Doubt

The Mute Queen

“My prince majesty! My prince majesty!!! Lady Boyoung!!!!”Kangin run breathlessly toward him. His face was covered with sweat, looking at Kyuhyun in horror. “What has happened with Boyoung Nuna?” He asked. Kangin needed sometimes to recover his breath back to normal but those seconds of silent made Kyuhyun lost his patient “Tell me!!!”.

 

“She is... she is drowned  at the pool in front of Namwol pavilion”

 

“What!!!”Kyuhyun rushed toward the young boy who soon to be his eunuch and grabbed his upper cloth“You’re not joking, right Hyung?” His grip was trembling, his whole body followed after. The person whom he looked up like an older sister.A best friend. This was too soon. He had not said it yet. An apology for their quarrel at his study room yesterday.

 

“Boyoung Nuna, you don’t have to enter for the crown princess selection. I can tell my mother to cancel your proposal. I understand this is for your father’s sake but your action will only gain hate from Lee Faction”

“That’s why, Prince Kyuhyun. I can’t let them win. If she become the crown princess, they will brainwash you. Jonseong people has suffered enough because of that faction. We can’t let them become more powerful than this”

“Don’t worry. I can handle it myself. Beside I don’t have any feeling toward that girl named Lee Sungmin. I won’t let them control me. I will choose another candidate.”

“Prince Kyuhyun, do you dislike me that much for becoming your bride? Or is there someone you like already?”

“It’s... it's not like that Nuna. You are my bestfriend”

“Just let me secure that position until you find your real love, Kyuhyun”

“Nuna! You don’t understand!!!”

 

 

He arrived at the scene. The princess from Kim family was laid lifelessly at the pool side. Kyuhyun run toward the crowd and found Seohyun was trying to push Boyoung’s chest area continuously  to make the princess letting out the water from her stomach.

 

“Miss, I told you, she is not breathing anymore” a royal doctor who already tried his best to spew out the water in Lady Boyoung's stomach before her told the young courtlady that it’s too late.

 

Seohyun kept shaking her head.  She looked tired after recklessly jumped to the pool to rescue the princess she served for long. Tears kept flowing as the realization of her lady had gone  “No. My lady is still alive. I know it”.

 

“Nuna!!” Kyuhyun approached the beautiful lifeless young lady, knelt beside her pale body and lifted her up to his lap. He shook her face “Nuna, this is a joke, right? You like joking. You always fool me since I am 5 years old and pretend to be a dead person to scare me, right? Please wake up!!”His voice was shaking. He didn’t know death was not a myth, it’s real, that life could be this fragile. The colour on her face had been fading. Her pinky lip became purple and her eyes closed tight.‘Is this my punishment?’ he thought. First his grandfather died, then his brother Yesung got expelled from the palace and now Boyoung also left him without a single good bye. The people he closed the most, the ones who made him to feel like a human being had left him one by one.

 

“Agashi, we have to go. Your mother Lady Soo Ae call you” Kyuhyun looked up at the source of the voice and found a young Sungmin, a  strong candidate from Lee faction stood between the crowd and was staring at him, no, she was staring at Boyoung coldly. Without simpathy.

 

Kyuhyun wasn't sure why but some angers soon flared up inside him as he looked at her eyes. Then all of a sudden the people who surrounded him became blurry. Seohyun who sat acrossed him also froze as if   she didn’t breath at all. There were some noises started to annoy his ears. Some people’s talking but he couldn’t clearly hear them since they’re mixed up. Like whispers, echoing inside his ears from no where but certain.

 

‘Do you know that Lady Boyoung’s death is actually not an accident?”

‘Is that true?’

“I heard some courtladies saw her with Lord Sungjong’s daughter, Lee Sungmin. They debated about something and made Lady Boyoung cried’

‘are you sure?’

