Say My Name

I Don’t Wanna Be Your Friend

 

Kai stormed into his dad’s office when he knew he was already home. “Appa, is it true?” he growled.

 “About what?” he retorted without looking at him and just continued signing some papers.

“Oh c’mon dad! Don’t play dumb with me. You know very damn well about what I’m talking about!” he then slammed his hands on top of the table to get his attention.

But he ignored him. “If this is about that girl, I refuse to talk about it.”

“WHY??? Give me one good reason why I should stop seeing her? I know about her parents and you. I know everything!”

His dad suddenly stopped working and placed his pen down. He leaned back to his seat and crossed one leg over the other. “Then you should know why I don’t want you to be with her. Use your brain for once, Jongin.”

Kai raised his hands in the air and paced in front of the table. “Is it because you feel guilty every time you see her? Because she reminds you of how stupid you and mom were? Huh?”

His dad stood. “YES! I left two innocent kids almost homeless and hungry. Don’t you know how much it’s killing me? Even if I give her all our riches, nothing will bring them back! She’s miserable because of me, Jongin and I’m afraid she will take it out on you. Do you understand that?”

Kai stiffened at the words of his dad. Hate and pity is all that he can feel for him. “Are you saying that an 18 year old girl would avenge her parent’s death on the son of their killers? May I remind you that my life is so ed up already and someone trying to mess with it is just useless.” he smirked.

“I can’t risk it, son! You’re all I got!” his dad pleaded this time.

“You will lose me even more if you keep us apart… I’m sorry dad but I can’t let her go!”

Kai turned and walked out while his dad fell back on his seat rubbing his eyebrows together.

----------

You were walking back to your classroom when you met Kai and Kris on the hallway. You avoided their path but Kai stopped directly in front of you. “Let’s talk!” he demanded.

“I don’t want to!” you sidestepped and continued but followed you still.

“We’re gonna settle this once and for all!” he hissed.

“Fine! I don’t wanna see you anymore… Now that’s settled!” you turned and increased your pace.

Kris kept his distance after Kai ran in front of you. He held your shoulders and he looked at you while you glared back.

“Not that! Damn it! If this is about my dad, don’t believe what he said! Do you hate me that much? Huh?”

“Yes! In fact, I hate everything! Being in this school coz of that ing scholarship as a “charity” from your dad, seeing my brother cry at night longing for mom and dad, seeing you reminds me of those nights that I cried myself to sleep…” you then formed your hand into a ball to stop the trembling.

“I will make everything better just don’t push me away.” Kai pleaded.

‘I wish you could Jongin! I wish you could…’ you thought.

You shoved his arms away and turned around towards your classroom. Kai looked up to the ceiling and clasped his hands behind his head. ‘Oh God Sunmi! Please don’t do this to me. Tell me what I should do…’ he quickly ran in front of you once again.

“Get away from me!” you tried to push Kai away when he gripped your arms but he was unfazed.

“Not until I get some answers.” he glared.

“What do you want?” you continued to struggle.

“Be my girlfriend!” he hissed.

“No ing way! Hell, I don’t even wanna be your friend.” you shot him with piercing eyes but winced when his grip became tighter.

Kris then ran up to you. “Dude, let her go. She’s getting hurt already.” he blurted with a calm voice and tried to pull him away but Kai resisted.

“Why? Why don’t you want to? Huh? I’m Kim Jongin! I can give you anything that you wish for. I can even make you the most powerful person in this school if I want to!” he growled while shaking you.

Your head is getting dizzy not from the shaking or his grip but from a million thoughts that rammed your brain. ‘Friendship cannot be bought, ! You may be the richest but you’re just too dense.’ you thought. His eyes were filled with rage and you can sense the desperation in him while your body trembled in the heat of argument.

“You just answered your damn question. My life is perfect as it is already and I don’t ing need any of you! So please, spare me the misery!” his grip loosened so you pushed him and walked passed them. Then you suddenly heard shards of glass falling to the floor. When you turned around, you saw blood dripping on the floor coming from his fist.

‘Miahnae Jonginnie… Jeungmal miahnae…’ and walked.

----------

You sat on a pavement at the back of the club while waiting for your shift to start. Staring at the sky made you relaxed. Specs of lights were shining brightly and you would smile at the sight of a shooting star. “Uwaaaa~ So beautiful!” and shut your eyes with hands clasped together on your chest. ‘Be happy and live stronger.’

“For whom did you wish for?” a voice asked.

You turned and saw Kris leaning against the wall behind you.

“Oh! Hey… Ermmm…” you forced a smile to him. “Didn’t you know it’s rude to ask people about their wish?”

'Thank God she's ready to talk!' he thought.

“Is it okay if I sit with you?” and you nodded.

Kris sat crossed leg facing you and rested his chin on his palm. “Anyway, I’m really sorry for everything.” he said.

You placed your chin on top of your knee and wrapped your arms around it. “It’s okay… I’m sorry as well for being stubborn. I know you guys are just putting up with my iness especially with me and Jongin.”

“Don’t be! We totally understand where you’re coming from.”

Both of you sat in silence, waiting for each other to talk. You’ve never seen this side of Kris though. He looked defeated, helpless and confused. You noticed him move his hand in an attempt to at least feel you but he didn’t. ‘Don’t you know that I miss you so much? Yet here I am sitting like an idiot being a coward.’ so he talked instead. “What’s on your mind?”

“Ermmm… Have you ever hated someone so much that you wished they would just leave and never come back... but you knew you'd die if they did?”

Your words actually gave him the boost he needed. “Sunmi-ah? Do you hate me?”

You turned your body to face him and held his hand. “At first I did but that was because of you being stupid and careless enough that some mafia wants you.” he chuckled. “But then I thought, how can I hate on someone who saved my life, reads my brother bedtime stories, and especially someone that I cherish.”

Kris was touched to hear your words. No one has ever made him feel important and loved not even his own parents.

He suddenly leaned closer and wrapped his arms around you. You can feel his heart pounding, his muscles tensed, warm breaths on your shoulder, his shaking hands on your back… “I miss you so much, Sunmi!” then his hug became tighter that you could almost lose your breath.

You rubbed his back and it calmed him down. “I miss you too, Kris…”

Hearing you say his name was like a jolt of ecstasy. He never knew it could sound y and intoxicating. It was actually the first time he ever heard you say it and he liked the feeling. “Can you say that again?”

You pulled away from the hug and wondered. “Huh? Which one? I miss you?”

“Say the whole thing…” he beamed.

Your brows pinched together in confusion while you scratch your neck. “Ermmm… I miss you too… Kris!” you emphasized his name and he hugged you once again. “You’re weird!”

You just shook your head while he was grinning from ear to ear over your shoulder.

But then you suddenly got nervous about his troubled past. “Kris, I’m scared though…”

He pulled away from the hug with a serious look this time. “Don’t be! I won’t let anything happen to you or Sungmin. I will protect you with all I got, even it kills me! Understand?”

“I’m okay with the whole protecting thing, but not the getting killed part. Don’t you ever get hurt!” you pointed a finger to his face. “Now you better understand that!” you warned him.

“Okay!” and he hugged you once again. ‘How do you expect me to let you go and be with Jongin, when I love you this much? I’m sorry bro, but I can’t! I have to fight for her.’