Side Story : Pumpkin's Letters

The Mute Queen

This is a oneshot of Kyuminseo's past. The real next chapter  is on process

 

Gyeongbok Palace, before Kyuhyun became the King

 

The Prince’s face flushed slightly pink putting some papers in a tiny wooden box. He read them again. The ones he collected from his only pen pal a year ago, Pumpkin. It’s a bit sad that they stopped being a penpal since the pumpkin’s identity had been revealed to be a young courtlady named Seohyun. He finally knew her in person. His curiosity about the girl whom a bit childish, and selfish, yet surprisingly sweet and smart only by reading the way her words compiled through her letters now finally fulfilled. But somehow he missed those times when they didn’t know each other’s real identity. Seohyun must be felt guilty that she wrote those letters with such words toward a royal family. She became more shy after that. She even rejected to be called pumpkin again. It's embarassing she said. “They’re cute though” Kyuhyun chuckled as he read some of them.

 

The day you take this paper from this tree’s hole
is the day you get under my spell.
Call me pumpkin, and for now on
you are Green Pepper.
Answer my letter or you will get cursed 
 
To : Pumpkin
What spell? Are you a shaman or just insane?
 I don’t believe such thing.
 I answer your letter not because I am afraid,
 just being alert.
 
To : Green Pepper
By the way, are you a boy? 
Your hand writing is so bad.
 
To : Pumpkin
Why should I answer you whether I am a boy or not?
Your writing is  the worst, 
I have to ask my friend Kangin to translate.
 
To : Green Pepper
Answer my question first. 
Summer will come soon, what’s your plan?
 
To : Pumpkin
I am the one who gave you the question first. 
So answer me!! About summer, I will try my best not to get cooked 
(since I am Green Pepper). How about you?
 
To : Green Pepper
Answer me seriously !!! 
I am not a shaman eventhough it’s a cool job. 
I will  be greater than that someday. 
My plan in summer is training to be a good lady. 
You’re a boy, right?
 
To : Pumpkin
A good lady? Hahahahahahaha... 
It must be taken forever. Fix your smug first. 
Yeah, I am a boy. Is that matter?
 
To : Green Pepper
Of course it’s a matter. 
It must be troublesome if you're gonna fall in love with me. 
My standard is high, you know? 
There is a boy I like anyway.
 
To : Pumpkin
Don’t worry you’re not my type
 
To : Green Pepper
You will regret it someday
 
To : Pumpkin
Don’t put your criteria too high. 
Or You will be single forever.
 
To : Green Pepper
I’ll serve the future King of this country, 
isn’t that cool?
 
To : Pumpkin
Not cool at all
 
To : Green Pepper
Why did your answer come so late?
You’re lucky I am not angry because 
I am in a good mood now. 
Why do you think it’s not cool? 
Are you jealous?
 
To : Pumpkin
Hell NO. Why should I be jealous, Babo!! 
Think properly before you go to the palace, Pumpkin. 
Palace is like a golden prison. 
Once you get in, you can’t escape. 
My father said being a King is the most painfull job of this country.
 
To : Green Pepper
That’s why I want to serve him. 
I will take his pain so he can lead this country well
 

Kyuhyun smiled looking at the letter. ‘I will take his pain so he can lead this country well’. It’s the first time he felt touched by someone whom he had not met yet. At first he thought the Pumpkin would be an ambitious courtlady who purposely flirted with him and aimed to be his queen. But after reading her letter, he could see sincerity in her words. Day by day after that, he became more curious about her and really wanted to meet her in person. That’s why, after he placed his recent letter, he purposely hid behind the promise tree for hours, the place where they put their letters.

 

To : Pumpkin

Firstly please forgive me  for my previous harsh comment

You know it’s a joke, right?

Take the emperor’s pain is not an easy job.

You maybe hurt too, Pumpkin.

 

His first try was fail but he never gave up. He kept waiting everyday to know the real Pumpkin. On the 13th day, he became worried why she hadn’t answer his letter like usual. So he wrote another letter :

 

To : Pumpkin

Are you alright? I am worried.

Please answer me that you’re okay.

If you have any problem, I can help you

I want to see you

 

He came back to the place again the day after. That was his last try to hope. He was frustrated. This endless longing, he didn’t like it at all. He also had his own stress as the new Crown Prince of Jonseong. If she didn’t come this time, he would give up and back to study for preparing to be a new King.

 

But his frustration for waiting the pumpkin finally ended as he caught a young courtlady carefully came to the tree and put something in the hole. He knew the girl. She’s the daughter of Courtlady Ok, his mother’s assistant. He never put any interest toward a courtlady before because he knew he had to marry a woman from a noble family.

 

But now, it’s different. He knew behind her greedy dream, she had a good heart.

 

His pumpkin girl.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



A.N : I am so sorry for a very very very late update guys TT___TT. My professor gave me so much paperworks for my thesis. I notice I gain more subscribers and comments. Thousand lovely cookies for you. Thank you so much TT__TT !!!! I’ll try my best to answer your previous comments too.

Actually this side story is not the real update (just a bonus). I am working on another chapter now. I hope it will be up soon (maybe tomorrow) because I don’t plan to sleep tonight hahahahaha xD. Please enjoy the side story while waiting for me to update the next chapter. Please give me comments about this oneshot story Guys ^^ !! I really hope you like it eventhough it’s short. You know your comment are my energy drink, right?? But You also can criticize me if it's necessary ^^.

For the readers who get confused for this story, you can refer to chapter 26. First Lie where Seohyun lied to Kyuhyun to become his pen pal whom was actually Sungmin.