Destiny

The Mute Queen

At the prime minister Leeteuk’s house, all the main board members of Lee faction gathered around a large rectangular table to discuss their next step to defend their position on the royal court. They slowly lost the King’s trust with all disgraces the emperor had uncovered. Thanks to their rival Choi faction who was aiming to become a ruling party in Jonseong.

 

“What an important announcement you want to tell us at this late night, Lord Leeteuk?” A faction member asked the prime minister who’s sitting at the main chair. Lord Leeteuk glanced at Lady Yubin beside him, gave the female a chance to speak.

 

“I want to announce that Lord Sooman will come back to join us here. I have requested Queen Mother Insoo to persuade King Cho to invite him back to the palace” Lady Yubin stated firmly. Soon the news created a riot between the faction members. Some of them approved, the rest were just as opposite. Since the incident of Lord Eunhyuk three years ago, Lee faction was like divided into two groups. Radical side and moderate side. Radical side was affected by Lord Sooman influence, they tended to justify everything in a radical way which always triggered some angers from the emperor. While moderate side, they were still believing in their queen and obeying Jonseong rules.

 

“Are you sure about this, Lord Leeteuk? Isn’t the presence of Lord Sooman only adding more oil to the fire? Moreover, if Lord Sungjong were here, he would—” another faction member from moderate side stated his opinion.

 

Lady Yubin instantly hit the table hard with her fist and raised her voice “How dare you’re talking about Lee faction former leader like that?!!!!”. Suddenly the air in the room became quiet “Don’t speak about a dead person here! We are all in a critical condition right now. With a concubine from the rival faction bearing a child from King Cho, we couldn’t avoid the possibility of our queen to lose her throne because she has not produced any heir yet” she added.

 

“Lord Leeteuk, I think it’s time to show them the letter” Lady Yubin asked the prime minister. Like an obedient child, Lord Leeteuk took something from his sleeve then placed it on the table.

 

“What’s that, Lord Leeteuk?”

 

The man took a deep breath then said “A threatening letter. This is my third time receiving this. It’s said they have some proves of tax manipulation and slavery contract we did”

 

“I believe it’s just an empty threat”

 

Lord Leeteuk shook his head “No. It’s true. Because I know the person who spilled the secrets. It’s Lord Myungsoo. Our ex-faction member”

 

Most of them were balling a fist. Another betrayer added in Lee faction list “Lord Myungsoo is from moderate group, isn’t he!!!” a faction member from radical side stood up and pointed a finger to the person in front of him. The other man felt taken a back “Hey! Why are you pointing at me?”

 

“Lord Myungsoo is your close friend!!!”

 

“It doesn’t mean I would betray our faction like him!!!”

 

“Who know!!”

 

(Brakkkkk!!!!)

 

“ENOUGH !!!! Stop it!! Your useless argument wouldn’t help our situation right now” Lady Yubin shouted out loud after hitting the table harder than the previous time. The two faction members who had pointed each other sat back to their chair.

 

“Madam, if we tell King Cho the truth that we did that manipulation to strenghthen our military base at North Fortress, I think he will understand” A moderate member said his opinion.

 

Lady Yubin shook her head “No. He won’t understand. For him, corruption is corruption. Eventhough we did that to avoid barbarians attack from Mongol”

 

“How about Queen Min. I am sure she can help us. She was the one who approved our plan” He added. Most of the faction members nodded in agreement.

 

Lady Yubin took a long breath “I shouldn’t tell you this, but I think you all need to know. Maybe some of you has heard about me bringing a shaman into Gyeongbok palace. The first layer of the sacred bond between Queen Min and King Cho has been broken”

 

Everyone except Lady Yubin widened their eyes in shock. They might not know well what would  happen when first layer of the bond was broken, but they knew when the bond was broken completely, bad lucks would coat Jonseong land for seven generations. Like droughts, crop failures, uncuring disease, rebellions, and invasion from foreign country.