 ‘It must be about crown princess selection’

‘I heard she was slipped by herself’

‘When she is in the water, she asked for help but Lady Sungmin only watched her drown and remained unmoving’

“Oh My God... but I heard some gossip from Jinbbang courtladies that Lady Sungmin pushed her”

‘But Younghee said Lady Sungmin did run to somewhere asking for help’

“Do you believe her? She is promoted by Lee’s family. Of course she will defend her lady. Beside couldn’t she just swim and help her?”

“She must be afraid her clothes to be dirty”

“Seohyun cried overnight and blamed herself why she came too late and couldn’t save her lady”

“It’s not her fault”

 

Kyuhyun looked around. His surrounding became all white. Boyoung’s body was disappeared too.

 

“It’s my fault...” He glanced at his left side and saw Seohyun was crying “Seohyun” Kyuhyun called.

 

“It’s my fault. I shouldn’t leave her and let her speaking with Lord Sungjong’s daughter”

 

Kyuhyun tried to reach her and comforted her but his hand just passed through her and soon her figure disappeared into the thin air. He then saw someone stood in front of him. With that cold smile again. 

 

Kyuhyun stood up “What happened between you and Boyoung nuna?”

 

“We talked”

 

“What is it about?”

 

“She want me to cancel my application. I refused. Then I asked her to not hope something she couldn’t reach. She got mad”  she said calmly.

 

“Is it true that you let her die?”

 

“I had tried my best to help, Prince Kyuhyun. Death is all people’s destiny. When it comes, it comes. Even if I didn’t meet her before accident, she still would die if it’s really her time”

 

Kyuhyun eyed her with displeased gaze and took a step closer toward her “How could you say those things easily?”

 

“If a life span has smell, don’t you think it would make world much better? That there’s no useless people who would do useless thing. Right Prince Kyuhyun?”

 

Kyuhyun grabbed her shoulder “Where the hell do you get this excesssive confidence of yours, Sungmin? Are you sure you will become my bride? Do you want to win that much and get rid of people who want to interfere you?”.

 

Kyuhyun's eyes grew wide. Suddenly, yet strangely, the person he held this time changed to be an adult Sungmin, not the younger one. Not only her but him too. They're both became adults. The adult sungmin smiled “To become your wife is my destiny”

 

Kyuhyun raised his voice and shook her “This is why I can’t accept you!! Your acting all this time is only make me to get further from you!!”

 

Sungmin didn’t answer him immediately. Her stare which previously looked blank were filled with water. But strangely it’s not the stare of someone got hurt. She let out some tears but her lip formed a smile. A different smile  from before. It’s not the cold one but the warm one. Kyuhyun felt he saw this kind of smile before but he didn’t remember when. He was sure this arrogant girl was never smiled like this.

 

Sungmin reached his cheek with her right palm “You've comeback...” she whispered with a gentle voice.

 

“Comeback?” Kyuhyun felt confused. His heart started beating faster. This was new. He always felt tensed whenever he met her but this feel was different. He looked into her eyes and got shocked.

 

It’s not his reflection that he saw on her dark orbs, but someone else.

 

Sungmin smiled wider and moved to hug him “Heechul, please take me with you ...”

 

Kyuhyun felt something collapsed inside him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Ukh.....hhhhhhkkk !!!” His first breath was felt like choking him. His eyes opened widely. He’s panting hard. It took sometimes for him to realize that he faced the ceiling of his own chamber right now.

 

Phea, what happen? Are you having a nightmare?” He turned and found Lady Seohyun looked at him worrily on the bed side.

 

He tried to sit but an unwelcome headache just attacked him without warning “Ugh....” he groaned and reflectly massaged his temple.

 

Phea, are you alright? I’ll call Eunuch Kang”

 

“I am okay. Just a bad dream. Hyun, what are you doing here?”

 

Seohyun was stunned for a second. ‘what are you doing here?’. It’s the first time Kyuhyun said such question. He usually allowed her to come to his chamber all she wanted eventhough mostly she did it secretly to avoid Queen Min’s jealousy or the talk about the King’s favoritism toward her.

 

“I... I just miss you. And... I also want to show you something” She held his hand and meant to move it to touch her stomach  "Look, our baby is mov--"

 

“Please not now, Hyun. I am tired...”

