The King's Shadow Part 2

The Mute Queen

He met him. He found the mastermind who planned to kidnap his lover now sat in investigation room with hands tied and bruised body. Seemed like royal police had hit him several times to force him to tell the truth.

 

“A long life for the great King of Jonseong!” he said to him with his gummy smile.

 

Kyuhyun was sure that his brother in law wasn’t praising but mocking him “You must say all things you know, brother in law. At least, we may ease your punishment if you do cooperate with us”

 

Eunhyuk chuckled “Okay. I will answer just one question. No more”

 

“Indeed Lee family. Always can deal with all kind of pressure even if it will cost their life”

 

“I take it as your compliment then”

 

Kyuhyun’s face turned to be more serious this time  “What’s the real mission of Lee faction?”

 

Eunhyuk huffed “Fine. But I am sure it will take forever if I explain it with my mouth. By the way, I heard you like playing strategy”

 

“Lord Eunhyuk, don’t make a fun of me”

 

Eunhyuk shrugged “No. I am serious. You will find the answer if you follow my words. So, do you like game?”

 

 

***

 

“Min Mama, this is a  herbal drink from Mung bean extract that you requested yesterday. Please drink it while it’s still warm” Sunkyu poured it into a tiny ceramic glass and offered it to the Queen. She knew that the latter wasn’t in a good mood now and wanted to be alone but somehow she couldn’t let her be. Just couldn’t. She’s afraid that the latter would do something without thinking again.

 

The queen took the cup with a shaking hand but she still drank it though “After this, please accompany me to meet the Prime Minister, Sunkyu”

 

Sunkyu felt a bit relieved after noticing a slight of hope still drawn from her Queen’s doe eyes “Yes, Min Mama...”

 

“Queen Mother Insoo has arrived !!”

 

Suddenly an unexpected arrival from King’s mother and her courtladies came to Queen Min’s chamber made the owner stunned in surprise. Sunkyu slowly stepped backward. Queen Min greeted and bowed down to her mother in law  “Mother, I am sorry but what make you come here so suddenly? I can come to your place instead. Your health is more important”

 

Queen Insoo smiled at her “I am the one who should say sorry to you Sungmin. I know about what happened with your brother. At first, I was a bit upset to hear that but Lady Seohyun said that you wasn’t  involved in this stuff at all”

 

Sungmin stunned for a moment. She didn’t know how to react whether she should say thank you to the special gungnyeo because accepting her friendship offer or not because she did think that her brother incident was a trap but she didn’t know by whom.

 

“That’s why I ask you to continue doing royal first night with Kyuhyun tonight”

 

“Mother…I…”

 

King’s mother held Sungmin’s hand gently “Queen Min, I trust you as much as I trust your mother. Please give Jonseong a little prince. Okay?”

 

Sungmin stared at her mother in law. She loved the older almost like the way she loved her own mother. Then a single tear escaped from Sungmin’s eye “Yes, mother” she replied with a smile.

 

“Here, courtlady Ook make a herbal drink for you. It’s good for fertility. You have to drink this” She noticed the courtlady who stood behind her mother in law brought a tray with a teapot on it.  

 

While she’s drinking the herbal drink, she couldn’t move her eyes from the court lady. Her head was bowed down but she could see that the latter was smiling. She could tell that it’s fake. Fake smile. She shouldn’t look so happy if her daughter did nearly being kidnapped by her brother last night. Sungmin just knew it by looking at her expression that they both were in the same kind.

 

“Now, please let courtladies  to beautify and dress you up for this important royal first night” Queen mother Insoo’s voice distracted Sungmin from her thought.

 

“Yes, mother. I will try my best”

 

***

 

“King Cho has arrived. Open the door!” 

 

As the voice from Eunuch Kang was heard from outside, courtladies walked out from Queen Min’s chamber and welcomed the King with a deep bow. “Long life, Your Highness!!!” they said in unison.

 

“You all can go and leave us now” he answered.

 

“Yes, Phea!!!”

 

He walked inside the Queen’s chamber. Courtladies already prepared all stuffs needed in there. Now they sat against toward each other.