 

Lord Jungmin, who knew so well about the sacred bond, asked “If you has brought a shaman here, is that mean the second layer has been broken too?”. Soon the room filled with more riot again. Lady Yubin stood up and smiled in confident “Don’t worry. The second layer is almost saved now. Madam Sohee has done a purification ceremony. She said the second layer is slowly joined together again. It’s our duty now to fix the first layer. By bringing Lord Sooman back into politic again, we have done the first step to recover our power as Jonseong Shadow again ...”

 

Everyone nodded in agreement. After three years, that was the first time both radical side and moderate side having the same mindset again. Lady Yubin turned to face Ye Eun who stood at a corner near the door and sent her a silent message by nodding her head. The courtlady quickly exited the room.

 

“Now gentlemen, there’s a person I want you to meet. The person who can help us to get out from this misery”

 

Everyone raised their brows and turned their eyes together toward the door. After a minute of deafening silent, soon they heard footsteps. They suddenly felt some goosebumps running through their spine. As the person passed the entrance, finally they understood from where those fear were coming.

 

His appearance might be a bit changed due to his age, but it never decreased his intimidating charisma. A former leader of Lee faction. Someone whom even Lord Sungjong and the previous King thought of him as a dangerous person. Lord Lee Sooman had been standing in front of them.

 

Everyone bowed 900 to the old man “Welcome back, My Lord !!!”

 

The old man smiled widely toward them then let out a light chuckle “Seems like I have to stop gardening for a while ...”

 

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~#*SJ*#~~~~

 

 

It was looked like just the usual morning at Gyeongbok palace. After the heavy rain last night, the sky above the palace was so clear and birds were chirping happily accross it. Those might be the reason why most people in the palace looked like in a good mood. No exception in the Queen pavilion. All the courtladies there never thought a day like this would come after three years where their queen was ordering people around, making them lined up in front of her chamber and brought various set of make up tools and hanbok.

 

“What is the lip color she has chosed?” A courtlady who was standing before the door asked the courtlady who just exited the chamber bringing a tray with a lot of lip coloring powder. The latter whispered to her “Dark red”. Other courtladies who were overhearing behind looked surprised. Queen Min never picked up that color after three years. “I suddenly feel scared, right now” the courtlady who was holding a tray with powders for eyeshadow became nervous.

 

“Next!”

 

They could hear courtlady Sunkyu called the next courtlady. As she entered the room, she saw Queen Min was surrounded by three courtladies. Courtlady Dasom was massaging her shoulders, the new hired courtlady, Sulli was holding a big mirror in front of her, and the last one, courtlady Sunkyu was applying peach cloured powder to the queen’s cheek.

 

“Min Mama, you look so pretty with a black hanbok like that” Sulli complimented the queen. The latter only smiled shortly as an answer while kept looking at her face into the mirror.

 

“What do you bring, Seungyeon?” Sunkyu asked the courtlady from cosmetic department.

 

Seungyeon knelt closer and put the tray with a shaking hands “Be careful!! You almost mixed them up!!!” Sunkyu snapped at her.

 

“I—I am sorry. I bring eyeshadows from various flo—flower ashes, indigo plants and go—gold powder” she said with stuttering voice. She looked up  and found Queen Min was glowering at her as if she were angry with the courtlady’s clumsy acts.

 

“What colour do you want, Min Mama?” Sunkyu asked her queen. Sungmin was still staring at Seungyeon and uttered a word ‘Leave!toward the courtlady. Seungyeon didn’t understood what she said. Sunkyu frowned seeing the queen was having a mood swing again. She glanced at Seungyeon “You can leave, Seungyeon. Leave the tray here”. The courtlady bowed in confuse then took her leave.

 

“Min Mama ...” Sunkyu called.

 

Tell her that she has to fix her childish voice or I will send her to the Laundry Department. Washing clothes in her entire life’

 

“Yes, Min Mama” Sunkyu replied. While the queen started to pick the color for her eyeshadows. Sunkyu couldn’t help to not feel surprised and also familiar at the same time. It reminded her of the Queen Min she knew before the incident three years ago. She should feel happy that finally her queen could move on but somehow she missed the sweet and delicate Queen Min whom she always saw whenever the latter had Heechul’s company.

