Drifting Away

I Don’t Wanna Be Your Friend

 

Monday finally came. EXO was looking forward to it even if they weren’t sure if Sunmi would show up.

They passed by Sungmin’s classroom but didn’t see him.

“He’s supposed to be here already!” DO said while peeking inside a classroom.

Chanyeol checked his watch and there’s only ten minutes left before classes start. “They’re prolly running late…”

“Yeah… Let’s just head to class!” Suho suggested and they all went to their respective rooms.

Kris and Kai took a seat and kept glancing on an empty chair between them. Minutes quickly passed by, still no sign of Sunmi.

‘Where are you? Please be here!’ Kai thought while tapping his fingers on his desk.

Kris was on the edge of his seat having his eyes glued on the door.  They both kept their hopes up for her to come but everything vanished when the teacher came.

“Let’s start… Let me check your attendance first!” he said.

The teacher each called their names and every one of them responded.

“Oh Sunmi?” and it was silent. “Oh Sunmi?” he called again.

Kai flinched every time he hears her name. It was music to his ears but he just misses her so much. Her face never left his mind over the weekend. The perfect smile, doe-like eyes, well-shaped nose, plump lips. He just couldn’t stop thinking about her.

“Well, I guess I have to mark her absent then!” the teacher added.

But all of a sudden, someone came running through the hallway and stopped after entering the room.

“Seonsaengnim, I’m here… Sorry, I’m late…” she panted.

Kris and Kai’s soul could almost leave their body when they heard her voice. ‘She’s here? Oh my God, she IS here!’ Kris looked at a girl standing beside the teacher’s table. She has her complete uniform on with a backpack on one shoulder. Bullets of sweat trickled on the side of her face. She was placing a palm on her chest trying to calm her rapid heart rate from sprinting to her classroom. ‘You’re beautiful as always Sunmi!’ Kris smiled.

“Good to see you Sunmi-shi! Now take a seat so we can start…” the teacher added.

Both boys were already anxious to talk to Sunmi and were just waiting for her to take a seat.

“What the hell?” Kai blurted when he saw her took the empty chair in front of the teacher’s table.

He faced Kris and they both have the same alarmed expressions. She never said a word to them, not even a single glance.

They could no longer bear watching her like nothing happened so they stood and walked to her.

Kai grabbed her wrist and pulled her out of the classroom followed by Kris.

“Where are you going?” the teacher asked but they ignored him. “Yah! Jongin! Wu Fan! Sunmi!” and they all eventually left.

----------

Kai’s grip tightened around your wrist. Your steps didn’t match his longer paces so you had to keep up with him or you’ll end up falling.

“Hey! Let go of me!” you then started slapping his hand.

Kai stopped after he noticed you getting breathless and released you. “Where were you all this time? Do have an idea how worried we were?”

Seeing his face reminded you of his dad and everything that has happened. You feel disgusted at the sight of him, irritation filled your mind. There is a burning fire in your veins and your body is tensed, ready to fight or argue at any moment but you still had to control it.

“I went somewhere…” you softly spoke and turned to walk back to your classroom but Kai and Kris won’t let you.

They both ran in front of you and Kai spoke again. “Ermm… Whatever my dad told you, don’t believe any of it. He was being a jerk!”

‘Calm down Sunmi. Keep your cool…’ you told yourself. “Look! Let’s just pretend nothing happened. You go your own way and I go with mine. Okay?” you forced a smile to them and continued walking.

“Woah! Woah! Hold up. What’s wrong?” Kris now stood in front of you while Kai remained frozen in his spot.

He placed his hands on your shoulders as you kept your head down. “Nothing… I just wanna be alone for now. I hope you guys understand that.” you shoved his hands away and walked back to your room.

However confused they were, Kris and Kai just watched from behind during the entire morning. They never listened to the lectures while you pretended to be busy.

Lunch came and Sehun suddenly appeared in front of you while making your way out of the room. “We need to talk!”