 

“Husband and wife please greet toward each other!”

 

Eunuch Kang who stood behind the door proclaimed that the royal first night was ready to start and he was the one who will mention every step to do royal first night protocol.

 

“Wife have to release the husband’s crown!”

 

Sungmin started to touch Kyuhyun’s crown but Kyuhyun prevented her. “No. I need to talk to you. Eunuch Kang, leave us alone for a moment. After we have finished, I will call you”

 

Eunuch Kang followed his order and walked out from Queen’s place. Sungmin didn’t surprise if the King tried to avoid royal first night again but she liked the part of the King had a willing to have a talk with her “What do you want to talk about, Phea?”

 

“Why do you always insist to do royal first night to me? What do you really want? Make Lee faction rules Jonseong?”

 

She bowed at him “It’s not like that Phea. I know you don’t love me but still I am your wife. I am the first lady of Jonseong. Delivering the crown prince is my duty”

 

Kyuhyun scoffed “You said exactly the same word again, Min”

 

She smiled at him “This is your mother's wish, Phea. And also Jonseong people’s wish”

 

“Your smile. Is your fake smile actually your true smile, Sungmin? Tell me!”

 

“What do you mean, Phea?”

 

“I will give your brother a severe punishment”

 

The smile from the queen slowly faded with another expression. She was frozen. She eyed him without a single wink. The King’s not sure whether it was fear or not but he did look enjoyed seeing the smile he hated the most didn’t show up again. “As you know I won’t forgive your brother, My Queen. In case whether I can make an excuse for you or not about this crime. It depend from what you could say right now”

 

 “Phea…”

 

“Tell me what are you plotting with your brother? What have you done to make lady Seohyun defend you? What’s Lee Faction real intention? What’s your hidden motive?!!!”

 

Sungmin shook her head slowly “No, Phea. We are not plotting anything”

 

“You’re lying to me”

 

“I know you won’t believe me nor expect I can tell what you want either”

 

He smiled coldly toward her “Why do you always capable to read my mind, Min? So, what do you think my real intention to come here?”

 

“Because I am your wife”

 

King seemed to lost his control. He yelled at her “Why do you keep tell me those things Min. DON’T SPEAK LIKE THAT EVER AGAIN !!!”

 

Sungmin startled with a sudden raised voice from Kyuhyun. It’s the first time he shouted at her like that. He pulled Sungmin’s hand and forced her body to lean on him. Now, his eyes met hers. It’s the first time they were in a close distance like this. “Do you think I can’t kill your brother because you are my wife? He did a lot of crimes and I don’t think I could pretend to not know them anymore” he whispered. Sungmin could feel his breath on her face.

 

Sungmin’s face covered with sweat. She shook her head “No… Please don’t. I ... I will do anything. Please…”

 

He chuckled “You should see your face on a mirror, Min. Finally you show your true nature. The queen who always uphold Jonseong laws now is begging my forgiveness for her brother”

 

He caressed Sungmin’s left cheek “Now I give you two options, Min. Your brother’s life or sleep with me?”

 

Sungmin went silent. She had never thought that her husband would say things like that. He chuckled again “Seeing you become quiet like this. I guess you will choose to have a with me and carrying my child to be the next King, right? You and your brother just put a shame for your moth….”

 

Kyuhyun stopped his word as he saw a tear rolled down to Sungmin’s cheeks. He was stunned. Finally he made the Queen’s vanity broke down into pieces as another tears followed to stream out. But a slight of guilt did occur when a question appeared in his mind. He wondered if this was what he was looking for or another things.

 

“I hate…you…”

 

“I hate… you Cho Kyuhyun...”

 

She was sobbing hard. It’s the first time he saw the latter cried since 10 years he had known her. She didn’t even cry when her mother died in front of her. That was really new to him.

 

That time he didn’t know what’s going on as he found himself brushed her tears then leaned closer. He did see Seohyun's image flashed in his mind for a second but his body seemed like moving by itself . It's seemed like it moved under a spell. He felt drown into those foxy eyes then kissed her lip for the first time.

