Scared

I Don’t Wanna Be Your Friend

 

Aside from her impending date with Kris, Sunmi’s mind is about to blow off for the upcoming exams. It was fortunate enough that she no longer has to work or she might just have a meltdown.

When tutoring the boys, Sunmi never stayed on her seat. She stood all the time and walked around to teach them one by one. She also carried a notebook with her so she can study her own lessons when the boys are busy.

“Sunmi-ah, go take a break for a bit!” Suho said when he saw her stretch and yawn after spending 30 minutes of Physics with DO. “Okay…”

She went back to her seat and placed her chin on the table and read a book.

“I said take a break…” Suho then flipped her book over.

“This is me taking a break…’ she smiled and opened the book again. “Stubborn girl!”

They all continued studying. The room is only filled with sounds of scratching pens against papers and occasional groans and yawns.

The boys were too busy to notice Sunmi falling asleep. Her arms were crossed on the table where she sunk her face.

----------

You were dreaming about your trip in Bali. Sungmin was playing on the sand while you and Kai talked. He called your name making you approach him and then tossed a slug towards you. You flinched and woke up.

Even with the dizzying effect of suddenly waking up, you lifted your head and searched the room. You squinted your eyes from corner to corner. ‘! It’s dark already?’ you thought after looking out the window.

You rubbed your eyes after seeing a blurry figure in front of you. His elbows were on top of the table and rested his chin on his palms. “J-Jongin?” you croaked.

“Good morning… I mean, good evening…” he muttered with a soft voice. You straightened up and a blazer fell from your back. ‘Ehh???’  you picked it up from the floor and saw him just wearing his inner white shirt. ‘Has he been watching me sleep all this time??? Creep!’

“Ermmm… T-Thanks…” you then handed the blazer to him. “Welcome…” and he wore it.

“Where’s everyone? Where’s Sehun?” you yawned.

He rolled his eyes and placed his arms across his chest this time. ‘Sehun this? Sehun that? Why does it always have to be Sehun?’

“He needed to go home coz his parents arrived!” he hissed.

‘Geez! What’s with the attitude?’ you thought and checked your watch. “! Sungmin!!! Aish, you should at least wake me up! I have a brother to take care, y’know! Damn it!” and quickly stood to stuff your things into your backpack.

Kai stood as well and pulled your backpack. “Calm down… Kyungsoo hyung took him home already. He’s prolly helping him with his homework by now.”

Your shoulders dropped while blowing out an air. Kai finished tidying your stuff into your bag and slung it on his back. “Let’s go… I’ll take you home!”

You both walked out of the room and were greeted by a dim hallway. Lights illuminating from windows of closed classrooms guided your path. A spooky feeling suddenly crept up your spine. Your chest congested and breathing became erratic. You flinched when a cold gust of wind passed by and turned to where it came from. ‘Oh Lord, please don’t do this to me… I’m too young to have a heart attack…’ you thought after seeing nothing but a darker alley.

Kai noticed you getting flustered and let out a soft chuckle. “Did you know that this school used to be a cemetery?”

He pressed his lips together when you looked up to him. “R-really?” you stuttered.

You looked away and kept looking around. He smiled and placed an arm above your shoulder. “Don’t be scared, Sunmi. I’m a part time ghostbuster, y’know!” he snickered.

“HA! HA! Very funny!” you pushed him away and forced yourself to walk in the dark corridor. “Suit yourself…” he placed both hands in his pockets and walked beside you.

Sunmi kept her distance from Kai but it grew smaller when paranoia struck. Hearing footsteps behind them. Seeing shadows from a distance. Having a run of goose bumps every time a chilly air passes by.

You’re walking through an empty classroom when a door suddenly shut. You moved in a blink of an eye and linked your hands around his arm. “What was that?”

‘Scaredy cat!’ his lips arched upwards. “A wind might’ve closed the door.” he mused.

Kai shook his head and continued walking. Your knees were already shaking with every step you took. It felt like you’ve been walking in an endless hallway. You gripped onto his sleeves and kept an eye towards the parking lot.

“Oh Sunmi! Did you see that?” you looked up to Kai and saw him covering his mouth with wide eyes.

“W-What? W-Where?” he pointed at a dim corner. Your eyes followed his finger and he grinned. “I don’t see anything!” you whispered.

You suddenly heard him gasp. “LOOK! IT’S COMING TOWARDS US!!!”

You instantly lunged into his torso and sunk your face in the crook of his neck. “UUMMMAAAA!!!” you screamed.

He can feel your warm wheezing breaths. Quivering lips on his skin. His shirt tightening when you grab hold to it and your rapid heartbeat.

Kai raised his arms and rubbed your back in the hopes of calming you down. “Miahnae Sunmi… I didn’t mean to scare you… I’m really sorry…”

And everything came to a halt. You pulled away from him and kicked his knee. “ YOU JONGIN!!! URGGHH!” and left him.

He snickered while limping behind you. “Sunmi-ah! I don’t think you should be walking all alone. There’s more of them out there…” and you just shot your middle finger in the air.

They reached the parking lot where his baby Mclaren is parked. Kai ran in front of you and begged for mercy. “Please forgive me… I swear, I won’t do it again! I’m sorry, Sunmi!” he clasped his palms together and pouted.

‘How can someone even say no to that face? *sigh* Dear lord, remind me again why I’m friends with EXO?’ you thought. “Fine! Whatever!”

“Thanks!” he giggled.

Kai then opened the door of the front seat but you hesitated. “I don’t think it’s a good idea. I’ll just walk home.”

“If this is about my dad. Just stop! Please? Don’t let him affect you.” he said.

The playfulness that he had completely disappeared. He raised a hand and held your face. “I know you’re trying to keep the promise you made with him but promises are meant to be broken…” he then your cheek with his thumb. “Don't you know that I hate it when you avoid me? I’ve been kicking myself every time you push me. I despise the times when you look away. Stop it, Sunmi! You’re just killing me!”

You stared at each other's eyes. He was looking straight through you. Everything stopped moving. It was just you and him and hearing him plea for the first time ever gave you a whole new level of nervousness. Palms became sweaty. Face burnt in an instant. Legs were like jelly while your brain stopped functioning. But you find it weird when your heart remained in a normal pace. Was it because you felt numb? Or was it because you don’t hate him at all?

‘That’s weird…’ you thought.

Kai moved closer and raised another hand to your face. “I beg you! Smile and look at me, even just this once… Please?”

He then gave you a warm embrace. He pressed your head against his shoulder and ran his fingers through your hair. He closed his eyes to enjoy your warmth and memorize your calm heartbeat on his chest. ‘That’s it, Sunmi… Just stay still and I’ll be fine…’

You stood frozen with arms anchored on your side and never blinked while staring at a far distance. Kai comforted you as much as you comforted him. He made you feel warm and fuzzy, and you liked it. ‘Why do I get this feeling that I want to be stuck with him now? This is crazy…’ and shook your head.

Kai pulled away from the hug and held you shoulders. “Would it be too much to ask if you continued what you promised me?”

“Promise?” you wondered.

“Ermmm… The one you made in Bali?”

You tilted your head to the side and looked up trying to remember what he’s talking about. “Ahhh… The failed bet, then the date thingy?” and he nodded.

You gulped and forced a smile. “Uhmmm… I g-guess so…”

“Thanks Sunmi…” his lips curled upwards.

He walked back to the door and signaled you to go in. “I should take you home already. Sungmin will probably kick my now…” you smirked and went in the front seat.