 

Seohyun stared at him. Her hopefull eyes soon died with disappointment. She carressed her own stomach “I am sorry if I disturb you. I’ll leave now” she bowed her head then turned around.

 

Kyuhyun scratched his hair, felt a bit guilty then sighed “Hyun, wait!!!”. She stopped then turned around.

 

“I am sorry. It’s just.... I have so much tiring works and I don’t want it to affect you. I hope you understand”

 

Seohyun formed a smile “I understand, Phea”. She turned to leave but after a second she turned to face him again “Do you remember, Phea? When I was a special Gungnyeo, I used to be your friend to discuss about everything and it’s included to listen all of your worries”

 

Kyuhyun smiled at her and nodded “Of course I remember. You’re my best advisor”

 

“I just want to say that I am still I was. Becoming your concubine doesn’t mean I stopped being a friend whom you can count on. I am sorry, but I feel like... I don’t know you anymore lately” Her last word sounded trembling. She didn’t want him to see her tears so she turned her back again “I’ll leave now”.

 

As she walked closer to the door’s chamber, a pair of arms circled around her waist “I am sorry. It’s just so hard these days”

 

Seohyun leaned her back to his chest “Then talk to me. It may be less hard for you”. Kyuhyun chuckled. Suddenly he remembered Seohyun’s letter as the pumpkin girl 15 years ago. Her touching words that had made him fell in love to her.

 

“I will take his pain so he can lead this country well”

 

“Thank you. But... I don’t know how to begin”

 

Seohyun turned around and face her husband “How about talk about your last nightmare?”

 

“I dreamed about Boyoung nuna and .... ” he replied.

 

Seohyun held her breath as she heard her former lady's name “You... you dreamed about that incident, didn’t you?”

 

“Yes. You know eventhough we’re 2 years apart, she was like my best friend and –“

 

“It’s just the past, Phea. It happened 13 years ago. You just miss her”

 

Kyuhyun sighed “I think so but...” He couldn’t continue his words. He wondered why that  sad memory came up to surface again after 13 years. Was this really just because his subconscious missed the lady? Or because it’s the beginning for him to close his heart toward that person? His queen.

 

“Then what’s the thing that has been bothering you lately? I heard you are lacked of sleeps these days too” Seohyun asked again.

 

Kyuhyun shook his head “It’s okay. Don’t worry. It’s nothing that I can’t handle”

 

“Is it about Queen Min?”

 

Kyuhyun was frozen for a second as he heard Seohyun’s bold question “It’s...It is...”

 

Seohyun smiled softly “Seems like I am right. It’s okay Phea to talk about her in front of me. I am not only your concubine but also your friend. I understand after the incident three years ago, you must be felt a bit guilty about her condition”

 

Kyuhyun turned around and walked toward the window in front of him then opened it.“I don’t know Hyun. I am just wondering if I did the right thing”

 

“It’s okay to feel guilty. That kind of thing is just showing that you’re a human being. You did the right thing, Phea”

 

Kyuhyun let out a long sigh “Thanks Hyun. That’s not my main worry, though”

 

“What is it?” her tones made she’s sounded less patient. “I—I am sorry. I don’t mean to force you. It’s okay if you don’t ta—“

 

“I feel upset”

 

“Upset?”

 

He stared up to the sky outside. He felt guilty, might be yes, but it’s not his main concern right now. He was the man who never held any problem unsolved on his hand for a long times. But this couldn’t be solved since his problem right now was an invisible and unreal. It’s like you’re aiming to walk on cutton clouds but once you reached them you realized that there’s no cuttons but vapors.

 

He clutched the fabric on his chest “It’s something that doesn’t suppose to be there. An illusion”

 

“I don’t understand”

 

“I hope I understand, Hyun. I hope I do ...”

 

Kyuhyun closed his eyes. He didn’t want to think about it but his mind kept stating the same words...

 

Because I start to see her as a woman and it scares me...

