The Storm

I Don’t Wanna Be Your Friend

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pN2yl793CY

For almost everybody at school, Friday is the best day of the week. You don’t have to wake up early the following morning, you won’t be hearing any lectures or nags from the teacher, there’s no need to worry for any homework until the weekend is over.

You and Sungmin were just about to leave his classroom when your teacher, Mr. Park came running from behind you. “Sunmi-shi!” he called.

You turned and asked. “Ye seonsaengnim?”

“You’re wanted at the principal’s office right now.” he said while panting.

“Me? Wae yo?” you wondered and Sungmin tugged your jacket. “Noona? What’s happening?” you shrugged at him.

“He might just need something from you.” he added.

“Erm… Okay!”

You held onto Sungmin’s wrist while walking towards the principal’s office when your phone buzzed.

‘Sunmi-ah, I need to talk you. I’ll see you at the club later, okay?’ – Teddy oppa

‘I'll be running late but I’ll be there! xoxo’ – Sunmi ^^

You then slipped your phone back to your backpack after replying. When you entered the principal’s office, you told his secretary that he wanted to see you. “Oh right! He’s been waiting for you, you may proceed now.”

You lifted Sungmin up and made him sit in one of the chairs in front of the secretary’s table. “I’ll be back in a bit. Just stay here and behave, araseo?”

“Don’t worry Sunmi-shi, I’ll take care of him!” the secretary then gave him pieces of paper and colored pens. “Here you go. Why don’t you draw while waiting for noona.”

Sungmin took it and started right away. “Kamsahamnida!” he said and you smiled at her as well.

You opened another door to a brightly lit room. Your mouth fell wide open upon seeing the elaborate decorations and ornaments. No one could ever imagine that a principal would be stationed in such a space fit for a CEO. The floor is carpeted while the view of the school can be seen through the floor-to-ceiling windows. A huge table stood in the middle having two long couches facing each other in front of it.

Your eyes checked every detail in the room and it stopped upon seeing a tall, gray-haired man standing by the window with hands inside his pockets. Even if you can only see his back, you can clearly tell that he’s not the principal. He has that majestic aura and his stance belonged to those men who belong in the elite class of society.

He looked regal and dapper in an all black suit. His hair is neatly fixed while his shoes are properly shined. Everything looked expensive from head to toe.

You then cleared your throat and spoke to let him know you arrived. “A-Annyeong haseyo…” you bowed. “Ermmm… The principal wanted to see me?” you asked.

The man turned and your eyes grew big when you saw how much he resembles Kai. His eyes, jawline, cheekbones, nose, everything. They are like carbon copies of each other.

“I was the one who asked for you to come here. Sorry for the short notice.” he said with a deep manly voice.

“It’s o-okay…” you stuttered.

He walked towards you and pointed you to one of the couches. “Please take a seat.”

You followed and started to sweat when your body heated up from the intense nervousness. He then sat on the other couch which is right in front of you. “I’m Kai’s father.”

You bowed again and greeted him. “Annyeong haseyo. Oh Sunmi imnida.” you said with a soft voice keeping your head down.

“Nice to meet you.” he smiled.

Seeing him loosen up calmed you down. He no longer has that intimidating look but you can still see worry in his eyes.

“I can see why the boys are fond of you. You seem to be a nice and sweet young lady.” and you just forced a smile on him. “I can see as well that they have changed a lot when they started hanging out with you and from the bottom of my heart, thank you!”

Before you can speak, he interrupted you. “But I hope it’s not too much to ask, if you stop seeing Jongin.”

You immediately raised your head and asked “E-Excuse me?” You were not sure if you heard it right or might have just used a wrong set of words.

‘I’m really sorry Sunmi-shi! I was the one who caused all your sufferings and I don’t want you to take it out on my son. He’s the only one I got!’ he clasped his hands together on top of his knees so you won’t notice him shaking.

“It would be best if you stay away from my son.” he said once again.

Your heart sunk into the deepest pit of your stomach.  “I’m sorry but I don’t understand. Why would you want me to do that?”