 

“Min Mama, Eunuch Ryeowook comes to deliver King Cho’s message” They heard Courtlady Gahee spoke up outside the door.

 

Sungmin swayed aside her chin as a sign to Sunkyu. The courtlady walked to open the door and let the eunuch entered the chamber.

 

As the man entered the room, he gave her a rolled paper while kept bowing his head toward the queen “Min Mama, I bring a message from His Majesty for you” he said. As he looked up to the queen, he nearly let out a surprising shriek “Hhhhhk?!!!!”

 

Being oblivious or not, Sungmin didn’t care with Ryeowook’s reaction but more curious toward the meaning of the only written word in the letter.

 

GIFT’

 

Sungmin knitted her eyebrows remembering she had once sent a similar letter to the man three years ago. This wasn’t so like him. She stared back at the eunuch firmly and showed the content of that paper before him.

 

What’s the meaning of this ?!!!!’

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~#*SJ*#~~~~

 

 

 

 

“What is this, Mother?” Kyuhyun questioned what was the meaning of a rolled paper Queen Mother Insoo just gave him at his working chamber.

 

“You can read it by yourself, don’t you? An official instruction to invite Lord Lee Sooman to become a courtboard member again” She said.

 

“Mother, you know totally why I won’t let that kind of man to enter royal politics in Jonseong again. If father were still alive, he would also—“

 

“Kyuhyun, keeping both of the ruling parties stay in balance is your duty as a king. Choi faction may be contained of a lot of genius scholars but they never could be able to exceed Lee faction's capability in military force. Sixty percent of the soldiers we sent in the last war mostly were private soldiers from Lee faction families yet now you sent some of their leaders to jail” his mother tried to argue. But the King stood still with his principle “No, Mother. Justice must be upheld over anything. That is my real duty”

 

Queen Mother Insoo took a deep breath. She knew it wasn’t easy to persuade her stubborn son. But that was for his own sake. It’s only her, his mother, who could protect his son’s position as a King of Jonseong.

 

“Son, I heard you want to give prince Yesung a position as a courtboard member”

 

Kyuhyun smiled genuinely at her “Yes, Mother. He has a very important role in exterminating a lot of  rebellions throughout Jonseong. I think with him here, we don’t have to rely on Lee faction too much in military power”

 

“You know it violates Jonseong rules, to have a royal family member participating in politics. Especially Prince Yesung. Your step brother. A person in line who could be a King of Jonseong instead of you”

 

“Mother, Yesung Hyung would never want a throne”

 

“Who knows!!!” She snapped to her son "Who can guarantee that once he is allowed to do politic, he won't become greedy desiring a higher position?"

 

Kyuhyun clutched his hands, feeling totally disappointed why his mother never accepted Prince Yesung as a family member as they shared the same father “What do you want, Mother?”

 

“I will allow Prince Yesung to stay in this palace with one condition. You have to allow Lord Sooman to enter the palace as courtboard member too”

 

Kyuhyun hid a growl in his throath. His mother never used his weakness to threaten him before. He disliked the idea of Lord Sooman came back into politic again but he needed Prince Yesung by his side. “Fine, Mother. As you wish”. With an upset gestures, Kyuhyun took out a wooden stamp from a tiny box on his table then stamped a royal seal on the intruction letter and gave it back to his mother.

 

“You don’t know how thankful I am for getting this from you, Son”

 

“I really don’t understand you, Mother”

 

“You will understand it one day. This is for your own sake” told his mother before leaving his working chamber.

 

Kyuhyun sat back on his chair, staring at the wooden stamp for a second then throwing it to the floor out of frustration.

 

(knock ...knock ...knock...)

 

“Who?”

 

“It’s me Kangin, Phea”

 

“Come in!”

 

Eunuch Kang entered his chamber then made a deep bow “Captain Yonghwa along with 4 royal main guards are going to pick up Queen Min right now” he reported.

 

The King was staring blankly on the table before him then taking a long breath “How about that person?”