 

 

***

 

Captain Yonghwa at that time was patrolling around the palace and when he stopped near Namwol pavilion, he caught a familiar figure staring at the moon alone. He stepped closer behind the figure. He noticed the latter’s body a bit shaking. He was sure that it’s not from cold temperature because he also heard some sobs from the latter.

 

“Lady Seohyun, why are you crying?”

 

Even without seeing her face, he knew that it was her. Because he loved that person with a sincere heart without the latter's consent. Every moves and gestures, he knew her well.

 

“I am scared”

 

“Tonight is the royal first night”

 

 “I know”

 

“You should not defend her in front of Queen Mother Insoo”

 

“I know”

 

Lady Seohyun’s voice sounded bitter. Yonghwa hated it. He hated why Lady Seohyun still have a heart for Queen Min. She had the chance to end this hatred yet she threw it away just because a bucket of persimmon fruits. “Do you regret it now?”

 

“No. I don’t regret to defend her because I am sure she wasn’t involved with her brother’s plan. But that’s not what I scare about”

 

Yonghwa sighed. He knew it’s useless debating what’s right or not with lady Seohyun. “Lady Seohyun, you know he really loves you, right? You don’t have to worry about royal first night. He always rejected all royal first night except now. I think he has his own reason. Please believe him”

 

Lady seohyun turned around to face the captain. She smiled bitterly to him “Captain Yonghwa, do you know what’s the different between hate and uncared?”

 

……………..

Flashback

***********

Phea, can I ask you a question?”

 

King Cho stopped his painting for a moment then faced lady Seohyun “What’s that, Hyun?”

 

She asked with a hesitant tone “Why do you always act so cold toward her?”

 

He chuckled “Do you mean about Min? I hate her. Simple”

 

Lady Seohyun was a bit startled hearing her lover had a nickname for Queen Min too. She couldn’t help but felt jealous. Thankfully she was already trained to control her feeling “So why did you agree to marry her in the first place?”

 

He sighed then stared at the night sky through his chamber’s window “Beside it is my father's last request. I respect her late mother too. You can say I am a fan of Lady Soo Ae. She is so pretty, wiseful, and down to earth. Min adhered her beauty but not her character. She is more like her father”

 

“Do you hate her only by that reason?... I ..I am sorry Phea, if I ask you too much” she stuttered a bit because she feared that she had acted rude toward the King. But the latter shook his head “It’s okay Hyun. I like sharing my thought with you”

 

“Actually it’s not her as herself that I hate about but…her smile I don’t know why I just hate it. She still could smile when her mother was sick. She even still had guts to meet me a day after her mother’s funeral. My dislike toward her has become bigger as she still give me that fake smile until now. I don’t believe she even truly loves me… Being a king has made me to not easily trust people. Especially to someone I couldn't read”

……………..........

End of Flashback

***************

 

As she recalled that memories, tears started rolling down again. “What do you mean?” Captain Yonghwa asked her. She stared back at the sky, the moon shined so lovely but it wasn’t enough to comfort her anxiety.

 

“If I didn’t ask too much question to him back then, I wouldn't have to worry so much like this...”

 

***

 

He walked out from Sungmin’s chamber. He looked frantic like a person who lost his direction. Actually he only meant to investigate her about her real intention toward lady Seohyun and would give Lord Eunhyuk a decent punishment due to Jonseong law  but it ended up with he threatened and hurt her. He touched his chest “Why does this feel hurt?”

 

Meanwhile, Sungmin was lying on his mattress. Trace of tears still not left from her pale cheeks. She said it. She finally said the forbidden words that her mother always warned her to not ever say it toward the King.

……………..........

Flashback

***************

“Mother, It seems like he doesn’t like me. I don’t have chance. Now, I am starting to hate him and that dirty girl” Little Sungmin who's still 8 years old told her mother.

 

“Sungmin!!!” She yelled at her. It’s the first time Lady Soo Ae yelled at her daughter made the little girl burst into tears. “You can’t hate him”

 

Her lips curled “Why, Mother?”

 

She held her daughter’s shoulder and knelt down to meet her eyes Sungmin, there is a reason why you can’t hate him. Why you’re forbidden to hate him”

 

“Because he will be the next King?”