‘I’m the one who killed your parents and I’m afraid you will make Jongin pay for it. I’m really sorry but I’m just trying to protect him.’ he thought.

“I don’t want him to mingle with the wrong kind.” he forced the words out of his mouth for he knows how much he’s hurting you.

The color on your face drained. You raised a hand to cover your beating heart as you try to find logic to what is happening. It's like your brain short-circuited and needed to be rebooted. Everything was in fast-forward while you just remained motionless in the middle of it all.

But the shock begins to melt away being replaced by hate. ‘Wrong kind??? !!! Now I know why Jongin is such an . Like father, like son!’

“Would there be anything else?” you asked.

“Just promise me you’ll stop seeing my son!” he pleaded.

You stood with clenched fist and raging red eyes. “Don’t worry sir, I decided to not mingle with your kind as well… Nice meeting you.” and you bowed.

Feeling dizzy and wobbly, you walked out of the room and grabbed Sungmin by the wrist.

“Thank you for taking care of my brother.” you said in monotone and bowed to the secretary.

She was stunned to see your poker face and just scratched her nape when you left. “You’re w-welcome!”

Right after the door shut, you fell on your knees and dropped your backpack on the side. “Noona, gwenchana?” Sungmin asked.

You were far too angry to let the tears fall so you just hugged your brother. “I’m okay as long as I have you.”

“Aigooo~ Don’t be sad. Little brother will always be here.” he said while resting his chin on top of your shoulder.

Your lips instantly curled up. *sigh* ‘How can people be so mean? I hope they know how others are hurting coz of them.’ you thought.

After you calmed down, you and Sungmin continued walking out of the school.

“Oh! Sunmi!” Chanyeol yelled after seeing you but you already made a turn in the corner of the hallway. “What was she doing in the principal’s office?”

He went to enter the room and asked the secretary who was just preparing to leave. “What did the principal want with Sunmi?” he asked.

“Not the principal but someone else.” she said.

“Who?”

Before she can answer him, Kai’s dad went out and saw him. “Oh! Chanyeol! You’re here?”

“Ermm… Y-Ye! I was just dropping by and I’m about to leave now. Annyeong!” he bowed and hurriedly left.

‘! Jongin’s dad talked to Sunmi? This is so not good!’ he thought while running to his car.

----------

The walk to the club was full of silence. Not a single word has left your mind and it kept repeating over and over again. You all held it in while showing a smile to your brother.

You went in the office and saw GD sitting in his usual spot talking to Teddy. “Oppa! We’re here!”

“Come over and take a seat. Leave Sungmin by the couch and let him watch cartoons or something.” Teddy said.

“Okay!” You followed what your uncle said and walked a few meters towards his table. “So… What are we gonna talk about?” and they both stared at each other nervously.

“Hellooo?” you waved your hand in between their view.

“Oh! Uhmmm… Before anything else, I want you to promise us that you will say anything whatever it is that you’re thinking and feeling.” Teddy said while GD is on the edge of his chair and remained silent the whole time.

“Woah… You guys are making me nervous. I don’t like this kind of talk. It’s making me agitated and anxious.”

“We know but you have to deal with it either way. You’re a big girl now and we trust that you’ll be mature about it.”

Your uncle’s words made you nervous. He barely talks so you knew right away that it is something important and serious. You remembered what GD said as well when he walked you home and finally connected the dots. You took a deep breath and blew out a huge air. “I’ll try… Now, tell me.”

“It’s about your friends, Kai and Kris.” Teddy then gave you Kris’ profile.

“What about them?” you took the folder and flipped the cover. “Read that one first!”

Your eyes moved from side to side as you read every word. Each word made the butterflies in your stomach fly. They whirled around while some sent dizzying spins on your brain. “What the hell? He’s being what?”

You tossed the folder back to the table and slumped on the chair. “You gotta be trippin’ right?”

“It’s all true Sunmi!” Teddy said with arms crossed on the table.

“So are you gonna tell me to stop seeing him as well?” you said with a smug look.

“MWOH!? Of course not!” he raised his voice then GD interrupted. “Hyung! Take it easy. Sungmin might hear you.”

