thumb. “Stop crying now, please? We’re on a date remember? You’re not supposed to go emo and …” she scowled making Kai smile and sniff. “You just left a bad impression not just to me but to mom and dad as well… Aish!”

Kai hugged her tighter and clung onto her like a lifeline. ‘Oh God! Please let me have Sunmi! I wouldn’t ask for anything else, just her! Please?’

After he calmed down, they sat on the ground and leaned against the tombstones. Kai held her hand and talked about anything.

“It’s really embarrassing breaking down like that…” he covered his face with a free arm.

“Hell yeah! And you just dropped at the bottom of my parent’s bias list. Kekeke~” she chuckled and he pouted. “But seriously though, don’t hurt yourself like that again. Araseo?”

“Neehhh~” he muttered. “If you really wanna get hurt, then call me so Sungmin and I can turn you into a punching bag!” she snickered and stood running away.

“MWOH? YAH!” he stood to chase her but a heavy downpour came. “! Sunmi-ah!!!” he called.

She came running back to him and caught his hand. “Umma! Appa! We’ll go now. We’ll be back next time! Saranghae!” she said.

“Eomeoni! Abeoji! Don’t worry, I’ll take care of her and Sungmin. I’m sorry again about what happened earlier. Annyeong!” he added. ‘And I will love Sunmi as much as you love her as well. Promise!’

Kai and Sunmi sprinted back to his car holding hands. They were already soaked upon hopping in and he drove off. The roads however were suddenly blocked from torrential floods and they have nowhere else to go.

“Turn around… We’ll just have to stay at our old house for the night.” she said and he followed her directions.