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~#*SJ*#~~~~

 

 

Under Chief Siwon’s order, Lee’s family soldiers secretly spread out toward all the musician association members place at the same time. They showed up unnoticed as if they came from a shadow that’s rising up to take over it’s owner then they enjoyly used their fear and played with it until they got what they wanted to.

 

“Who—who are you? Wha—what do you want?” He said stutteredly toward  some men with black outfits who stood around him after someone put off his blindfold. He found himself was tied on a wooden chair in a place which seemed like an abandoned barn. He remembered he just came out from the toilet at his house, but out of a blue his body was like got beaten up in a mere second without having a chance to see the attacker.

 

The air was warm but his teeth were chattering as if he got a cold. But no. It’s not from the cold but fear especially from the nearest one in front of him, whom was straightly staring at him. The only man who didn’t use a mask stepped closer and leaned to his ear “How lucky you are, Mr. Junjin. Someone who dealed with us is usually extraordinary” whispered him. Making the magistrate shivered.

 

Siwon knew exactly how to use people’s fear, to interogate them not with snapping nor yelling because it took too much energy and time consuming. In Lee clan, they would like using a whisper or a low tone to manipulate their victim’s emotion to find the truth from their fear.

 

“Do you know who I am? I am a magistrate. I... I can make you go to jail!!!” His breath rushed, made Siwon smirked “Not if you leave this place alive” he said while brushing unexist dusts on the magistrate’s shoulder.

 

Siwon bent his shoulder to make him in an eye level with the magistrate then smiled “Or just cooperate with us and we will try our best to send you home safely after you signed this”  He showed a paper in front of him. Junjin read it and twitched his brows “Canceling Kim Heechul’s charge? (Scoff) Do you think I am easily threatened by that? No, he’s a criminal” Junjin replied with anger.

 

Siwon shook his head slowly “Hmmmm.... don’t suddenly act like you’re a truthful officer who hold justice over everything”. He then moved to his side and whispered to his ear “We know what you have done behind your badge. We know your secret”

 

Junjin shook his head “No, you’re lying”

 

Siwon chuckled “Should we show you the prove?” he said as he took another paper from his soldier then showed it to the magistrate “You know if we show this document to the Royal Investigation Bureau about the list of bribery you did by freeing criminals from  some rich family. This will be your end”

 

His eyes widened in shock. He tried to shake his body forcely as if that action could disentangle the rope that was tying him “How did you get that?!!! You’re making it”.

 

“Hey, easy fella. The rope may hurt you” Siwon teased.

 

“What’s that transgender mean to you. Is he your lover? Hah !!!” He mocked. Another man with mask nearly hit him but Siwon prevented him “Jinki, don’t!”

 

“Jinki?” Junjin stared at the masked man. He removed the mask and greeted the magistrate “Sir” he said coldly.

 

“YOU BASTARD !!!” Junjin lost control and yelled at him. He was sure it’s Jinki, the police officer from the same district, who leaked that information.

 

“Are all of you Jung Yunho’s follower? Then I am right that Kim Heechul is a spy, huh?”

 

“Whether he is related to Jung Yunho or anyone. We don’t really care anyway. If we’re Jung Yunho’s followers, we don’t need to kidnap you but directly take him from prison” Siwon said. He moved closer again “Actually, we’re being nice to you here Sir. Just sign this or we will kill you”

 

Junjin scoffed “What.... what if I won’t? You can’t free Heechul either. Be—beside most musician association members had signed the petition too. It’s—it’s not easy. Another magistrate will take over the case” his words seemed thoughful but the shakening tone he used was making Siwon’s sure he was bluffing.

 

“Ah, you mean Magistrate Nam? Don’t worry, he’s our friend. About your signature, we can fake it. Just like I said before we’re being nice here by politely asking your signature because we respect you. Right Jinki?”

 

“Yes, Hyungnim” Jinki said, exactly knowing that Siwon lied about Magistrate Nam. They didn’t even meet him before. They just knew that the fella was Junjin’s partner in crime.