 

“Changmin has been waiting him... I mean... waiting her at the east gate. If she comes at the promised time, everything will be according to your plan” Kangin replied. Although he knew today guest’s real identity, he had to make it as a secret.

 

Kyuhyun nodded plainly then stood up while fixing his head “Okay. Let’s go”

 

“Phea ...” Eunuch Kang tried to speak something. Hesitation did haunting his mind if the words he would be saying would be sound impolite toward the emperor.

 

“What is it, Eunuch Kang?”

 

“Is this all right, Phea? Doing something like this?” Kyuhyun was staring at him in silent, Kangin quickly threw a deep bow “I am—I am sorry, Phea”

 

Instead of getting mad for being judged with Kangin’s straight forward question, Kyuhyun formed a smile. When Kangin looked back to face the King, he could see a sight of sadness inside his eyes.

 

“I know it’s sound cruel but I need to do this, Eunuch Kang. The gift. Whatever she does toward it will decide  whether I have to get rid this bothersome (feeling) thing or not...”

 

 

 

 

~~~~#*SJ*#~~~~

 

 

At the promised time, two certain gisaengs were standing in front of East Gate at Gyeongbok palace and kept chattering to each other without making a move. They dressed pretty nicely with plain color hanbok and less make up because they came there not to seduce anyone but performing art.

 

“Is this why you rejected to get back into dance competition? Because you will playing a gayageum in front of King Cho by yourself?”

 

“Ah shut up! I bring you with me here to help bringing my precious Gayageum, not to lecture me for being selfish”

 

“Hah! So you admit you’re selfish? You have to apologyze to Jiyeon, you know”

 

“I have my reason, Hyo!!”

 

“You know what, Heenim? Eventhough I have been living with you for 7 years, hearing your Heehee (woman) voice is still giving me a terrible fever”

 

“Say it again, I will cut your breath by strangling your neck”

 

“Um..., excuse me?”

 

“But Heenim, come to think again, do you think it’s a bit strange? Inviting a countryfied gisaeng like you?”

 

“Aaaaah why are you so noisying?”

 

“Noisying is not a word”

 

“Who care!!”

 

“Me”

 

“I don’t ask!!”

 

“EXCUSE MEEEEE !!!”

 

A tall man who wore a royal bodyguard costume was interrupting Heechul and Hyoyeon’s conversation for the second time with a loud voice. He lost his patient as he glared at the two gisaengs, his shouders were up and down breathlessly. Heechul and Hyoyeon dumbfoundedly stared back to the tall man “Who are you? Since when you’re here?” Hyoyeon asked.

 

Changmin grithed his teeth “I am Shim Changmin, a royal main guard of King Cho. I have been here since you said you’re selfish?” Changmin folded his arms to show his annoyance. Both of the gisaengs formed an O-shape on their lip.

 

“Are you Lady Heehee and Lady Hyoyeon?” Changmin tried to be sound friendly again.

 

“What’s take you so long? We’ve been waiting you!!” Instead of answering, Hyoyeon scolded him.

 

Before Changmin could say anything, Heechul just take his gayageum then turned to walk toward the palace gate “Let’s go, Hyoyeon. I want to finish this as quick as possible then go to my bed” he said with cold tones which giving a tense atmosphere in an instant. Hyoyeon was obediently following him from behind and stopped to tease the bodyguard.

 

As the name of King Cho was mentioned, Heechul’s playfull side changed into serious. He couldn’t help to wonder why the emperor invited him to the palace as a bargain for his freedom. The King had known who he was, thus he was so sure that watching him perfomed a gayageum was not the sole reason why he wanted to meet him. Moreover if he recalled the way king Cho looked at him in resentment when they met for the first time in prison. He was so deep in thought as he didn’t realize he just bumped onto someone’s shoulder pretty hard.

 

“I am sorry” heechul said (still in his woman voice) without looking at the person he bumped to then continued to walk.

 