He then grabbed your wrist and pulled you through the horde of students. Kris and Kai left their seats as well to trail you.

“Let go of me!” you hissed while jogging behind your best friend.

“No! Don’t you know how worried I am when you suddenly disappeared? You’ve been avoiding my calls or did you even read my messages?” he growled while shoving the students away from his path.

You have never seen Sehun this pissed and he was scary. His grip could almost crush your wrist. The heat in his body could melt your icy cold heart.

“You’re hurting me! YAHH!!!” you screamed in the hallway but he ignored you.

He kicked the door of the lounge giving everyone in it quite a shock. “Sunmi-ah!” Chanyeol beamed but his face fell upon seeing Sehun’s infuriating face. You massaged your aching wrist after he released you.

Kris and Kai who just came in, joined the rest of EXO by the table while you and Sehun stood by the door.

“What do you want?” you hissed.

“What do I want? The is wrong with you? You’ve gone missing and now you’re asking me this?” he yelled at your face.

You now have the urge to fight back. “So I’m guessing you wanna know what happened to me, right?”

“Of course! I wanna know if it was ing worth it to worry that much over you!”

“You shouldn’t have bothered yourself then! No one told you to do so! Besides, I’m just some orphan who happens to mingle with the wrong kind!”

“Is that what Jongin’s dad told you? Huh? Tell me!” Sehun pointed his finger towards Kai while keeping his raging eyes on you.

Your tensed voices filled the eerie lounge. EXO never blinked while you and Sehun argued.

“It’s none of your business!”

Kai suddenly left the table and walked to you. “It became my business when my dad talked to you.” he said in a calm voice.

“Dude! Leave us alone for a bit!” Sehun then raised his palm in front of Kai’s face.

“Mwoh? How dare you talk to me like that?!” Kai hissed.

Sehun cocked his head to the side and averted his glare to Kai. “This is all your dad’s fault so shut the up!”

Kris quickly stood when he saw Kai raised his fist and pulled him back. “Bro! Easy! Let them talk for now…”

You’re about to blow your head off from the heated argument and chose to avoid it instead. “May I leave now?”

“No! Not until we settle this!” Sehun glared and you raised your hands in the air.

“We have nothing to settle, okay? I go my way and you guys go your way. LEAVE! ME! ALONE!” you yelled.

“Goddamnit Sunmi! Stop being a coward for once in your life!” you and Sehun are now glaring at each other.

Suho finally stood sensing the hostility and approached you. “Guys, calm down… Sehun-ah, stop it already!” but both of you didn’t listen.

You then moved a step closer to Sehun.“I’m sorry to disappoint you but I love being a coward…” you bragged and continued. “How would you feel if you’re in the same room with the person who kept reminding you why you are suffering? Have you even felt being scared and vulnerable for your safety? If you’re in my position, being a coward is the best way to go! Believe me!” you smirked.

“Stop this mind buggling ! Can you just say it straight to my face? What are you talking about?”

“You wanna know? Fine! The driver of the car who killed my parents is Jongin’s dad, and I’m scared for my brother’s safety knowing that Kris is being hunted down by some ing mafia.” you then looked at Kai. “Oh and by the way… I made a promise to your dad that I will stop seeing you.”

They were all surprised at what they heard. Sehun took a step back. Suho covered his mouth. Kai pushed Kris aside and walked towards you. They all have different reactions but their wide-eyes were set to you.

Kai placed his hands on your shoulder and started shaking you. “You’re lying, right? You’re just saying it coz you’re mad. NO! It can’t be! It shouldn’t be!”

Your emotions are running wild. The butterflies in your stomach turned into dragons breathing fire to your organs. Your hands trembled and your knees weakened. ‘Damn it! Don’t cry Sunmi! Don’t ing cry!’

“I can’t take it anymore. I’m too tired of all of this. So please, leave me alone...” you took a couple of steps back and turned to the door.

“Suho-ah, I’m sorry but I can’t keep my promise!” you said without looking back and ran out.