Teddy continued with hushed tone this time. “You deserve to know and I’m just concerned about your safety… Hold up! Wait a minute! What do you mean, “as well”? he raised his palm in the air.

You pressed your lips together since you don’t want Teddy and GD to be burdened about what you promised to Kai’s dad. “Sunmi-ah! Is there something that we should know? Don’t lie to us.” he added.

“Ermm… It’s nothing…” you said.

“I know there is but I won’t force you to say it. Just let me know once you’re ready.” he said. “With Kris, I didn’t tell you this to make you avoid him. I just want you to be careful especially if you’re with Sungmin. He’s up against one of the most dangerous organization in the world. Do you understand me?”

“Neh, I understand… Now what about Jongin.”

It suddenly became a whole new different ball game this time. Teddy took a deep breath while GD placed his elbows on top of his knees and covered his face with both palms.

“What?” your heart started to race.

Teddy didn’t hand you any folder for he chose to tell it straight to you. “Did you ever wonder why you ended up in a prestigious school like SM High?”

And you answered without hesitation. “It was because of the scholarship. Mom and dad managed to secure it before they passed away, right?” but he shook his head and your mind suddenly went blank. “W-What do you mean no?” Your brows pinched together and you stared wide-eyed at him while waiting for an answer.

Teddy left his seat and walked towards you. He kneeled in front of you and made you face him. “Yes, there is a scholarship but it was a form of payment for your parent’s death.”

You cocked your head in one side trying to comprehend every word your uncle is saying but a bomb is about to go off in your chest. “Payment? Are you ing kidding me, huh? Who would even dare try to “pay” for someone’s life? Tell me!” you gritted your teeth.

GD moved to your side as well and rubbed your back. “Hey, calm down…”

Teddy held both your shaking hands tightly. “The owner of the school did when he found out that two kids were left orphaned because of him.”

Then that was it, the bomb exploded. You just fell silent, paled and frozen. You placed a palm on your beating heart as you try to process everything but your body just shuts down. It no longer knows how to react and Teddy had to shake you up.

“Sunmi-ah? Sweetie?” then you heard his voice and snapped back.

Due to the numbing pain on your system, you no longer have the urge to even get angry or trash the whole place up. You suddenly stood not knowing where your feet will take you as long as you can get away from it all.

Teddy watched you run out of the room while GD followed you from behind.

The cold wind slammed on your face and just as you squinted your eyes, tears fell like waterfalls. You bumped into some bystanders and ignored their curses at you. Feeling light-headed and disoriented, you continued walking down the alley not knowing where to go. You wiped your tears trying to block the memory out but it just keeps on coming back. “God damn it!” you hissed.

You pressed the heels of your hands into your eyes until you saw nothing but sparkles. You tried to sit down on the ground but it was more like a stumble and fall that left you in a trembling heap on the sidewalk. You drew your knees closer to your chest wrapping your arms around it and sunk your face. “How can they do this to me? I never did anything to deserve this much!”

GD kneeled in front of you and gave you a warm embrace. “I know life can be cruel but eventually all the pieces will fall into place, so until then, live for the moment and know that everything happens for a reason. Sunmi-ah, you can do this. You’ve been fighting all this time so I know you can still do it for the rest of your life.”

His words melted the hate that’s freezing your heart. You wrapped your arms around his neck and cried your heart out as you shatter in pieces. “Opppaaa… Don’t leave me… I’m not that strong! I’m not!”

“I won’t! I promise! Sshhh…” he slowly pushed you away and pointed to the night sky. “My grandma once told me that they’re not really stars but rather openings where our loved ones shine down to let us know they are happy. I’m pretty sure two of them are your mom and dad being happy for you and Sungmin.”

“They are?” you muttered. “Mhmm! I’m positive about it! So you have to show them as well that you’re happy so they will shine brighter than any star in the galaxy.” he smiled then wiped your tears. “Always remember that I love you and nothing will tear us apart, okay?”

“Thank you oppa and I love you too!”

He hugged you until you calmed down and helped you up to go back to the club.