 

“Ah, I nearly forget. Thanks for mentioning about the musicians. Jinki, do you bring the meat” Siwon asked him.

 

Another trap from Siwon, Jinki offered the small bundle to his leader and tried so hard to hide his laugh. Siwon showed the contain. Soon Junjin’s eyes filled with horror as he stared at the bloody meats especially as he noticed something that looked like thumbs.

 

“Don’t worry. It’s not all of them. We have gotten almost signatures but some people refused to sign so we cut their thumb”. Siwon whispered again to his ear “You can take this home as a souvenier and make a soup”

 

“Okay!! Okay!! I get it. I will sign it. I will sign it!!!” Junjin said quickly. Siwon smiled and signed his subordinates to untie the rope.

 

After he signed the document he asked Siwon “If  you’re not from Jung Yunho’s followers, then who are you?”

 

“We’re not at the same level with those douchebags. Try it higher” Siwon smiled.

 

Junjin let out a relieved sigh as he stood up. He tapped the dust on his thigh “I hope I won’t deal with crazy guys like you anymore”. But it’s looked like his hope to go home had gone as some of Siwon’s subordinate grabbed him again and tied him back to the chair.

 

“Yah, what is this? I have given you what you want!!” Junjin protested.

 

“I am sorry Sir. I would like to release you now but my superior said that before you go back, you must get the same punishment as much as Heechul got” Siwon replied as he knelt in front of him and stared at his toes.

 

“What you did to Heechul is Jonseong standard torture by inserting two wooden poles between his shin. As for us, we have another effective method which doesn’t need much energy but can make the pain multiply by 10 times than the standard one” Siwon took something from his pocket which looked like chopsticks then placed them crossly between two certain fingers.

 

“Wait !!! This isn’t like our deal. You promised me that I could go home safely!!!” Junjin said panickly.

 

“I said we will try our best to send you home safely, Sir” Siwon smirked before he pulled the chopsticks together made the magistrate let out the loudest scream ever in his life

 

“Aarrrrrrgh.........Aaaaaarrrrrkk...............!!!!!”

 

 

 