 

Lady Soo Ae shook her head “No. It’s because Lee faction is Jonseong shadow. And your fate is to become his shadow. Leading a country can’t be done with only a wisdom and fairness but also with fear. The wisdom and fairness is belong to royal family and fear is belong to us”

 

“I don’t understand”

 

She hugged her little daughter and patted her back “You will understand it later. Now, stop crying. You can’t be his shadow if you cry. You must be strong”

 

“Mother, what will happen if I say that I hate him?”

 

She caressed Sungmin’s hair “No. Don’t ever think about it. If you do, you must punish yourself because you've just cut one of your bounds to him”

 

“And one more thing that you must remember, Sungmin. Lee family never have debt…”

 

……………..........

End of Flashback

***************

 

Sunkyu knocked the door in hurry “Min Mama, I have a news for you”

 

“Come in”

 

Sunkyu came inside. She brushed her remain tears “Min Mama, I don’t know this is a good news or not. But King Cho revoked the death punishment for Lord Eunhyuk and would send him as a slave to Jejudo. He is safe Min Mama…” Sungmin sighed in relief to hear that news.

 

“Min Mama, are you all right? You look so pale” Sunkyu asked.

 

Sungmin nodded wearily “It’s okay. Please take a seat”

 

She followed her words as always but something made her worried toward the Queen “Min Mama, what happen with your voice”

 

But Sungmin didn’t answer her question “Sunkyu. Please listen to me. This is my last words…”

 

***

 

This morning, Kyuhyun decided to take a walk around the palace to calm himself  by enjoying a morning breeze. He was not alone though. Captain Yonghwa walked beside him. Courtladies and eunuchs followed him behind. “Captain Yonghwa, are you spacing out to anywhere?” 

 

The latter startled to the sudden call “Oh, I am sorry, Phea

 

“Are you disappointed that I have revoked Lord Eunhyuk's death punishment? I have my own plan, captain. You don’t have to worry. I won’t forgive him that easy”

 

“May be I am a little bit disappointed, Phea. But the thing that made me spacing out before is not because of that but another thing”

 

“What’s that?”

 

Phea, do you know why Lord Eunhyuk and his followers call themselves as Jonseong Shadow?”

 

Kyuhyun’s eyes grew bigger to hear that “Jonseong shadow..?”

 

He nodded “Yes. Do you know what it's mean, Phea?”

 

Kyuhyun sighed. He preceded more steps to make a distance from the captain. “No. captain. I don’t know too”

 

……………..........

Flashback

***************

“Prince Kyuhyun, I hope you can accept my daughter” Lady Soo Ae, his history teacher revealed her wish for the first time to her pupil.

 

“I am sorry to say this but why all people force me to like her? How if I hate her? I really like you, Lady Soo Ae. But sorry not with your daughter. She is annoying”

 

Instead of angry, she giggled to the boy “You can hate her all you want, but don’t ever make her leave you. Because She is your shadow….”

 

“Shadow?”

 

She nodded “All things whether it is dead or life. All have their own shadow when they get light. Prince Kyuhyun, do you know what happen when your shadow leaves you?”

 

Kyuhyun shook his head. Lady Soo Ae’s expression changed all of sudden. Her usual delicate aura faded and be replaced with a tense yet intimidate one. It made the boy shrieked in fear. “It means there is no light. You will only face darkness…..”

 

“Lady, don’t joke like that. You scare me…”

 

Lady Soo Ae giggled again.

……………..........

End of Flashback

***************

 

Phea !!!”

 

Eunuch Kang came and distracted his thought.

 

“What happen?” he asked

 

Eunuch Kang was panting hard because of running “Min Mama....... She comes to Namwol pavilion !!!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

TBC

 



Here the new chapter guys  ^^. I had a bit trouble while updating this chapter because sometimes I can’t access this site. I don’t know TT__TT. Thanks for everyone who always give me comment in each chapter ^^. You gain my spirit to write this chapter. Please give COMMENT  AND SUBSCRIBE and tell me what you think ^^.