That person turned to watch his back “Madam Sohee, are you okay?” Sunye asked her master. The former didn’t mind the pain in her shoulder but something else “When I bumped shoulders with that woman, I heard a voice”. Sunye lifted up her eyebrows “Voice?”. Madam Sohee was still watching Heechul’s figure until it’s disappeared from the gate with worried face “Firebird ... It’s humming”

 

“Madam, you must be tired because of the purification ceremony we held last night”

 

Madam Sohee sighed “Maybe... But I have a bad hunch about this”

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~#*SJ*#~~~~

 

 

 

“Why are you bringing a handcuffs, Jungshin? We aren’t going to arrest someone” captain Yonghwa said on their way to Queen Min pavilion.

 

“I don’t know, Sir. His Majesty only told me that I must hanged this thing beside my waist today” Jungshin shrugged.

 

“Sir, Look! It’s Queen Min and her courtladies” Jonghyun pointed out a group of females just coming out from pavilion.

 

“Wait! Is it really Queen Min? It’s been a while she dresses up like that again! She looks so hot” Another royal main guard, Chansung, looked surprised. Jungshin quickly nudged the younger’s elbow “Yah! Lower your voice!!”

 

Captain Yonghwa fastened his steps so did the other guards. As they reached closer to the Queen, they bowed their back to show their respects “We come to pick you to King Cho, Min Mama”

 

Sungmin stared at the captain then smiled smugly Is Sun rose up from the west today for sending captain Yonghwa to pick me up? You didn’t mistake me as lady Seohyun, did you?’ mocked her. Sunkyu took a gulp, she was hesitated for a second whether she had to utter Queen Min’s insult toward Captain Yonghwa or not. But it was her duty after all “She—she said Is sun rose up from the west today for sending captain Yonghwa to pick me up? You didn’t mistake me as—“

 

Sungmin!!!!” everyone turned toward the person whom audaciously dared to call the queen by name like that. Sunkyu watched the person in shock. She didn’t have any idea how that person could enter Gyeongbok palace security.

 

The gisaeng approached Sungmin and held her shoulder “Sungmin, what are you doing here? Are they arresting you?” Heechul asked with a worried face. Sungmin’s cold expression changed with shockness drawn on her face in a second. She thought she was imagining thing. That was totally impossible this gisaeng really appeared in front of her ‘Hee..Heechul-shi?

 

Heechul turned around to face Captain Yonghwa “You’re captain Yonghwa, right? The one who freed me from prison. Sungmin didn’t have any relation to my—“

 

(Brukk!!!)

 

Heechul found him self been thrown out to the ground as someone pulled his back harshly. It’s appeared the person was Lady Yubin who just arrived from Prime Minister house “HOW DARE YOU CALL QUEEN MIN BY HER NAME !!!” the latter screamed out loud toward Heechul with full rage.

 

Heechul didn’t really feel the pain of his fall because of a total shock he got after hearing what Lady Yubin said. Heechul turned his sight toward Sungmin “Qu...Queen ???!”

 

“Capture her !!! Who let this insolent yet shameless woman to enter Gyeongbok Palace?” Lady Yubin ordered Captain Yonghwa to arrest Heechul.

 

“It’s me” Everyone recognized King Cho’s voice immediately and bowed their backs 900 except the shocked Queen Min and Heechul.

 

Three persons who entangled in the same destiny since 13 years ago finally met at the same place ....

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

TBC

 



Finally I can manage to make a double updates for celebrating 500 subscribers and 100 voters. Thank you so much for all the feedbacks you gave me. I really am thankful. I hope you like both chapters Pain and Destiny. I also give you another teaser for following chapters of The Mute Queen ^^ .

Please don't forget to give me your comments about the both chapter ^^ !!! Thank you so much :D

 

4TH TEASER

“Min Mama, do you know this person?”

“What the heck are you doing here, Hankyung?”

“Why do I have to wear this?”

“Don’t laugh or I punch you!”

“You look good on it. Disturbingly cute as long as you close your mouth”

“I—I just want to return this”

“Concert?”

“Hahaha ... so he had proposed her”

“I will take them all. Those smiles. Her prince. This ing new kingdom. Everything!!”

“I will show everyone that Lee Sungmin will always win”