 

~~~~#*SJ*#~~~~

 

 

Meanwhile, Queen Min and Sunkyu had arrived at Petal House. There’s only Hyoyeon and the rest of gisaengs. They assured them that Siwon was trying his best to help Heechul now. Sunkyu observed her queen who’d been walking back and forth at the terrace waiting worrily for Heechul to comeback. It’s not easy to get out from the palace by borrowing royal horses  without anyone got suspicious especially when Lady Yubin’s people around. But this time, Lady Yubin was too busy to get her official position in the palace. Such a nice timing for them.

 

“Are you sure that Heenim will be released today, Sunkyu-shi?” asked Hyoyeon who stood beside her.

 

“I am sure. He definitely go back” (Siwon will bring him for sure). Then she recalled her secret conversation with Sungmin again, especially her answer which made the courtlady decided to help her queen.

 

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Flashback
****************

 

“Min Mama, do you like Heechul as a friend or as a man?”

 

She saw the Queen gapped and doubtly took a step backward after hearing her question. Sunkyu didn’t care with herself but her queen's safety. She knew the gisaeng had been making Sungmin looked so alive and happy, but her woman’s intuition kept telling her if she let this kept happening, she’s afraid her feeling to Heechul would lead to a deeper feeling like love. It’s too dangerous even for the fearless woman like Sungmin. For her, Sungmin’s safety is everything.

 

The air around was left unanswered for seconds and it’s quite a torture. She knew she was being impolite but this was more important that her own life. If Sungmin asked her to kill herself right at this time, she would gave it immediately without hesitate.

 

“I understand what you’re worried about. But don’t worry I ....... I know my own position. At least let me meet him for the last time. Not at the prison, but at his house...”

 

Although it was not the answer she expected, she assumed it as a promise to not purposely meet the Gisaeng outside Gyeongbok palace again. That’s why she decided to help her.

 

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
End of Flashback
****************

 

Her thought was soon interfered by a sound of a cart that got pulled by a horse. She saw Sungmin stopped her passing as she stared at the three people on the cart. Her face colour became brighter as she noticed Heechul was one of them as the cart got closer.

 

“Heenim  !!!!” Hyoyeon ran to approach the cart. Other gisaengs also rushed to the windows to see their master. When it stopped in front of the house, Hangeng just walked down then helped Heechul by circling the gisaeng’s arm around his neck. Heechul walked limply. He wore back his former clothes before he was sent to jail. His hair was let fall down unraveled. He probably asked Hangeng or someone to get him a comb. But the bruises on his face were unavoided for every eyes. It made Sungmin’s heart shrunk somehow. Because of some misunderstanding and discrimination toward the gisaeng.

 

“Heenim, let me help you” Hyoyeon said to hold his another side.

 

But Heechul lifted up a hand “No. I am okay. Just take that wooden crutch sticks for me, Hyoyeon. I may use it for two days or three” Heechul said. He looked so tired.

 

Sungmin came approaching him. From Sunkyu’s view, it’s not like an expression of someone meeting their long lost friend but something else. Sunkyu didn’t know if she was being over sensitive or whatever but the way Sungmin smiled right now, it was like a woman who welcomed her lover from a battle field.

 

Sungmin stopped in front of him, so did Heechul. Hangeng knew who the person that stood in front of them and slightly bowed his head to Sungmin.

 

“You’re back. Are you hurt a lot?” She asked. Sunkyu helped to tell Heechul what she said. Sungmin was expecting an answer but Heechul was just silent, staring at her with curiosity for a long moment.

 

“Who are you?” Heechul broke the silent with an unexpected question. Everyone stared at him with surprise. Especially to Sungmin, she held her breath. She felt somehow lost her existence toward him.

 

“Heechul-shi...”

 

“Heenim, are you really all right? Do you lose some of your memory? She’s Sungmin-shi. Our friend” Hyoyeon looked confused.

 

Heechul stared back at Sungmin without saying anything. He noticed some worries in her eyes. His mind kept replaying what Junjin and King Cho’s said last night.

 

“...It’s only a person from royal family level who could do that and make all the judges approved your team who violated gisaeng rules

“How can you be that sure? How do you know she is a good person? You’re talking about her as if you know who she really is...”

 

Heechul lifted up his hand then moved it to carress her hair. He let out a light chuckle “I am kidding”.  Sungmin sighed feeling relieved. She really thought he really didn’t remember her.

 

“It’s not funny, Heenim. We’re worried about you to death” Hyoyeon pouted while giving the wooden stick to him. Heechul glanced at Hangeng “I am tired now. You can go back to your place. You didn’t sleep last night, right?” he said plainly.

 

Heechul placed the wooden stick below his arms and walked just passing Sungmin. Sungmin didn’t know why but she felt something strange from Heechul. She knew he’s tired. His words might be sounded gentle but she could sense coldness in his stares.

 

“You have to go back to your home too, Sungmin-shi” Sungmin turned around and saw Heechul stood at the front door.

 

“It’s not good for a well-respected woman like you visiting a gisaeng house too often. Don’t worry. I am okay. This bruises are nothing for Lady Heehee anyway” he formed a short smile.

 

Those words were like a hard sting to her heart. She knew this might be their last meeting but she didn’t expect Heechul was the one who said a Good Bye first.

 

It’s like her second rejection.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

TBC



A.N : Here the new chapter guys ^^. Sorry for my lateness. I don't reread this chapter now so forgive me for many incorrect grammars. I have a meeting TT__TT. Hope you enjoy this chapter ^^. Please tell me what you think about it by commenting below ^^ !!!. Thank you so much for being a patient reader.

About Kyuhyun's dream, it's a  part of his past. In chapter 18. Choi, it's mentioned once about Kyuhyun's reason why he can't fall in love with her :

....But since a hurtful memories she had done 13 years ago, he couldn’t bring himself to give his heart toward the female (Ch.18).

Since Boyoung's accident 13 years ago, he felt like he couldn't trust Sungmin.